Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #281
Watercolor Wizard

I got mine in about two weeks. But I do not think I will order from them again. It bothers me that they don't send an email of confirmation. I think that is bad business! LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunson
I saw the earlier link to Heartfeltscrapbooking.com. Has anyone else had trouble with this company. I ordered 5 embossing folders six weeks ago, never got a confirmation or any contact but the money was transferred from my paypal account. I finally (after emails and phone calls) talked to someone who said they could not keep these things in stock, but they did receive my order and would ship as they came in. As of today, I have received 3 of the 5.

The fella I talked to was very nice and apologetic, but I will not order from them again. I did order and receive all of the folders from other sites and received them all in a very timely manner. Although they are duplicates, I have a friend who is in no hurry to buy as she can use mine in the meantime. So she will buy my duplicates.

I'm anxious to hear if any others of you have had to wait so long.
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #282
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to lezzels Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

Hooray.........the postie just delivered my paisley die .............guess I'll have to go play........and I'm really pleased my DDIL has just started scrappin and I got her a side kick for 57% off for her belated birthday pressie I know she will love it.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #283
SCS RAK Coordinator

Send a message via MSN to g33kgr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanerme
So did it work for you? I was a rebel too, that's why I tried it again with the 2nd Cuttlebug, but, alas, that one broke too. LM
Ok, I just got the guts to try it... and it worked. I was VERY careful. I chickened out 3 times before I finally cranked it all the way through! I think what helped was holding the back of the sandwich together and guiding it a little... it is hard to explain. I guess I finally felt it giving a little and kept cranking. A few times it was stiff so I took apart the sandwich and adjusted things and then tried again and it felt better.

It is scary!!! I really didn't want to break my 'bug. I think you have to be MUCH more careful than when using the CB folders. If it was a question of just having the Fiskars and using them to save money--I wouldn't chance it and just CB folders. But I really love a few of the Fiskars templates so I was determined to try it!

BTW, I used the plate A/Fiskars Template/cardstock/rubber gasket/plate C sandwich.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #284
SCS RAK Coordinator

I just tried a Sizzlet die. It worked great. Same sandwich as a CB die.

My Joann's has all their Sizzix dies on clearance, so for $9.97 I couldn't resist.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #285
Watercolor Wizard

I really appreciate that you posted the picture of the Rubber Gasket. I went to another Home Depot today, and found the exact same package you showed in the picture. When I got it home, I compared it to what I had used in my CB, and the one like yours is much less stiff and a tad bit thinner (even though mine did say 1/16"). So the question is...do it try it again?? Will the third time be the charm? What do you all think? If I knew how to do a poll, I would do it for this. I really would like to use my Fiskars Ocean Wave Texture Plate for the card I am making. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kgr1
Ok, I just got the guts to try it... and it worked. I was VERY careful. I chickened out 3 times before I finally cranked it all the way through! I think what helped was holding the back of the sandwich together and guiding it a little... it is hard to explain. I guess I finally felt it giving a little and kept cranking. A few times it was stiff so I took apart the sandwich and adjusted things and then tried again and it felt better.

It is scary!!! I really didn't want to break my 'bug. I think you have to be MUCH more careful than when using the CB folders. If it was a question of just having the Fiskars and using them to save money--I wouldn't chance it and just CB folders. But I really love a few of the Fiskars templates so I was determined to try it!

BTW, I used the plate A/Fiskars Template/cardstock/rubber gasket/plate C sandwich.
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #286
Glitter Queen

I found a "six pocket garden bag" at Ace Hardware for $9.99 that looks very much like those cute bags at Archivers. It has six pockets on the outside and four on the inside, with the main compartment large enough for my CB machine. The inside pockets are large enough for the plates. It was on the front page of the sales circular. It's perfect for dragging my CB to my friends house for a crop and scrap afternoon.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #287
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So the question is...do it try it again?? Will the third time be the charm? What do you all think?
LM, I refuse to take responsibility for you breaking a third Bug! The Bugs will become angry with me, and chase me around my craft room! Muahahaha!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #288
Watercolor Wizard

Amy...I am totally LOL! You are TOO funny! LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
LM, I refuse to take responsibility for you breaking a third Bug! The Bugs will become angry with me, and chase me around my craft room! Muahahaha!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 AM   #289
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:
I really appreciate that you posted the picture of the Rubber Gasket. I went to another Home Depot today, and found the exact same package you showed in the picture. When I got it home, I compared it to what I had used in my CB, and the one like yours is much less stiff and a tad bit thinner (even though mine did say 1/16"). So the question is...do it try it again?? Will the third time be the charm? What do you all think? If I knew how to do a poll, I would do it for this. I really would like to use my Fiskars Ocean Wave Texture Plate for the card I am making. LM
I guess you have the advantage... you know what the machine "feels" like before it cracks! Maybe you could attempt it... and abort if it feels wrong? I don't know... maybe your bug is very choosy! My bug is obviously a shameless hussy and will take anything... hahaha
Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #290
Stazon Splitcoast

Leanerme,

Here is another thought I had: I had to break my Bug in a bit. Start with embossing folders. Then a few CB dies. Then some Sizzix small dies. Then the mondo Sizzix dies. I would never have been able to use the large Sizzix right away, but after a few days I could.

Maybe that would work for you?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #291
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Default Fiskars Plates Question

I had a friend who just got a bug earlier this week and got the set of Fiskars plates. She tried them in the "bugger", used many of the suggestions from here and it really was not successful in her opinion. She is planning to return the Fiskars plates and stick to the embossing folders for the bug.

Has anyone had good luck with these plates? What did you do? Or, since they truly are not made for this machine, the results will be less that what the CB embossing folders will produce. I had planned to buy these plates, but now I am not sure.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #292
Rubber Obsessor

Default Fiskar plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaralynn
Has anyone had good luck with these plates?
I tried the Fiskar plates also using several different sandwiches, and wasn't happy with the results - I returned mine -I have a friend who tried them and was happy with them, so I guess its all up to our individual taste. I love the nice crisp impressions from the CB embossing folders!
Nancy
Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #293
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I had a friend who just got a bug earlier this week and got the set of Fiskars plates. She tried them in the "bugger", used many of the suggestions from here and it really was not successful in her opinion. She is planning to return the Fiskars plates and stick to the embossing folders for the bug.

Has anyone had good luck with these plates? What did you do? Or, since they truly are not made for this machine, the results will be less that what the CB embossing folders will produce. I had planned to buy these plates, but now I am not sure.

The only other plates I have tried are the Sizzix Simple Impressions and they work very well with just one cardboard shim. They had a big sale recently on the Sizzix site and I bought a bunch of them. They are a folder-type with a brass plate on one side and plastic on the other.

They don't come in a background style, just images.

Here is an example of a doggie card I did:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=95067

And a kitty card:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=95067

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #294
Kookie Creator

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I haven't tried this site, however, my SIL has and was very pleased with them. Go to www.scrappyland.com they have the folders for the CB on sale at the moment for $3.99. I'm visiting in VIrginia at the moment and our AC Moore is getting a nice selection of the CB folers and diecuts in. The folders I found were $4.99 and I bought one that I didn't have. I love my CB, especially the embossing folders for backgrounds. Cheaper then buying the stamps.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #295
Polyshrink Goddess

Is that the right link? It brings me to a site devoted to some cartoon character.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #296
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have all the fiskers plates and they work great. If you look at the begining of the thread under Cat's sandwichs stack, you will see three options to do the plates. I have tried all three methods. The one that I found to be the most userfriendly and emboss the image the best is the rubber gasket that is mentioned. I got it at home Depot in isle 11 half way down the plumbing isle, it comes in 2 6x6 sheets for $3.99, it's also called shower lining. I used the plates that "Cat" suggested and it works great, the image is not as deep, but that is becuase they were not made exclusivly for the bug. If I remember correctly, Plate A, fiskars template, cardstock, rubber gasket, plate c. I have had great results with this method. I will try and upload some of the ones I made.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #297
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennt
Is that the right link? It brings me to a site devoted to some cartoon character.
Had same problem & figured it out - should be www.scrapyland.com
Nancy
Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #298
Polyshrink Goddess

this recipe worked for me

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 05-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #299
Polyshrink Goddess

well, i pressed soemthing wrong !

this is the recipe that worked:

plate A
the famous rubber gasket
cardstock to be imprinted
fiskars template (with area desired facing the cardstock)
another gasket
another fiskars plate.

the nice thing is that i could make the area wider than the CB embossing folders by positioning the fiskars plates horizontally instead of vertically....

i think every bug is different....so be gentle

Old 05-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #300
Compulsive Stamper

Anyone have this problem with their Red tag sale alpha - my big letter C is flat at the top instead of curved, I took it back and exchanged it for another one but it is the same way.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #301
Stazon Splitcoast

Yup--the first run of Red Tag has this defect. Call Provocraft and they'll send you a new plate for the C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlysmom
Anyone have this problem with their Red tag sale alpha - my big letter C is flat at the top instead of curved, I took it back and exchanged it for another one but it is the same way.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #302
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you amysings you are so informative.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #303
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks! LOL The internet is the perfect forum for me--I'm by nature a know-it-all! Informative sounds so much nicer!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 AM   #304
Failed Lurker

I haven't read the whole thread but I've done a search for this query and can't find it - so I apologise if it's already been addressed.

It's a suction issue - but the opposite of the problems others have had. I used my CB on a nice smooth surface for the first time yesterday but couldn't deactivate the suction pads afterwards. So, basically, it's still there! I didn't want to force it but couldn't find any instructions for removing it - any tips please?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 AM   #305
Hardware Hotshot

Have you tried opening and closing it again, several times? Just gently rocking it back and forth? Try sliding a very flat spatula under it.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #306
Polyshrink Goddess

just use your fingers to pry up an edge of the suction thingy....mine does that on occasion.....and sometimes it loses suction midway thru !!

they are tempermental little bugs at times

Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 AM   #307
Embossing Fanatic

I didn't do it on purpose, but, when use my bug I always seem to have it on the graph paper pad from SU. It holds no problem but hasn't ever stayed stuck. Maybe put paper under it when you use it?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #308
Failed Lurker

Just tried it again and it worked simply by lifting the flaps back up! Thanks for the suggestions, though - I'll save them for next time.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #309
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGKV
I have all the fiskers plates and they work great. If you look at the begining of the thread under Cat's sandwichs stack, you will see three options to do the plates. I have tried all three methods. The one that I found to be the most userfriendly and emboss the image the best is the rubber gasket that is mentioned. I got it at home Depot in isle 11 half way down the plumbing isle, it comes in 2 6x6 sheets for $3.99, it's also called shower lining. I used the plates that "Cat" suggested and it works great, the image is not as deep, but that is becuase they were not made exclusivly for the bug. If I remember correctly, Plate A, fiskars template, cardstock, rubber gasket, plate c. I have had great results with this method. I will try and upload some of the ones I made.
I bought the bug just for the fiskars plates alone. I have 36 designs and love them all. The bug folders are wonderful but I have used the fiskars swirl more because it is "softer". If you want the image to be crisper.....LIGHTLY spritz the cardstock with water before embossing.
I use the stack of A, fiskars, paper, 2 rubber gaskets, B. This is using gaskets from Rona in Canada. I am thinking they are not the same thickness as others.
I found trying different combinations made me come up with what works for me. I am very very happy with the outcome and so happy that I was able to get 4 images for the price of one cuttlebug folder! I have lots of folders also though and will continue collecting those also.
member #11852

Where the spirt of the lord is, there is freedom.
2nd Corinthinas 3:17
I believe in the dark what I was told in the light.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #310
Kookie Creator

OK exactly what SIZE and kind of Gasket do I ask for.....is it for plumbing????

Chris.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #311
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Love my bug!
But I have one quick question:
How do you emboss with a folder without getting the folder edges embossed on your cardstock?
Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #312
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciann
OK exactly what SIZE and kind of Gasket do I ask for.....is it for plumbing????
There is a picture in message # 273
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #313
Failed Lurker

Ok, this time I HAVE read through the whole thread and found the question I want to ask but couldn't see an answer. I've only been using my CB a few days and have been using my one CB 3x3 die on regular cardstock only. But already, today, it's started not cutting all the way through. I can make it work if I roll it back and forth two or three times but this is tedious. I've also noticed that the foam is depressed in a couple of places on the die. I don't think I've been doing anything wrong so any idea what's up.... please?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #314
Stazon Splitcoast

Are you cutting that die along with others? Sometimes if I have my dies too close to each other, that will happen. But if I run it thru by itself, it's fine.

Another possibility is that the cutting plate is warped a bit in that particular place. Try moving your die around *on* your B plate.

Some of my dies have the foam a little smashed, but it hasn't affected the cutting. Some of my dies have to be run thru a couple times to cut. It's a mechanical system, and they aren't perfectly uniform.

If your die has visible problems, it may be defective. Try returning it to your store, or call Provo Craft.

Hope one of these ideas helps!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #315
Failed Lurker

Thanks, Amy - you rock! Could you come over here for a while to help me through the early days with my "new baby" (as DD calls it!)?

I'm using the die on its own (I only have the one!) so will try moving it around the plate. I don't really want to have to return it to the store as I bought it online from the States and I'm in England. In fact, having read the thread, I'm now dreading the day when my B plates crack as I'm sure it will be a big challenge to replace them. Perhaps I should get some in when I see them, just in case?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #316
Polyshrink Goddess

i sure would buy some extra b plates if you can.....i think if you only emboss with the CB embossing folders you shouldnt need replacements, but the dies do cut into the plate and i am sure that would eventually lead to breakage.

i broke 2 B plates, but i was using the large sizzix dies while doing so.....even though they are broken, i can still use the parts ! waste not want not

Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #317
Embossing Fanatic

I would definitely (spelling?) buy extra! I have a set I use for embossing only and a set for die cutting. I'm a neat freak so thats why I like having both sets, but also if the one does break, I have a set that I can use until I get the other replaced. I hate that the dies cut into the plates! But LOVE my bug!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #318
Kookie Creator

Though wasteful, My friend has used two sheets of cardstock and the die will cut through the first one! Cheap white is the best!! Some Cuttlebugs just seem to cut diferently!

Chris.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #319
Kookie Creator

Just had a brain wave just put the extra cardstock under where the die can't cut it.......DUH

Chris.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #320
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via AIM to slimpat Send a message via Yahoo to slimpat

If you have trouble getting the plates I would think you could take one into a place that sells plexiglass and have them cut a couple for you you would have to be sure it was the same thinkness or even a little less and use some cardstock as a shim under the entire sandwich.

Pat in MI
John 3:16
I John 3:16