Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #321
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the tip

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #322
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGalz View Post
PS Found this on another thread here on SCS and thought y'all would like to see it in case you hadn't yet, its regarding Michaels Sale Thanksgiving and day after
Anyone know if that sale includes the Design Solution cartridge?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #323
Mad Swapper

Send a message via AIM to ScrappinGalz Send a message via Yahoo to ScrappinGalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansuesha View Post
Anyone know if that sale includes the Design Solution cartridge?
From what I have read around town its ALL cricut carts on sale for 29. I gues that would include the Design solution if they have it in the store. I know that my Mikes has the WORST selection of Cricut carts. I only want two of them but chances of my finding them are really bad. But I keep crossing my fingers!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #324
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGalz View Post
From what I have read around town its ALL cricut carts on sale for 29. I gues that would include the Design solution if they have it in the store. I know that my Mikes has the WORST selection of Cricut carts. I only want two of them but chances of my finding them are really bad. But I keep crossing my fingers!
I saw a picture of the ad and it says 28 styles of cartridges but doesn't list the styles.
http://just-a-scrappin.blogspot.com/...reenshots.html

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #325
Glitter Queen

Default Cricut Deep Cut Blade

I have a new Expression and also bought the deep cut blade to cut craft foam (the kid's stuff), chipboard, etc. Even on the highest settings it will not cut through thin chipboard or craft foam. Has anyone purchased this and had success using it? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #326
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got an expressions! So excited. Of course DH immediately started researching "How to hack it".

Might not get to play with it til after Christmas though.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #327
Kookie Creator

Default Another question

I just saw online an ad from Brandi Gore for a CD (or DVD, not sure) called "Learning the Cricut DS" which purports to give all the answers to how to make the Design Studio work for you quickly so you don't end up wasting time and supplies. The cost for this helpful guide is $37. Has anyone tried this?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #328
Kookie Creator

Default Answer my own question....duh!

Because I wanted to purchase the Design Studio Cartridge, I looked again at the ad for Cricut Design Studio help. It is an "ebook" with over an hour of "tutorial videos." It is not a DVD or CD.

After looking at that ad I went to the Cricut message boards about the Design Studio Cartridge and have decided NOT to purchase DS cartridge at all. SO many people are having SO MANY problems with it ~ not worth the hassle in my opinion. Is there anyone using Design Studio happily?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #329
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
I have DS and I don't have problems with it at all. I'm not a great computer operator or anything like that. My computer is old and slow and still it works. All you really need to do is just sit down and play.
First I started with the free copy that only worked George and Keystone, the cartridges that came with my machine. You can only cut what comes with your machine, but you can play with all the cartridge shapes. I'd stretch, squish, spread, shrink and slant away. I pushed buttons until I found out what they did. I got frustrated, but I kept trying. Eventually I figured out how to weld, and save my files. I even figured out how to download and save other files, and actually cut with them.
I still know so little about the DS that it's embarrassing, but I can tell you this, I no longer wish to upgrade my OBug for the EBug. I can do all I want by manipulating images before cutting.
I don't have any interest in the SCAL at this time, but maybe I will down the road.
Just take the free one for a test drive.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #330
Glitter Queen

Default New cricut owner with question

Hi everyone

I have been lurking for quite a while, trying to get answers to questions that I have being anew cricut expression owner.

Is it possible to duplicate or make similar cuts using the SYI cartridge for "mats" or frames with scalloped borders, like those with either the spellbinders or nestabilities dies? If not SYI is there something in accents essentials? I do not have the DStudio software, do I need that?

Any help is appreciated!

Lynn (LLB Bear)

I
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #331
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB Bear View Post
Hi everyone

I have been lurking for quite a while, trying to get answers to questions that I have being anew cricut expression owner.

Is it possible to duplicate or make similar cuts using the SYI cartridge for "mats" or frames with scalloped borders, like those with either the spellbinders or nestabilities dies? If not SYI is there something in accents essentials? I do not have the DStudio software, do I need that?

Any help is appreciated!

Lynn (LLB Bear)

I

Do you have the regular Cricut or the Expression? The Ebug will let you 'fill' the page with whatever shape you want. The little bug will not.

Whether you use it for this or for other things, you DEFINITELY need the Design Studio. It's a wonderful, fantastic, creative tool that every Cricut owner really needs. It opens up amazing options with your bugs.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #332
Die Cut Diva

To the poster who asked about Design Studio: I have it and use it with the original Cricut, and I really like it. You don't need to pay $37 for an e-book. I must be one of the only people who bought DS who found that the manual it came with was fine. DS doesn't do everything, and PC should make some updates, but it is definitely worth the money I paid for it ($59 at the time).

To the poster who asked about the Deep Cut Blade & Housing: I've heard only bad things about this. No one has reported any success in using it to cut chipboard or other heavy materials. I can cut chipboard with my regular blade, if I repeat the cut 4 or 5 times and use thin chipboard. I usually do that and glue several layers together. (Or I just use my Big Kick.)

HTH, ladies.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #333
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2 View Post
Hi!
I have DS and I don't have problems with it at all. I'm not a great computer operator or anything like that. My computer is old and slow and still it works. All you really need to do is just sit down and play.
First I started with the free copy that only worked George and Keystone, the cartridges that came with my machine. You can only cut what comes with your machine, but you can play with all the cartridge shapes. I'd stretch, squish, spread, shrink and slant away. I pushed buttons until I found out what they did. I got frustrated, but I kept trying. Eventually I figured out how to weld, and save my files. I even figured out how to download and save other files, and actually cut with them.
I still know so little about the DS that it's embarrassing, but I can tell you this, I no longer wish to upgrade my OBug for the EBug. I can do all I want by manipulating images before cutting.
I don't have any interest in the SCAL at this time, but maybe I will down the road.
Just take the free one for a test drive.
Thank you so much for your response about Design Studio; I may consider it after all. TFS.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #334
Kookie Creator

Does anyone know if there is a cartridge with a pillow box? Tags, bags boxes and more do not. ...
the pillow box die from SU/Sizzix may not be the right size for me; I'd like to have options. TIA, gail
Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #335
Mad Swapper

Send a message via AIM to ScrappinGalz Send a message via Yahoo to ScrappinGalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwoo View Post
Does anyone know if there is a cartridge with a pillow box? Tags, bags boxes and more do not. ...
the pillow box die from SU/Sizzix may not be the right size for me; I'd like to have options. TIA, gail
If you have design studio, here is a link for a blog I like. She has a cut file for a pillow box that you can download

http://www.paperscissorsinc.com/2008...nd-george.html
Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #336
Hardware Hotshot

You can also go to cricut.com and download a free trial of the design studio. Of course, you can't actually cut with it, but there is a tutorial, then you can play on your computer with it.

Now my question: A friend created a scallop square with the Plantin Schoolbook cart that came with her expression. I now have the cart, also, but own the small cricut. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the scallop border on the square. Does anyone know, or do you have to use the expression for that technique? I have the software ordered so know I can do it then, but I don't want to wait! Thanks!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #337
Forum Fanatic

You can cut with the trial of Design Studio but only with the cartridge(s) that came with the machine.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #338
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedoncrafts View Post
You can also go to cricut.com and download a free trial of the design studio. Of course, you can't actually cut with it, but there is a tutorial, then you can play on your computer with it.

Now my question: A friend created a scallop square with the Plantin Schoolbook cart that came with her expression. I now have the cart, also, but own the small cricut. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the scallop border on the square. Does anyone know, or do you have to use the expression for that technique? I have the software ordered so know I can do it then, but I don't want to wait! Thanks!!!

She probably made it in the Design Studio. If she did, she just put small circles around the edges of the square and welded them together to make the scallop shape.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #339
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Walmart has the Expression for $199 today and tomorrow. HTH!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #340
Kookie Creator

subscribing
Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #341
Matboard Maniac

Default sorry, posting this everwhere, so if you have

read it, sorry! just need a general consensus lol!
I POSTED this on another board, so sorry about the copy and paste, just
want as many to weigh in as possible so I can hopefully convince the dh!
here goes~ I wanta hear it, the good the bad, the ugly!
thanx,
tracyg

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:30 am Post subject: talk to me about design studio, & scal PLEASE has anyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had computer trouble after downloading the trial version of the ds software? please weigh in here, because I really want scal, and my understanding is that you need at least the trial version of ds to make it work, right? well, my computer crased within days of downloading it last year. my dh is soooooo freaking paranoid and convinced that it was because of the download...even though our puter fixin' peeps said it most likely wasn't......
so, did anyone else have a prob???? did your puter burn up and die???? crash and burn?????anyone??????
ok, that said, how does scal actually work? i am not puter savvy so, my understanding is you buy the download, then you what? how do you get it onto your cricut? and then once you've done that, do you have to connect up your cricut and computer every time you want to use it??
how exactly does it work????
much thanks for the info.
tracyg
Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #342
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't own a Cricut and haven't browsed this thread, but just stumbled across this info on another message board which I thought was worth sharing in the event that you don't already know it. Seems like a great deal.

I just wanted to let everyone who bought a Cricut Expression yesterday know that you can go to Cricut.com and get 2 free cartridges (Printing 101 and My Community). You pay $7.95 for s&h and you have to send in your receipt that shows that you bought the Expression between 10/15 and 12/15 of this year. I got the heads up from another forum and wanted to pay it forward. Have fun!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #343
Kookie Creator

Hi- I just got a Cricut create. I have 2 questions

Are there any font cartridges that match the Stampin up Simon upper/Lowercase chip board font?

Are there any cartridges that can cut and image of jungle type braches. I want to cut out some Jungle braches to use to have a monkey stamped pretending that he is swinging from vine o vine?

Thanks
Heidi
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #344
Matboard Maniac

Heidi,
I'm pretty sure Zooballoo has the branches. If you go to cricut.com, click on the tab that says information, then select Cartridge Library, you can see what is inside all of the cartridges.
Here is a card made with the same idea as yours but using zooballoo.
http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=2971456
Dina
Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #345
Cardstock Collector

I just found the Expression at Wal-Mart for $150 last night and it comes with two cartridges. I bought two one for my mother-in-law and one for me. I really want to be able to cut through chipboard or whatever I want, so I am not sure if this is right for me or if I should get the Big Shot.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #346
lmg
Embossing Fanatic

OMG i was at Walmart yesteday and the cricut expression with 2 cart. was 289 plus tax Where do u live
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #347
Gabfest Goddess

I've had my expression for a couple of weeks (love it) and have cut a few pages of DP. all was well but now it doesn't cut through cardstock. It just makes fuzzy scratches on the top of the paper and they don't go through the paper.

I tested with increased pressure and changed the setting on the blade (was at 4, tried 5 & 6) and it won't cut through the cardstock. I can't believe that the blade would be dull after a few sheets of paper. What else should I consider? thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #348
Insane Embellisher

Does anyone else have the problem of the machine shutting off before you hit cut?

I put in my letters I want to cut, load the mat and when I go to hit cut....all the letters in the view thing are gone and hitting cut, nothing happens....its like I never put the letters in in the first place
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #349
Rubber Obsessor

stamphappy

Found this on cricut.com

What to do if Your Machine is Producing Rough Cuts
If your Cricut is producing rough cuts when using the appropriate setting for your paper, you may have an insufficiently sharpened blade. Please call our wonderful customer support team 1-877-727-4288 M-F 7am-6pm MST. They can help you determine whether this is a dull blade issue or another issue. Even though your blades may be new, you may have purchased some occasional insufficiently sharpened blades which can be replaced with some blades which our team has lovingly tested and approved.

Last edited by RDeaton; 12-17-2008 at 03:51 AM..
Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #350
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg View Post
OMG i was at Walmart yesteday and the cricut expression with 2 cart. was 289 plus tax Where do u live
I live in Kansas City. I know I was shocked. I bought two more to sell on ebay. I was not necessarily planning on getting one, but when I saw them for that price I jumped on it. If anyone is interested here is the link to my auction, I will end the auction early as soon as some one bids. So, it will be kind of like "buy it now", I just didn't want to pay extra for the "buy it now" option on ebay. They are still cheaper than any store that I have seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123
Old 12-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #351
Cardstock Collector

I just bought the Cricut Expression at JoAnn's for $269.99 + tax (8%) = $291+. I haven't opened it yet - was that a good deal?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #352
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbngrandma View Post
I just bought the Cricut Expression at JoAnn's for $269.99 + tax (8%) = $291+. I haven't opened it yet - was that a good deal?
You did well - much less than what my CE cost earlier this year.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #353
Inking Addict

subscribing
Old 12-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #354
Embossing Fanatic

Default My Very own Expression!

My family got me the Expression for my Birthday and Christmas gift! (yes, I am one of those people who was born on the most wonderful day of the Year!) They normally give me a birthday gift a few days in advance so I don't feel "cheated on birthday" but this year was different and I thought something funny was up (espically when my oldest asked me if I would ever consider selling my extensive collection of paper punches?)....well, after seeing what they got me I totally freaked right out.........I got the coolest cartridges......one you cannot buy in the stores..........and LOTS of accessories.............I guess there was a problem with the shipping from the place where they got it from and my daughter got on the phone and was able to get free express shipping and tons of goodies and got $$ of the advertised price...............so any way

I set it up last night........I had already read the manual and start guide and all the cartridge info...........I was scared at first but soon I was cutting away..........

It is alittle hard to understand how some of the special feature buttons work and to be able to use different command buttons at the same time but it seems user friendly............

I do have one question...............I purchased the Jasmine cartridge at Joanns.......and on the front it states use with the personal cutter and on the back the font sizes only go to 5.5 inches....does this mean that I cannot use it on the expression....and if I can......can I get bigger font sizes other than 5.5?

Hopefully I won't be dissappointed in this wonderful gift from my family......They worked so hard to get it for me and how they managed to keep it secret for 2 months is also amazing (my girls have a hard time keeping gift secrets from me, they get so excited)

craftydee
Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #355
Pearl-ExPert

craftydee......You can use any of the cartridges in either the original Cricut or Expression. Some of the cartridges came out well before the Expression hit the market, so the boxes don't reflect the larger sizes you can cut. But yes you can cut up to 23.5 inches with the Expression and any of the cartridges.

Check out your local craft store to see if they offer a class or two in the Cricut or Expression. I teach at 2 of my local AC Moore stores on the machines. Also I would strongly suggest going to the Cricut website and watching the videos on both the original Cricut and the Expression. They are well worth the time spent watching them. They also have a message board that may be helpful to you.

Patti
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #356
Cardstock Collector

To remove the paper fibers from your mat just use a lint roller after every use. Very simple.

I bet I can beat all of your deals! I got my cricut for 100$ at JoAnns on Black Friday!

Beat That!

Just kidding..

To anyone wondering wether or not a Cricut would be a good investment (even for a card maker):
The answer is YESSSSSSS! I make all of my own cards and I use it ALL the time! And if you purchase the cricut inks you can replace your blade with the marker and draw anything that you would normally cut! Amazing I know!

Hope this helps!!

-Carly-
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #357
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
craftydee......You can use any of the cartridges in either the original Cricut or Expression. Some of the cartridges came out well before the Expression hit the market, so the boxes don't reflect the larger sizes you can cut. But yes you can cut up to 23.5 inches with the Expression and any of the cartridges.

Check out your local craft store to see if they offer a class or two in the Cricut or Expression. I teach at 2 of my local AC Moore stores on the machines. Also I would strongly suggest going to the Cricut website and watching the videos on both the original Cricut and the Expression. They are well worth the time spent watching them. They also have a message board that may be helpful to you.

Patti

I took the suggestion and went on the website and watched the tutorials....they really did help but I still had some issues with the "mix and Match " button but finally figured out it was because of "fat finger syndrom"

and also it seemed like it "locked up my machine"....I didn't think a new machine could get confused so early and lock up....that did not impress me..... I had to power down a few times and restart a few times.....

am I doing something wrong?.......
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #358
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydee View Post
I took the suggestion and went on the website and watched the tutorials....they really did help but I still had some issues with the "mix and Match " button but finally figured out it was because of "fat finger syndrom"

and also it seemed like it "locked up my machine"....I didn't think a new machine could get confused so early and lock up....that did not impress me..... I had to power down a few times and restart a few times.....

am I doing something wrong?.......

thats what happens to me too and no one answered my question......mine kind of freezes up and what ever I had typed in...dissappears and I have to power down and restart
Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #359
Matboard Maniac

Subscribing, as my hubby surprised me with the Cricut Expression for christmas. Yay! I've been wanting it for over a year. Michael's supposedly has the cartridges on sale this week for $29.99, so I'm going to pop over there and see if they have any I want.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #360
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydee View Post
My family got me the Expression for my Birthday and Christmas gift! (yes, I am one of those people who was born on the most wonderful day of the Year!) They normally give me a birthday gift a few days in advance so I don't feel "cheated on birthday" but this year was different and I thought something funny was up (espically when my oldest asked me if I would ever consider selling my extensive collection of paper punches?)....well, after seeing what they got me I totally freaked right out.........I got the coolest cartridges......one you cannot buy in the stores..........and LOTS of accessories.............I guess there was a problem with the shipping from the place where they got it from and my daughter got on the phone and was able to get free express shipping and tons of goodies and got $$ of the advertised price...............so any way

I set it up last night........I had already read the manual and start guide and all the cartridge info...........I was scared at first but soon I was cutting away..........

It is alittle hard to understand how some of the special feature buttons work and to be able to use different command buttons at the same time but it seems user friendly............

I do have one question...............I purchased the Jasmine cartridge at Joanns.......and on the front it states use with the personal cutter and on the back the font sizes only go to 5.5 inches....does this mean that I cannot use it on the expression....and if I can......can I get bigger font sizes other than 5.5?

Hopefully I won't be dissappointed in this wonderful gift from my family......They worked so hard to get it for me and how they managed to keep it secret for 2 months is also amazing (my girls have a hard time keeping gift secrets from me, they get so excited)

craftydee

You can use ANY of the carts on either machine. The size is limited by your machine - not by the cart itself. I hope that helps.

You won't be disappointed. Just have a great time and enjoy it.