Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #2361
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by okimom2girlz View Post
Is this it?

Embossing with Nestabilities

It is post # 12.

HTH
Sabrina
Yes, that's it! Thanks a million.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #2362
Pearl-ExPert

You are welcome!!! I was glad to help. I've tried it with one layer of a cut up Ritz cracker box and it came out perfect. The best part, my B plate did not crack a bit

Hugs,
Sabrina
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #2363
Rubber Obsessor

Default Fiskars Texture Plates

OMG!
Ok, so i've had a bunch of these for years, i got them when I got the 'scrap boss' oh so many years ago, and never used them. I got a cuttlebug a few months ago, and bought a second set of these at the same time, because I had heard that you can use them in the cuttlebug! I tried, and it didn't work AT ALL! then I re-read the sandwich stack, and realized I needed the rubber mat for it to work. I've been waiting for it to come in at my LSS for over a month now, and it finally came in last week! I tried it with the fiskars plates, and although it worked, I was slightly dissapointed at the depth of the impression. It just wasn't very crisp. It was sort of cool for a 'hint' of texture, but not really for a good, solid, embossed background. But I still thought it was a nice look for some cards, and left it at that. So this morning I was making a card for my mom, and I wanted to use the 'leather' plate to replicate elephant skin. I put my cs through, and then when I looked at it I realized that the edge was off the plate, and didn't have any embossing on it. Not Cool. But I didn't want to waste a perfectly good card front. I had read somewhere that you can mist your paper with water before cuttling it, and the result would be different, so I wondered if I could mist it and re-cuttle it to 'fix' my mistake. I did, and WOW! Not only did it 'replace' the previous texture, but the new embossing was SO MUCH CRISPER!!!! It's almost as crisp as using the cuttlebug folders! I was so amazed! I experimented with a few of the different texture plates, and they all worked REALLY well when I misted them! After cuttling I just used my heat tool to dry it out, and VOILA!!

Sorry to ramble, but Man, I'm excited!! I have 8 of these plates, so 16 different textures, and I was worried that I wouldn't use them, and now I know I can and will!!

Oh, and the stack I used is as follows:
Plate A
Fiskars Texture Plate
Cardstock (Misted on side facing plate with water)
Tan Embossing Pad (Wizard)
Tan Embossing Pad (wizard) - Yes, I used both of them
Shim made from the back of a notepad - think thin chipboard
Plate B

Hope this helps out someone, and I hope I'm not repeating what someone else has already posted!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #2364
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalia Disa View Post
OMG!
Ok, so i've had a bunch of these for years, i got them when I got the 'scrap boss' oh so many years ago, and never used them. I got a cuttlebug a few months ago, and bought a second set of these at the same time, because I had heard that you can use them in the cuttlebug! I tried, and it didn't work AT ALL! then I re-read the sandwich stack, and realized I needed the rubber mat for it to work. I've been waiting for it to come in at my LSS for over a month now, and it finally came in last week! I tried it with the fiskars plates, and although it worked, I was slightly dissapointed at the depth of the impression. It just wasn't very crisp. It was sort of cool for a 'hint' of texture, but not really for a good, solid, embossed background. But I still thought it was a nice look for some cards, and left it at that. So this morning I was making a card for my mom, and I wanted to use the 'leather' plate to replicate elephant skin. I put my cs through, and then when I looked at it I realized that the edge was off the plate, and didn't have any embossing on it. Not Cool. But I didn't want to waste a perfectly good card front. I had read somewhere that you can mist your paper with water before cuttling it, and the result would be different, so I wondered if I could mist it and re-cuttle it to 'fix' my mistake. I did, and WOW! Not only did it 'replace' the previous texture, but the new embossing was SO MUCH CRISPER!!!! It's almost as crisp as using the cuttlebug folders! I was so amazed! I experimented with a few of the different texture plates, and they all worked REALLY well when I misted them! After cuttling I just used my heat tool to dry it out, and VOILA!!

Sorry to ramble, but Man, I'm excited!! I have 8 of these plates, so 16 different textures, and I was worried that I wouldn't use them, and now I know I can and will!!

Plate A
Fiskars Texture Plate
Plate B

Hope this helps out someone, and I hope I'm not repeating what someone else has already posted!
Thanks so much for that post! I have been trying to find out how to emboss using fiskars. I just need to ask... what is misting?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #2365
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyls View Post
Thanks so much for that post! I have been trying to find out how to emboss using fiskars. I just need to ask... what is misting?

Thanks in advance!
Hi! Misting - I have a small spray bottle that I got at the dollar store that is filled with water. It sprays REALLY FINE and I just spray water all over my cardstock. if you don't have a spray bottle, you could also use a sponge. You want it to be quite damp/wet. I sprayed until the entire piece was shiny with water, just to be sure.
HTH!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #2366
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Hi! Misting - I have a small spray bottle that I got at the dollar store that is filled with water. It sprays REALLY FINE and I just spray water all over my cardstock. if you don't have a spray bottle, you could also use a sponge. You want it to be quite damp/wet. I sprayed until the entire piece was shiny with water, just to be sure.
HTH!
That definitely helps!!! I can't wait to try it out!

Thank you very very much!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #2367
Matboard Maniac

Default new cuttlebug!

hello everybody!! i am so excited i am shrieking. i just received my new cuttlebug by ups. yay!! i ripped open the box and took all my goodies out and i am going to get busy. i love it. i ordered mine from customcrops.com for only 39.99 and it came with a 5pc celebration stamps embossing/die set and i also ordered the swiss dots die from them for only 4.49. i don't know if that is the usual price for the items. i did look into other sites and found them for much more so i am hoping i got a good deal. just wanted to post my excitement with ya'll out there. with love, mary
Old 01-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #2368
Cardstock Collector

I have a cuttlebug and was wondering if the SU deco.strips fit and if I have to buy the SU deco.strip cutting pads?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #2369
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Mary! Congratulations!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #2370
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenneyBridgit View Post
I have a cuttlebug and was wondering if the SU deco.strips fit and if I have to buy the SU deco.strip cutting pads?
They will fit, but you'll need the longer cutting pads and spacer to make them work. The Bug plates aren't long enough.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #2371
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
OMG!

Plate A
Fiskars Texture Plate
Plate B

I just started reading backwards because I can't remember where I left off from the beginning and wanted the latest info on the cuttlebug because I absolutely ADORE mine!!!

I've not heard of these Fiskar texture plate/mats before and you mention elephant skin in a post. What are these, what do they do, do you have any cards in your gallery with these used? Sorry, loaded with questions, just curious about this "new" gig I might be able to try.

Thank you in advance for sharing. I was excited for you reading your post too, you're like me, you get SO excited about these little cool things we do with stamps, papers, inks.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #2372
Compulsive Stamper

Default Are Sizzix similar to Fiskar texture plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryatscs View Post
i ordered mine from customcrops.com for only 39.99 and it came with a 5pc celebration stamps embossing/die set and i also ordered the swiss dots die from them for only 4.49.
Wow Mary, you got a deal on the machine - I just got one this week at Hobby Lobby, it was 79.99 and I used the 40% coupon. The folders there were 4.99. I understand they occasionally run those on sale so we'll have to watch for that.

Can anyone tell me about the Sizzix texture plates? I'm wondering if they are similar to the Fiskar plates and are run thru the same way?

I'm so grateful for all the good info here. TFS!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #2373
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinkyfingers View Post
I just started reading backwards because I can't remember where I left off from the beginning and wanted the latest info on the cuttlebug because I absolutely ADORE mine!!!

I've not heard of these Fiskar texture plate/mats before and you mention elephant skin in a post. What are these, what do they do, do you have any cards in your gallery with these used? Sorry, loaded with questions, just curious about this "new" gig I might be able to try.

Thank you in advance for sharing. I was excited for you reading your post too, you're like me, you get SO excited about these little cool things we do with stamps, papers, inks.
Lol... Sorry, but I had to laugh at your elephant skin question... All I meant was that I was using the texture plate title 'leather' on my card to replicate the look of elephant skin. My mom is crazy about anything elephant, so I wanted a textured background to go behind the elephant i stamped! I don't have a gallery up and running yet, but I will soon enough, and I'll post a link when I can!

As for the sizzix texture plates - as far as I know they are very similar, but I personally don't have any (yet!). I would love to try them out though!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #2374
Rubber Obsessor

Default pics

This is the first card I made using the fiskars plates. The background shows up alright, but it's not very defined:

This is the one I made when I re-cuttled my paper and misted it first. It's hard to see in the picture, but the design is much more crisp. (My mom is crazy about elephants, and also purple... this is just a fun card I made for her for no real reason!)

Sorry the pics are SO HUGE, I linked them from photobucket, and never resized them before i posted them in there.... sorry!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #2375
Matboard Maniac

wow, those are beautiful cards with elephant skin. i think i have that plate and that is a great idea. thank you for sharing. mary
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #2376
Rubber Obsessor

Here is the Fiskars angle policy. People don't need permission to use their products on things to be sold!

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/aboutus/angel.aspx

I'll bet their Textured plates will be in big demand Ladies you better get to the store and get them before they are gone LOL
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #2377
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarroquin View Post
Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby carries it? I would hate to have to go across town to Michael's to get one.
My Hobby Lobby carries cuttlebug embossing folders dies and nestabilities...these are just newly added so maybe yours does too.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #2378
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Lol... Sorry, but I had to laugh at your elephant skin question... All I meant was that I was using the texture plate title 'leather' on my card to replicate the look of elephant skin. My mom is crazy about anything elephant, so I wanted a textured background to go behind the elephant i stamped! I don't have a gallery up and running yet, but I will soon enough, and I'll post a link when I can!

As for the sizzix texture plates - as far as I know they are very similar, but I personally don't have any (yet!). I would love to try them out though!
Thank you for posting your pictures and explaining. I'll have to look into these now and see if I think I might like them.

Your cards are beautiful BTW.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #2379
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings View Post
They will fit, but you'll need the longer cutting pads and spacer to make them work. The Bug plates aren't long enough.
Any special brand of longer pads and spacers to use? Can it be Sizzix or SU?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #2380
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeaton View Post
Any special brand of longer pads and spacers to use? Can it be Sizzix or SU?

Thanks!
The Sizzix and SU ones should have the same specifications, so that's what I would use. Hope you get it to work the way you want!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #2381
Gabfest Goddess

So excited!! Got my cuttlebug today at Michael's with 40% coup...paid 52.00/wth tax...went to another M and bought some embossing plates with other coupon...40%...but returning tomorrow as I found JoAnn online has them for 3.59 and 2.99 sale priced and free shipping till 1/30...so for same price I paid for 4 I think I can get about 5 or 6 instead...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #2382
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesgram View Post
So excited!! Got my cuttlebug today at Michael's with 40% coup...paid 52.00/wth tax...went to another M and bought some embossing plates with other coupon...40%...but returning tomorrow as I found JoAnn online has them for 3.59 and 2.99 sale priced and free shipping till 1/30...so for same price I paid for 4 I think I can get about 5 or 6 instead...
You will love your cuttlebug!!! I don't think I would take a chance of ordering online.......especially since you have them and can play with them now!!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #2383
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Cool idea for framed embossed area

I just shared this on the other embossing thread I love, the Big Shot FAQ ... but then I thought maybe there are some here who might like this tip too...

I love this thread... not sure if this has been posted but...
You want to emboss a card front, but not the middle part. You want, let's say an oval that's not embossed in the middle. Check this out.
1) Make a shim first... cut an oval out of several (about 5 pieces) of 4.5x5 inch thick "scrap" cardstock with your Nestabilities or whatever cutting system you use.
2) Glue them together.
3) Put your cardstock to be embossed in your Cuttlebug, Sizzix, etc Embossing Folder
4) Then use that homemade oval cut out in the middle shim and put it on top.
5) Do all the other shims that would make sense for your cutting system (Cuttlebug from bottom: A, B, Embossing Folder, homemade shim)
Of course, you have to gerry-rig it to work for your system.

This works for all sorts of shapes: ovals, circles, squares, hearts, etc!

Here's one more tip: emboss only a part of the folder then shim only that part with a little stack of cardboard over the area. I did it on my Christmas card envelopes!

Happy Embossing to all!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #2384
Rubber Obsessor

I know this was addressed sometime ago....the sandwich stack needed to cut and emboss at the same time, using the nesties....it worked great...and I thought I would never forget it....LOL (silly me) I can't seem to find the post again, could someone please help me???? Thank you
Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #2385
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Have several brass stencils - mostly from SU but some others - have tried different sandwiches and just can't seem to get a crisp image -- would love some helpful tips. Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #2386
Stampin' Fool

Default for maryperri

I can't remember the sandwich with the gasket thingie, but iuse what you are asking about exclusively now. What you need to do is use the A plate, a chipboard shim, a B plate, cardstock, nestie, C plate. Make sure the cutting edge of the nestie is facing your scarred B plate or you will end up like me - with a nestie imprint in your C plate! Dang it!

Jutta
Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #2387
Pearl-ExPert

Hey Mary. Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking all over for a good deal too. I just ordered mine from the site you suggested but it is back-ordered until the middle of February, but for that deal I am willing to wait.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #2388
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarar20 View Post
Hey Mary. Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking all over for a good deal too. I just ordered mine from the site you suggested but it is back-ordered until the middle of February, but for that deal I am willing to wait.
ya so was i, i ordered mine on jan. 11th and it said it would be backordered until jan. 26th but i actually received it by ups on jan. 21st so you may get it sooner. lets keep our fingers crossed yay! how exciting for you, congrats!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #2389
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
I can't remember the sandwich with the gasket thingie, but iuse what you are asking about exclusively now. What you need to do is use the A plate, a chipboard shim, a B plate, cardstock, nestie, C plate. Make sure the cutting edge of the nestie is facing your scarred B plate or you will end up like me - with a nestie imprint in your C plate! Dang it!

Jutta
Thank you very much, but the one I was looking for specifically was something like A plate-Cplate-nestie-cardstock-cereal box cardboard-B plate....I think...I just know it worked really well and I wanted to find it again and print it out, so I will have it always.... I have searched and searched, but since I am not that familiar with this board I am not finding it.... I hope someone will see this and help me with that specific post..
Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #2390
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryatscs View Post
hello everybody!! i am so excited i am shrieking. i just received my new cuttlebug by ups. yay!! i ripped open the box and took all my goodies out and i am going to get busy. i love it. i ordered mine from customcrops.com for only 39.99 and it came with a 5pc celebration stamps embossing/die set and i also ordered the swiss dots die from them for only 4.49. i don't know if that is the usual price for the items. i did look into other sites and found them for much more so i am hoping i got a good deal. just wanted to post my excitement with ya'll out there. with love, mary
I got mine at Michael's at 50% off. I think you got a good deal, too! I'm wondersing if anyone knows if you can use the Stampin'Up dies on the Cuttlebug. I would love to know. I checked with a Stampin'Up Demonstrator. She didn't know and I'm waiting for her to find out. If anyone knows I would be very happy for a reply. Thanks from Hilda...
Old 01-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #2391
Cardstock Collector

I don't know about the Sizzix texture plates, but can anyone tell me if the Stampin' Up texturz plates used on the Big Shot can be used on the Cuttlebug. I would appreciate a reply. Thanks! Hilda
Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #2392
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R
Smile

I am very interested in being able to have a "blank" shape in the centre of my cuttlebug embossing folders like is suggested here but I am getting nowhere. Where exactly does the shim go? In the folder itself? I guess it would have to, and do you have to put a shim shape under AND over the card you are embossing? I will have another little fiddle as soon as I get time. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #2393
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelloh View Post
I don't know about the Sizzix texture plates, but can anyone tell me if the Stampin' Up texturz plates used on the Big Shot can be used on the Cuttlebug. I would appreciate a reply. Thanks! Hilda
Yes, the texture plates can be used in a Bug. To answer your earlier question, many of the SU dies can be used in a Cuttlebug. Militarystampingmom has a great list compiled in the first few posts on this thread: Big Shot FAQ

It's really worth reading the first page or two. She has an enormous amount of information there!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #2394
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan R View Post
I am very interested in being able to have a "blank" shape in the centre of my cuttlebug embossing folders like is suggested here but I am getting nowhere. Where exactly does the shim go? In the folder itself? I guess it would have to, and do you have to put a shim shape under AND over the card you are embossing? I will have another little fiddle as soon as I get time. Any help would be appreciated.
Jan, Maybe this will help. I don't have any nesties (yet) and I didn't feel like cutting out shapes from several pieces of cardstock & glueing them together. I was in M's one day and I had a lightbulb moment. I bought the smallest mats, the kind used for matting pictures in frames. They have square, oval, & a rectangle that work great for leaving an unembossed shape in the middle of your embossed cardstock with your CB! I place it under the folder. Also I put a permanent mark in the center of the top & bottom of the folder so I end up with the shape centered. It's super easy and fuss free. Of course you are limited to those few shapes & sizes, but for me this is perfect since I find I gravitate towards one or two designs anyway.
Hope this helps
Old 01-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #2395
Rubber Obsessor

Brilliant idea !!
Thanks
Barbara
Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #2396
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #2397
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Jan R

Kathryn, thanks for that. When you say "under the folder' do you mean underneath the paper you are cutting out but actually a first layer inside the folder?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #2398
Rubber Obsessor

Just a tip for cutting the paper for weaving. If you have an older paper shredder that cuts strips they are 1/4" Just run colored paper through your paper shedder and you will have strips in no time. I cut paper for quilling this way.
Barbara
Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #2399
Rubber Obsessor

Default Still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings View Post
Yes, the texture plates can be used in a Bug. To answer your earlier question, many of the SU dies can be used in a Cuttlebug. Militarystampingmom has a great list compiled in the first few posts on this thread: Big Shot FAQ

It's really worth reading the first page or two. She has an enormous amount of information there!
Can you tell me if the sandwich for SU testurz plates would be the same as the fiskar's texture plates? Also, how are the embosslits used in the CB - can they be used in the CB?

I'm trying to get my shopping list together and I really like some of the die cuts/embossing stuff but I don't have a Big Shot and don't want to buy them if I can't use them in the CB (which I absolutely adore).

Thanks so much for knowing all this stuff. It's always nice to know we have somewhere to go when we need answers.

Smile. no one knows what you're really thinking!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #2400
Pearl-ExPert

btt