Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #3881
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet864 View Post
Does anyone else have issues with their Cuttlebug not cutting very intricate dies correctly? I purchased the Fleur de Lis squares this weekend and tried several times to cut it out using different weight cardstock, and although it cuts the exterior of the box, the interior portion doesn't cut all of the way through. I even tried adding a shim, and running the die through several times, gut it still doesn't work. The same thing happened with a dress frame form from La-La Lands crafts.

I don't have any problem cutting simple dies such as circles, squares, ovals, etc., it's just the intricate ones. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There is a video that Memory Box did where it shows them using tape to shim intricate dies in areas that won't cut. Here is a link to their video page, scroll down to the one called "How to shim intricate Memory Box dies"

MemoryBoxCo - YouTube

Hope that helps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #3882
Glitter Queen

Yes, I have. I have a Memory Box die with a spot that doesn't want to cut. I'm thinking it's a defect in the die, and need to contact Memory Box. I have a couple of their dies, as well as the Flour de Lis die, you're talking about, and they all cut fine.

Thanks,
Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet864 View Post
Does anyone else have issues with their Cuttlebug not cutting very intricate dies correctly? I purchased the Fleur de Lis squares this weekend and tried several times to cut it out using different weight cardstock, and although it cuts the exterior of the box, the interior portion doesn't cut all of the way through. I even tried adding a shim, and running the die through several times, gut it still doesn't work. The same thing happened with a dress frame form from La-La Lands crafts.

I don't have any problem cutting simple dies such as circles, squares, ovals, etc., it's just the intricate ones. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #3883
Compulsive Stamper

Is the new Cuttlebug V2 any better than the original? I was thinking about getting one.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #3884
Cardstock Collector

I'm new to die cutting and trying to decide whether to buy the sizziz big kick or the Cuttlebug.....any suggestions on the differences between the two ...want to use the die cutting to Make cards for my hand crafted jewelry that I make from polymer clay. And for embossing on thin sheets of baked clay.. Most of mu polymer clayats use the Sizzix big shot ... A fewer mentioned the Cuttlebug....can't decide and I only want to buy it once...did go into ACMoore with my 50 coupon. It could notable up my mind.. They had the red and white sizziz for $49 ... That would have made it $25 after the coupon... They wantedd$89 for the Cuttlebug ...all opinions welcome
Natalie aka Safti from saftiscreations
Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #3885
Rubber Obsessor

Smile I like the sizzix

Quote:
Originally Posted by safti18 View Post
I'm new to die cutting and trying to decide whether to buy the sizziz big kick or the Cuttlebug.....any suggestions on the differences between the two ...want to use the die cutting to Make cards for my hand crafted jewelry that I make from polymer clay. And for embossing on thin sheets of baked clay.. Most of mu polymer clayats use the Sizzix big shot ... A fewer mentioned the Cuttlebug....can't decide and I only want to buy it once...did go into ACMoore with my 50 coupon. It could notable up my mind.. They had the red and white sizziz for $49 ... That would have made it $25 after the coupon... They wantedd$89 for the Cuttlebug ...all opinions welcome
I have been told the sizzix is a little hardier, which may be important with your putting thin sheets of baked clay in it. I have a red and white big kick and love it so much I bought a second to have on hand if mine ever breaks. I use mine for cards and scrapbooking and have used it almost daily since I got it in 2007. I have never had any problem with it. It cuts everything I put in it. I do have a grand calibur for the oversized dies, but likethe big kick the most. Good luck with which ever you choose.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #3886
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by safti18 View Post
Have not used the Sizzix but do have a Cuttlebug and love it. I ordered my CB online for $40 a couple of years ago but cannot remember the online place.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #3887
Cardstock Collector

Smile Sizzix vs Cuutlebug

Thank you for your input about these machines....is the red& white Sizzix the older version and the perwinkle the newer one?
Natalie
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #3888
Pearl-ExPert

I'm trying to use the new SU Doily Die in the bug and just can not get the right sandwich where it cuts out all the pieces.........Does anyone know what the sandwich is for this die??

Lynn
Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #3889
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post
I'm trying to use the new SU Doily Die in the bug and just can not get the right sandwich where it cuts out all the pieces.........Does anyone know what the sandwich is for this die??

Lynn
If it's this die: Paper Doily Sizzlits Die - by Stampin' Up!

Then the sandwich should be: A, B, die, cardstock, B
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #3890
Pearl-ExPert

Vic....that's the one.......I thought I'd tried that will be try again.

I can get it to cut some of the pieces out but not all. I even tried to add a couple of shims. I'm thinking that maybe I need to get some new B plates as mine are so bad - after two years of use!

Thanks again!

Lynn
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #3891
Cardstock Collector

Default Cuttlebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarroquin View Post
Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby carries it? I would hate to have to go across town to Michael's to get one.
Just bought my first CuttlebugJust from hobby lobby using my 40% off coupon you can get by signing up for their emails. I love it!! Am learning new things to do on it every day enjoy learning from the posts on this blog
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #3892
Crimping Master

Can I use the sizzix Flip-It dies in the cuttlebug and what would be the sandwich? I am in Malaysia and have limited access to crafting supplies. I am worried I might break my cuttlebug and that would be a disaster!!! Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #3893
Cardstock Collector

You can use sissix dies in the cuttlebug. I use the c adapter plate. The sandwich instructions that are on the die package work fine. I haven't tried the extra large or bigs sissix dies. Does anyone know how they work in the cuttlebug?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #3894
Stampin' Fool

Is there a list of materials that the Cuttlebug will cut?
I know that there is a list of some of the things that the
Big Shot with cut. Or are they both like the same as far
as cutting, and they will both cut the same thing? Thanks
for your help.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #3895
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendak View Post
Is there a list of materials that the Cuttlebug will cut?
I know that there is a list of some of the things that the
Big Shot with cut. Or are they both like the same as far
as cutting, and they will both cut the same thing? Thanks
for your help.
They do the same thing. But I have a friend that has a sissix that I have used and it is more heavy duty than my cuttlebug but also heavier and more cumbersome to store and move around which is why I bought the cuttlebug instead. I dont know of any list of materials, to prevent any problems I would definitly research any materials such as chip board or vinyl. If you go to FAQ on cuttlebus on splitcoaststampers you will find a wealth of information! Go to amysings page. see below copied from her page:

Here is a comparison of Big Shot and Cuttlebug from Julie HRR's marvelous blog.

Here is a fantastic resource on the "sandwiches" you can use for all different brands of dies and texture plates, as well as other media. Cat's Fantastic Sandwich Stack List This is the place to find out which dies you can use. (Hint: pretty much all of them. Some will require a few extra accessories.)

When you die cut, it will leave marks on your cutting plate. This is normal. Eventually, your cutting plate will wear out (Provo Craft says it will do about 500 cuts). Then you will need replacements. You should be able to get those at a Michael's, or ask the online retailer where you purchased your Bug.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #3896
Cardstock Collector

yes I used to have the red sissix! it was much heavier than the new one
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #3897
Stampin' Fool

Thank you so much Greeneyed lady, that was really helpful. I
found alot of answers to my many questions.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #3898
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendak View Post
Thank you so much Greeneyed lady, that was really helpful. I
found alot of answers to my many questions.
Glad I could help!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #3899
Compulsive Stamper

Default CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiStevens View Post
Can I use the sizzix Flip-It dies in the cuttlebug and what would be the sandwich? I am in Malaysia and have limited access to crafting supplies. I am worried I might break my cuttlebug and that would be a disaster!!! Thanks in advance for your help.
I broke mine a few months back and it was tragic! I did get a new one in Oz, easy enough, but I almost cry when I see the great prices our friends in the States pay!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #3900
Compulsive Stamper

Default Dead CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
I feel like I hijacked this thread - sorry. I just want to give a reply. I went to our local Joann's today - a new store, but tiny. I think all the die cut machines and supplies are 40% off. Anyway I bought a vagabond for $149 plus tax - close enough in price and I have it now LOL! Not a lot of dies and embossing folders I REALLY needed but I did get a couple of dies. Now I am ready to test drive!
Interesting to read more on this thread I started and interesting to see that there are more machines out there than I knew about! I think if you do masses of this cutting then a spare machine wouldn't be an extravagance. I have only used my new CB a couple of times so far but if I end up using it constantly I could be tempted to buy a spare, having lived through the tragedy of my previous CB's demise!

I haven't had the heart to throw it in the bin though as it is in virtually new perfect condition...just doesn't work any more!! Could not resuscitate the rollers.

Pam
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #3901
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiStevens View Post
Hi! After watching this video I believe that the flip its dies are too wide for the CuttleBug. They look like they fit snuggly into the BigShot - which is wider than the CuttleBug. If Karen Burniston is lurking around - she would know best. After all, she designed them
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #3902
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

Pamela16, I was in the States in April and while in either Jo-ann's or Michaels one day they had a Cuttlebug on special for $45! I have kicked myself for not buying it as a spare! I could have put it in my hand luggage and got it home that way.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #3903
Cardstock Collector

The cuttlebug will cut through most of the same material the sizzix bigshot will. But it depends on the dies you use. Wafer thin dies won't cut through thicker items. The bigz dies and such will.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #3904
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

I have the Rosette die and I tried last night using it for the first time. It didn't cut at all. Here's the sandwich I used, Die, paper, spellbinder crease pads, "B" plate and then I cut some chipboard as a shim and the thin chipboard that comes with the die as a shim too. It didn't work. I was bummed. Do you think it may be because of the paper?? It was just some scrap I had to see how the die would work. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #3905
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
I have the Rosette die and I tried last night using it for the first time. It didn't cut at all. Here's the sandwich I used, Die, paper, spellbinder crease pads, "B" plate and then I cut some chipboard as a shim and the thin chipboard that comes with the die as a shim too. It didn't work. I was bummed. Do you think it may be because of the paper?? It was just some scrap I had to see how the die would work. Any advice will be appreciated.
Hi! Just saw your post...not clear about the sandwich you used...I use the A plate, B plate, die with cutting side UP, paper or other material, and then C plate. This has worked for me even with the more intricate cuts. With thicker cardstock or foam, etc. you may have to pass it through twice. In that case, I sent it through and then roll it back to be sure of cut. Hope this helps! Blessings to you!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #3906
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbygrace View Post
Hi! Just saw your post...not clear about the sandwich you used...I use the A plate, B plate, die with cutting side UP, paper or other material, and then C plate. This has worked for me even with the more intricate cuts. With thicker cardstock or foam, etc. you may have to pass it through twice. In that case, I sent it through and then roll it back to be sure of cut. Hope this helps! Blessings to you!
Is this for the Tim Holtz or Stampin' Up! die? I guess I should have said that it was for Stampin' Up die. I forget that there are other companies that have similar dies too. Thank you for responding.

Last edited by Love2Craft; 08-02-2012 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: fixed my grammar :)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #3907
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Is this for the Tim Holtz or Stampin' Up! die? I guess I should have said that it was for Stampin' Up die. I forget that there are other companies that have similar dies too. Thank you for responding.
I use this Cuttlebug sandwich for any and all dies. So far, so good...
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #3908
Rubber Obsessor

This is the sandwich for Spellbinders and most dies that I use with my CB and it works every time.

Starting at the bottom: To cut only
A Plate
B Plate
Card stock
Die face down on top of c/s
C Plate

To Emboss:
B Plate
Die with c/s attached
Spellbinder pad or other brand on top
B plate
** You may have to add a shim on top of your last B plate.
Sweetsea likes this post.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #3909
Stampin' Fool

Hmm, well I am stumped. I will try a different paper and see if that helps. I have yet to have any problems with the cuttlebug and any dies. Don't it figure, I've been wanting to use this and when I do I actually have an issue. Thanks for the help!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #3910
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hmm, well I am stumped. I will try a different paper and see if that helps. I have yet to have any problems with the cuttlebug and any dies. Don't it figure, I've been wanting to use this and when I do I actually have an issue. Thanks for the help!!
What I have read is that each machine has a different tension to it. My CB is about 5 yrs. old and pretty well broken in so I guess when it's time to get a new one the sandwiches might change. This goes for all machines, Spellbinder, Sizzix, etc.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #3911
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I don't understand why you used the crease pads?

I use A plate, B plate, die facing up, card stock & then the C plate. I use a Cuttlebug. That is my sandwich for ALL thin metal dies. Good Luck!

My Blog
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #3912
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I agree with several of the responders. The C plate is for cutting, the crease pad is usually for embossing. In this case - you want to cut. I've done the rosette die on my cuttlebug and on my bigshot. You'll love it once you get the sandwich correct. GL!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #3913
Stampin' Fool

I thought I had to use a crease pad for the die to get the folds to score better. I didn't even think of not using the crease pads. Now that I think of it, it makes sense. I didn't use a crease pad for the milk carton die. Thank you girls for your help. I will take this as my blonde moment. Now I will have to wait till I get home to try this.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #3914
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I thought I had to use a crease pad for the die to get the folds to score better. I didn't even think of not using the crease pads. Now that I think of it, it makes sense. I didn't use a crease pad for the milk carton die. Thank you girls for your help. I will take this as my blonde moment. Now I will have to wait till I get home to try this.
Is it the Rosette Bigz XL die from SU? If so that sandwich for the cuttlebug would be: B plate, the die, card stock & then another B plate. I thought you were talking about a thin metal die...I just realized it could be the thicker die.

My Blog
Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #3915
Stampin' Fool

Yes it is the SU one. I am still giggling at myself for overthinking this die.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #3916
Crimping Master

Hi ladies! I have looked through here and, while I saw the same question that I have being asked, I could not find the answer. I have a thick red sizzix die and am wondering how to use it in the Cuttlebug if I can. If this is possible, could someone let me know which plates to use? I have looked on You Tube also and can find just about every sandwich except this one. Thanks!!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #3917
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
Hi ladies! I have looked through here and, while I saw the same question that I have being asked, I could not find the answer. I have a thick red sizzix die and am wondering how to use it in the Cuttlebug if I can. If this is possible, could someone let me know which plates to use? I have looked on You Tube also and can find just about every sandwich except this one. Thanks!!

Use A, B, die, cardstock, B
Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #3918
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvics View Post
Use A, B, die, cardstock, B
Well, I just went in and tried it and that A plate is waaay thick. So, I tried B, die, cardstock, B and it worked perfectly So so so happy that this die works in the CB because I really need it right now
Old 08-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #3919
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
Well, I just went in and tried it and that A plate is waaay thick. So, I tried B, die, cardstock, B and it worked perfectly So so so happy that this die works in the CB because I really need it right now
I apologize - the A plate is not used with the thick dies. I should have waited until after my nap to answer. LOL Anyway glad you tried and had success.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #3920
Stampin' Fool

I got it to go!! Finally, I was just having a blond moment. Thank you all for your help!