Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #3841
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I have all the Cuttlebug alphabets but want a larger alpha die set. I see there is a Serif Essentials Bigz 655128 out there. Does anyone know if that would cut in my Bug?
I don't own that particular die set, but they appear to be standard size Bigz dies. They should go through the machine without any problems. You won't need to use your A plate. The sandwich that usually works is B Plate, card stock, die (cutting side down), B Plate. Hope that helps, maybe someone who has the die set can verify but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #3842
Embossing Fanatic

Hi all,

By chance, I just came across a fotobella.com YT video showing a new 'Universal Magnet Platform Die cut' which works in all embossing machines including the Cuttlebug. Anyone else ever here of this company or Lifestyle Crafts?

Here is a link to the YT video:
New Universal Magnetic Platform for Die Cutting from Lifestyle Crafts - CHA Jan 2012

Just when I purchased the 13" Cuttlebug platforms another product (which might be better) comes out, geez.

Best, Mollyz
Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #3843
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R
Default Quickcutz Dies

i am looking for a larger set of Alphabet dies. I have all the Cuttlebug ones but want something bigger, about 2"tall. I am looking at the Quickctuz Alpha dies, English Rose and Diesel. Does anyone know if they work in the bug and if so what will they cut? I have also looked at a Bigz die called Serif Essentials and wondered about that.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #3844
Compulsive Stamper

Hi all. Just accidentally killed my lovely hardly used 3 yr old Cuttlebug and need to replace it. But maybe I should look at the Big Shot. Have seen some old comparisons but can't seem to find a more recent one. (I'm failry new to Splitcoast so still figuring out where everything is). I'm in Australia and can't find much info on local websites.
I know I can used folders and dies from CB on the BS, but can the plates be interchanged? Just thinking that I'd have spare ones if I stick with CB but they'll be useless if I can't use them on a BS. And as I have to pay well over $100 here for either machine I need to economise where possible. And death of CB was my own silly fault! Grrrr....
Thanks, Pam
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #3845
Matboard Maniac

Exclamation

Quote:
i am looking for a larger set of Alphabet dies. I have all the Cuttlebug ones but want something bigger, about 2"tall. I am looking at the Quickctuz Alpha dies, English Rose and Diesel. Does anyone know if they work in the bug and if so what will they cut? I have also looked at a Bigz die called Serif Essentials and wondered about that.
Jan, I've used Quickcutz dies in the Cuttlebug & they cut very nicely - it was just a matter of having the correct sandwich of plates. The Quickcutz are fairly thin so probably would only cut card - not sure about chipboard. I only have access to the machine at my craft group so can't check it out now.

Most dies from all companies seem to be interchangeable with the only caveat being that the machine must have a wide enough entrance to allow them through. I picked up a big old red brick Sizzix & it theoretically can't cut Bigz dies because they're too wide. A friend's husband fixed that - cut them with a jigsaw or similar & now I can use them.

The Bigz also work in the cuttlebug and should cut heavier material like chipboard & thin metal. The blades are quite deep & that is a large part of what determines what material it can cut through.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog

Last edited by Circe; 04-10-2012 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: Add information
Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #3846
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela16 View Post
Hi all. Just accidentally killed my lovely hardly used 3 yr old Cuttlebug and need to replace it. But maybe I should look at the Big Shot. Have seen some old comparisons but can't seem to find a more recent one. (I'm failry new to Splitcoast so still figuring out where everything is). I'm in Australia and can't find much info on local websites.
I know I can used folders and dies from CB on the BS, but can the plates be interchanged? Just thinking that I'd have spare ones if I stick with CB but they'll be useless if I can't use them on a BS. And as I have to pay well over $100 here for either machine I need to economise where possible. And death of CB was my own silly fault! Grrrr....
Thanks, Pam
Pam. I can't help you with the plates but I'm wondering...if the CB is dead, is it worth taking to it with screwdriver in hand & doing some internal surgery. At this point there's nothing lost, plus I have a vague memory of someone who managed a repair.

It's fairly basic mechanics - there's nothing electrical to pose a risk. If you find a broken part, take it to a handy friend or local hardware store or even look for something lying around the house that might be a workable substitute.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #3847
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela16 View Post
Thanks, Pam

Pam, had something similar happen to mine and called the manufacturer Provo Craft or go on their website. They were extremely helpful so would suggest to give them a try.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #3848
Compulsive Stamper

Default Cuttlebug

Thanks Caterina. I emailed Provocraft but they didn't pay attention to the details in my email (like I was in Australia and it was out of warranty!) So I wrote again and got the same standard email, same wording, again suggesting I call the American phone number. So I've given up on that one!

Am resigned to having to pay over $100 for a one one now, or look at the Big Shot. I did see a second hand CB on sale on Gumtree (do you have that in the States, like ebay sort of?) so I might try that first. If that CB dies too, then it will definitely be the Big Shot!

Cheers,
Pam
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #3849
Compulsive Stamper

Default Cuttlebug

And thanks Elizabeth as well. I actually thought I might do that. I can wield a screwdriver! If it isn't working anyway, nothing lost! I did get my brother-in-law to cast his male eye over it but he wasn't successful either. Have read on some forums that other people have had similar problems with their CBs so it could be a design fault, on the older model anyway.

I accept that it was my fault putting the too fat sandwich through, but as there are so few working parts (wheels or cogs in the left side) I thought it would be an easy fix.

Oh well, as I said to Caterina, I'm resigned to parting company with that chunk of money. No vouchers or specials down here I'm afraid!

Thanks again.

Pam
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #3850
Insane Embellisher

Pam, I have just returned from a holiday in the U.S.A. and got to go into a Jo-Ann and Michael's store. Jo-Ann had a special on Cuttlebug machines, $45! I was tempted to buy one as a spare! LOL. I bought the Serif Essentials die and the Quickcutz English Rose and they both work fine in the bug. English Rose won't do chipboard though, but will do foam sheets. I was very pleased with them. I actually got them from Amazon before I left. Their postage is so much cheaper than ebay sellers or craft stores over there. Had a ball in Jo-Ann!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #3851
Gallery Gazer

Lucky you Jan! Have fun playing. I hope you had a great trip besides the craft stores lol.
I've just bought some stamp and emboss and stamp and die sets
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #3852
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Pam, I have just returned from a holiday in the U.S.A. and got to go into a Jo-Ann and Michael's store. Jo-Ann had a special on Cuttlebug machines, $45! I was tempted to buy one as a spare! LOL. I bought the Serif Essentials die and the Quickcutz English Rose and they both work fine in the bug. English Rose won't do chipboard though, but will do foam sheets. I was very pleased with them. I actually got them from Amazon before I left. Their postage is so much cheaper than ebay sellers or craft stores over there. Had a ball in Jo-Ann!
You lucky devil Jan! You should have stuffed it into your suitcase, 23kg limit be damned! If I'd known what was going to happen to my CB I'd have bought one when I was there last August! (And squeezed it into my case along with my coffee machine from Europe!) I got to visit a Michael's store (and went a bit nuts, as you can imagine) but don't know Jo-ann's, Next time! Especially with our exchange rate! Oh well, I have now bought a new CB through ebay and was happy enough with $119.90, not much better for us poor Aussies! Hope to see it this week.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #3853
Cardstock Collector

I just bought a cuttlebug and saw that their is a cuttlebug group but I can't find it? How do I find a certain group for help and ideas and things? ooops i think I am in the right place...sorry

Last edited by Bookster; 04-23-2012 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: already in the right place (I think)
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #3854
Insane Embellisher

Hi Bookster, yes you are in the right place on this forum. Ask away and any questions will be answered in no time. Or if you have a few days to spare, go to page 1 on this forum and start reading! LOL. I actually did that with a couple of forums when I first started here at SCS and was so pleased with all the info. If you do go back over old messages, take notesor note the post number, as if you don't when you find something that interests you it is hard to find again. Enjoy your Bug.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #3855
Cardstock Collector

Default Jan R on my new cuttle

Thank you Jan. I ordered it from Amazon so it is not hear yet. For the life of me I could not find one but I got a good deal and free shippping! I am excited waiting for it and wanted to do some reading up and maybe go ahead and buy some die cuts so I can use it right away! I bookmarked this forum. I appreciate your reply
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #3856
Insane Embellisher

You are welcome Bookster. Remember too that any brand dies or embossing folders will work in the bug or so I have found.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #3857
Cardstock Collector

Default Mrs

Thanks...for...sharing...

Bathroom tile ideas
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #3858
Cardstock Collector

hi everyone can tim holtz dies work in the cuttlebug???
thank you terry
Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #3859
Pearl-ExPert

I use a TH flower die in my bug and it works just fine.

Also, does anyone know the sandwich for using the SU Doily Die in bug? I've tried a couple of things but can't get it to cut all the way through.

Lynn
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #3860
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

I just bought the new Stampin Up Petite Purse die but I cannot get it to go through my CB. I tried this sandwich - B plate, Big L die (face up), cardstock then B plate. The B plates are to short to fully cover the Big L die so it will not go through. Just ends up pushing the plates out from on top of and under the die. Any ideas or are there longer cutting plates available for the CB? TIA!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #3861
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
I just bought the new Stampin Up Petite Purse die but I cannot get it to go through my CB. I tried this sandwich - B plate, Big L die (face up), cardstock then B plate. The B plates are to short to fully cover the Big L die so it will not go through. Just ends up pushing the plates out from on top of and under the die. Any ideas or are there longer cutting plates available for the CB? TIA!
Yes, they make longer plates and they are frequently on sale for 40% off at Joann.com; otherwise it can be pricy if you get the longer A, B, and C. Be sure to sign up for their email newsletter as there are always coupons.

Sounds like you only need the B set right now!

6x13" set of two B plates:
Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Cutting Mats - 2PK

6x13" A platform:
Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Spacer Mat A

6x13" C adapter:
Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Adapter Mat - 1PK

Watch for them to go on sale, at 40% off, then they are only $11.99 each and you can buy them with a free shipping coupon, LOL!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #3862
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Joann. com has the 13" plates: Cuttlebug 6''x13'' Cutting Mats - 2PK*: dies & accessories*: die cut machines & accessories*: scrapbooking*: *Shop | Joann.com All three (A, B & C) are available.

Not on sale today, but frequently are.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #3863
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Cuttlebug does make B extended cutting plates. They are 6"x13" and they work great with the Sizzix XL dies. Here is a link to a set that you can buy on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/6-Inch-13-Inch.../dp/B0045549TE

Hopefully that will fix the problem that you are having. Good luck!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #3864
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk3868 View Post
Cuttlebug does make B extended cutting plates. They are 6"x13" and they work great with the Sizzix XL dies. Here is a link to a set that you can buy on amazon.com: Amazon.com: Provo Craft 6-Inch by 13-Inch Cuttlebug Cutting Mats B, 2-Pack: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Hopefully that will fix the problem that you are having. Good luck!!
That is a good price but it is not shipped by Amazon, so with the shipping it is almost full price. Still, no sales tax!

If you order from Joann, there is a 50% off any one item through May 12, 2012:
50% off any one regular-priced item* Use promotion code HJW133
OR
FREE SHIPPING with a $50 minimum purchase Use promotion code WBD140

Still, it is better to wait until they are 40% off, and they frequently ARE on sale, then use a free shipping coupon.

If you only need the B plates right now, the 50% off coupon will offset the shipping charges.

HTH!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #3865
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

you girls are awesome! I knew if I posted here someone would be able to help me! Luckily I have a Joann's close by so I will check to see if they have to extended cutting pads in store. If not I may have to take advantage of the 50% til 5/12.

Thanks again ladies! SCSers ROCK!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #3866
Glitter Queen

Hi ya!

If you don't find the plates at Joanns, check your local Michaels. Not all of the Michaels seems to stock them, so you may have to visit a couple.

Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3867
Die Cut Diva

Hi Girls,

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Cottage Cutz Dies? Scraping Cottage sells them. Their website says they are cuttlebug compatible, but I was wondering about their listed measurements and what that means. For instance, one that is labeled as measuring 4x4 will have 2 or 3 dies in the pic and that seems to imply (at least to me) that they are one piece that has several cuts on a single die. However, they say they are "thin metal dies" and they sell foam separately to "eject" images. I'm having trouble imagining what they really look like and how large each image really is.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #3868
Insane Embellisher

I have just bought and used my first Quickcutz die in my Cuttlebug. It is the Birdcage die and although it said it was a 4 x 4 die, the die itself actually measures 3.75 x 3.75. The finished birdcage is about 3.25 x 2. I was surprised that it wasn't all in one piece though, the cage itself had to be assembled and comprised 8 separate pieces, plus the perch and two birds. I got to and cut out about 6 and then sat and assembled them to use at a later date. I have wanted a birdcage die for ages and had been looking at the Tim Holtz one, but this one is smaller and more intricate looking and I am really happy with it.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #3869
Die Cut Diva

Thank You, Jan.

Wow! there are a lot of Jans on this page.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #3870
Inking Addict

I almost ruined my cuttlebug day before yesterday! And though i managed to save it from complete and utter disaster, i had been thinking of screaming for help here during my moments of panic, so i thought i would relate the incident even though the storm has passed.

I had been meaning to design baby announcements for my 2nd due anytime now, and often get only little amounts of time while my first is indisposed for a few to rush out my craft stuff and tinker with it. it doesnt help that i'm staying at my inlaws in the meantime, so the lack of comfortable creative space sometimes is deeply felt. anyhoo, i was trying various sandwiches to get my set of fiskars texture plates to make as grand an impression as CB and timholtz embossing folders do: theres a cute hand an feet texture plate that i had thought would be perfect for use, but alas, since i dont own spellbinders mats, and there isnt any of those official things available in my country, i was improvising with foamic sheets and this very handy craft magazine bonus mini mag i have that seems to work perfectly for filling up spellbinder gaps.

however, the sandwich just didnt seem to be going through right, and getting frustrated, i was insane enough to remove the B plate off the top and leave the set of foamic sheets on the very top uncovered, and the CB's top roller ATE the WHOLE WAD of them! and the next 15 minutes or so that i spent trying to tear, pull, cut them out were regardless spent cursing my bout of insanity.

strangely enough, while there was a whole pile inside the top section of the bug, the sandwhiches seemed to run through without a glitch. Still, i knew that i could in no way afford to dismantle the bug.

here's how i eventually got them out. and i did get them ALL out: I pressed the protuding sheets against the roller with my fingers and simultaneously turned the handle, so that they were pulled out by the rollers aid. it seems simple enough now, but pulling them and doing the same thing doesnt help at all. i guess it was somehwat imitating the CB rolling function that helped. and i'm extremely relieved, not touching my fiskars for a while, and sticking to the pure and simple CB folders for a while!

thanks for reading my rant.

On a side note i stuck with the simple polka dot folder and am pretty happy with the final design of the announcemnt cards that i'm working on. i shall be sure to post them in the gallery soon!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #3871
Forum Fanatic

I did something similar with my big shot and a tan embossing pad but luckily my brain kicked in before it got too far in. I was able to back it out but just barely.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #3872
Stazon Splitcoast

My CB has been dying a slow death, and now it seems like the end is very near. I use it for nearly every card - with Nesties for circles and ovals, embossing folders, or some other item - and some times half a dozen passes for a card. So I am not surprised!

I have two questions - should I think about getting a different machine - though I have no complaints about the Cuttlebug.
Then, where is the best deal right now?

Thanks, every one.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #3873
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
My CB has been dying a slow death, and now it seems like the end is very near. I use it for nearly every card - with Nesties for circles and ovals, embossing folders, or some other item - and some times half a dozen passes for a card. So I am not surprised!

I have two questions - should I think about getting a different machine - though I have no complaints about the Cuttlebug.
Then, where is the best deal right now?

Thanks, every one.
With that much use, I think you would really enjoy the Vagabond. Overstock.com has an excellent price right now, and if you get their emails you may be able to add another 7 to 10% off and thsir shipping is always $2.95. I bought mine at Oh My Crafts but I believe the Vagabond is excluded from their coupons now. Again, be sure to sign up for their emails to get a discount code.

I too had a Cuttlebug that I really loved. What I really like, other than the ease of push button die cutting, is the same small footprint on my tabletop. If you have room for the bug, you have room for the Vagabond. It folds closed in just the same way.

It is also essential to purchase the Solo Die Adapter to allow it to cut wafer thin ties like Spellbinders; of course the new bug ships without a C plate so that is equivalent also.

For embossing Spellbinders dies, just use two of the tan embossing mats instead of one with your standard cutting plates (Solo Die Adapteris removed at this point).

I have not regretted this purchase for one moment!
HTH!

Last edited by lynnephelps; 05-19-2012 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Fixed stupid autocorrect typo!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #3874
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you, Lynne. You encouraged me to do more research - I think the vagabond is the answer. It seems to have disappeared from Overstock during the day today but I will check other options.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #3875
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
Thank you, Lynne. You encouraged me to do more research - I think the vagabond is the answer. It seems to have disappeared from Overstock during the day today but I will check other options.

It's on Overstock: Sizzix Vagabond Machine Inspired by Tim Holtz | Overstock.com
Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #3876
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel like I hijacked this thread - sorry. I just want to give a reply. I went to our local Joann's today - a new store, but tiny. I think all the die cut machines and supplies are 40% off. Anyway I bought a vagabond for $149 plus tax - close enough in price and I have it now LOL! Not a lot of dies and embossing folders I REALLY needed but I did get a couple of dies. Now I am ready to test drive!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #3877
Cardstock Collector

Does anyone else have issues with their Cuttlebug not cutting very intricate dies correctly? I purchased the Fleur de Lis squares this weekend and tried several times to cut it out using different weight cardstock, and although it cuts the exterior of the box, the interior portion doesn't cut all of the way through. I even tried adding a shim, and running the die through several times, gut it still doesn't work. The same thing happened with a dress frame form from La-La Lands crafts.

I don't have any problem cutting simple dies such as circles, squares, ovals, etc., it's just the intricate ones. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #3878
Rubber Obsessor

I have that exat die and haven't had any problem with my CB. This is the sandwich I use. Starting at the bottom:
1. "A" plate
2. "B" plate
3. Card stock with die face down on top of that.
4. "C" Plate

To emboss (So that the rim is raised)
*Leave die attach to card stock.
1. "A" plate
2. "B" plate
3. Die face up
4. Spellbinder Tan Mat
5. "B" plate
Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #3879
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet864 View Post
Does anyone else have issues with their Cuttlebug not cutting very intricate dies correctly? I purchased the Fleur de Lis squares this weekend and tried several times to cut it out using different weight cardstock, and although it cuts the exterior of the box, the interior portion doesn't cut all of the way through. I even tried adding a shim, and running the die through several times, gut it still doesn't work. The same thing happened with a dress frame form from La-La Lands crafts.

I don't have any problem cutting simple dies such as circles, squares, ovals, etc., it's just the intricate ones. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, I have some memory box dies that no matter what card stock or sandwich or how many shims, it won't cut completely.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #3880
Rubber Obsessor

Have you tried shimming only the area that does not cut? Cheery Lynn Designs has a video that is helpful with cutting intricate dies.