Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinkin
Thanks for the reply...was that using both B plates with the medium chip board and CB dies?
Yes. Your plate was just defective. At least you know it wasn't your fault!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #42
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to Barasto Send a message via Yahoo to Barasto

Got mine, today, too! Lovin' it so far. I tried to be sneaky and go buy a newspaper out of a stand to get another coupon and go back and buy the alphabet but dang it...there was no coupon!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do coupons only come to Sunday subscribers?

Also...note to self...when trying to use the Hobby Lobby coupon at JoAnn's later on, make sure you remember that HL coupons begin on Mondays...duh!!

www.mycraftstore.com
"I am NOT a compulsive buyer, I just have to have it!"
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #43
Cardstock Collector

Default LITTLEBIT

I JUST PURCHASED A CUTTLEBUG MACHINE AND HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. CAN THE DIE CUTTING BOARD BE TURNED AROUND TO USE THE OTHER END. DO THE DIES GO ON THE END OR IN THE MIDDLE AND IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE REAL HARD TO TURN THEM THRU THE MACHINE. I HAVE SEVERAL DIES AND WAS JUST WONDERING WHERE TO PLACE THEM IN THE MACHINE OR IF YOU CAN PUT THEM IN ANY POSITION. ALSO CAN YOU USE METAL EMBOSSING PLATES AND IF SO HOW DO YOU DO THAT.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

[quote=LITTLEBITNMCAN THE DIE CUTTING BOARD BE TURNED AROUND TO USE THE OTHER END. [/quote]

Yes, both B plates can be turned around, flipped, etc. In fact, you *should* do this to make your plates last longer.

[quote=LITTLEBITNMDO THE DIES GO ON THE END OR IN THE MIDDLE [/quote]

It doesn't matter. You can move them around.

[quote=LITTLEBITNMAND IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE REAL HARD TO TURN THEM THRU THE MACHINE. [/quote]

Yes, but it gets easier as you break in your Bug. If you think you are going to break it, then back out your plates and try again. Some bugs have come apart, so you do need to be careful.

[quote=LITTLEBITNMI HAVE SEVERAL DIES AND WAS JUST WONDERING WHERE TO PLACE THEM IN THE MACHINE OR IF YOU CAN PUT THEM IN ANY POSITION. [/quote]

Follow the directions on the plate about putting them an inch or so above the indicated line. Other than that, they can go in any position. Cuttlebug dies need to be face up (this is in the instruction book), while Sizzix dies go face down. This keeps the cutting plates and the Cuttlebug dies from warping as badly.

[quote=LITTLEBITNMALSO CAN YOU USE METAL EMBOSSING PLATES AND IF SO HOW DO YOU DO THAT.[/quote]

I have not heard about metal embossing plates, but you can use texture plates. See Cat's Sandwich Stack Rules (linked above in the first post) for different ways to do that.

Have fun with your bug!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #45
Insane Embellisher

Cuttlebug Help...

Hey all-
I have been using the faqs to help guide me when using other die cuts. Well, my cut and fold sizzix, when following directions, cuts too deep so that it cuts through the folds. Anyone have this problem or know how to alleviate it? I was thinking of using like 3 chipboard coasters...
Kelley
Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

There is something called a crease pad--I honestly don't know which company makes it, but I think it's Sizzix or Ellison. It is supposed to keep that from happening. You may want to post on the Tools forum to see who knows how to get one. Sorry not to be of more help!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

Default Thanks!

I went on ebay and found the crease pad-ellison makes one for the big shot and sizzix makes one.. got ellisons so we'll give it a try! I'll also pick up some chipboard coasters too.

Thanks!! I'll let ya'll know how it works!

Kelley
Old 02-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #48
Insane Embellisher

Default For those looking for alpha sets...

A seller on ebay, Oakposttrading has alpha sets for $35-$40 with free shipping on some!! BRAND NEW! I just got my alpha you're not the boss of me dies today... check under the buy it now listings for more info.

HTH some of you not wanting to spend $80!

Kelley
Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #49
Glitter Queen

First of all, I want to thank you for the heads up on the defective B plates. I called Provo Craft and they were very happy to replace them for me, in fact they came in the mail today. I tested them out on light chipboard and they didn't even make a sound! HOWEVER, after cutting several items with both Sizzix Originals and Cuttlebug dies, the handle stopped cranking. It would go so far one way and stop. Then it would go so far another way and stop. I asked my husband if he knew what could be wrong and his first thought was that a tooth broke off one of the gears. He took the side plate off, and sure enough a tooth had broken off the top gear and was wedge into one of the lower gears. I've only had the machine a week and I haven't used it that much and I certainly haven't abused it. The manual says that you can use materials up to 1/8th inch thick. The chipboard I was using was 1/16th at the most. I'm very disappointed to say the least. Also,the plastic handle at the end of the crank keeps falling off no matter how tightly I turn the srew. I will be calling Provo Craft first thing Monday and I sure hope thy will let me get a replacement. If not, I just may tell them to refund my money and I'll get a Big Shot instead. I hope that I just got a defective machine and the next one won't be so shoddy. Sorry to be a downer (I still love my Cricut!) but when you pay hard earned money for something, you don't want it to fall apart on you after one week! I just had to get that out. Thanks for listening!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #50
Stazon Splitcoast

How frustrating! I'm sorry you're having a bad experience. Hope you have good luck getting your defective Bug replaced.

Initially, I had the same problem with that little screw coming out. After about the 6th time I screwed it in (just a bit tighter than I had before), it stayed. I have no idea why.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #51
Kookie Creator

When cutting the alphabet dies....can you scrimp on the paper and just put it on what you want or do you have to cover the whole die. I am really cheap with my paper obviously..... but what if I have just a small piece of the paper I want to use.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

I cut little bitty pieces with my alpha dies all the time. Who wants to waste that much pretty cardstock! LOL
Old 02-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #53
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the heads up on the Bug. Mine is working fine so far. Do I understand that the B Plates need to be replaced just as the plates for the Sizzix need replacing after a while?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #54
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes. But they should last a few hundred cuts.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #55
Kookie Creator

Thanks....wouldn't want to waste valuable paper. LOL
Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #56
Goober-E LOST-E

Thanks so much to all of you - especailly you amysings!! - for this thread.

I got my bug a few weeks ago and until yesterday when AC Moore had 1/2 off on all items only had 1 embossing set and 1 die set.

Here is MY issue/question.
I want to use the embossing set - the Fanciful squares - as a dimensional area directly on my card - no other layering - but it leaves an impression of the whole little folder.

SO frustrating.
What does a girl do if she doesn't want a 2" square cut and THEN embossed?

I wonder how they're meant to be used? Like what about the new "Fancy Corners"? I can't see how you could use that in a corner to frame anything if you leave the whole folder impression.

ONE last thing!
HOW are people highlighting the embossed BG's w/o gettting it in the recessed areas?

THANKS!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie32
Here is MY issue/question.
I want to use the embossing set - the Fanciful squares - as a dimensional area directly on my card - no other layering - but it leaves an impression of the whole little folder.

HOW are people highlighting the embossed BG's w/o gettting it in the recessed areas?
It is frustrating. I haven't bought any more of those smaller folders for this reason. I have been able to use it better on a bottom corner. Sometimes you can turn the cardstock over, and use your bone folder to kinda rub out some of the edges. Another thing that has happened is that my Bug has kinda "stretched out" a bit since I got it. Those edge lines aren't as noticeable as they were at first. Also, a slightly thinner paper doesn't seem to pick up the lines as much.

Some people are using brayers (with a very light touch) to get that highlighting. I haven't been able to make it work well, so I gave up. I have chalked some backgrounds, and that worked well for me! You might get more answers to your questions on the Cuttlebugitis thread. We are very helpful and amusing (at least to ourselves!) over there.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #58
Stampin' Fool

Have you also noticed with the large folders for embossing leave lines that are sort of like a square in the impressions which really do not belong in the design. If so has there been a solution or do we just ignore them because of the beautiful embossing they do????
member #11852

Where the spirt of the lord is, there is freedom.
2nd Corinthinas 3:17
I believe in the dark what I was told in the light.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom43
Have you also noticed with the large folders for embossing leave lines that are sort of like a square in the impressions which really do not belong in the design. If so has there been a solution or do we just ignore them because of the beautiful embossing they do????
Yeah. Some folders it's more noticeable than others. Sometimes paper thickness affects it. . . .
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #60
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Amy. The images are so wonderful!
I think for the most part no one will really notice but because I examine everything I do to death......If you look at my living space I am no perfectionist (sp) but when it comes to my art I am so ****....whatever...
member #11852

Where the spirt of the lord is, there is freedom.
2nd Corinthinas 3:17
I believe in the dark what I was told in the light.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you very much Amy-I read this thread a week ago and decided to buy my embossing templates from www.scrappingreatdeals.com. I am in Canada, so that was great for me, her customer service is great she emailed twice, once to let me know she had received the order and then when it shipped out, and then I emailed her back to thank her and she replied to that asap. So thanks again!! I would do business with her again.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH LOSING THE SUCTION ON THEIR CUTTLEBUG SO IT MOVES WHILE YOUR CRANKING?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

My Bug will lose suction after a period of time--maybe a day or two. If it loses more quickly than that, it may be that your surface isn't smooth enough. Some people have used a sheet of plexiglass and found that they had much better suction that way. My table is an old formica top--so very smooth.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #64
Glitter Queen

Send a message via AIM to Shafey

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
I cut little bitty pieces with my alpha dies all the time. Who wants to waste that much pretty cardstock! LOL
After reading all of the cuttlebugitis pages
( Thank you Provcraft) and now these ( Thank you Amy) .

The one question I had was about the cuttlebug alphabet dies
(Cuttlebug is my 1st die cut machine so very new to all of this )
Since the die is one long strip with all of the letters, I thought I would have to cut out letters that I didn't need to use.
But reading this I see that I don't have to do that
So basically I just put paper/etc. under the letter I need, is it OK to run the die through with parts exposed without paper etc under it ?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

You can just put paper on the letter or die you want to cut, yes, but be sure to put the die *foam side up* when using cuttlebug dies. Otherwise your die will warp.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #66
Glitter Queen

Send a message via AIM to Shafey

Amy,

Just wanted to be sure, I didn't want to "hurt" the die by not having paper
there.
Now that will make it so much easier instead of ending up with all the letters.
I did crack a B plate running a Sizzix die but from what everyone wrote over at Provocraft I thought this might happen so I had already gotten an extra set ( just in case) and Provocraft is sending a replacement.
The bug is so much fun and easy for a first time die cutter
Thanks for all the great tips and the helpful info posted here and at Cuttlebugitis
Old 02-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #67
Cardstock Collector

I bought a Quickutz die to use in my Cuttlebug and it worked wonderfully! I really like some of the dies for the new Quickutz Revolution, but does anyone know if these dies will also work with the Cuttlebug?

Angie Albertson
Bloomington, IN
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not know. This would be a good question to ask over on the Cuttlebugitis thread. If there is anyone who knows, she's bound to be on that thread.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysings
My Bug will lose suction after a period of time--maybe a day or two. If it loses more quickly than that, it may be that your surface isn't smooth enough. Some people have used a sheet of plexiglass and found that they had much better suction that way. My table is an old formica top--so very smooth.
thanks, I will try the plexiglass and hopefully that'll help.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #70
Glitter Queen

Send a message via MSN to tattooeddiva

does anyone know any online Canadian retailers or stores that sell the big shot machine? I'm in Brampton Ontario

Thanks

Lexi
Old 02-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

This post lists some Canadian vendors. I'm not sure if they sell the Big Shot or not.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #72
Glitter Queen

Send a message via MSN to tattooeddiva

Thanks amy off to check it out

Lexi
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #73
Mad Swapper

I got my bug today at Joannes - they have them on sale for $49.99 and also have 40% off accessories so I got a bunch of embossing folders. Any suggestions on how to store these folders would be appreciated I'm sure there must be a better way than taking them in and out of the original packaging....
Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #74
Matboard Maniac

do CB dies work in a QK handle?
I love some of their dies but don't want to buy CB if I don't have to... I can use the folders with my rolling pin I already have
Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have any experience with the Quick Kutz. You might get more response by posting this question as a new thread in the Tools forum. Sorry not to be of more help!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #76
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks amy for the thread, I just found it, and of course ordered from on of the online stores you listed... Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #77
Mad Swapper

I got a CB as an early b-day present from some great SCS friends, and now I'm just looking around online for any resource on ideas for it. Thanks a lot for this thread! I'll keep coming back to check things out.

“If I didn't have spiritual faith, I would be a pessimist. I've read the last page in the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." - Billy Graham

Nazanin is free!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #78
Die Cut Diva

Concerning the storage of the cuttlebug embossing plates/folders, I saw on ebay that they have plastick sheets that they slide into and then they all fit into a binder. Hope this helps..
Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #79
Cardstock Collector

Default Cuttlebug compatability

Hi,
I am new. Does anyone know of you can use the sizzlets alphabets with the cuttlebug? I just got my cuttlebug today at 40% off and had purchased a set of sizzlets at a yard sale.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #80
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, Sizzlets, along with almost all other dies, will work in a Cuttlebug.