Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #2841
Kookie Creator

Send a message via AIM to willowby

ok thanks will do that right now!!

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #2842
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Do you know what dies work or do not work with the CB?
I haven't bought a die yet that I can't use in the bug. I have many from SU!/sissix, provo craft and spellbinder dies.
2014-100 by 100 - First Round (178 of 100 complete)
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #2843
Matboard Maniac

I too have given up looking for my answer to my question. I hope you don't mind me asking it (newbie!) as I am sure it has been asked many, many times before.

The Big Shot die cutters work with the CB, correct?

Thanks ladies!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #2844
Kookie Creator

Yes, with b plates.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #2845
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowby View Post
ok; I need help! I have seen the add for Cricut Expressions..and think I would absolutely love that..but am also thinking I just need the cuttlebug...I have been debating this for FOREVER..money is a big factor. I love making cards..and scrapbooking; and love the embossed papers. I wish for those all the time on WishRak..and thats the only way I can get any. I am not sure I would use all the other features that a Cricut has to offer that would make it worth me spending that amount of money...but dont want to spend the money on Cuttlebug and then later wish I had more options..ANY SUGGESTIONS.??
Also: if I purchase the Cuttlebug..is it going to cost me an arm and leg to get the folders that I would need ??
Hi Willowby-

I too was going between the two machines. Thinking the CB would work for what I need, as would the Cricut - but would I use the Cricut to its full capacity to justify the cost of the machine and many cartridges?

I decided to get the CB. In fact, went to get it today and now have one on order (long story!). There is a 50% off coupon for Michael's until 9/19. The CB is not on sale, so qualifies. Their price is $79.99, making the discounted price $39.99! How can you go wrong for that price?!

The other reasons I decided on CB were:

~ It is pretty portable
~ If you get it on sale, the price is about that of two stamp sets
~ Discount coupons that are for Michael's and Joann's exclude Cricut items and do work on CB
~ I can use other die cuts (when I get that advanced!) with the CB

I also figured if I really felt that I needed a Cricut after I used my CB, I could always get one!

I am so looking forward to getting my CB.....they were out all over town, so mine will be in the end of next week (so no playing with new toy as planned this evening!).

Let us know what you decide! Good luck!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #2846
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
ok; I need help! I have seen the add for Cricut Expressions..and think I would absolutely love that..but am also thinking I just need the cuttlebug...I have been debating this for FOREVER..money is a big factor. I love making cards..and scrapbooking; and love the embossed papers. I wish for those all the time on WishRak..and thats the only way I can get any. I am not sure I would use all the other features that a Cricut has to offer that would make it worth me spending that amount of money...but dont want to spend the money on Cuttlebug and then later wish I had more options..ANY SUGGESTIONS.??
Also: if I purchase the Cuttlebug..is it going to cost me an arm and leg to get the folders that I would need ??
hi there! I also was wondering which one to get. Originally was leaning towards the cricut but got the cuttlebug instead last summer. I have to say I love it! I prefer to mainly emboss but do use it for die cutting as well. I bought it at Michael's with a 50% off coupon. It made it really affordable. The embossing folders are pretty reasonable. And bonus! I can use nestabilities with it. I just got my first ones a few weeks ago. Works great!
Previous poster gave really great reasons to get cuttlebug. I second those. As for the cricut, I'm glad I didn't get it. I don't think I would've used it the way it was meant. And as you say, it is costly. I did get one alphabet set for my cuttlebug and am very happy. Just make sure if you go that route, you love the alphabet you pick. Good luck making your choice!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #2847
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetygirl View Post
hi there! I also was wondering which one to get. Originally was leaning towards the cricut but got the cuttlebug instead last summer. I have to say I love it! I prefer to mainly emboss but do use it for die cutting as well. I bought it at Michael's with a 50% off coupon. It made it really affordable. The embossing folders are pretty reasonable. And bonus! I can use nestabilities with it. I just got my first ones a few weeks ago. Works great!
Previous poster gave really great reasons to get cuttlebug. I second those. As for the cricut, I'm glad I didn't get it. I don't think I would've used it the way it was meant. And as you say, it is costly. I did get one alphabet set for my cuttlebug and am very happy. Just make sure if you go that route, you love the alphabet you pick. Good luck making your choice!

Hi Tweetygirl-

I am not sure if they have Joann's in Canada.....but if they do, keep an eye out at the store itself. They clearance out their alphabet sets every now and then. I picked up one the other day for $19.97. Oh yeah, I don't have a CB yet! LOL
Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #2848
Compulsive Stamper

I was struggling with all the same questions before I bought my CB. I am happier with it as it is definitely the more affordable way to go. I'm pretty sure that the Cricut is only good for cutting and doesn't emboss, whereas the CB does both. The EB folders and die cuts are definitely much more reasonable to purchase for the CB so you will be able to get a good variety of options for less money.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #2849
Gabfest Goddess

I love my bug!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #2850
Kookie Creator

thanks for all of your input! I have decided to get the bug; just waiting for the "perfect" sale! I do have my couupons for both michaels and joanns right now..so wish me luck!!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #2851
Gabfest Goddess

Michaels has 50% and 40% off coupons (got um in email) good this week. Printed 5!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #2852
Crimping Master

Default quic kutz with cuttlebug

ok, i just got my first quic kutz today and i think i already have to return it. i followed directions and even you tubed how to do it correctly. i think the problem is that the die with the detail (i have the butterfly one) is a bit squished. the solid die worked fabulous but the one with the detail of the butterfly didnt cut all the way through...so thankfully i kept the receipt cause i know it works....just prob a defective item ....too bad hobby lobby isnt open right now, lol
Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #2853
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesgram View Post
Michaels has 50% and 40% off coupons (got um in email) good this week. Printed 5!
My nearest Michaels is an hour and half away! We do have Joanns closer; but they have the cuttlebug on sale; so they wont accept my coupons...

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Old 09-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #2854
Pearl-ExPert

This may have already been asked (I haven't gone through all of the posts yet) but I know you can use the SU Texturz plates in the CB - but what type of impression do they leave? I thinking of ordering the SU Perfect Details but want it to leave a nice impression and at least one you can see! Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #2855
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlynn View Post
This may have already been asked (I haven't gone through all of the posts yet) but I know you can use the SU Texturz plates in the CB - but what type of impression do they leave? I thinking of ordering the SU Perfect Details but want it to leave a nice impression and at least one you can see! Any thoughts on this?
I have a set of the texturz plates and like them. The impression is just not quite as crisp as a CB folder but it is still good. Just remember to use the black plate and black silicone mat with them from SU! Here are a few things I have made using these plates.
http://cropnotesandcrafts.blogspot.c...-pounding.html
http://cropnotesandcrafts.blogspot.c...challenge.html
http://cropnotesandcrafts.blogspot.c...challenge.html
Does this help you?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #2856
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much! I just looked up your blog - wonderful! You have so much pretty art work on it!!!!
I think the texturz plates will be good. Now, I thought I could use like the A, B, or C plates that I use the rest of my folders, etc. on.
Which black plate do you mean? I have the tan polymer mat - is that ok to use or do I need to get the black silicone mat?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #2857
Matboard Maniac

Default black plate

Quote:
Thanks so much! I just looked up your blog - wonderful! You have so much pretty art work on it!!!!
I think the texturz plates will be good. Now, I thought I could use like the A, B, or C plates that I use the rest of my folders, etc. on.
Which black plate do you mean? I have the tan polymer mat - is that ok to use or do I need to get the black silicone mat?
It's a black plastic plate called an impressions pad and it goes on top of the silicone mat. It is not as brittle as the cutting plates. It is for the Big Shot, so I don't know if it will work in the CB without trimming.

With my BS, from bottom to top, I use my Mulit-purpose platform (tab 1), texturz plate, paper, silicone rubber mat, a piece of fun foam, and the impressions pad. I don't know what an equivalent CB sandwich would be.

I add the fun foam because it gives me a deeper impression, but you have to be careful if it's a finely detailed plate. I just bought my BS this summer, so some of those plates I've only done a paper sample for my duotang and it's split/torn my printer paper on the really skinny lines; I don't know if they would damage cardstock with the added layer of fun foam, but if it does, I'll try misting it with water first.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #2858
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Quote:
there isn't a black plate for the Cuttlebug. I read on a thread from the UK, not to use the black plate in your Cuttlebug because it will break the CB. They said that it is too thick to use. This is just a little note that I saw.....
Old 09-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #2859
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

I have used the Fiskars Texture plates in my Cuttlebug before. It doesn't make a deep embossing design like the Cuttlebug.....but, it does add a bit of texture. There is a sandwich recipe I used......

Plate A
Fiskars texture Plate,
Cardstock to emboss
tan Wizard pad,
cardstock shim
Plate B

Remember each Cuttlebug is different....so, think "thin" when doing your recipe. Try it first without the shim. Add the cardstock shim if needed.

I'll have to look and see if I had another one....
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #2860
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Here is another recipe for the Fiskars texture plates using the Cuttlebug.....I used this one too.

A plate
1st embossing tan mat
card stock
Fiskars texture plate---design face down that you are using
2nd embossing tan mat
B plate

Just a side note......I did have to run it through the Cuttlebug a couple of times to get the impression I wanted.....
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #2861
Kookie Creator

Default Finally Bought mine!

Yeah! Yipee!!!!
Went to Joann's yesterday armed with coupon and bought my cuttlebug!! Been waiting forever to get me one of these! Could only afford one embossing folder right now; but thats ok! I bought the birds and swirls one; and I love it!! Off to play!!

HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #2862
Stazon Splitcoast

Have fun exploring all the possibilities, Sue. It's smart not to start off with too many dies, Nesties, and embossing folders until you experiment and decide exactly what you want to do with it.

Quote:
Yeah! Yipee!!!!
Went to Joann's yesterday armed with coupon and bought my cuttlebug!! Been waiting forever to get me one of these! Could only afford one embossing folder right now; but thats ok! I bought the birds and swirls one; and I love it!! Off to play!!

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #2863
Crimping Master

Quote:
Your tan mat should work the same as the black silicone mat. This is how a crisp impression is achieved without using an actual folder. The black plate is from SU! and it is a bit thinner than a B plate and allows it to be used with the embossing mats and the extra thickness of the texturz plate. It is also more flexible than a B plate. These do not need to be cut down for use in the bug. I have used them for months and have not had any problems with the plates or the bug itself. Each bug is a bit different and you should never have to force the sandwich through the machine. I don't know of any other sandwich to build with the bug if you use the texturz plates. Two B plates will be too thick. One B plates and a bunch of chipboard shims may work if you make the sandwich between the A and B plate.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #2864
Crimping Master

Okay I know I have tried a bunch of different sandwiches before with the texturz plates and had trouble so I just did a search and there are two ways to make the sandwich for the Bug with the texturz plate. This is the sandwich I use.
CB A plate
Texturz plate with the side you want to use facing up
Card Stock
Black Silicone Mat or tan wizard mat
SU! Black impression Pad

The second sandwich is this:
CB A Plate
Texturz plate
Card Stock
black silicone mat/tan wizard mat
B plate
several card stock shims

I have tried the second sandwich before and it did not work that well for me. The impression was not as pronounced and I had to fiddle with it a lot. I have tried using the C plate instead of the B plate and it is too thick.
I also have the rubber plumbers gasket but prefer using the black/tan mat.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #2865
Cardstock Collector

I just bought a Cuttlebug second hand from a friend of mine. (She bought the Big Shot from Stampin' Up). I have picked up a couple of folders at Walmart, and a large pack of them at Heather's Stamping Haven in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada). I think I am going to have a lot of fun with this tool. I love my cricut, and use it all the time too. The only problem is that the closest scrapbooking store to me (Michael's) is about an hour or so drive, and I find them insanely expensive. (Cricut cartridges are around $120) I have begun the process of applying for my passport. I used to love going across into New York State and going to Joann's, they always have such great paper, etc. (I love the DCWV paper that I can often get for $9.99 a pack there, whereas here it is $39.99). Does anyone know if Joann's carries a lot of Cuttlebug stuff?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 AM   #2866
Crimping Master

Yes, Joann will stock enough to keep you busy for a while. I usually buy my embossing folders through them. I also don't have a craft store near my home and travel 1 1/2 hours to go there. In fact, I buy most of my supplies on line or from Joann's. Have fun! I use my bug for nearly every project I create.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #2867
Cardstock Collector

Hello, I'm new here and I hope someone can help. I have a Cuttlebug and know how to use it (that sounds dangerous!) but I'm stumped on how to use the "Formal Squares". This is a small embossing folder with two swirly corners next to each other. Is there any way to use one of the corners in the upper left of my cardstock and the other in the lower right? Or do I emboss and then try to cut out around the swirls? Or do I take the embossing folder and use my hubby's bandsaw to cut it in half? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #2868
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and order one of the SU texturz plates and the Black Impressions pad. This was a very big help since I really like the Perfect Details from SU and wanted to order it. (I'm like you - live about an hour from the nearest craft store, so I also order on-line quite a lot)
Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #2869
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmeeAgain View Post
I'm stumped on how to use the "Formal Squares". This is a small embossing folder with two swirly corners next to each other. Is there any way to use one of the corners in the upper left of my cardstock and the other in the lower right? Or do I emboss and then try to cut out around the swirls? Or do I take the embossing folder and use my hubby's bandsaw to cut it in half? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Emboss and then cut. I wouldn't cut the folder. It is already small enough. I think I have this one and will have to check my supplies. You can cut it out as a triangle if it is the one I am thinking of and don't need to cut around the swirls if you don't want to take the time.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #2870
Kookie Creator

Default QuicKutz embossing folders?

Does anyone know if the QuicKutz Embossing Folders can be used in the Cuttlebug? I just found the QuicKutz folders recently.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #2871
Gabfest Goddess

Check out this link. It might help. Enjoy!

http://indigoinklings.blogspot.com/2...alk-about.html
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #2872
Gabfest Goddess

I have personally never used QuicKutz, although I do want some, which is why I did not give a yes or no answer.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #2873
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoembellish View Post
Does anyone know if the QuicKutz Embossing Folders can be used in the Cuttlebug? I just found the QuicKutz folders recently.
Yes they can! I've been using them with my Bug.. works the same as the CB ones.. Enjoy!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #2874
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the info! Now I can try some of the QuicKutz folders!!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #2875
Pearl-ExPert

Is the sandwich the same for QuicKutz as for Cuddlebug folders?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #2876
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Is the sandwich the same for QuicKutz as for Cuddlebug folders?
Yup, exactly the same =)
Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #2877
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoembellish View Post
Thanks for the info! Now I can try some of the QuicKutz folders!!
try Scrapbuggy. There's 50% off currently and the folders are only $2.50!

Happy shopping!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #2878
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #2879
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to lisabeepianolovin Send a message via Yahoo to lisabeepianolovin

Is there a secret for getting a clean cut using the SU Sizzlits with my Cuttlebug? It cuts through DP like butter...but I'm always left having to use my craft knife when it's cardstock I'm trying to cut. Or it leaves fuzzies on the edges of the die-cut...
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #2880
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabeepianolovin View Post
Is there a secret for getting a clean cut using the SU Sizzlits with my Cuttlebug? It cuts through DP like butter...but I'm always left having to use my craft knife when it's cardstock I'm trying to cut. Or it leaves fuzzies on the edges of the die-cut...
My sizzlits work pretty well but there are slight differences from one machine to another. Sounds like you need to add a piece of card stock as a shim. Are you placing the sizzlit with the cutting side up as directed?