Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Fredericksburg, VA, but originally from Scotland!:)
Smile

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I really appreciate it. I have a coupon for Jo-anns and will be using it tomorrow hopefully. Thanks again! This hobby is killing me!! lol)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #122
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinscotsgirl
I have recently purchased a "bug" and absolutely love it!! I want to buy one of the alphabet sets and was wondering what everyone uses to adhere them to their cards? Also wondering which one is the most popular/versatile?? Thanks in advance for your help. LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!

If you are looking for Alphabet sets, I got mine on Ebay. I found a great seller, and was able to bid and buy 4 sets of Alphabets for $80!!!! You can't beat that price. I got them within 3 days and she even threw in a set of circle die cuts for free.

Aimee
Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #123
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks Aimee. For sure going to check out ebay and see what they have to offer. I appreciate your response.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #124
Die Cut Diva

Just a heads up, ebay is wonderful if some of you did not know that yet. LOL I just had a little bit of fun with new cuttlebug auctions. I ended up spending $110.00, free shipping and handeling, where the normal cost would have been $281.50 regular or $213.50 if 40% off at Joanns or michaels! Can you belive that, I am so exicited!!!!!! I ended up purchasing the following:
Flower dies
Birthday dies
Scallop square dies
circle dies
Hearts dies
Sliders dies
Red Tag Sale Alpahabet dies
Olivia Alphabet Dies

I can't wait to stalk my Mailman/Ups man for them to come LOL I will have to find the name of the store where I got them and I will let you guys know.. Have a great "Buggie" night Gretchen
Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #125
Forum Fanatic

Thanks Amy for all of the great info in this thread!! I finally "broke down" and bought a CB this weekend. So Far, So good. I am SO relieved to read about the etching on the plates! My first die cut scared me when it cut to the plate! I am also eager to read other threads on how to use my SU brass templates with the CB. My neighbor has a QuicKutz machine and her dies work with the Bug, but not the emboss folders. Now she wants a Bug! Thanks also to Terrbear for the ebay seller.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #126
Mad Swapper

Amy, thanks for this wonderful thread! I got "the bug" yesterday for my b'day! I have the best DH and DD! I think my DD was just as excited as I was, but she was devastated when the dies cut into the cutting plates, even though I told her it was normal.

Anyway, just a couple questions...you said to flip and turn the plates for even wear. Do you use a different side everytime or use one side for awhile, then switch? Is it ok to run the die through w/ it on the side, rather than in the center?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #127
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain
Anyway, just a couple questions...you said to flip and turn the plates for even wear. Do you use a different side everytime or use one side for awhile, then switch?
I do both. I just try to watch the wear and keep it as spread out as possible. I use the large Sizzix dies a lot, and they pretty much take up the whole middle. So my smaller dies get put on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain
Is it ok to run the die through w/ it on the side, rather than in the center?
Yes.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #128
Mad Swapper

Thanks! You rock!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #129
Cardstock Collector

Amy - I got some embossing folders over the weekend and when I went to try them out they didn't go thru the Cuttlebug as nice as with the die cuts. Granted the dry emboss folder is thicker than I guess a die cut plate, so I was a little hesitant when it didn't threw the CB as easy. Is this normal.? I guess I was just afraid that I was going to break a plate...

Also, when I've been using the die cuts I've only been using one side of plate B and have already noticed a little curve to it..If I start using the other side of plate B will it break or do you think its safe?

thanks so much for your answers!!
Aimee
Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #130
Stazon Splitcoast

I think there's just a different feel to the embossing than there is to the die cutting. Oh, and as you use your Bug, it will loosen up a bit. Then sandwiches won't feel so tight.

Go ahead and turn your B plate over--and flip it around. This will reduce the warping and the cutting damage in any one spot. And I suggest to everyone that they just buy an extra set of B plates to begin with! That way, if one breaks, you have a spare.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #131
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to lezzels Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels
Default wow

Im very Happy it only took two weeks for my stuff to come from happyscrappin in USA to Oz I bought oliva and some embossing folders and a 2" die and spare cutting plates even with exchange rates and postage cheaper than buying downunder The only thing I dont have is my bug didnt buy that from US as the postage would have been $60-70 so it would have worked out the same as down under the Machine is $150aus = $120us+ postage, and hopefully it will be here in my hot little hands today or tomorrow
can hardly wait ..................I have been reading all about them on here and seen all the great work you girls have done nd I love it
Lezzels in OZ
Old 03-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #132
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love your Bug!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love your Bug!

Thamks Im sure I will I just get so annoyed that what you can get in the states and we have little here and takes forever to get ............I WANT IT TODAY IM ON A DAY OFF ...... It will proberly come tomorrow when i got to go to work....................This is killing me!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #134
Stazon Splitcoast

PS.......Amy thankyou so much you are such an angel all the work you put in here Im reading all your posts and I think you have helped a lot of ppl with their BUGS I have learnt alot so I should be well versed when I finally get mine ................... again we thank you
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #135
Glitter Queen

I have been trying to decide for a while now between buying a Sissix, Cuttlebug and a Quikutz. How about some input from those of you with more experience with these things than I have? Is there any one machine that will accept the dies from all of these? Thanks for your help!
Smittysgirl
Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #136
Stazon Splitcoast

The Cuttlebug will accept all those dies. If you'll read your way through this whole thread, you should be able to find lots of information.

The Sizzix is older, heavier, and works as a press, not a roller system. But it works, with adapters.

The Quickutz punch system is not terribly useful IMO since all the new roller systems came out. But you can use those dies in a Cuttlebug. But they only cut cardstock and paper, not chipboard.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #137
Matboard Maniac

Smile anyone ordered from this company?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please bear with me . Has anyone ordered from a company called 1StopSquare.com or V&K details,inc. If you have ordered from them I would love to hear from you! Thanks in advance.
Pam
Marine Mom!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #138
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Pam,

I have heard bad reports of 1stopsquare.com. You will get more response on this if you post in the General Stamping forum. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #139
Forum Fanatic

I asked this on another thread, but maybe I will get a better response here. I bought some Fiskars Templates, because I "needed" a wave one. Can I just run this through the Cuttlebug the same way as I would a Cuttlebug A2 Embossing Plate? If not, what do I do? Thanks! LM
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #140
Stazon Splitcoast

No--they're not that easy, unfortunately. On Cat's Cuttlebug Stack thread, she lists these suggestions for Fiskars plates:

Plate A, Fiskars texture Plate, Cardstock, tan Wizard pad, black or tan Wizard pad, (possible Cardstock shim,) Plate B
Also try:
Plate A, Fiskars texture Plate, Cardstock (lightly misted with water), 2 layers Fun Foam, Chipboard Shim, Plate C
Also try:
Plate A, Fiskars texture Plate, Cardstock (right side towards TP), Rubber Plate (made from Plumbers rubber gasket), Plate C

You can also use a BISK (Big Impressions Starter Kit), but they're now discontinued, so hard to find.

Hope this gives you some help!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #141
Stazon Splitcoast

Question silly ??

I'm going to ask a silly question about die cutting ..........(I ordered some dies and embossing folder from USA at the same time I ordered my bug from another state downunder stuff from USA here a couple of days ago from happyscappin bug still not here ) but question is havin never used a die cutter or even seen some one else use one, Im curious about diff colored ones as I have the animals from cuttle bug how does one go about doing them in diff colors........as they are illastrated Im thinking lots of small pieces of paper would that be right?? I think I saw some one use a sizzix on the DIY scrapbook show and thats about all
All imput gratfully accepted

Lezzels in Oz
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #142
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezzels
I'm going to ask a silly question about die cutting ..........(I ordered some dies and embossing folder from USA at the same time I ordered my bug from another state downunder stuff from USA here a couple of days ago from happyscappin bug still not here ) but question is havin never used a die cutter or even seen some one else use one, Im curious about diff colored ones as I have the animals from cuttle bug how does one go about doing them in diff colors........as they are illastrated Im thinking lots of small pieces of paper would that be right?? I think I saw some one use a sizzix on the DIY scrapbook show and thats about all
All imput gratfully accepted

Lezzels in Oz
I have heard of people cutting out different little scraps of paper and putting it on each little part of the die cut, but that sounds pretty tedious to me.

What I would do, since the dies are really pretty small, is just run several sets through of the same die, in different colors, then take the colors from each set and assemble your animal or whatever.

I saw one where a person used the baby die this way and it looked great.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 AM   #143
Compulsive Stamper

Can I use the embossingdie from Quickutz in the Cuttlebug? And if: a+b+c?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #144
Kookie Creator

Lezzels

The tutorial here
http://www.allthatscraps.com/index.p...c07bec26066151
Step By Step Die layerring
Old 03-22-2007, 05:02 AM   #145
Kookie Creator

i find Cats stacking file a little hard to know what to do. What is a Chipboard Shim? For Brass templates do I cut up a regular mouse pad? Half of things I should try I don't have and don't know where to get them! I would love to emboss with my brass plates but thres out any old mouse pad I used to have.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #146
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up Thankyou

Thanks very much for that I shall be ready I have just had a new grandson thats why I bought the bugs animals then I thought how am I going to do this since I have never die cut before so thanks for your help
lezzels in oz
Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 AM   #147
Stazon Splitcoast

Default good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciann
Lezzels

The tutorial here
http://www.allthatscraps.com/index.p...c07bec26066151
Step By Step Die layerring

have put that page in my favs so I can go back to it there is some interesting stuff there

lezzels in oz
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciann
i find Cats stacking file a little hard to know what to do. What is a Chipboard Shim? For Brass templates do I cut up a regular mouse pad? Half of things I should try I don't have and don't know where to get them! I would love to emboss with my brass plates but thres out any old mouse pad I used to have.
A "shim" is a carpentry term--it's something that you use to make a joint tighter. So for die cutting, it would be a layer you put in to make the sandwich stack tighter.

You can cut chipboard to fit in, and you may need more than 1 sheet.

I haven't even tried to use a brass template, aren't I bad? Maybe I'll give that a shot today. LOL If you have a Big Impressions Starter Kit (BISK--now discontinued) or a Wizard kit, they have the hard plate and soft rubber sheet that make the brass templates possible. If you're "doing it yourself," Cat's list suggests some materials that may work. If you try a mousepad, make sure it's a very thin one. Or you can try a layer or two of fun foam--it's cheap and easy to find. Another option is the rubber gasket available in plumbing stores (or Lowes, etc). Get the thinnest kind you can find.

The object is to give the template and paper something *flexible* to work against, thereby allowing areas of the cardstock to be pushed *through* the template.

The other important tip is to spritz your cardstock with water--it makes the paper more flexible and accomplishes a better impression.

Keep trying--it may take several attempts!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #149
Watercolor Wizard

I tried mine with Sizzix Simple Impressions brass embossing plates and got a pretty good image. I don't own a Sizzix, but they had a sale on the folders recently and I got a bunch of them really cheap.

I did have to cut a piece of thin cardboard (from a cereal box) to use with it.

The best impressions, though, I think, are using the Cuttlebug folders.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #150
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok
The best impressions, though, I think, are using the Cuttlebug folders.
Oh, I completely agree! That's why I haven't tried the brass templates yet. I didn't even really like the BISK stuff--my CB folders have spoiled me! LOL
Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #151
Die Cut Diva

I just ordered a bunch of A2 CB folders I can't find locally (including Bloom Dots, etc). Oh boy am I excited to play!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #152
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
Congratulations on owning a Cuttlebug! You probably have lots of questions, so we tried to assemble most of the answers right here.

Here is a comparison of Big Shot and Cuttlebug from Julie HRR's marvelous blog.

Here is a fantastic resource on the "sandwiches" you can use for all different brands of dies and texture plates, as well as other media. Cat's Fantastic Sandwich Stack List This is the place to find out which dies you can use. (Hint: pretty much all of them. Some will require a few extra accessories.)

When you die cut, it will leave marks on your cutting plate. This is normal. Eventually, your cutting plate will wear out (Provo Craft says it will do about 500 cuts). Then you will need replacements. You should be able to get those at a Michael's, or ask the online retailer where you purchased your Bug.

Eventually, you may want to use brass templates or texture plates. You can use the homemade sandwich described in Cat's Sandwich chart, or you can purchase a Wizard Charm Kit or a BISK (Big Impressions Starter Kit). These kits contain thin, soft rubber sheets ("plates") that allow the embossing to occur with brass templates or texture plates. These kits are available at many of the online vendors listed below.

Vendors (this list cannot be complete *ever*, but this is a sampling)

Michael's and Joann's stores (not Joann.com)
They take coupons on the Cuttlebug, but you may have to explain that the Cuttlebug is NOT a Cricut product, just made by Provo Craft

Online Vendors recommended by SCS users:
Busy Bee Scrapbooking
http://busybeescrapbooking.com

Happy Scrappin' Scrapbooking
http://www.happyscrappinscrapbooking.com/

Paper Dreams Store
http://www.paperdreamsstore.com
(good selection, but the website does not notify you when things are out of stock)

Ellison
http://www.ellisondesign.com/
(a little higher priced, but have BISK and other somewhat unusual dies/plates)

Joann.com
http://www.joann.com
(often will not accept coupons on any die cut stuff, including Cuttlebug. does not always notify you that things are out of stock until much later.)

All That Scraps
http://www.allthatscraps.com/

Where can I locate the Plumbers Rubber Gasket. Home Depot & Lowes did not know what I was talking about. Glad for any help.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #153
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene333
Where can I locate the Plumbers Rubber Gasket. Home Depot & Lowes did not know what I was talking about. Glad for any help.
I haven't bought any, but I know people have found it in the plumbing departments at these stores. Often, you'll get better help at a local hardware store--such as Ace or TruValue.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #154
Stazon Splitcoast

I got mine at Home Depot, but originally they didn't know what the heck I was talking about, until my husband explained what I wanted. It comes on a big roll about 5 feet long and is sold by the foot and it is in the plumbing section. It is also called shower pan liner. It costs about $5 for a foot of it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #155
Die Cut Diva

Ok ladies... was just browsing the sizzix clearance for some Sizzix Originals to use in my CB and ran across the following. Can you tell me your opinion on this?

"You can use a hammer to kill a fly, or a skateboard to come home from the grocery store, but any good craftsman will tell you to "use the right tool for the right job."

By using Sizzix Originals and Simple Impressions Embossing Folders* in your Sizzix Machine, you are assured of the longest life for each. That's because Sizzix Dies were specially engineered to work with the Sizzix Machine.

Other companies who have recently jumped on the die-cutting and embossing bandwagon with unproven technology claim their machines will work with our dies. However, we have received some troubling feedback, as well as other serious questions and concerns raised by crafters about the compatibility of Sizzix products in these machines.

From the initial tests we have conducted, we have seen premature aging and severe damage to Sizzix Originals when used in other manufacturer's "ratchet or roller" systems. They appear to cause undue wear and tear on the dies at an accelerated rate.

The Sizzix Machine, on the other hand, was developed for consumers in conjunction with Ellison, the acknowledged pioneer of the die-cutting industry. Our 28-year legacy of manufacturing the finest die-cutting machines was instrumental in creating a brand of products built on quality, functionality and affordability.

So the message is clear: Don't risk prematurely wearing out, damaging or bending your Sizzix Originals or Embossing Folders in a non-Sizzix machine. We will update you once the final results of our thorough tests are complete. Thank you again for your continued interest in the Sizzix brand, and for making Sizzix the standard by which all other die-cutters are measured."
Old 03-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #156
Watercolor Wizard

That is very interesting, Julia.

I recently bought a whole bunch of the Sizzix Simple Impressions brass embossing folders because they were on sale really cheap, like about $2 each.

I don't own a Sizzix, and have never even used one. I only recently got the Cuttlebug, which I am enjoying tremendously.

That said, I do think you can't blame the Sizzix people for wanting people to buy their machine, and not Cuttlebug. It has been my life experience that self-interest always plays a big part in all marketing and advertising. "Use or buy our product - it is the best, the only, bla bla bla."

Whether what they say about damaging the plates is true or not??? I would be inclined to consider the source, myself. I am kind of cynical about big corporations and think a lot of what they say to consumers is really kind of "scare tactics" to keep you loyal to them. They want you to fear you will break their product if you deviate in any way.

There are lots of products with warnings that if you do X, Y, or Z, you will void the warranty. Well, even if you follow all the rules, lots of times the warranty is not worth much in the end, if you actually try to collect on it.

But if I was a big Sizzix person and had lots of Sizzix stuff that I used with my Sizzix, I might feel differently.

I bought the Sizzix Simple Impressions folders strictly to use in my Cuttlebug, and have used them quite a bit. They do not appear to be suffering any damage at all.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #157
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I would also consider that Provocraft and Ellison made the Sizzix brand as a joint venture. There was a legal battle, and now Ellison owns the Sizzix name. So, there is bound to be some bad blood there. In addition, Ellison makes the Big Shot and Big Kick machines, which are roller machines. Are they saying that their roller machines aren't good for their dies, either? Or just Provocraft's roller machine.

Soooooo, let the buyer beware, I guess. LOL
Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 AM   #158
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to caostampin
Default Thanks to Amy...

This thread has been so helpful for me in deciding whether or not to purchase a Cuttlebug. I guess I've been enabled, because I bought one this morning on JoAnn.com. The info I found here was the best resource. Kudos to Amy with her kindness in sharing all the tips. Now, if I can just wait for my 'Bug......

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 03-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #159
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to caostampin
Default A Question about Alpha Dies...

Amy - while browsing your gallery I saw a few cards made with embossing folders and "thanks" using the Olivia alphabet. It looked like all of the letters in "thanks" were connected. Can this be done using a Cuttlebug? I love the look of it.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 03-24-2007, 04:54 AM   #160
Pearl-ExPert

Christine

jumpin in for Amy here - I have the Olivia alpha set - and the Thanks is one diecut. (actually why I got this particular alpha. And it also has a really cute vase!

Patti