In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #321
Polyshrink Goddess
 
bgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 788
Default

Thanks for the tip
__________________

bgrant is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #322
Kookie Creator
 
Sansuesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGalz View Post
PS Found this on another thread here on SCS and thought y'all would like to see it in case you hadn't yet, its regarding Michaels Sale Thanksgiving and day after
Anyone know if that sale includes the Design Solution cartridge?
__________________
Sandy
Sansuesha is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #323
Mad Swapper
 
ScrappinGalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to ScrappinGalz Send a message via Yahoo to ScrappinGalz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansuesha View Post
Anyone know if that sale includes the Design Solution cartridge?
From what I have read around town its ALL cricut carts on sale for 29. I gues that would include the Design solution if they have it in the store. I know that my Mikes has the WORST selection of Cricut carts. I only want two of them but chances of my finding them are really bad. But I keep crossing my fingers!
__________________
Tina aka Scrappingalz
ScrappinGalz is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #324
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGalz View Post
From what I have read around town its ALL cricut carts on sale for 29. I gues that would include the Design solution if they have it in the store. I know that my Mikes has the WORST selection of Cricut carts. I only want two of them but chances of my finding them are really bad. But I keep crossing my fingers!
I saw a picture of the ad and it says 28 styles of cartridges but doesn't list the styles.
http://just-a-scrappin.blogspot.com/...reenshots.html
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #325
Glitter Queen
 
LPCrafting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Rolling Hills of the Blue Ridge in Virginia
Posts: 26
Default Cricut Deep Cut Blade

I have a new Expression and also bought the deep cut blade to cut craft foam (the kid's stuff), chipboard, etc. Even on the highest settings it will not cut through thin chipboard or craft foam. Has anyone purchased this and had success using it? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
__________________
Laura
http://starbreezedesigns.blogspot.com
Create something that makes you happy every day!
LPCrafting is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #326
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Tamschro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Posts: 29,435
Default

I just got an expressions! So excited. Of course DH immediately started researching "How to hack it".

Might not get to play with it til after Christmas though.
Tamschro is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #327
Kookie Creator
 
Sansuesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 544
Default Another question

I just saw online an ad from Brandi Gore for a CD (or DVD, not sure) called "Learning the Cricut DS" which purports to give all the answers to how to make the Design Studio work for you quickly so you don't end up wasting time and supplies. The cost for this helpful guide is $37. Has anyone tried this?
__________________
Sandy
Sansuesha is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM   #328
Kookie Creator
 
Sansuesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 544
Default Answer my own question....duh!

Because I wanted to purchase the Design Studio Cartridge, I looked again at the ad for Cricut Design Studio help. It is an "ebook" with over an hour of "tutorial videos." It is not a DVD or CD.

After looking at that ad I went to the Cricut message boards about the Design Studio Cartridge and have decided NOT to purchase DS cartridge at all. SO many people are having SO MANY problems with it ~ not worth the hassle in my opinion. Is there anyone using Design Studio happily?
__________________
Sandy
Sansuesha is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #329
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 723
Default

Hi!
I have DS and I don't have problems with it at all. I'm not a great computer operator or anything like that. My computer is old and slow and still it works. All you really need to do is just sit down and play.
First I started with the free copy that only worked George and Keystone, the cartridges that came with my machine. You can only cut what comes with your machine, but you can play with all the cartridge shapes. I'd stretch, squish, spread, shrink and slant away. I pushed buttons until I found out what they did. I got frustrated, but I kept trying. Eventually I figured out how to weld, and save my files. I even figured out how to download and save other files, and actually cut with them.
I still know so little about the DS that it's embarrassing, but I can tell you this, I no longer wish to upgrade my OBug for the EBug. I can do all I want by manipulating images before cutting.
I don't have any interest in the SCAL at this time, but maybe I will down the road.
Just take the free one for a test drive.
__________________
Happy Stamping, Cynthia
I only stamp on days that end with "Y"
http://ladybugstamperscraftsite.blogspot.com/
ladybugstamper2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #330
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11
Default New cricut owner with question

Hi everyone

I have been lurking for quite a while, trying to get answers to questions that I have being anew cricut expression owner.

Is it possible to duplicate or make similar cuts using the SYI cartridge for "mats" or frames with scalloped borders, like those with either the spellbinders or nestabilities dies? If not SYI is there something in accents essentials? I do not have the DStudio software, do I need that?

Any help is appreciated!

Lynn (LLB Bear)

I
LLB Bear is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #331
Total Quack
 
Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: too busy to care right now
Posts: 95,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB Bear View Post
Hi everyone

I have been lurking for quite a while, trying to get answers to questions that I have being anew cricut expression owner.

Is it possible to duplicate or make similar cuts using the SYI cartridge for "mats" or frames with scalloped borders, like those with either the spellbinders or nestabilities dies? If not SYI is there something in accents essentials? I do not have the DStudio software, do I need that?

Any help is appreciated!

Lynn (LLB Bear)

I

Do you have the regular Cricut or the Expression? The Ebug will let you 'fill' the page with whatever shape you want. The little bug will not.


Whether you use it for this or for other things, you DEFINITELY need the Design Studio. It's a wonderful, fantastic, creative tool that every Cricut owner really needs. It opens up amazing options with your bugs.
__________________
~~*Shell*~~
Shell's Stuff

Shell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #332
Die Cut Diva
 
Scrapjanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The City That Never Sleeps
Posts: 3,053
Default

To the poster who asked about Design Studio: I have it and use it with the original Cricut, and I really like it. You don't need to pay $37 for an e-book. I must be one of the only people who bought DS who found that the manual it came with was fine. DS doesn't do everything, and PC should make some updates, but it is definitely worth the money I paid for it ($59 at the time).

To the poster who asked about the Deep Cut Blade & Housing: I've heard only bad things about this. No one has reported any success in using it to cut chipboard or other heavy materials. I can cut chipboard with my regular blade, if I repeat the cut 4 or 5 times and use thin chipboard. I usually do that and glue several layers together. (Or I just use my Big Kick.)

HTH, ladies.
__________________
Jeanette
Scrapjanny is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #333
Kookie Creator
 
Sansuesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 544
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2 View Post
Hi!
I have DS and I don't have problems with it at all. I'm not a great computer operator or anything like that. My computer is old and slow and still it works. All you really need to do is just sit down and play.
First I started with the free copy that only worked George and Keystone, the cartridges that came with my machine. You can only cut what comes with your machine, but you can play with all the cartridge shapes. I'd stretch, squish, spread, shrink and slant away. I pushed buttons until I found out what they did. I got frustrated, but I kept trying. Eventually I figured out how to weld, and save my files. I even figured out how to download and save other files, and actually cut with them.
I still know so little about the DS that it's embarrassing, but I can tell you this, I no longer wish to upgrade my OBug for the EBug. I can do all I want by manipulating images before cutting.
I don't have any interest in the SCAL at this time, but maybe I will down the road.
Just take the free one for a test drive.
Thank you so much for your response about Design Studio; I may consider it after all. TFS.
__________________
Sandy
Sansuesha is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #334
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 458
Default

Does anyone know if there is a cartridge with a pillow box? Tags, bags boxes and more do not. ...
the pillow box die from SU/Sizzix may not be the right size for me; I'd like to have options. TIA, gail
gailwoo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #335
Mad Swapper
 
ScrappinGalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,738
Send a message via AIM to ScrappinGalz Send a message via Yahoo to ScrappinGalz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwoo View Post
Does anyone know if there is a cartridge with a pillow box? Tags, bags boxes and more do not. ...
the pillow box die from SU/Sizzix may not be the right size for me; I'd like to have options. TIA, gail
If you have design studio, here is a link for a blog I like. She has a cut file for a pillow box that you can download

http://www.paperscissorsinc.com/2008...nd-george.html
__________________
Tina aka Scrappingalz
ScrappinGalz is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #336
Hardware Hotshot
 
hookedoncrafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,267
Default

You can also go to cricut.com and download a free trial of the design studio. Of course, you can't actually cut with it, but there is a tutorial, then you can play on your computer with it.

Now my question: A friend created a scallop square with the Plantin Schoolbook cart that came with her expression. I now have the cart, also, but own the small cricut. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the scallop border on the square. Does anyone know, or do you have to use the expression for that technique? I have the software ordered so know I can do it then, but I don't want to wait! Thanks!!!
hookedoncrafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #337
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,407
Default

You can cut with the trial of Design Studio but only with the cartridge(s) that came with the machine.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #338
Total Quack
 
Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: too busy to care right now
Posts: 95,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedoncrafts View Post
You can also go to cricut.com and download a free trial of the design studio. Of course, you can't actually cut with it, but there is a tutorial, then you can play on your computer with it.

Now my question: A friend created a scallop square with the Plantin Schoolbook cart that came with her expression. I now have the cart, also, but own the small cricut. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the scallop border on the square. Does anyone know, or do you have to use the expression for that technique? I have the software ordered so know I can do it then, but I don't want to wait! Thanks!!!

She probably made it in the Design Studio. If she did, she just put small circles around the edges of the square and welded them together to make the scallop shape.
__________________
~~*Shell*~~
Shell's Stuff

Shell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #339
Polyshrink Goddess
 
sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wading through the Cheerios in Oklahoma
Posts: 728
Default

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Walmart has the Expression for $199 today and tomorrow. HTH!
__________________
Dianna

sunshine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #340
Kookie Creator
 
dmcg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Swalwell, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 369
Default

subscribing
__________________
After all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!
dmcg is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #341
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 274
Default sorry, posting this everwhere, so if you have

read it, sorry! just need a general consensus lol!
I POSTED this on another board, so sorry about the copy and paste, just
want as many to weigh in as possible so I can hopefully convince the dh!
here goes~ I wanta hear it, the good the bad, the ugly!
thanx,
tracyg

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:30 am Post subject: talk to me about design studio, & scal PLEASE has anyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had computer trouble after downloading the trial version of the ds software? please weigh in here, because I really want scal, and my understanding is that you need at least the trial version of ds to make it work, right? well, my computer crased within days of downloading it last year. my dh is soooooo freaking paranoid and convinced that it was because of the download...even though our puter fixin' peeps said it most likely wasn't......
so, did anyone else have a prob???? did your puter burn up and die???? crash and burn?????anyone??????
ok, that said, how does scal actually work? i am not puter savvy so, my understanding is you buy the download, then you what? how do you get it onto your cricut? and then once you've done that, do you have to connect up your cricut and computer every time you want to use it??
how exactly does it work????
much thanks for the info.
tracyg
Tracyg is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #342
Stazon Splitcoast
 
lindylou1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central NY
Posts: 16,991
Default

I don't own a Cricut and haven't browsed this thread, but just stumbled across this info on another message board which I thought was worth sharing in the event that you don't already know it. Seems like a great deal.

I just wanted to let everyone who bought a Cricut Expression yesterday know that you can go to Cricut.com and get 2 free cartridges (Printing 101 and My Community). You pay $7.95 for s&h and you have to send in your receipt that shows that you bought the Expression between 10/15 and 12/15 of this year. I got the heads up from another forum and wanted to pay it forward. Have fun!
lindylou1220 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #343
Kookie Creator
 
heidiburt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 453
Default

Hi- I just got a Cricut create. I have 2 questions

Are there any font cartridges that match the Stampin up Simon upper/Lowercase chip board font?

Are there any cartridges that can cut and image of jungle type braches. I want to cut out some Jungle braches to use to have a monkey stamped pretending that he is swinging from vine o vine?

Thanks
Heidi
heidiburt is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #344
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 713
Default

Heidi,
I'm pretty sure Zooballoo has the branches. If you go to cricut.com, click on the tab that says information, then select Cartridge Library, you can see what is inside all of the cartridges.
Here is a card made with the same idea as yours but using zooballoo.
http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=2971456
Dina
__________________
Dina
dinagriff is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #345
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
Default

I just found the Expression at Wal-Mart for $150 last night and it comes with two cartridges. I bought two one for my mother-in-law and one for me. I really want to be able to cut through chipboard or whatever I want, so I am not sure if this is right for me or if I should get the Big Shot.
lsydney is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #346
lmg
Embossing Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 62
Default

OMG i was at Walmart yesteday and the cricut expression with 2 cart. was 289 plus tax Where do u live
lmg is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #347
Gabfest Goddess
 
stamphappy1650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 7,096
Default

I've had my expression for a couple of weeks (love it) and have cut a few pages of DP. all was well but now it doesn't cut through cardstock. It just makes fuzzy scratches on the top of the paper and they don't go through the paper.

I tested with increased pressure and changed the setting on the blade (was at 4, tried 5 & 6) and it won't cut through the cardstock. I can't believe that the blade would be dull after a few sheets of paper. What else should I consider? thanks in advance.
__________________
My Gallery
stamphappy1650 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #348
Insane Embellisher
 
deedah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Guelph Ontario Canada
Posts: 927
Default

Does anyone else have the problem of the machine shutting off before you hit cut?

I put in my letters I want to cut, load the mat and when I go to hit cut....all the letters in the view thing are gone and hitting cut, nothing happens....its like I never put the letters in in the first place
__________________
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. Randy Pausch
deedah is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #349
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 680
Default

stamphappy

Found this on cricut.com


What to do if Your Machine is Producing Rough Cuts
If your Cricut is producing rough cuts when using the appropriate setting for your paper, you may have an insufficiently sharpened blade. Please call our wonderful customer support team 1-877-727-4288 M-F 7am-6pm MST. They can help you determine whether this is a dull blade issue or another issue. Even though your blades may be new, you may have purchased some occasional insufficiently sharpened blades which can be replaced with some blades which our team has lovingly tested and approved.

Last edited by RDeaton; 12-17-2008 at 03:51 AM..
RDeaton is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #350
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg View Post
OMG i was at Walmart yesteday and the cricut expression with 2 cart. was 289 plus tax Where do u live
I live in Kansas City. I know I was shocked. I bought two more to sell on ebay. I was not necessarily planning on getting one, but when I saw them for that price I jumped on it. If anyone is interested here is the link to my auction, I will end the auction early as soon as some one bids. So, it will be kind of like "buy it now", I just didn't want to pay extra for the "buy it now" option on ebay. They are still cheaper than any store that I have seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123
lsydney is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #351
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 151
Default

I just bought the Cricut Expression at JoAnn's for $269.99 + tax (8%) = $291+. I haven't opened it yet - was that a good deal?
luvbngrandma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #352
Stazon Splitcoast
 
caterinafmig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Posts: 24,431
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbngrandma View Post
I just bought the Cricut Expression at JoAnn's for $269.99 + tax (8%) = $291+. I haven't opened it yet - was that a good deal?
You did well - much less than what my CE cost earlier this year.
__________________
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com
Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave
caterinafmig is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #353
Inking Addict
 
Simi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 81
Default

subscribing
__________________
Marie Aviza
My Blog
SpecialNeedsMA - Helping Special Needs Families in Massachusetts
Simi is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #354
Embossing Fanatic
 
craftydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 79
Default My Very own Expression!

My family got me the Expression for my Birthday and Christmas gift! (yes, I am one of those people who was born on the most wonderful day of the Year!) They normally give me a birthday gift a few days in advance so I don't feel "cheated on birthday" but this year was different and I thought something funny was up (espically when my oldest asked me if I would ever consider selling my extensive collection of paper punches?)....well, after seeing what they got me I totally freaked right out.........I got the coolest cartridges......one you cannot buy in the stores..........and LOTS of accessories.............I guess there was a problem with the shipping from the place where they got it from and my daughter got on the phone and was able to get free express shipping and tons of goodies and got $$ of the advertised price...............so any way

I set it up last night........I had already read the manual and start guide and all the cartridge info...........I was scared at first but soon I was cutting away..........

It is alittle hard to understand how some of the special feature buttons work and to be able to use different command buttons at the same time but it seems user friendly............

I do have one question...............I purchased the Jasmine cartridge at Joanns.......and on the front it states use with the personal cutter and on the back the font sizes only go to 5.5 inches....does this mean that I cannot use it on the expression....and if I can......can I get bigger font sizes other than 5.5?

Hopefully I won't be dissappointed in this wonderful gift from my family......They worked so hard to get it for me and how they managed to keep it secret for 2 months is also amazing (my girls have a hard time keeping gift secrets from me, they get so excited)

craftydee
craftydee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #355
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,013
Default

craftydee......You can use any of the cartridges in either the original Cricut or Expression. Some of the cartridges came out well before the Expression hit the market, so the boxes don't reflect the larger sizes you can cut. But yes you can cut up to 23.5 inches with the Expression and any of the cartridges.

Check out your local craft store to see if they offer a class or two in the Cricut or Expression. I teach at 2 of my local AC Moore stores on the machines. Also I would strongly suggest going to the Cricut website and watching the videos on both the original Cricut and the Expression. They are well worth the time spent watching them. They also have a message board that may be helpful to you.

Patti
pjw2855 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #356
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Auburn, MICHIGAN
Posts: 4
Default

To remove the paper fibers from your mat just use a lint roller after every use. Very simple.

I bet I can beat all of your deals! I got my cricut for 100$ at JoAnns on Black Friday!

Beat That!

Just kidding..



To anyone wondering wether or not a Cricut would be a good investment (even for a card maker):
The answer is YESSSSSSS! I make all of my own cards and I use it ALL the time! And if you purchase the cricut inks you can replace your blade with the marker and draw anything that you would normally cut! Amazing I know!


Hope this helps!!


-Carly-
__________________
Yours Truly-
-carly-
cpeil is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #357
Embossing Fanatic
 
craftydee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
craftydee......You can use any of the cartridges in either the original Cricut or Expression. Some of the cartridges came out well before the Expression hit the market, so the boxes don't reflect the larger sizes you can cut. But yes you can cut up to 23.5 inches with the Expression and any of the cartridges.

Check out your local craft store to see if they offer a class or two in the Cricut or Expression. I teach at 2 of my local AC Moore stores on the machines. Also I would strongly suggest going to the Cricut website and watching the videos on both the original Cricut and the Expression. They are well worth the time spent watching them. They also have a message board that may be helpful to you.

Patti


I took the suggestion and went on the website and watched the tutorials....they really did help but I still had some issues with the "mix and Match " button but finally figured out it was because of "fat finger syndrom"

and also it seemed like it "locked up my machine"....I didn't think a new machine could get confused so early and lock up....that did not impress me..... I had to power down a few times and restart a few times.....

am I doing something wrong?.......
craftydee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #358
Insane Embellisher
 
deedah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Guelph Ontario Canada
Posts: 927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydee View Post
I took the suggestion and went on the website and watched the tutorials....they really did help but I still had some issues with the "mix and Match " button but finally figured out it was because of "fat finger syndrom"

and also it seemed like it "locked up my machine"....I didn't think a new machine could get confused so early and lock up....that did not impress me..... I had to power down a few times and restart a few times.....

am I doing something wrong?.......

thats what happens to me too and no one answered my question......mine kind of freezes up and what ever I had typed in...dissappears and I have to power down and restart
__________________
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. Randy Pausch
deedah is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #359
Matboard Maniac
 
Kerryann96818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 1,285
Default

Subscribing, as my hubby surprised me with the Cricut Expression for christmas. Yay! I've been wanting it for over a year. Michael's supposedly has the cartridges on sale this week for $29.99, so I'm going to pop over there and see if they have any I want.
__________________
Kerry
got Jesus?
Kerryann96818 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #360
Total Quack
 
Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: too busy to care right now
Posts: 95,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydee View Post
My family got me the Expression for my Birthday and Christmas gift! (yes, I am one of those people who was born on the most wonderful day of the Year!) They normally give me a birthday gift a few days in advance so I don't feel "cheated on birthday" but this year was different and I thought something funny was up (espically when my oldest asked me if I would ever consider selling my extensive collection of paper punches?)....well, after seeing what they got me I totally freaked right out.........I got the coolest cartridges......one you cannot buy in the stores..........and LOTS of accessories.............I guess there was a problem with the shipping from the place where they got it from and my daughter got on the phone and was able to get free express shipping and tons of goodies and got $$ of the advertised price...............so any way

I set it up last night........I had already read the manual and start guide and all the cartridge info...........I was scared at first but soon I was cutting away..........

It is alittle hard to understand how some of the special feature buttons work and to be able to use different command buttons at the same time but it seems user friendly............

I do have one question...............I purchased the Jasmine cartridge at Joanns.......and on the front it states use with the personal cutter and on the back the font sizes only go to 5.5 inches....does this mean that I cannot use it on the expression....and if I can......can I get bigger font sizes other than 5.5?

Hopefully I won't be dissappointed in this wonderful gift from my family......They worked so hard to get it for me and how they managed to keep it secret for 2 months is also amazing (my girls have a hard time keeping gift secrets from me, they get so excited)

craftydee


You can use ANY of the carts on either machine. The size is limited by your machine - not by the cart itself. I hope that helps.



You won't be disappointed. Just have a great time and enjoy it.
__________________
~~*Shell*~~
Shell's Stuff

Shell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off