Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #81
Matboard Maniac

Question CuttleBug

Hi all - I am heading south to the border. That's the Washington state border. I was wondering if anyone in the Bellingham area knows of a 40% off coupon or a really awesone sale - so I can get the Cuttlebug Cheap. Or at least compare prices to Canadian.
Thanks for all your help
Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #82
Stazon Splitcoast

Joann's has all Cuttlebug 40% off--regular price at Joann's is $89 for the Bug, I believe. But there was a Michael's 40% off coupon in the paper today, and the Bug is cheaper there--$79 regular price.

Soooo, it depends on which is more convenient for you. You don't need coupons at Joanns, but their selection (at least in my area) is smaller. Hope this gives you a starting point, at least!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #83
Die Cut Diva

HAs anyone had trouble with some of the dies not cutting through completely? Mine have all worked but I have heard of others that didn't . Could it be where the die is placed?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #84
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkn2
Hi all - I am heading south to the border. That's the Washington state border. I was wondering if anyone in the Bellingham area knows of a 40% off coupon or a really awesone sale - so I can get the Cuttlebug Cheap. Or at least compare prices to Canadian.
Thanks for all your help
Brenda
Brenda, I take it you're in the Lower Mainland? Me, too! Out in Agassiz! What a small world, eh? I grew up in Abby and my family lives in Chilliwack, and now I'm here in Agassiz. If you find anything good down there, please let us know! I'll be looking for info on what you find.

“If I didn't have spiritual faith, I would be a pessimist. I've read the last page in the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." - Billy Graham

Nazanin is free!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #85
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Thank goodness...this thread finally tells me what a cuttlebug is!! LOL
I have seen so many gallery cards that refer to it, and I had NO CLUE! I have not yet ventured into the dry embossing or die cut world.

...but my b-day is this summer...by then who knows? Time to start my wish list!!
My Gallery QFTD#207

My blog: Stamping for LIFE!

2014 Total Cards Created: 403
NEW Cards Mailed: 140 OLD Cards Mailed: 20 Cards Donated: 106 Cards Swapped: 4

Christmas Cards Created: 39 2014 SCS Challenges Completed: 178 2014 Blog challenges completed: 97
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #86
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Terrbear Send a message via Yahoo to Terrbear

I just wanted to let you all know I have found a great seller on ebay who is selling the cuttlebug dies and embossing folders for more than 50% off. She is a pleasure to work with and ships fast too. Here ebay user name is Doglover152 if anyone wants to check out what she has to offer.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #87
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMarieZ
do CB dies work in a QK handle?
I love some of their dies but don't want to buy CB if I don't have to... I can use the folders with my rolling pin I already have
I posted in the following thread. But the short answer is No they are too thick. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...58#post5041358
Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #88
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone had their letter plates curve after cutting with them? Is this normal?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #89
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Terrbear Send a message via Yahoo to Terrbear

That happened to me when I had it in backwards. Make sure you have it in with the white side up.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #90
Forum Fanatic

Subscribing
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #91
Polyshrink Goddess

Is there a way to use multiple colors when cutting one image (such as the bday pieces) so that the hat, cake, etc., comes out multicolored?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #92
Watercolor Wizard

The only way I can think of would be to cut small pieces of paper just to fit slightly over the outline of each image in the die in the different colors you wanted, kind of like piecing a quilt.

But what I would probably do, since it is so quick to run the Bug, and the dies are so small, is to just run several sets in different colors that I wanted, and use the pieces from each set. A little paper would be wasted, but not much.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok
But what I would probably do, since it is so quick to run the Bug, and the dies are so small, is to just run several sets in different colors that I wanted, and use the pieces from each set. A little paper would be wasted, but not much.
That's what I do, too. And I have found it possible to run at least 2 layers of CS (SU thickness) through my Bug at once. I haven't tried 3 yet! But 2 run just fine. My Bug has seemed to be one of the "looser" ones, though.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #94
Embossing Fanatic

Does anyone have a number for Provo Craft. I tried calling the # on their web site and got a message that the # was no longer in service??????
TYIA Helene
Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #95
Stazon Splitcoast

Is this the number you tried?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #96
Cardstock Collector

Default Newbie

Hi All - I just bought myCB tonight. I got it at AC Moore for 40% off which was a great deal. And next Saturday they will be having 40% off ALL CB mechandise..I can't begin to explain how much this thread helped me make my decision on what die cutting machine to use.

Now, this is my very first die cutting machine, and I know what they do, but not really how they work. So I get home tonight with my new machine and want to try it out. I followed the instructions, and then my die cut came out perfect, but I was a little suprised how much of a etching/scratch it leaves on the top B plate. I thought I did something wrong and got all freaked out! Is this normal? I just thought I would run it thru and the plate would be clean..How often should I replace them? And I think I read that I can flip the plate over to make it last longer?

Thanks Everyone!!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #97
Stazon Splitcoast

You're doing it right. That's how the die cuts all the way through the material. You can turn and flip your plates, but you wil eventually crack one. Buy a set of replacement B plates when they are on sale! The plates should last at least a couple months, depending on how much cutting you do.

The embossing will not wear the plates at all, at least in my experience so far.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #98
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
Is this the number you tried?
Yes, & I was wondering if they changed it since they are receiving so many calls about cracked B plates.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #99
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene333
Yes, & I was wondering if they changed it since they are receiving so many calls about cracked B plates.
Ooops, I think I goofed. I just called the # you listed and got through, even though they were closed. Is is possible I dialed the wrong # twice. Yep, with me it's possible. Thanks Amy, I will call again on Monday
Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #100
Gabfest Goddess

Woo Hooo ! I got my Cuttlebug today! IT was on special order from Joann's at the $50 price, i was surprised they would do Rainchecks but they did, and it came in today, plus I picked up 3 more embossing folders while they were still on sale!!!
So far I'm loving it!
I have a sizzix and I love that too!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #101
Forum Fanatic

A couple of questions:

-Can someone give me the link to the cuttlebitis thread that was referred to many times on this thread?
-Does anyone know of a large oval die that I could use with the cuttlebug? Almost as large as an A2 Card? I have no skill with the Coluzzle or CM cutting thingies.

LM
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #102
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanerme
-Can someone give me the link to the cuttlebitis thread that was referred to many times on this thread?
-Does anyone know of a large oval die that I could use with the cuttlebug? Almost as large as an A2 Card? I have no skill with the Coluzzle or CM cutting thingies.
The Cuttlebugitis thread is located just a few threads down from here in the Tools Forum.

I do not own such a die--but I would suggest the Ellison website or the Sizzix website. Those seem like the most likely places to find a large oval die.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #103
Insane Embellisher

Cuttlebug question...I've been playing with mine the past couple of days. Is it supposed to make a "cracking" noise as the dies and spacers go through? I've only been cutting regular CS.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #104
Die Cut Diva

Hello eveyone, I just got my cuddlebug today! yeah!!! I was looking at using my fiskars texture plates and I got very confused. It says to use a tan wizard pad and then a tan or black wizard pad, is this two pads or just one? Also, what are they and can I get them at JoAnn's or a place like it? Second question about the fiskars texture plates, what is fun foam? A chipboard shim? And how do you get a rubber plade from a plumbers rubber gasket? I am sorry for all the questions, i just want to do it right so that I dont' hurt my new "Cuttlebuddie". Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #105
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Moving home to Kiwiland sometime soon, I hope! Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada until then.

Just want to say that http://www.scrappingreatdeals.com/Cuttlebug.htm
is a great company to deal with in Canada.
I had tried for several weeks to get a bug from my local Michaels (Halifax NS), and all I found there was a complete unwillingness to help. No shipments in, no idea when they will be getting a shipment in, if they ever will be, and they were totally uninterested in helping, if the big annoyed sigh I got on the phone was any indication!
OTOH, scrappinggreatdeals have been friendly, quick, and they have bugs in stock!
HTH someone!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #106
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatydidAW
Cuttlebug question...I've been playing with mine the past couple of days. Is it supposed to make a "cracking" noise as the dies and spacers go through? I've only been cutting regular CS.

Thanks!
The cracking sounds are normal, believe it or not. Provo Craft says it's the materials "screaming" at being compressed so much. LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #107
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGKV
Hello eveyone, I just got my cuddlebug today! yeah!!! I was looking at using my fiskars texture plates and I got very confused. It says to use a tan wizard pad and then a tan or black wizard pad, is this two pads or just one?
This is two pads--older versions of the kit came with a tan and a black. Newer versions just have 2 black.

Quote:
Also, what are they and can I get them at JoAnn's or a place like it?
You can buy either the Wizard Charm Embossing Kit or the BISK (Big Impressions Starter Kit). They do the same thing, but the BISK comes with 3 double-sided texture plates.

My Joanns doesn't have them, but joann.com may. allthatscraps.com, busybeescrapbooking.com, and the other vendors mentioned at the top of this thread usually stock both.

Quote:
Second question about the fiskars texture plates, what is fun foam? A chipboard shim? And how do you get a rubber plade from a plumbers rubber gasket? I am sorry for all the questions, i just want to do it right so that I dont' hurt my new "Cuttlebuddie". Thanks a bunch!!!!!
Fun foam is the inexpensive craft foam that comes in sheets. It's usually available in kids crafts sections. A "shim" is a carpentry/builder term for "place holder" that makes something a bit tighter. So you could add a sheet of chipboard or fun foam to make your CB stack tighter. Some people have also had success with plumber's gasket (available at hardware stores), which is a sheet of thin rubber.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #108
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Tutorial for BISK

Here is a great new tutorial on how to use the BISK (Big Impressions Starter Kit). AmyR's website is full of great information, so do some surfing while you're there!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #109
Matboard Maniac

Smile Cuttlebug 50% off

Wow, thank you everyone! I just used a JoAnne's 50% coupon at Michaels and got the CB for $42.00. (This is my second
Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #110
Matboard Maniac

I meant this is my second post
Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #111
Cardstock Collector

Amy! I'm so impressed! You are the queen of info! I was wondering if you could tell me what the difference is between CUTTLEBUG AND CRICUT. I bought a cricut that have not opened yet because someone told me there's one coming out soon that will let us print on 12x12 layouts. Do you know about this? Which is better in your opinion, Cricut or Cuttlebug?
Thank you!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #112
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, thank you for the compliment! You know, in real life (rather than virtual), they call me a "know-it-all." Somehow "queen of info" sounds so much nicer! LOL

The Cricut and the Cuttlebug are entirely different creatures. They both are diecut machines, but that is the only similarity. The Cuttlebug is operated by turning a hand crank. The Cricut is electronic. The Cuttlebug embosses, but the Cricut does not. The Cuttlebug cuts through all kinds of materials, while the Cricut only cuts through paper and cardstock.

BUT, the Cricut can be programmed (with different cartridges) to cut *any* shape, letter, word, etc. in sizes from about 1 inch to about 5 inches. That gives you amazing versatility. I don't have a Cricut, so I'm not fully aware of all its abilities. There are other threads in this forum by Cricut owners, and that would be your best bet. There is a new 12x12 cricut coming out soon, but the price will be substantially higher than the current Cricut.

Hope this gives you a few ideas!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #113
Die Cut Diva

Amy, thanks for answering all my questions. I think that I have it now. i will let you know which I have the most success with. You are wonderful and I don't know what I would do without this thread!! Thanks again Gretchen
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #114
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to superiorstamper Send a message via Yahoo to superiorstamper

My B plate just cracked.......I have only had the machine for less than a month and have only used it a couple of times....is this normal? I was just using an embossing folder....and it cracked in the middle...that is where I had the folder. I have read on here that it is best to put things in the middle to make the pressure be constant....any suggestions....I will go buy a new one tomorrow...Thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #115
Stazon Splitcoast

You should be able to get at least a couple hundred cuts on a plate--but that is with flipping it and cutting on all different parts of it. If all your cuts were in one spot, then even embossing may have cracked it. If you've only been embossing, then the plates definitely shouldn't have cracked at all.

Some of the original plates were defective. So call Provo Craft (1.800.937.7686) and see if they'll send you a replacement.

I've used my Bug quite a bit since Christmas, and just this week cracked the second of that first set of plates. I don't know if mine were defective or just used up! LOL I already had some backup plates, so I've just been using those.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #116
Polyshrink Goddess

Amy - What do you think about the cb alphabets. I have one alpha but I just don't like always having to use the full die just to get one letter and then the whole thing always leaves an impression on the plate. Doesn't this just wear the plate out quicker? I feel that just for one word so much etching on the plate is happening. I am really thinking about getting a sizzlet alpha so I only use what I need. Do you use your alphas quite a bit? What ones do you have and like. Anyone have zny sizzlet alphas that they use and are worth purchasing? I kind of like the thick cb alpha(red tag?) because you can emboss the letters as well, but maybe sizzlets make more sense. TIA
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #117
Insane Embellisher

Default CB alphabet

I have the Red Tag and the Harmony alphabet. I cut strips and only use the paper for the letters that I need so I don't waste my nice paper. I didn't find they leave much of an impression on the plates at all.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast

I have Olivia and Red Tag. I also just cut bits for the letters/shapes I want to die cut. I guess they do leave an impression, but I haven't noticed it being a lot of wear and tear.

The CB alphas area a *great* value. You get uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and extra dies all in one set. Most alphas are not that way. Sizzlits are a good deal, too, but remember that they won't cut through chipboard. If that doesn't matter to you, then they are a great option.The cost is pretty similar, depending on sales, coupons, etc. It was really important to me to be able to cut through chipboard, so the CB alphas were ideal for me.

Every time I'm near a Michael's with a coupon, I try to pick up a spare set of plates, so I don't worry about the wear too much.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #119
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Fredericksburg, VA, but originally from Scotland!:)

I have recently purchased a "bug" and absolutely love it!! I want to buy one of the alphabet sets and was wondering what everyone uses to adhere them to their cards? Also wondering which one is the most popular/versatile?? Thanks in advance for your help. LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #120
Stazon Splitcoast

Olivia is one of the most popular, along with Harmony and Red Tag Sale. But they all have their fans! I like Olivia because of all the extras that come with it. I got Red Tag because I could use it for more masculine projects--the Olivia is pretty girly.

To adhere the letters, I use the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen. I bought mine at Michaels, but you can get them at Archivers or online. It is like a regular ball point pen, but glue comes out instead of ink.