Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #2041
Hardware Hotshot

Location: Rockville, Maryland, near my family.... enjoying my grandkids!
Send a message via Yahoo to bsgstamps4fun
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibby View Post
Hello all! I have added the Cuttlebug to my Christmas list. I caught my DH watching me read about it at Michael's and knew he could read my mind. I just hope I can wait that long...may have to be an early birthday gift..haha.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on the cuttlebug. My sister has the Cricut and we love using it but I am all about embossing and it seems like the Cuttlebug will do a wonderful job at that. Any suggestions?
I am really only interested in embossing also. I have a CB and see no need for a Cricut because I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. My SU friend has one and uses it often but now that SU has come out with the Big Shot she said she wouldn't have gotten her Cricut had she known.....bug cost difference......If I ever decide to upgrade I will probably get the BS from SU.....just my opinion. Also, I bought my CB at ACMoore's with a 50% off coupon, making it extremely affordable with more money for embossing folders!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #2042
Compulsive Stamper

And if you can't wait until Christmas then treat yourself to a folder or two (or three or four LOL). Put cardstock in the folder and place on hard surface like a chopping board, kitchen floor etc. Take ordinary wooden rolling pin and pressing down hard roll it several times to and fro. Turn the folder round without removing or moving the card in the folder. Repeat the rolling pin exercise as it will now be in the opposite direction and will eliminate any uneven pressure. VOILA - a piece of embossed card. I didn't use very thick card and it obviously was not such a deep impression as the cb gives, but it works perfectly well.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #2043
Hardware Hotshot

Interesting! Just goes to show that when there is a will, there is a way! lol !!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #2044
Stampin' Fool

by LizG: "And if you can't wait until Christmas then treat yourself to a folder or two (or three or four LOL). Put cardstock in the folder and place on hard surface like a chopping board, kitchen floor etc. Take ordinary wooden rolling pin and pressing down hard roll it several times to and fro. Turn the folder round without removing or moving the card in the folder. Repeat the rolling pin exercise as it will now be in the opposite direction and will eliminate any uneven pressure. VOILA - a piece of embossed card. I didn't use very thick card and it obviously was not such a deep impression as the cb gives, but it works perfectly well."

And just think of the abs she'll develop! That's multitasking!

Srsly, I'd be saving my spare change for a Bug! Does Creative Express still have them for $35? That's not even as much as the most expensive sets from SU and if you bought it, you will never regret it; you'll just be kickin' yourself for not buying it sooner! Trying to save a fellow SCSer fromthe pain of a SBK (self butt kickin').

Jutta
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #2045
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizG View Post
And if you can't wait until Christmas then treat yourself to a folder or two (or three or four LOL). Put cardstock in the folder and place on hard surface like a chopping board, kitchen floor etc. Take ordinary wooden rolling pin and pressing down hard roll it several times to and fro. Turn the folder round without removing or moving the card in the folder. Repeat the rolling pin exercise as it will now be in the opposite direction and will eliminate any uneven pressure. VOILA - a piece of embossed card. I didn't use very thick card and it obviously was not such a deep impression as the cb gives, but it works perfectly well.
What a great idea -- you ought to post this one on the Favorite Tip thread.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #2046
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
What a great idea -- you ought to post this one on the Favorite Tip thread.
It was an experiment as I have a cuttlebug and just luvvvvvvvvvvvvv it to bits, but I have a friend who cannot afford one and the other night I took all my "gear" over to her and she was embossing and cutting most of the evening. She pondered a rolling pin and I gave it a try for her. Thought she might be able to manage the price of a folder or two and that way she needn't be embarrased about using mine.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 AM   #2047
Kookie Creator

Send a message via AIM to jenmac820

does anyone know if you can use the the new sizzix bigz xl dies in the cuttlebug? I know you would probably need the extended cutting pad, would this stuff fit through the cuttlebug?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #2048
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmac820 View Post
does anyone know if you can use the the new sizzix bigz xl dies in the cuttlebug? I know you would probably need the extended cutting pad, would this stuff fit through the cuttlebug?
Inkido Inklings

This blog has the how-to's for using XL dies in your CB

The rest of SU exclusive dies will fit!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 09-06-2008 at 12:54 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #2049
Stazon Splitcoast

That link isn't working for me. But I found two threads. Indigo Inklings: Strip Dies in Cuttlebug and Sizzix XL dies in Cuttlebug.

I'm glad to know that it can be done.

Last edited by GarnetJ; 09-06-2008 at 12:53 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #2050

Send a message via Yahoo to militarystampingmom Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetJ View Post
That link isn't working for me. But I found two threads. Indigo Inklings: Strip Dies in Cuttlebug and Sizzix XL dies in Cuttlebug.

I'm glad to know that it can be done.
I updated the Link!

Her blog has LOTS of useful Info on how to use Sizzix dies in your Cuttlebug!
Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #2051
Matboard Maniac

My Cuttlebug lost suction, but it was because the feet were covered with glitter (who me, glitter). I just washed off the feet and it works great now.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #2052
Insane Embellisher

Hey ladies! I'm new here. Just got my Cuttlebug a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd be using the dies more until I saw how awesome the embossing is. I just ordered some more. I got the invitation one, 3 Christmas ones, and the Swiss Dots. I really wanted to get some Nesties but I resisted for now. I also went ahead and ordered some extra B plates so I'd have them on hand.

So is there a way to add color to the embossing? I know this has probably been asked already but I searched and couldn't find it.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #2053
Kindred Quacker

You could use chalks over the embossing, that looks great!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #2054
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmom69 View Post
Hey ladies! I'm new here. Just got my Cuttlebug a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd be using the dies more until I saw how awesome the embossing is. I just ordered some more. I got the invitation one, 3 Christmas ones, and the Swiss Dots. I really wanted to get some Nesties but I resisted for now. I also went ahead and ordered some extra B plates so I'd have them on hand.

So is there a way to add color to the embossing? I know this has probably been asked already but I searched and couldn't find it.
You can also ink the inside of your embossing folder before you put your paper in it. They clean really easily!

Another thing I have seen here, but not had any luck with is versamarking the inside of your folder, running it through the CB, pour embossing powder over your embossed image on the paper, tap off excess and heat emboss. The cards I have seen here look awesome, but unfortunately, I am not as talented as many of the stampers here. Good luck with your new CB and have fun with it!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #2055
Matboard Maniac

I also read here that you can lightly use a brayer to ink the raised part. I haven't tried it yet but think it will work. I bought the bug and didn't use it much until I saw someone elses card with embossing...then I was off and running. I think you will love the swiss dots. I think that is the one I like best.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #2056
Matboard Maniac

What an awesome idea! I'm just going to have to treat myself. THANKS!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:46 AM   #2057
Matboard Maniac

What are Nesties?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #2058
Mad Swapper

I was sent this site by Pennywise. It shows how you can use micro beads with your embossing folder, I haven't tried it yet but it looks really fun. If I have time later to day I may pull out my cuttlebug and beads.

http://www.pennywisearts.com/beadedcuttlebug.html

Jackie
Old 09-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #2059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibby View Post
What are Nesties?
Spellbinders Nestabilities.

They are low profile dies that are made by spellbinders
http://www.spellbinders.us
Old 09-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #2060
Insane Embellisher

Oh wow! I am totally hooked on my Bug!! I'm pretty new at scrapbooking and cardmaking. I've done a couple of albums and a few cards but that's it. I'm amazed at how much the CB helps create lovely cards. Mine are still pretty simple but I'm so pleased with what I've been able to do already and in such a short period of time. I've made 4-5 cards the past couple of days.

I'm so glad a friend told me about this site. (Dh and my wallet probably aren't though!) I've learned so much and gotten so many ideas. Thanks ladies!

p.s. I can't wait to make out my Christmas list!!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #2061
Matboard Maniac

I feel the same way about SCS. So many ideas!!! And Tutorials are great. I have used the product reviews to make decisions about buying and where to buy. I always tell my friends and relatives that if they get a card from me it is the most expensive card they will ever receive! Considering what I spend on my hobby I calculate they run about $50 each! (lol)
Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #2062
Insane Embellisher

Here I am at 7:00 a.m. reading through these posts and wishing I didn't have to go to work! Thankfully, we have internet access on our lunch break so I'll read more then. lol I can't wait to get home and play with my bug some more. You know what the bad (or maybe it's a good thing) thing is for me? I don't have a craft store of any kind less than and hr and a half from me. However, in a month or so I'll be going to buy a wedding dress for my daughter (she's getting married New Year's Eve) and there just happens to be a Hobby Lobby and Michael's close by. I had better be saving some money!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #2063
Polyshrink Goddess

goodgram....i had to laugh when i read your post ! i pass by the store cards for $1.00 each (and some look darn nice!) and say..."ha ! why buy for a buck when i can make it for $25 !"

my addiction (er, HOBBY) sure is costly but such fun....if i have to be addicted to something, paper, ink and stamps are at least healthy....sparks the brain cells for sure and exercises the arms (CB and sizzix pumps !!)

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #2064
Hardware Hotshot

You all are so right about what our handmade cards cost......but they are one of a kind masterpieces (some are, not mine!) and those people I send my cards to appreciate the love that went into them. You can't get that at a card store, can you?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #2065
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmom69 View Post
Here I am at 7:00 a.m. reading through these posts and wishing I didn't have to go to work! Thankfully, we have internet access on our lunch break so I'll read more then. lol I can't wait to get home and play with my bug some more. You know what the bad (or maybe it's a good thing) thing is for me? I don't have a craft store of any kind less than and hr and a half from me. However, in a month or so I'll be going to buy a wedding dress for my daughter (she's getting married New Year's Eve) and there just happens to be a Hobby Lobby and Michael's close by. I had better be saving some money!!!
I bought most of my embossing folders for the bug on Ebay. I have a Michaels and JoAnns very nearby, but they never seem to have a good variety. Warning, Ebay is a BAD habit...tred carefully!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 AM   #2066
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy1 View Post
goodgram....i had to laugh when i read your post ! i pass by the store cards for $1.00 each (and some look darn nice!) and say..."ha ! why buy for a buck when i can make it for $25 !"

my addiction (er, HOBBY) sure is costly but such fun....if i have to be addicted to something, paper, ink and stamps are at least healthy....sparks the brain cells for sure and exercises the arms (CB and sizzix pumps !!)
I know I am addicted. I make cards everyday and end up with so many I have to give them away to everyone I know, just to make room for the new ones. There is always the rationale that I already have all the materials, so they are free!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #2067
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgstamps4fun View Post
You all are so right about what our handmade cards cost......but they are one of a kind masterpieces (some are, not mine!) and those people I send my cards to appreciate the love that went into them. You can't get that at a card store, can you?

Sorry I took us off the subject matter (bug), but you are right there is something about pouring love into a card especially created for friends and family.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #2068
Insane Embellisher

I'm so glad I read the posts about using the xyron machine. Dd has one in her closet that she hasn't used in ages. I told her I'm taking it over! lol

Last edited by hsmom69; 09-09-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #2069
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulone View Post
You could use chalks over the embossing, that looks great!!!
Thanks! I've never used chalk before. Any certain kind I need or any tips I need to know?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #2070
Mad Swapper

I like my chalks but ink also works great.

I was stamping with a new friend last Saturday and I used some of her Embossing folders that I don't have yet...I know, it's hard to believe!
I took her swirls folder and embossed my cardstock and then took a paper towel and smushed it into my stamp pad to pick up the ink color and then rubbed it over the embossed cardstock. It took on a very soft subtle color and it was pretty. It's in my gallery but it doesn't show very good. Sorry.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
lfinlay@scicable.com
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #2071
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4stamps View Post
I like my chalks but ink also works great.

I was stamping with a new friend last Saturday and I used some of her Embossing folders that I don't have yet...I know, it's hard to believe!
I took her swirls folder and embossed my cardstock and then took a paper towel and smushed it into my stamp pad to pick up the ink color and then rubbed it over the embossed cardstock. It took on a very soft subtle color and it was pretty. It's in my gallery but it doesn't show very good. Sorry.
Very interesting! I will have to try your paper towel trick because I haven't had much luck with ink. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #2072
Pearl-ExPert

subscribing
Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #2073
Die Cut Diva

This question has probably been answered, so please bear w/ me...

Does the cuttlebug work with Quikcut dies?? Thanks so much!

I'm really thinking about buying one since I have a 50% coupon for Michaels!!! What a deal! I would only pay about $40 +tax!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #2074
Matboard Maniac

I used a Revolution Die and it worked great. I think the Quickcut dies work also. There is a thread that shows how to sandwich just about any die out there. I think dollar-for-dollar this is the best value around. I have a Silhouette and a Cricut and like them both, but find the Bug so easy to use, takes up so little room, does not have to be plugged in or connected to the computer. I know it is limited because each die is only one size, but I absolutely love the embossing. Good Luck if you decide to buy one. Hope you like it.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #2075
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgram64 View Post
I used a Revolution Die and it worked great. I think the Quickcut dies work also. There is a thread that shows how to sandwich just about any die out there. I think dollar-for-dollar this is the best value around. I have a Silhouette and a Cricut and like them both, but find the Bug so easy to use, takes up so little room, does not have to be plugged in or connected to the computer. I know it is limited because each die is only one size, but I absolutely love the embossing. Good Luck if you decide to buy one. Hope you like it.
Thanks Millie for your input! I'm gonna have to search out that thread. The more I think about it, I might have to buy it for myself as an early Xmas present!!! So many ppl are raving about it... & to tell you the truth, the Quikcut dies are so expensive I think I'm done buying those (of course, unless I get a great deal!)
Old 09-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #2076
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_S View Post
Thanks Millie for your input! I'm gonna have to search out that thread. The more I think about it, I might have to buy it for myself as an early Xmas present!!! So many ppl are raving about it... & to tell you the truth, the Quikcut dies are so expensive I think I'm done buying those (of course, unless I get a great deal!)
You'll love the Bug! Especially for the embossing it does!

You can get some pretty good deals for Quickutz dies on ebay and some online stores like Scrapbookexpress, CrazyScraps and Scrapbuggy have discounts quite often =)
Old 09-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #2077
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: In a van down by the river..the Minnesota river in Le Sueur, MN
Send a message via MSN to momofour26 Send a message via Yahoo to momofour26

My DH just bought me a cuttlebug!! Love Michaels for their 50 percent off coupon! Now I need some dies and embossing folders!! Woo hoo!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #2078
Stampin' Fool

Default snowflake die for C

Where can you find the crystal snowflake, the large one? I have seen it on a couple of blogs, but I cant seem to scare one up!

Jutta
Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #2079
Stazon Splitcoast

Are you talking about this one??? Snowflake

It's a Sizzix die--Stampin Up sells it, too.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #2080
Stampin' Fool

Default amysings

Hmmm....., I don't think it's the same thing. Close, but not quite. I think it's a CB die, a 3" square one. thanks for trying to help!

Jutta