Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #2281
Stampin' Fool

Yes, I use the BossKuts in my Cuttlebug. I use this sandwich: (from the bottom )
Plate A
Plate B
Boss Kut DIE with FOAM facing UP
Cardstock
Plate C

If you look in your Cutllebug manual that came with the machine, it is on the page titled: Using Other Brand Dies
For Use With Non-Cuttelbug Thin Dies

I labeled the page in my book. This sandwich works (for me) for :
1. Quikutz dies
2. Boss Kut dies
3. Revolution dies

Hope this helps you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #2282
Rubber Obsessor

Can anyone tell me if the embossed Christmas Tree (cuttlebug embossing folder) would fit on the Stampin up Top Note die cut?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #2283
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by croppingjuju View Post
Can anyone tell me if the embossed Christmas Tree (cuttlebug embossing folder) would fit on the Stampin up Top Note die cut?

I would say it does. I don't own it, but I just checked out a Blog where the top note die was used on a A2 card and from the looks of it I'd say give it a try. The Christmas tree is about 5 1/4" tall. HTH
Old 12-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #2284
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I own both! I will try to check tonite!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #2285
Stazon Splitcoast

I got a chance to try earlier than I thought.

The answer is, sort of. I cut the Top Note first, then tried to get as much of the tree as possible. It cuts off some of the bottom. Hope this pic helps.
Attached Thumbnails
tree-pic-cb-thread.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #2286
Rubber Obsessor

Default Bosskut dies in the cuttlebug machine

Hi Tanja

Hi,
I have several Bosskut dies and I love them. I also use them in my Big Shot. I just cut out a poinsettia to make sure I was giving you the right sandwich. Since I use my Big Shot now I had to refresh myself on using the cutterbug. Here is the Sandwich I used.

First the A Plate
Next is the C Plate
Then the Bosskut Die Picture Side Down Gray Side up
Put Card Stock on top of die
Put the B Plate on top of Card Stock
Roll through Cutterbug

Hope this helps

Barbara
Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #2287
Kookie Creator

Thank you to all you experienced Cuttle-buggers out there that helped me with my stack problem! After LOTS of experiementing with all the suggestions, here's what I found out.

In order to emboss without cutting, there are are actually two ways to do it. The first way will give an embossed image of the nestie die just as it looks from the back of the die (not the cutting side) This image is raised up from the cardstock and is very simple with two lines of embossing. Here is how I did it - from the bottom up.

A
3 pcs of cardstock for shim
B
die - cut side down
tan mat
card stock to emboss
B

Both sides of the embossed cardstock are nice - either one giving a very pretty simple impression. The die does stick a little into the B plate but pops out very easily - espcially if the plate has been used a lot already like mine!

To get the three lines of embossing here is the stack that worked for me (as several of you suggested.) I kept thinking this would CUT the cardstock since it had the cut side facing the cardstock, but the tan mat prevents that.

A
3 pcs of cardstock for shim
B
die (cut side up)
cardstock to emboss
tan mat
B

Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #2288
Glitter Queen

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, so sorry if not!
I just got some Nestabilities to use with my CB. I have the sandwich (from this board) as Plate C, then Plate A, then the nestie, then CS, then Plate B. When I do that I get a good cut, but do NOT get the embossed line around the shape. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #2289
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshawk View Post
I just got some Nestabilities to use with my CB. I have the sandwich (from this board) as Plate C, then Plate A, then the nestie, then CS, then Plate B. When I do that I get a good cut, but do NOT get the embossed line around the shape. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much!
It's a two-step process to get the embossed line. You need either the tan embossing mat (tan flat piece of rubber) or you can also get by with a small piece of plumber's gasket (flat piece of rubber). I can't remember the exact sandwich.... I think the cardstock on the rubber sheet - but I'm sure that someone will post the directions.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #2290
Kookie Creator

Quote:
You need to put it through ONE MORE TIME with:
Plate A
Plate B
Die
Cardstock
TAN WIZARD PAD
Plate B

What you did cuts and then this "stack" embosses. BTW, I've seen the tan pad at Mikes and Hobby Lobby.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #2291
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I have not had any luck with the tan mat. This is what I do and I only have to put it through once to cut and emboss.

c plate
a plate
nestie face up
cardstock
piece of chipboard (cut up cereal box)
b plate

I think everyone's machines are a bit different so you might have to play a bit but this works for me everytime!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #2292
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinchampin View Post
I have not had any luck with the tan mat. This is what I do and I only have to put it through once to cut and emboss.

c plate
a plate
nestie face up
cardstock
piece of chipboard (cut up cereal box)
b plate

I think everyone's machines are a bit different so you might have to play a bit but this works for me everytime!
This is what I do too
Old 12-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #2293
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for ideas for storage. I appreciate them
Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #2294
Embossing Fanatic

I've seen a few cards using more than 1 of the embossing folders at a time and it didn't look like the card had been cut. Is that possible? The cuttlebug isn't wide enough to emboss part of a card and then move the card and emboss another design. I hope you can understand what I mean.
Thanks for any ideas and help
Old 12-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #2295
Kookie Creator

Here is one where I used four different folders. I have directions in the description. Basically I use several of the border embossing folders and one larger folder. I use the acrylic plates from the side kick to emboss a smaller area of the large embossing folder. Each step is done separately.

Four folder card

I also have done cards with two folders using the regular acrylic plates. You emboss half the card by letting the other half stick out the folder. Then you go back and repeat for the other half using a different folder.

Two folder card
Old 12-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #2296
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

MERRYCHRISTMAS!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #2297
Stazon Splitcoast

Merry Christmas, Bug Ladies!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #2298
Duchess of Dork

Hi gals. For about 2 years, I've been using a Zip'e mate I got for $20. It works okay for A2 size paper (4.25 x 5.5) IF I put it in with the 4.25 as the width. It is narrower than the bug or big shot so I can't turn my paper if I want the design to go across the 5.5 as the width, and I can't use a square that is 5". Besides, my cutting plate is about shot & I can't find these for sale anywhere, and can't use another machine's b/c of the size.

I got a Michael's gift card for Christmas so am considering getting either the cuttlebug or the big Shot. I have read JulieHRR's comparison. I have read bits & pieces about both machines. I guess the biggest question is: Can I really do the same things with both of them? Are the platforms/layers for the Big shot more expensive than the cuttlebug platforms/layers? If I wanted to use an extended die in the bug, can I use it with the big shot extender? or does provocraft make something like this? The bug is cheaper, so if I can do everything with it that I can do with the Big Shot, I'm sure I'll go that way. Well, if M's will honor my coupon!

I'm sure these questions have all been asked before, but I thought I'd ask them again! LOL!

Thank you!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #2299
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to tanjat67

does anyone know where there is a good shop in Australia that sells the cuttlebug dies, etc even the other dies that will work in the cuttlebug. I am having trouble buying what I need for the cuttlebug

Thanks

Tanja

Blog: http://handcraftsupplies.com.au/blog/
Old 12-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #2300
Kookie Creator

Does anyone have experience putting Fimo polymer clay through the Cuttlebug with embossing folders? My mom, visiting for Christmas, was really impressed with my Cuttlebug and was wondering if she could use it on her clay.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #2301
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
I guess the biggest question is: Can I really do the same things with both of them?
Basically, yes. Cuttlebug is smaller, less expensive, less sturdy, but perfectly adequate for most things.

Quote:
Are the platforms/layers for the Big shot more expensive than the cuttlebug platforms/layers?
No, they are comparably priced. Regular plates for the Big Shot are around the same price as Bug plates. The extended plates are more, obviously, since they are bigger.

Quote:
If I wanted to use an extended die in the bug, can I use it with the big shot extender? or does provocraft make something like this?
This is why I bought a Big Shot in August. LOL You *can* make extended dies work, according to several people. It looks like a pain to me, and I didn't want to have to fight it. I'm lazy that way. Here is the link to the Big Shot FAQ and a partial quote:
*All sizzix brand dies will work in the Cuttlebug HOWEVER your Cuttlebug opening MUST be at least 6 inches wide for the Bigz or Bigz XL to fit through the opening.
You can break your plates when using Steel Rule Dies such as the Bigz, Bigz XL dies in your cuttlebug.
These dies were made to be exclusive to the Big Kick and Big Shot Machine Only.
The Premium Crease Pad, Extended Cutting Pads are to WIDE to fit through the opening of the Cuttlebug machine.

Provocraft does not make extended plates. The narrow extended plates (Decorative Strip Cutting Pads) will fit thru a Bug, but they are not wide enough for the Bigz XL dies. The Extended Cutting Pads are *too* wide for the Bug.

So if you think you'll use extended dies a lot, I would go with the Big Shot. If you'll just use them occasionally, and you don't mind fiddling with the plates for it, then the Bug should work.

Hope this helps a little! It's a difficult decision.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #2302
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjat67 View Post
does anyone know where there is a good shop in Australia that sells the cuttlebug dies, etc even the other dies that will work in the cuttlebug. I am having trouble buying what I need for the cuttlebug

Thanks

Tanja
Hmm, any of our Australia ladies have a good answer here???? I know there are some shops. If you don't get a response here soon, try starting a new thread in this forum (Tool & Product Talk) asking specifically "Where in Australia can I get Cuttlebug products?" Someone is sure to answer!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #2303
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosmom View Post
Does anyone have experience putting Fimo polymer clay through the Cuttlebug with embossing folders? My mom, visiting for Christmas, was really impressed with my Cuttlebug and was wondering if she could use it on her clay.
I know people have used die cut machines to roll out the FIMO. You could probably use a Texture plate, maybe? I think the embossing folders would squeeze the clay too thinly??? But I have never tried it.

Anyone with experience in this?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #2304
Duchess of Dork

Thank you so much for the info! Just reading this makes me think the Big Shot would, in the long run, be more versatile. Now, I need to call Michael's & see if they have any in stock since they are 50% off right now AND I have a gift card! LOL!

I have no idea about the clay, but it made me think of how I first used an embossing folder & CB dies: in my Kitchen Aid Pasta Roller! LOL! It was an electric cuttlebug, of sorts, but I didn't want to scratch up my KA too much & that's when I found the zip'e mate online really cheap.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #2305
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to tanjat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings View Post
Hmm, any of our Australia ladies have a good answer here???? I know there are some shops. If you don't get a response here soon, try starting a new thread in this forum (Tool & Product Talk) asking specifically "Where in Australia can I get Cuttlebug products?" Someone is sure to answer!
Thanks for the help

Tanja

Blog: http://handcraftsupplies.com.au/blog/
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #2306
Pearl-ExPert

, oops

Last edited by Nicole's Mom; 12-28-2008 at 08:40 AM..
Old 12-29-2008, 06:52 AM   #2307
Stampin' Fool

Default cuttlekids question

My son bought me the cuttlekids tadpole alphabet. Can it be used in the CB?

Jutta
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #2308
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta View Post
My son bought me the cuttlekids tadpole alphabet. Can it be used in the CB?

Jutta
You betcha! They are processed like wafer thin dies if I remember correctly.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #2309
Mad Swapper

I know i'm asking a question that has been answered before but darn if i can find it. i have some smaller embossing folders (cuttlebug) and i want to emboss on a full page without leaving lines from the folder. help! please. thanks and happy new years to everyone.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #2310
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokale View Post
I know i'm asking a question that has been answered before but darn if i can find it. i have some smaller embossing folders (cuttlebug) and i want to emboss on a full page without leaving lines from the folder. help! please. thanks and happy new years to everyone.
Try reading this page in a great blog. This gal knows all things Cuttlebug, for sure:

http://indigoinklings.blogspot.com/2...bug-users.html

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #2311
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Try reading this page in a great blog. This gal knows all things Cuttlebug, for sure:

http://indigoinklings.blogspot.com/2...bug-users.html

thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #2312
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via MSN to stampinsweeney

Any news about new CB releases yet?

Also, I just purchased some of the cut and emboss sets with the full-size embossing folder and die plate. I searched the gallery for uploads and didn't find many. Could anyone who has played with these (friends forever, birthday wishes, everyday greetings, etc.) post their pics? I am trying to decide if I need them. Impulse purchase at HL today.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #2313
Compulsive Stamper

Check out this blog.
It is all CB.

http://thecuttlebugspot.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #2314
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via ICQ to manetta Send a message via AIM to manetta Send a message via Yahoo to manetta Send a message via Skype™ to manetta

what a great blog! I signed up to follow along. thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #2315
Hardware Hotshot

Location: Rockville, Maryland, near my family.... enjoying my grandkids!
Send a message via Yahoo to bsgstamps4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwaganer View Post
Check out this blog.
It is all CB.

http://thecuttlebugspot.blogspot.com/
Great site, thank you! I just became a Follower.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #2316
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via AIM to princessp1971

Does anyone know if nestabilities will work with my cuttlebug?

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: Nov. 3/4 Dec 0/0 YTD 103/115
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #2317
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Yes, I use them all the time. Check out the Cuttlebug FAQ to find the sandwich stack. It is listed under Wizard Spellbinders Dies. That stack works for me.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #2318
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via AIM to princessp1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
Yes, I use them all the time. Check out the Cuttlebug FAQ to find the sandwich stack. It is listed under Wizard Spellbinders Dies. That stack works for me.
Thanks for the reply! Back to Hobby Lobby! lol

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: Nov. 3/4 Dec 0/0 YTD 103/115
Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #2319
Pearl-ExPert

Before you go to Hobby Lobby, make sure you get a 40% off coupon! Go to hobbylobby.com

It's the only way to get your nesties at a decent price!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #2320
Die Cut Diva

All Cuttlebug stuff 30% off at HobbyLobby this week. AND your 40% off coupon for the Nesties