Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #961
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinAnytime View Post
I have a Spellbinders Wizard emboss/die cut system in which I can hardly press down the handle to move the sandwich through the machine. I have carpel tunnel syndrome in my right hand. How hard or difficult is it to turn the handle of the Cuttlebug? I love the embossing folders of the Cuttlebug, especially the snow flakes.
Sally T. Stamping Anytime
I find that with CB embossing folders, it just glides thru, I was shocked at how smooth actually.
The only other thing I've run thru mine is Sizzix alphabars and those are so think it can be tough.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #962
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone had luck cutting medium weight chipboard w/ the nestabilities dies? I've tried every creative stack in the world and still - no luck. I have no problems cutting medium weight w/ my CB dies. But the 'blade' doesn't seem tall enough to cut through on my nestabilities dies. If you have had luck - could you share your stack? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #963
Stazon Splitcoast

No, the Nestabilities will not cut the coasters. They are not "deep" enough.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #964
Compulsive Stamper

Just bought my Cuttlebug today. Got it from Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon. Can't wait to use it. And thanks for all the info from all of you. It helped me decide what to buy and great stuff on how to use it.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #965
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Lady View Post
Just bought my Cuttlebug today. Got it from Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon. Can't wait to use it. And thanks for all the info from all of you. It helped me decide what to buy and great stuff on how to use it.
I got mine about a week ago and I just love it! You will too!!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #966
Rubber Obsessor

Bummer! Thanks for the info though - now I know it's not something that I'm doing wrong!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #967
Pearl-ExPert

Just in case anyone is interested, both the Cuttlebug and the BIGkick will cut the heavy chipboard very nicely. I bought the brand Die Cuts With a View (I think that's what it's called). Came in 3 different varieties b/w, bright colors and neutrals. I got mine at AC Moore. You'll need to use the larger dies as the smaller ones have too short a steel rule.

Patti
Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #968
Gabfest Goddess

Are the new dies & embossing folders available for purchase now?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #969
Pearl-ExPert

*O*2*B*stampin'......Which new dies and embossing folders are you referring to?

Patti
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #970
Gabfest Goddess

paisley embossing folder & the others that came out with it
Old 12-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #971
Pearl-ExPert

*O*2*B*stampin'.........Whose brand of these dies and embossing folders are you talking about?

Patti
Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #972
Matboard Maniac

I believe the new embossing folders are due about January 4th.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #973
Embossing Fanatic

I have seen Cuttlebugs at HL in Grand Rapids Mi--they only take their own coupons tho--they don't seem to keep up on the upcoming die cut or embossers tho.

i ave seen the new dies and embossers on allthatscraps.com --seems to be a good price.
happy shopping---
oh I almost forgot --I have cut some chipboard out but my plates were old and they broke-- I think I was using a thinner cardboard type it would not cut out DCWV chipboard
Old 12-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #974
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not a matter of which machines will cut chipboard, it's a matter of which *dies* will cut chipboard. Sizzix Originals and Cuttlebug dies will cut medium weight chipboard and anything thinner than that. Sizzlits, Nestabilities, and some other brands will only cut cardstock. I have heard some people have success cutting thin chipboard (cereal box weight) with Nesties, but I haven't tried it yet. I can't seem to consistently cut 2 thicknesses of SU cardstock.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #975
Pearl-ExPert

amysings......The Sizzix Originals and Cuttlebug dies will cut the heavy chipboard also. I do it quite frequently to make frames for photogaphs. It may make strange sounds as it rolls through, but does do it. I've contacted both manufacturers and they've agreed. I was also told and shown in a class by a Sizzix Rep.

Yes some people may try it and feel the fit is too tight and not want to continue. That's fine, better to be cautious than damage a cutting pad.

Patti.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #976
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via AIM to kisa31707 Send a message via Yahoo to kisa31707

What places do you think will have them on January 4th? I plan to purchase the cuttlebug next week and I want some of the new embossing folders.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #977
Embossing Fanatic

michaels and joannes carry limited cuttlebug embossing folders are there any online sites to order more folders at a resonable price?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #978
Pearl-ExPert

I gotten my Cuttlebug dies and embossing folders from mostly AC Moore and a few at Michaels. On-line I purchased from Creative Express and Cropping Corner.

Patti
Old 12-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #979
Stazon Splitcoast

allthatscraps.com is my favorite. free shipping if you spend more than $10.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #980
Embossing Fanatic

THANKS FOR THE WEBSITES
ALL THAT SCRAPS HAS ALL THE NEW CUTTLEBUG FOLDERS WHICH I WILL PLACE AN ORDER
I JUST ORDERED 10 OF THE OLDER CUTTLEBUG FOLDERS FROM JOANN ONLINE "ON SALE 3.74" AND FREE SHIPPING
Old 12-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #981
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Amy for that information. I am always looking for places that has free shipping.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #982
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to Speckledtortie

Yay! I have a cuttlebug. I bought it yesterday with an online coupon from Roberts. My daughter and I have been practicing with the embossing folders. It is so much fun.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #983
Stampin' Fool

Okay, I've read through 20 pages (so far) and am still a little confused. My friend came over last week with her new die cut/embossing machine. She bought a Sizzex and had the thicker foamy dies (I think these are Sizzex, right?), some plastic folders for embossing (I think these are Cuttlebug) and then some thinner, smaller squares (like 2"x2") dies that might have been Sizzlets (right?) that she has used for chipboard & cardstock alike. She had a magnetic converter that she put on the Sizzex when she used the thinner dies & embossing folders.

I received some money to play with and am not sure what machine to go with. I wondered if the Sizzex is old news or why she went with that one vs. Cuttlebug. I asked her and she made it sound like she could do so much more with her set-up. Is that the case? I *think* I'd do more die cutting than I would embossing, but who knows! I hardly take the time to *play* and do create stuff more out of necessity because I have an upcoming event - which if I DIDN'T do, I might never play? That's a whole 'nother thread. I hope somebody can straighten me out!

SO, from what I've read...my choices are: (and what are the differences, again?)

Big Kick
Side Kick
Cuttlebug
Sizzex
Sizzlets
what else am I missing?

sorry to be so ignorant! We are having horrible weather at the moment or I'd sneak out to Michaels with my 50% coupon and try to at least look in real life at these systems.

Thanks!

Kelly
Old 12-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #984
Pearl-ExPert

I received a cuttlebug as a Christmas present and I am so excited. I wanted to post to this thread so that when I have more time I can check out all the info. I like the die cutting, but am more interested in embossing. Especially if I can play around with some of the SU templates. I have the pick a petal set and am thinking about getting the embossing templates, that is if they are in the new catalog. Anyways, just excited about my cuttlebug and will check back when I have more time.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #985
Pearl-ExPert

My3LittleGirls.......In my opinion, IF you can afford it, go with the BIGkick. The machine is by Sizzix. The machine you are talking about of your friend's with the converter is the original Sizzix die cutting machine that can also emboss, but it can not work with all the new dies and embossing folders, sizzlets etc.

If it is a matter of $$, second choice would be the Cuttlebug by Provo. It's still a super choice, but is a bit smaller. Will still handle all the dies and embossing folders you mention. Only difference between the 2 machines that I've found is that the Cuttlebug can not emboss with brass templates. (Yes, I'm sure someone on this board will come back and say they can with theirs. It may be possible, but would take additional items that are not part of the Cuttlebug line.)

I have both machines and prefer my BIGkick mostly because it can handle a larger size paper or what ever material I choose to use in it.

In which ever machine you choose, the Cuttlebug embossing folders do a SUPER job of a deep embossing.

Patti
Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #986
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
My3LittleGirls.......In my opinion, IF you can afford it, go with the BIGkick. The machine is by Sizzix. The machine you are talking about of your friend's with the converter is the original Sizzix die cutting machine that can also emboss, but it can not work with all the new dies and embossing folders, sizzlets etc.

If it is a matter of $$, second choice would be the Cuttlebug by Provo. It's still a super choice, but is a bit smaller. Will still handle all the dies and embossing folders you mention. Only difference between the 2 machines that I've found is that the Cuttlebug can not emboss with brass templates. (Yes, I'm sure someone on this board will come back and say they can with theirs. It may be possible, but would take additional items that are not part of the Cuttlebug line.)

I have both machines and prefer my BIGkick mostly because it can handle a larger size paper or what ever material I choose to use in it.

In which ever machine you choose, the Cuttlebug embossing folders do a SUPER job of a deep embossing.

Patti

So, let me get this straight - I can use it to emboss or die cut and I could probably use dies & embossing folders from other systems and be able to cut thru chipboard, coasters, foam, and the other things mentioned in this 25 page thread? (such as felt, fabric, etc...) I feel so silly asking such simple questions that will take just a moment of playing to figure out, but if I'm making a purchase, of course I want one that will suit my *needs* for a long time and be very versatile.

Now, my next question - does Michael's carry it? It is still snowing, almost 20 hours later, over a sheet of ice from the rain/drizzle all day yesterday, so I still haven't been able to sneak out - durn it! My DH is home, 2 kids are playing and one is napping and I want to go out ALONE!!!! It IS within 2 miles of my house...
Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #987
Pearl-ExPert

My3LittleGirls.......No, your questions are not silly. I understand your questions and you're smart to find out all you can. You want to be sure it WILL meet your needs. That makes perfect sense!

I don't know where you live, but the 2 Michaels stores nearest to me do carry the Cuttlebug and BIGkick. But, it might not be a bad idea to phone your store to be certain they have it in stock. Also......if you have the coupon to the store, you can use it to make the purchase of either machine you choose.

Any other questions........just ask away.

Patti
Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #988
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3LittleGirls View Post
I received some money to play with and am not sure what machine to go with. I wondered if the Sizzex is old news or why she went with that one vs. Cuttlebug. I asked her and she made it sound like she could do so much more with her set-up. Is that the case?

SO, from what I've read...my choices are: (and what are the differences, again?)

Big Kick
Side Kick
Cuttlebug
Sizzex
Sizzlets
what else am I missing?
It sounds like your friend has the old style Sizzix, which would not be at the top of my recommendation list. It's heavy and big, and doesn't easily adapt to all the new dies out there. If you already have one, then it's certainly the cheap way to go, but it's not as convenient or as easy to use as the Bug or the Big Shot/Kick. The Sidekick is an add-on to the Sizzix to make it work with the Cuttlebug embossing folders. Sizzlets are the small, thin dies from Sizzix. They are approximately the same size as the small Cuttlebug dies, but will only cut cardstock. All Cuttlebug dies will cut chipboard.

The Bug is the smallest, least expensive way to go. It embosses, die cuts with all available dies, and will operate with brass embossing stencils with the addition of a Tan embossing mat from Spellbinders. I don't use mine with brass stencils, because the main kind I own are SU, and they just aren't well suited to be embossed in their entirety, KWIM? Other brands (like Heidi Swapp, I believe) are designed to be embossed as a whole card front.

If you have more room/budget, you can go with the Big Shot/Kick. I didn't, because I love the small footprint of the Bug and it's portability. It's very easy for me to keep it on the shelf above my table and just pull it down when I want it. I didn't want to make a huge investment, as I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it. However, it's so easy and fun that I have more than gotten my money's worth out of it. But you should choose the machine that suits you best.

The other die cut system out there is the Wizard, which is made by the people who manufacture Nestabilities. It's more expensive still, and is a ratchet system, which people have given mixed reviews. (The Nestabilities will work in both the Bug and the Big Shot/Kick.)

Please feel free to ask any questions here. Many of us got our Bugs last Christmas and have enjoyed learning from each other over the last year! Everyone will have different perspectives, of course, but hopefully you'll get all the information you need.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #989
Stampin' Fool

I would go with the cuttlebug because the machine is lighter than the regular sizzix machine and the cuttlebug dies will need less storage space than the sizzix dies. I am switching systems because I am looking to maximize my crafting space.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #990
Stazon Splitcoast

I checked out Sizzix a couple of years ago and didn't buy it because of the price and the price of the dies. I just bought a Cuttlebug, some dies, and some embossing folders. I went with the Cuttelbug because it was reasonably priced. And by the way, I love it!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #991
Pearl-ExPert

Either machine is great! Have fun with it. It just opens a whole other avenue of creativity for you. Purchasing dies and embossing folders can be addictive, but a fun addiction.

Patti
Old 12-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #992
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, lots of info in this thread! Everyone is so helpfull. I can't wait to start playing around with mine. I will have to look into the tan mat from spellbinders.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #993
Pearl-ExPert

I forgot to ask....can you use the dies from the cuttlebugkids with the regular cuttlebug machine?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #994
Pearl-ExPert

Kushka4paws.......I believe you can use the "kids" dies in the full size Cuttlebug, but not the other way around.

Patti
Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #995
Polyshrink Goddess

Are there any Cuttlebug or Sizzix sites that show people's finished work? On SCS I happen to see them as I look at today's additions or a specific stamp set that incorporated the CB. How can you search for projects in the entire database that have Cuttlebug listed?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #996
Compulsive Stamper

If you go to Gallery from the main page, and on the right hand side just above the threads there is a "Search" button, click that and put in "cuttlebug." Sometimes people lwill even ist the specific embossing folder or die cut. Good luck, there are a million out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish1492 View Post
Are there any Cuttlebug or Sizzix sites that show people's finished work? On SCS I happen to see them as I look at today's additions or a specific stamp set that incorporated the CB. How can you search for projects in the entire database that have Cuttlebug listed?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #997
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I'm getting a CB for Christmas!!! So I want to subscribe to this thread to keep up with the news!

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #998
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb View Post
I'm getting a CB for Christmas!!! So I want to subscribe to this thread to keep up with the news!

You'll love it! I just got mine a few weeks ago ~ early Christmas present! Have fun!!
Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #999
Pearl-ExPert

I purchased some dies and embossing plates for my CB and haven't had time yet to get it out of the box! What have you guys found is the easiest way to store the templates?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #1000
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb View Post
DH got me one for Christmas! Hope you enjoy it Patty!

Thanks for all the helpful info on this thread!
My Little Stampin' Heaven - My blog
My Gallery