Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #641
Watercolor Wizard

kjpp/Karen:

Here is a link to a card I just did using both the flower die and the ribbon slider, so you can get the idea.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=95067

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #642
Polyshrink Goddess

i have many dies and many embossing folders....some i get at michaels or joanns with coupons and some from online sites.....alllthatscraps.com is a good source

it depends on what you are doing with paper...i mainly do cardmaking.....i must say the embossing dies are awesome.....i am waitlisted for the new ones, not that i need ONE more thing !

my DH also ignores most of what i buy, thank goodness.....but even he now realizes there is a lot of $$$ in my craft room......i do love the bug but i also have a sizzix and love that almost as much.

follow the directions and use the sandwich recipe.....it is awesome.....i use fiskars templates for embossing with my bug.....but i use my sizzix with the sizzix dies, that crunching sound when i used to use the sizzix dies with the bug was scary !!!......

one good thing about the bug, you can use the big kick sizzix dies.....no need for yet another die cutting machine....and they dont make that horrible sound.....maybe my bug has grown to accomodate them though

regardless, you will surely enjoy your new toy......happy playing !

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #643
Gallery Gazer

I am sure that the answer is in here somewhere but I do not have time to read and read and read. When there is someone who probably has the answer on the top of their head.

Does anyone know if the Sizzix sizzlits dies will work with the cuttlebug for kids?

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #644
Pearl-ExPert

OK, I finally did it. I purchased a Cuttlebug. Won a bid on e-bay for a reasonable price and don't have any buyers remorse so that is good. Now I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. One of the reasons why I wanted to get it was because I read somewhere that you could use it with the Fiskars Texture plates, which I have a lot of. They are nice in adding texture but using the texture tool is quite time consuming. I would like to know if anybody has used the texture plates with the Cuttlebug recently and is there anything special you have to do to get it to work and not harm your machine? Does it work well enough for you to get a deep impression. I don't think it would get as deep of an impression as the Cuttlebug embossing folders but I was hoping it would be good enough to pass as I start collecting the Cuttlebug folders as well.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #645
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy501 View Post
OK, I finally did it. I purchased a Cuttlebug. Won a bid on e-bay for a reasonable price and don't have any buyers remorse so that is good. Now I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. One of the reasons why I wanted to get it was because I read somewhere that you could use it with the Fiskars Texture plates, which I have a lot of. They are nice in adding texture but using the texture tool is quite time consuming. I would like to know if anybody has used the texture plates with the Cuttlebug recently and is there anything special you have to do to get it to work and not harm your machine? Does it work well enough for you to get a deep impression. I don't think it would get as deep of an impression as the Cuttlebug embossing folders but I was hoping it would be good enough to pass as I start collecting the Cuttlebug folders as well.
Cindy,
you made me curious and I had to try the Fiskar texture plates in my cuttlebug. Well, it did not work for me. If you put all the required plates in the bug it is too much for the bug to crab it. If you leave one out, there is too much room, and the bug can't put pressure on it. Do I make sense here? . If there is anybody that has any other info on it I would appreciate it too.

Thanks,
Sabrina
Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #646
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by okimom2girlz View Post
Cindy,
you made me curious and I had to try the Fiskar texture plates in my cuttlebug. Well, it did not work for me. If you put all the required plates in the bug it is too much for the bug to crab it. If you leave one out, there is too much room, and the bug can't put pressure on it. Do I make sense here? . If there is anybody that has any other info on it I would appreciate it too.

Thanks,
Sabrina
Sabrina,
Well that will be a bummer if it doesn't work since there are so many textures with those plates. Hopefully someone will be able to give us some suggestions. I'll have to do a search and see what I can come up with. I've just tried searching this thread before and it takes a long time and then comes up with nothing. I'll post a link here if I do find it.

Cindy
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #647
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Sabrina,
Well that will be a bummer if it doesn't work since there are so many textures with those plates. Hopefully someone will be able to give us some suggestions. I'll have to do a search and see what I can come up with. I've just tried searching this thread before and it takes a long time and then comes up with nothing. I'll post a link here if I do find it.

Cindy
Hi Cindy,

I guess it would have helped it I would have taken the time and read some of the posts in this thread!!!. Well, I think on page 2 or 3 they talk about using a foam kit. I've tried the fun foam tip and it does not work when you just use one or two sheets. I put in my A plate first added 2 pieces of fun foam the B plate, the Fiskar plate my cardstock and another piece of fun foam and I got a semi o.k. impression. I guess if I can find a little bit thicker foam it would work.
I will be giving it some more tries and let you know.

Sometimes it pays off to read a little more . Sorry, I wanted instant results and did not take the time.
This is a great thread.

Sabrina
Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #648
Polyshrink Goddess

i think every bug is different....I use the fiskars plates with1 A plate and 2 B plates and one 2mm fun foam sheet.....you have to play around and see what works for you. i wish the embossing folders covered 5x7 areas though ! maybe they will come up with that one of these days.

i read that if you spritz the cardstock with water the impressions are more pronounced.....maybe you can try that too

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 10-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #649
Pearl-ExPert

Sabrina,

I subscribed to the thread so I can get the latest info on the Cuttlebug too. I guess I was researching the same time you were and this time I was able to find some info. We have to get a plumber's gasket at Lowes or Home Depot.

I don't know if it is worth trying or not. Need some more feedback from other SCS members who have done it. I read a post that said they did not get a full impression with the Fiskars texture plates and the Cuttlebug.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #650
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy1 View Post
i think every bug is different....I use the fiskars plates with1 A plate and 2 B plates and one 2mm fun foam sheet.....you have to play around and see what works for you. i wish the embossing folders covered 5x7 areas though ! maybe they will come up with that one of these days.

i read that if you spritz the cardstock with water the impressions are more pronounced.....maybe you can try that too
Thanks for the tip with the water Pam. I've tried the Fiskar plate with the same plates and it would not take it. You are right about the area not being very large, but I think it is pretty cool anyhow to be able to use some of those Fiskar plates and not having them sitting in a drawer and collecting dust, right

Again, thanks for the tip
Sabrina
Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #651
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Sabrina,

I subscribed to the thread so I can get the latest info on the Cuttlebug too. I guess I was researching the same time you were and this time I was able to find some info. We have to get a plumber's gasket at Lowes or Home Depot.

I don't know if it is worth trying or not. Need some more feedback from other SCS members who have done it. I read a post that said they did not get a full impression with the Fiskars texture plates and the Cuttlebug.
Hi Cindy,
I have no clue what a plumber's gasket looks like and since we are in Japan and I can't really speak the language I can't even ask the people at the self help store here. I guess I'll have to see if I can find some foam that is a little thicker than fun foam.

Thanks Cindy and I hope you enjoy your Cuttlebug as much as I do. I really like the embossing folders and I bought a bunch of them for only $ 3.74 at Joann.com. They are back up at $ 4.99 right now, but I am sure they will go back down.

Sabrina
Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #652
Polyshrink Goddess

Default And ...

Instead of the "thin rubber sheet," some people have used fun foam or plumber's gasket purchased from Home Depot/Lowe's. You can also order a Wizard Charm Embossing kit and use the tan mat.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere, probably here, that the gasket had to be 1/16" thick ... which got me to thinkin' ... chipboard coasters are 1/16" thick. Sooooo, I used Plate 'A,' Fiskars texture plate, cardstock, two 1/16" chipboard coasters (placed end to end), and Plate 'C.'

Worked like a charm! And my Bug is less than 24 hours old so I'm guessing this will work for everyone. The Texture Plates impressions are very subdued, but lovely, and really 'pop' when sanded.

Also, someone in this thread was wondering where/if they could purchase Replacement Plate C ... and yes, they are available for sale! I found all plates, including the C, at crazyscraps dot com ... no affiliation, just noticed 'em and thought I'd share.

Hugs and thanks for all the great info SCS's!!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 AM   #653
Pearl-ExPert

Great information. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I am printing it to use when my Cuttlebug comes. Happy Stamping.

Last edited by cindy501; 10-10-2007 at 04:00 AM..
Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 AM   #654
Rubber Obsessor

FYI, this week M has ALL bug merchandise at 40% off! They have the replacement plates, dies, embossing folders, etc. I made a killing there on Sunday!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 AM   #655
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Sabrinasmom

Does anyone own the 3x3 'christmas' die? I am needing it (or something like it) to make a custom order of Christmas cards for a customer, but I can't seem to find any pictures in the gallery with this die.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #656
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Jenn,

I don't have the Christmas die, but you can see it here at allthatscraps.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #657
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Sabrinasmom

Sorry, I meant any pictures using the die. I can't seem to visualize what they look like 'in action.'
Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #658
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrinasmom View Post
Sorry, I meant any pictures using the die. I can't seem to visualize what they look like 'in action.'
Oh, sorry.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #659
Forum Fanatic

I have finally used the Olivia Alphabet Die Set. I love it! Here are a couple of things I made with it:

Cuttlebug Thank You Card:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...e=all&way=desc

Prayer Scripture Swap Page:

LM
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #660
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanerme View Post
I have finally used the Olivia Alphabet Die Set. I love it! Here are a couple of things I made with it:

Cuttlebug Thank You Card:

Prayer Scripture Swap Page:

LM

I love this alphabet! Cute cards! Just curious - I wonder why in this set there are 3 of some letters (a, e...) and only 2 of others??? I may have to get this one. Oh well, there goes the credit card again.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 AM   #661
Watercolor Wizard

Glad I found this thread! I want to get an alphabet set that is a bit taller,
for use on scrap book pages. The listings I see in online stores never tell
the size of the letters. Can someone tell me which ones are bigger? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #662
Stazon Splitcoast

Very cute cards!

Olivia is the first alphabet I bought, and the one I use the most. I love all the "extras" that come with it. It's such a fun alpha! It's just the design of it that it has extras of some letters. The idea of different sized letters within the same set has been a trend for awhile. (See, for example, the SU Big Deal alpha.)

As for taller alphas, I think Hippie Chick is the tallest. It's always been one of our complaints that Provo Craft doesn't tell the dimensions of the letters. If you do a search in the SCS gallery for different CB alphas, it should give you *some* idea of what the sizes are, just based on the card sizes.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #663
Kookie Creator

subscribing!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #664
Rubber Obsessor

subscribing
Old 10-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #665
Pearl-ExPert

Default I just bought an Alphabet die

I just bought an Alphabet Die set on eBay and it was only $ 25.00 plus shipping ($ 3.99 Flat rate within the U.S.). Every online store I've checked sells them $ 59.99 on sale plus shipping, so I think I got a good deal. I wanted the Olivia but that perticular dealer did not have that one, so I bought the Fancy pants. I was not fast enough for the You're not the boss of me, but I will check back with them and get some more. Can't beat the price for a new set. Thought you ladies like to know where you can save some money. And we are all about that right?
When you go on Ebay search for oakhilltradingpost they sell all kinds of stuff but if you put in Provo Craft it comes up with all kinds of dies.

Have a great weekend
Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #666
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via MSN to ReneeRL Send a message via Yahoo to ReneeRL

How are you subscribing?

Last edited by ReneeRL; 10-12-2007 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: entered too soon
Old 10-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #667
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via MSN to ReneeRL Send a message via Yahoo to ReneeRL
Smile

oh I think I figured it out.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 AM   #668
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmom View Post
Glad I found this thread! I want to get an alphabet set that is a bit taller,
for use on scrap book pages. The listings I see in online stores never tell
the size of the letters. Can someone tell me which ones are bigger? Thanks.
I found a dealer on eBay that tells the size. I don't know how accurate they are but this is what they have
Fancy Pants 1x1 1/2
Curls & Swirls 5/8 x 1 1/2
Red Tag 5/8 x 1 1/2
Olivia 5/8 x 1 1/2
Hippie Chick 5/8 x 1 1/2

Hope this helps
Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #669
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to Ozcat
Smile Cuttlebug stuff in South Australia

I got a Cuttlebug machine and a couple of embossing folders and a die for Mother's Day. Unfortunately, these seem to be a bit more expensive over here. Any other Aussies on the site who know where to get these a bit cheaper? Thanks.

I'm a Kota's Kid and Fan Club member.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #670
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozcat View Post
I got a Cuttlebug machine and a couple of embossing folders and a die for Mother's Day. Unfortunately, these seem to be a bit more expensive over here. Any other Aussies on the site who know where to get these a bit cheaper? Thanks.
Catherine,
have you checked eBay? I am sure that there are some Aussie dealers on there as well that sell Cuttlebug dies and folders. You can always ask for the shipping rate before you buy. Hope you'll find some dies and folders that are not too expensive (what is the difference anyway. if I may ask?) I get them from Joann.com when they are on sale for $ 3.74 so I buy 3 of them at a time that brings me over the $ 10.00 minimum I have to order to receive FREE shipping .

Best of luck to you to find some on sale too!!!

Last edited by okimom2girlz; 10-13-2007 at 10:14 PM..
Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #671
Stazon Splitcoast

lezzels is in Australia. I bet she knows, if anyone does! I think she had hers shipped from the US when the Bug first came out.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #672
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by okimom2girlz View Post
I just bought an Alphabet Die set on eBay and it was only $ 25.00 plus shipping ($ 3.99 Flat rate within the U.S.). Every online store I've checked sells them $ 59.99 on sale plus shipping, so I think I got a good deal. I wanted the Olivia but that perticular dealer did not have that one, so I bought the Fancy pants. I was not fast enough for the You're not the boss of me, but I will check back with them and get some more. Can't beat the price for a new set. Thought you ladies like to know where you can save some money. And we are all about that right?
When you go on Ebay search for oakhilltradingpost they sell all kinds of stuff but if you put in Provo Craft it comes up with all kinds of dies.

Have a great weekend
Great deal! I really want Olivia. Does anyone know what Michaels' or AC Moore sells it for (regular price?). Before I take a trip over there with my coupon, I want to see if I can do better. TIA!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #673
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskelly2u View Post
Great deal! I really want Olivia. Does anyone know what Michaels' or AC Moore sells it for (regular price?). Before I take a trip over there with my coupon, I want to see if I can do better. TIA!
I know Mike's sells it for 79.99 original price. I think AC Moore is close to that as well, maybe a few dollars cheaper, but about the same.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #674
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks. Sounds like ebay might be the cheapest.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #675
Watercolor Wizard

I got my bug, and most of my folders on Ebay!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #676
Pearl-ExPert

Quick question. My cuttlebug just came today and it come with one cutting die. It left the impression of the shape on my plate B. Did I do something wrong? I read and re-read the directions and it didn't say anything about something that protects the plate.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #677
Stazon Splitcoast

You didn't do anything wrong, it is normal for the cutting dies to cut into the plate. I make sure that I always use the same plate for cutting, then I still have one nice one for embossing. This always happened with my Sizzix as well, so it is normal for die cutters.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #678
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to Kjpp

I saw here that it is normal for it to cut into your plate, before I bought my Cuttlebug. Thank goodness I read it here first, or I would have been a nervous nelly that I had done something wrong!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #679
Die Cut Diva

I've bought all my dies and both alphabets on EBAY. Best prices I've found to date. (I accidentally even bought an extra Fancy Pants. oops!) Don't worry about not getting the ones you want immediately. They keep coming up for sale. Just keep in mind the price that you'll like to pay and stick to your guns. You'll get it.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #680
Forum Fanatic

Default FYI - Cuttlebug/Nestabilities/Memory Makers Tag maker

This weekend I needed to make about 12 tags with my new Memory Makers tag press. I thought instead of cutting out all the circles with the tempate provided with the tag rims, I'd use my new Nestabilities circles.

I found one of the NB templates that appeared to be the right size for the large round tag. The bug and circle cut thru the vellum just as expected and it appeared to fit just fine. However, when I pressed the tag rim closed only about 1/2 the circle caught. It's a bit too small.

Too bad it didn't work....

But I'd be interested if anybody else has tried with the smaller rounds or squares???