Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut vs Silhouette Cameo

I have a cricut however I've been getting articles that the SCAL is no longer compatible with the Cricut expression. I'm in the process of starting a vinyl business and I need to know 2 things:

Which is the better product - the cricut or cameo?

Where can I get a compatible SCAL software

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

If you want to use SCAL and your choices are between Cricut and Cameo, the answer is Cameo since 3rd party software is no longer supporting the Cricut since Provo Craft sued them all. You can use SCAL with Cameo or the software that comes with it which also has an upgrade (Silhouete Studio Designer Edition).

Unfortunately it's not possible to get a legal copy of SCAL 2 which was the only version that worked with Cricut.

I have a Cameo and I love it for cutting vinyl, but I think others would recommend different machines if you are going to do a lot of cutting as you are starting a business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am really big into die cutting. I agree with the other girls if you are serious about getting into the vinyl business look into an industrial machine. You can buy an industrial Silhouette type machine through the Graphtec line. There are a lot of good Graphtec dealers online. If you are wanting something a bit more heavy duty look into a Roland machine. The Cricut is technically a Roland machine but was designed for the at home artist/crafter while Roland is more designed for business use.

The main thing you will want with a business vinyl machine is a good software package. This will be bundled with your machine. You will also probably want a machine with Illustrator support if you are using the Adobe lines.

This forum is pretty good at knowing their plotters/cutters for the vinyl business: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/vinyl-c...ers-transfers/. It will help you find a starting point.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

cameo cuts way better--- underacherrytree has a blog that shows a great comparison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will look into all the information and links provided.
Reply With Quote Likes