Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #321
Mad Swapper

Send a message via AIM to ScrappinGalz Send a message via Yahoo to ScrappinGalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwoo View Post
Does anyone know if there is a cartridge with a pillow box? Tags, bags boxes and more do not. ...
the pillow box die from SU/Sizzix may not be the right size for me; I'd like to have options. TIA, gail
If you have design studio, here is a link for a blog I like. She has a cut file for a pillow box that you can download

http://www.paperscissorsinc.com/2008...nd-george.html
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #322
Glitter Guru

You can also go to cricut.com and download a free trial of the design studio. Of course, you can't actually cut with it, but there is a tutorial, then you can play on your computer with it.

Now my question: A friend created a scallop square with the Plantin Schoolbook cart that came with her expression. I now have the cart, also, but own the small cricut. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the scallop border on the square. Does anyone know, or do you have to use the expression for that technique? I have the software ordered so know I can do it then, but I don't want to wait! Thanks!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #323
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedoncrafts View Post
You can also go to cricut.com and download a free trial of the design studio. Of course, you can't actually cut with it, but there is a tutorial, then you can play on your computer with it.

Now my question: A friend created a scallop square with the Plantin Schoolbook cart that came with her expression. I now have the cart, also, but own the small cricut. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the scallop border on the square. Does anyone know, or do you have to use the expression for that technique? I have the software ordered so know I can do it then, but I don't want to wait! Thanks!!!

She probably made it in the Design Studio. If she did, she just put small circles around the edges of the square and welded them together to make the scallop shape.

Photography Site

Unread 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #324
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Walmart has the Expression for $199 today and tomorrow. HTH!

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #325
Kookie Creator

subscribing
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #326
Matboard Maniac

Default sorry, posting this everwhere, so if you have

read it, sorry! just need a general consensus lol!
I POSTED this on another board, so sorry about the copy and paste, just
want as many to weigh in as possible so I can hopefully convince the dh!
here goes~ I wanta hear it, the good the bad, the ugly!
thanx,
tracyg

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:30 am Post subject: talk to me about design studio, & scal PLEASE has anyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had computer trouble after downloading the trial version of the ds software? please weigh in here, because I really want scal, and my understanding is that you need at least the trial version of ds to make it work, right? well, my computer crased within days of downloading it last year. my dh is soooooo freaking paranoid and convinced that it was because of the download...even though our puter fixin' peeps said it most likely wasn't......
so, did anyone else have a prob???? did your puter burn up and die???? crash and burn?????anyone??????
ok, that said, how does scal actually work? i am not puter savvy so, my understanding is you buy the download, then you what? how do you get it onto your cricut? and then once you've done that, do you have to connect up your cricut and computer every time you want to use it??
how exactly does it work????
much thanks for the info.
tracyg
Unread 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #327
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't own a Cricut and haven't browsed this thread, but just stumbled across this info on another message board which I thought was worth sharing in the event that you don't already know it. Seems like a great deal.

I just wanted to let everyone who bought a Cricut Expression yesterday know that you can go to Cricut.com and get 2 free cartridges (Printing 101 and My Community). You pay $7.95 for s&h and you have to send in your receipt that shows that you bought the Expression between 10/15 and 12/15 of this year. I got the heads up from another forum and wanted to pay it forward. Have fun!
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #328
Kookie Creator

Hi- I just got a Cricut create. I have 2 questions

Are there any font cartridges that match the Stampin up Simon upper/Lowercase chip board font?

Are there any cartridges that can cut and image of jungle type braches. I want to cut out some Jungle braches to use to have a monkey stamped pretending that he is swinging from vine o vine?

Thanks
Heidi
Unread 12-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #329
Matboard Maniac

Heidi,
I'm pretty sure Zooballoo has the branches. If you go to cricut.com, click on the tab that says information, then select Cartridge Library, you can see what is inside all of the cartridges.
Here is a card made with the same idea as yours but using zooballoo.
http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=2971456
Dina
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #330
Cardstock Collector

I just found the Expression at Wal-Mart for $150 last night and it comes with two cartridges. I bought two one for my mother-in-law and one for me. I really want to be able to cut through chipboard or whatever I want, so I am not sure if this is right for me or if I should get the Big Shot.
Unread 12-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #331
lmg
Embossing Fanatic

OMG i was at Walmart yesteday and the cricut expression with 2 cart. was 289 plus tax Where do u live
Unread 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #332
Watercolor Wizard

I've had my expression for a couple of weeks (love it) and have cut a few pages of DP. all was well but now it doesn't cut through cardstock. It just makes fuzzy scratches on the top of the paper and they don't go through the paper.

I tested with increased pressure and changed the setting on the blade (was at 4, tried 5 & 6) and it won't cut through the cardstock. I can't believe that the blade would be dull after a few sheets of paper. What else should I consider? thanks in advance.
Unread 12-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #333
Insane Embellisher

Does anyone else have the problem of the machine shutting off before you hit cut?

I put in my letters I want to cut, load the mat and when I go to hit cut....all the letters in the view thing are gone and hitting cut, nothing happens....its like I never put the letters in in the first place
Unread 12-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #334
Rubber Obsessor

stamphappy

Found this on cricut.com

What to do if Your Machine is Producing Rough Cuts
If your Cricut is producing rough cuts when using the appropriate setting for your paper, you may have an insufficiently sharpened blade. Please call our wonderful customer support team 1-877-727-4288 M-F 7am-6pm MST. They can help you determine whether this is a dull blade issue or another issue. Even though your blades may be new, you may have purchased some occasional insufficiently sharpened blades which can be replaced with some blades which our team has lovingly tested and approved.

Last edited by RDeaton; 12-17-2008 at 03:51 AM..
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #335
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg View Post
OMG i was at Walmart yesteday and the cricut expression with 2 cart. was 289 plus tax Where do u live
I live in Kansas City. I know I was shocked. I bought two more to sell on ebay. I was not necessarily planning on getting one, but when I saw them for that price I jumped on it. If anyone is interested here is the link to my auction, I will end the auction early as soon as some one bids. So, it will be kind of like "buy it now", I just didn't want to pay extra for the "buy it now" option on ebay. They are still cheaper than any store that I have seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123
Unread 12-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #336
Cardstock Collector

I just bought the Cricut Expression at JoAnn's for $269.99 + tax (8%) = $291+. I haven't opened it yet - was that a good deal?
Unread 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #337
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbngrandma View Post
I just bought the Cricut Expression at JoAnn's for $269.99 + tax (8%) = $291+. I haven't opened it yet - was that a good deal?
You did well - much less than what my CE cost earlier this year.
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #338
Inking Addict

subscribing
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #339
Embossing Fanatic

Default My Very own Expression!

My family got me the Expression for my Birthday and Christmas gift! (yes, I am one of those people who was born on the most wonderful day of the Year!) They normally give me a birthday gift a few days in advance so I don't feel "cheated on birthday" but this year was different and I thought something funny was up (espically when my oldest asked me if I would ever consider selling my extensive collection of paper punches?)....well, after seeing what they got me I totally freaked right out.........I got the coolest cartridges......one you cannot buy in the stores..........and LOTS of accessories.............I guess there was a problem with the shipping from the place where they got it from and my daughter got on the phone and was able to get free express shipping and tons of goodies and got $$ of the advertised price...............so any way

I set it up last night........I had already read the manual and start guide and all the cartridge info...........I was scared at first but soon I was cutting away..........

It is alittle hard to understand how some of the special feature buttons work and to be able to use different command buttons at the same time but it seems user friendly............

I do have one question...............I purchased the Jasmine cartridge at Joanns.......and on the front it states use with the personal cutter and on the back the font sizes only go to 5.5 inches....does this mean that I cannot use it on the expression....and if I can......can I get bigger font sizes other than 5.5?

Hopefully I won't be dissappointed in this wonderful gift from my family......They worked so hard to get it for me and how they managed to keep it secret for 2 months is also amazing (my girls have a hard time keeping gift secrets from me, they get so excited)

craftydee
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #340
Pearl-ExPert

craftydee......You can use any of the cartridges in either the original Cricut or Expression. Some of the cartridges came out well before the Expression hit the market, so the boxes don't reflect the larger sizes you can cut. But yes you can cut up to 23.5 inches with the Expression and any of the cartridges.

Check out your local craft store to see if they offer a class or two in the Cricut or Expression. I teach at 2 of my local AC Moore stores on the machines. Also I would strongly suggest going to the Cricut website and watching the videos on both the original Cricut and the Expression. They are well worth the time spent watching them. They also have a message board that may be helpful to you.

Patti
Unread 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #341
Cardstock Collector

To remove the paper fibers from your mat just use a lint roller after every use. Very simple.

I bet I can beat all of your deals! I got my cricut for 100$ at JoAnns on Black Friday!

Beat That!

Just kidding..

To anyone wondering wether or not a Cricut would be a good investment (even for a card maker):
The answer is YESSSSSSS! I make all of my own cards and I use it ALL the time! And if you purchase the cricut inks you can replace your blade with the marker and draw anything that you would normally cut! Amazing I know!

Hope this helps!!

-Carly-
Unread 12-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #342
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
craftydee......You can use any of the cartridges in either the original Cricut or Expression. Some of the cartridges came out well before the Expression hit the market, so the boxes don't reflect the larger sizes you can cut. But yes you can cut up to 23.5 inches with the Expression and any of the cartridges.

Check out your local craft store to see if they offer a class or two in the Cricut or Expression. I teach at 2 of my local AC Moore stores on the machines. Also I would strongly suggest going to the Cricut website and watching the videos on both the original Cricut and the Expression. They are well worth the time spent watching them. They also have a message board that may be helpful to you.

Patti

I took the suggestion and went on the website and watched the tutorials....they really did help but I still had some issues with the "mix and Match " button but finally figured out it was because of "fat finger syndrom"

and also it seemed like it "locked up my machine"....I didn't think a new machine could get confused so early and lock up....that did not impress me..... I had to power down a few times and restart a few times.....

am I doing something wrong?.......
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #343
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydee View Post
I took the suggestion and went on the website and watched the tutorials....they really did help but I still had some issues with the "mix and Match " button but finally figured out it was because of "fat finger syndrom"

and also it seemed like it "locked up my machine"....I didn't think a new machine could get confused so early and lock up....that did not impress me..... I had to power down a few times and restart a few times.....

am I doing something wrong?.......

thats what happens to me too and no one answered my question......mine kind of freezes up and what ever I had typed in...dissappears and I have to power down and restart
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #344
Matboard Maniac

Subscribing, as my hubby surprised me with the Cricut Expression for christmas. Yay! I've been wanting it for over a year. Michael's supposedly has the cartridges on sale this week for $29.99, so I'm going to pop over there and see if they have any I want.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #345
Total Quack

Quote:
My family got me the Expression for my Birthday and Christmas gift! (yes, I am one of those people who was born on the most wonderful day of the Year!) They normally give me a birthday gift a few days in advance so I don't feel "cheated on birthday" but this year was different and I thought something funny was up (espically when my oldest asked me if I would ever consider selling my extensive collection of paper punches?)....well, after seeing what they got me I totally freaked right out.........I got the coolest cartridges......one you cannot buy in the stores..........and LOTS of accessories.............I guess there was a problem with the shipping from the place where they got it from and my daughter got on the phone and was able to get free express shipping and tons of goodies and got $$ of the advertised price...............so any way

I set it up last night........I had already read the manual and start guide and all the cartridge info...........I was scared at first but soon I was cutting away..........

It is alittle hard to understand how some of the special feature buttons work and to be able to use different command buttons at the same time but it seems user friendly............

I do have one question...............I purchased the Jasmine cartridge at Joanns.......and on the front it states use with the personal cutter and on the back the font sizes only go to 5.5 inches....does this mean that I cannot use it on the expression....and if I can......can I get bigger font sizes other than 5.5?

Hopefully I won't be dissappointed in this wonderful gift from my family......They worked so hard to get it for me and how they managed to keep it secret for 2 months is also amazing (my girls have a hard time keeping gift secrets from me, they get so excited)

craftydee

You can use ANY of the carts on either machine. The size is limited by your machine - not by the cart itself. I hope that helps.

You won't be disappointed. Just have a great time and enjoy it.

Photography Site

Unread 01-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #346
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedah View Post
thats what happens to me too and no one answered my question......mine kind of freezes up and what ever I had typed in...dissappears and I have to power down and restart
I went to my LSS and she gave me a personal demo and some tips for my expression......she said that if you try to load info too fast, it will act like any computerized item......I think my problem is that I was trying to enter the letters too fast and it didn"t have the time to catch up and it gets confused..........she even said hers does it once in awhile....we have to give the machine enough time to recognize each item we put in..........

When powering down...let it sit for a minute before starting back up....and also another lady who has one said to make sure that the power cord (the box) part of it is not hanging down causing tension on the cord......she said once she put that part of her cord on the table behind her machine, it didn't do that anymore........

Hope ths Helps?

Craftydee
Unread 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #347
Mad Swapper

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostvig View Post
TIPS TREASURE CHEST - Awareness Ribbon from George"If you are looking for an awareness ribbon...Our Troops, Breast Cancer, etc...look no further than George. Cut out the Ampersand, and with a few snips of your scissors, you have a ribbon!
I just found this thread and this hint! I'm in heaven. DH bought me a Cricut Expression last spring and when the jukebox and design studio were recently on sale at Michael's, he got me those two. I'm not a technowizard and so this has been a BIG challenge for me.

I am delighted to find this thread -- just reading through the first few pages of hints, I feel much more confident about my Cricut and very excited to try some new things.

Thanks, ladies, for all of these wonderful ideas!
Unread 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #348
Mad Swapper

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:
Oh, what a great gift! My DH surprised me with one last spring and he got me the Jasmine cartridge too... I LOVE it. You can make a letter as large as the sheet of paper with the CE. It's one of my favorite fonts!
Unread 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #349
Total Quack

If you want more hints, answers to questions, or examples of creations .... go here .......

Cricut Chatter #3

Photography Site

Unread 01-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #350
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Sabrinasmom

I saw the infomercial on TV for the expressions and fell in love! So, now I researching it to see what kind of prices are out there for it. What price range would be considered a good deal for one? It appears they come with one or more cartridges. Thanks!
Unread 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #351
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrinasmom View Post
I saw the infomercial on TV for the expressions and fell in love! So, now I researching it to see what kind of prices are out there for it. What price range would be considered a good deal for one? It appears they come with one or more cartridges. Thanks!
You should be able to get a Cricut Expression for under $200 at Wal-Mart when they have them on sale. (The last time I was in Wal-Mart, they were on sale... not sure if they are still at the sale price now.... I think they were $189.) Wal-Mart's regular price is cheaper than any craft store I've seen, even on sale.

Wal-Mart has the cartridges the cheapest around in terms of their regular price which is about $59 for most, some are less. You can get them for that price at Wal-Mart.com too.

Michael's often has them on sale for around $40-45 each but when Wal-Mart has them on sale, they are under $40, some as low as about $35. DH is always on the watch for me and a couple of weeks ago, he stopped in WalMart to pick up some glitter glue for me and came home with 5 cartridges for well under $200.

I am truly blessed with this man.... he soooo supports my work and he knows exactly what I want and need and tries hard to find me bargains. (I'm mostly housebound as I'm disabled with a ventilator, feeding tube, and wheelchair, so I don't get out as often as I'd like, especially in winter!)

HTH!
Unread 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #352
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaside Rose View Post
You should be able to get a Cricut Expression for under $200 at Wal-Mart when they have them on sale. (The last time I was in Wal-Mart, they were on sale... not sure if they are still at the sale price now.... I think they were $189.) Wal-Mart's regular price is cheaper than any craft store I've seen, even on sale.

Wal-Mart has the cartridges the cheapest around in terms of their regular price which is about $59 for most, some are less. You can get them for that price at Wal-Mart.com too.

Michael's often has them on sale for around $40-45 each but when Wal-Mart has them on sale, they are under $40, some as low as about $35. DH is always on the watch for me and a couple of weeks ago, he stopped in WalMart to pick up some glitter glue for me and came home with 5 cartridges for well under $200.

I am truly blessed with this man.... he soooo supports my work and he knows exactly what I want and need and tries hard to find me bargains. (I'm mostly housebound as I'm disabled with a ventilator, feeding tube, and wheelchair, so I don't get out as often as I'd like, especially in winter!)

HTH!
Okay, I jumped the gun...I was/am excited and DH okay'd it, so I bought the Expressions with three cartridges (Platin schoolbook, accent essentials, and makin' the grade) and design studio for $300. I *think* it was a good price for all of that.
Unread 01-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #353
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=Seaside Rose;12559228]You should be able to get a Cricut Expression for under $200 at Wal-Mart when they have them on sale. (The last time I was in Wal-Mart, they were on sale... not sure if they are still at the sale price now.... I think they were $189.) Wal-Mart's regular price is cheaper than any craft store I've seen, even on sale.

Hi all --
I am a new Cricut owner - I am eagerly awaiting my Expression to come from customcrops.com. My husband bought me the original cricut for Christmas but encouraged me to upgrade when I found an awesome deal online.

Currently, the best price I found in a brick and mortar store was $288 at Walmart. Black Friday, the price for the expression was $200 and the original was $100, so those were my target prices. I found the Expression at Customcrops.com for $219. They told me that is a special they are running so I grabbed it. It is backordered until January 16th but I'm willing to wait to get it at that price. I checked AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joanns and Walmart before ordering online. HTH

my gallery
Unread 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #354
Mad Swapper

Jenn and Vicki, I think you both got really good deals. I'm sure you'll love them! I just got the design studio and have begun the very tedious task of registering all of my cartridges and entering all of my cartridges into it. I wish I'd registered them on line as I got them LOL. Would have been MUCH easier!
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #355
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I went to my LSS and she gave me a personal demo and some tips for my expression......she said that if you try to load info too fast, it will act like any computerized item......I think my problem is that I was trying to enter the letters too fast and it didn"t have the time to catch up and it gets confused..........she even said hers does it once in awhile....we have to give the machine enough time to recognize each item we put in..........

When powering down...let it sit for a minute before starting back up....and also another lady who has one said to make sure that the power cord (the box) part of it is not hanging down causing tension on the cord......she said once she put that part of her cord on the table behind her machine, it didn't do that anymore........

Hope ths Helps?

Craftydee

thank you.....I'll give that a try
Unread 01-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #356
Mad Swapper

I don't know if this is the correct area to post my question....but, can anyone tell me which cartridge has the tabs? I really thought I had made them before on my expression, but cant seem to find it in any of my books for my carts. Any help would be much appreciated
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #357
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinGalz View Post
I don't know if this is the correct area to post my question....but, can anyone tell me which cartridge has the tabs? I really thought I had made them before on my expression, but cant seem to find it in any of my books for my carts. Any help would be much appreciated

You might want to try Fabulous Finds.

Photography Site

Unread 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #358
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
You might want to try Fabulous Finds.
Thank you I will!
Unread 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #359
Stampin' Fool

I got my Expressions today and I just don't have the energy to play...I want to, but I just don't feel like it...lol.

Tomorrow is another day, and I am digging in!
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #360
Mad Swapper

Can you cut the shrink plastic stuff with the cricut? I just received some and want to try it but didn't know if it will damage my cricut. Please fogive me if i am asking a question that has already been answered and i missed it. I did look for it, but couldn't find anything.