Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricut vs. Big Shot NEED YOUR HELP

hi there!

ok here's the deal. i already have a cricut expressions (big bug) and a few carts. i'm still in the process of learning how to use it as i am still sort of new to the world of stamping/scrapin/crafing (my gallery is sorely neglected! :p )

now, i am seriously thinking of ordering the big shot too, mainly because i just love the little boxes and toppers you can make with it. but there's also a cricut cart (tags, bags, boxes and more) that offers the shapes that i am particularly interested in (pillow box, match box, general box, basic bag, basket, and another one i can't think of right now). also, if i'm assuming correctly, like the other cart shapes, i'll be able to make the boxes larger and smaller, where as i don't think i'll be able to do that with the big shot.

so what should i do?

thanks for your help everyone!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have the cricut expression and just bought the bigshot. I have a lot of dies, quickutz etc that I want to use in it. I want to get rid of all my other tools and only have one. If you like the dies from other companies, it does make sense to have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Don't know much about the BigShot but I would suggest looking for videos to allow you to explore the variety of options with each...I have found that the cricut can do so many things I was unaware of till I saw a tutorial...YouTube has many and many people here with blogs have some great tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

hi, thanks for responding!

i'm not sure what you mean regarding dies from other companies. the big shot can use dies from other companies? i'm really only mainly interested in boxes and bags as well as whatever is used to do the embossiing. also, i don't know the lingo.

just want to know if it makes sense to get the big shot too (along with the expression).

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
Don't know much about the BigShot but I would suggest looking for videos to allow you to explore the variety of options with each...I have found that the cricut can do so many things I was unaware of till I saw a tutorial...YouTube has many and many people here with blogs have some great tutorials.
your right, the cricut does so much!! i have the expressions which is the 'big bug' and it's not joke :p !! it amazes me. that's why i'm trying to find out if it makes sense to have both.

i'm thinking that the big shot doesn't let you increase the sizes of the images, where as i'm 99% certain that the cricut will. that's the main determining factor for me.

thanks ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I love my big shot, but would swap it for the Cricut.

I have so many dies that i never use. just had to have it.
sometimes the dies don't cut and you waste paper, and also you have to keep to the size of the die, where as you can go as big as the paper will allow.

I have seen a program you can buy for the cricut that allows you to even design your own cutting shapes. It's far cheaper to ask someone to cut you a few of the bigshot shapes or buy a couple from someone that to just spend out on the bigshot.

I do cut thicker card, but not that often, i know I can cut foam and wood with my bigshot I just never do, but the space it all takes up and the weight of it all is just getting to be a bit too much.

So stick with what you have and learn to use it, and stop coverting they neighbours bigshot...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharron246View Post
I love my big shot, but would swap it for the Cricut.

So stick with what you have and learn to use it, and stop coverting they neighbours bigshot...
LOL!!!! funny, because yes, you got me! i am soooo coveting!!

ok sharon, i hear you loud and clear. i will go spend the $69 and get the cartridge that will let me do all that the big shot does, and much more. my pocket book and i thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

The Cricut is amazing, and I've just touched the tip of the iceberg with the things it will do!

One cartridge can do so many different things. Do an online search and see if you can get that cart cheaper. There's some links on the Cricut FAQ site with deeply discounted cartridges.

Can't see what you create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Location: In Alabama reading about stamping instead of stamping!

Go to Hallmarkscrapbook.com and check out the pricing on the cartridges for the Cricut. I think they have the best pricing around.
I received my Cricut Expression for Christmas and wore the mat out the first weekend I used it. I was able to spread a thin coat of Aleene's "Tack It Over" glue and it works better than new. I think this machine is one of the best inventions ever for crafters.
I use mine all the time to make cute "shaped" mats for my stamped cards. I've made lots of little bags and boxes also. There's no end to the neat things you can make.
I just bought the Design software but haven't mastered it yet. I will when I have the time.
Good luck with your Cricut. You'll just love it!

take care,
Debbie

Please visit my blog at www.bzstampr.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes