Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #2921
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
Need help my SCS friends! I would love to purchase an expression. I have had an original cricut for years and love my SCAL. I have several cartridges but when I found SCALS (thanks to SCS) I fell in love....with a program. It really allows me freedom.
Can you guys tell me what the firmware version I should be looking for. I found one on Joann.com that the reps told me was V2.43. I know that the E2does not take SCALS due to that lawsuit. Tks in advance for your help!
I think that's the right version, but I'm not positive. I'll have to check my E and let you know. Where in the Bronx do you live? I'm in the Morris Park/Williamsbridge Road area.
http://www.scrapjanny.blogspot.com[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Jeanette
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #2922
Insane Embellisher

Heart Bronx is in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I think that's the right version, but I'm not positive. I'll have to check my E and let you know. Where in the Bronx do you live? I'm in the Morris Park/Williamsbridge Road area.
We are quite near each other. I live in Co-Op City! Tks for checking for me!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #2923
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
We are quite near each other. I live in Co-Op City! Tks for checking for me!
I just checked my E, and the firmware version I have is 2.34. I asked my husband (network engineer) if you could "retro-fit" the firmware by rolling it back to this version, but he doesn't think so. He said that if the E started out with a later version, you probably can't bring it down to an earlier version. Sorry about that.

On a happier note, we really have to get together to scrap/stamp. I'm always looking for new crafty friends.
Jeanette
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #2924
Insane Embellisher

Default Tks Bronx Buddy!

Thank you so, so much for checking for me. I don't think I could do without my SCAL. I am so thankful that I bought it long before that crazy lawsuit. I will never buy another cricut if that means no SCALs. Made too many svg files myself, needless to add on all the free ones online. Well, I will research the others and just save up to buy one. BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow as my daughter has an appointment at Jacobi.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #2925
Die Cut Diva

You're very welcome. All I had to do was turn on my E. Good luck with your appointment. Do you ever go to the Micheal's in Pelham? Maybe we could meet up there for a crop on a Friday night. I think they still do those. Send me a PM, and we can work out a day (or another place) that works for both of us.
Jeanette
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #2926
Insane Embellisher

We use SCAL and were lucky enough to have the correct version of Cricut. We are very careful to never upgrade the firmware on our Cricut. If our machine was ever to die, I would look into a Cameo. I think the software is similar to SCAL and it allows you to cut [U]anything [U] that you would like. I had a gal at Archiver's show me how it works and it looks pretty amazing. I understand that in addition to being able to purchase designs, and make your own designs, you can also find many free things online that people are willing to share. I have been frustrated with Cricut since they had the lawsuit. I want a machine that allows me to be able to cut what I want to cut.
katwil likes this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #2927
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll just add this - most of the refurb Expressions are an earlier version. And if you don't update you could probably use your SCAL. The refurbished Expressions are pretty awesome actually. The price is right ( you can find them usually for under $125) and they work perfectly. They do come with a one year warrenty. cricutmachine.com has them for $109 right now.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #2928
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to mastersdegree

I've been away from SCS and crafting for a while now. Happily I am back to crafting! Looking for any Cricut cartridges that aren't digital with musical notes or instruments. Any suggestions?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #2929
Pearl-ExPert

does anyone know if a new copy SCAL software would work with an expression that has not been updated?
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?

Last edited by mycattracks; 10-26-2013 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: to switch order of words
Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2930
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycattracks View Post
does anyone know if a new copy SCAL software would work with an expression that has not been updated?
I believe that only SCAL 1 and SCAL 2 will work with Cricuts that haven't been updated. SCAL 3 will not work with any of them.
Jeanette
Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #2931
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
There is one cartridge named Quarter Note. It should be what you are looking for.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #2932
Matboard Maniac

Where can I find the online PDF version of the handbooks? Thank you.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #2933
Polyshrink Goddess

I go to cricut's website. In the search feature I put in the name of the cartridge. Click on the cartridge, go to digital handbook and download the handbook. Some people use iBooks. I use good reader. I don't use handbooks much anymore. I use my iPad and read from there

Hope this helps.
lovetostamp3 likes this post.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #2934
Glitter Queen

cricut stuck in upgrade mode when trying to install the cricut craft room. I have the some of the keyboard lite up and there are about 6-8 black boxes in the screen area. I get can't it get out of the upgrade mode.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #2935
Embossing Fanatic

Ummmm mine was stuck a while back and eventually a message popped up on my computer screen that the update failed and it let me start it again. Same thing happened but on the third try it worked. How long have you been waiting?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #2936
Glitter Queen

is there any way to get the cricut back to its original state without the ccr update decided its not worth having
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #2937
Embossing Fanatic

I really don't know since it says not to stop it during the upgrade process. You could check with customer service, I've had decent luck with them. Sorry that I can't be of more help.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #2938
Compulsive Stamper

Can someone help me...Please? I purchased SCAL software to use with my Cricut. I need to know what type cable I use to connect my computer to my cricut so I can cut. I have a old baby Personal Cricut V1.34 compatible to SCAL prior to lawsuit. TIA
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #2939
Die Cut Diva

You need a standard USB cable, nothing special. You can get them at the Dollar Tree. Hope that helps.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #2940
Insane Embellisher

Smile Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolin View Post
Can someone help me...Please? I purchased SCAL software to use with my Cricut. I need to know what type cable I use to connect my computer to my cricut so I can cut. I have a old baby Personal Cricut V1.34 compatible to SCAL prior to lawsuit. TIA
You can use a printer cable. I have a Baby Cricut and lose the cable that came with the old Design Studio all the time. So, I tried a printer cable and voila! You are so lucky to get that SCAL. Make sure it is version 2. You can upgrade on the craftedge site if not.
I just got an expression off of Joann site. It was a bundle deal. The cricut was green and a pre law suit addition. I took a chance and it worked with my SCAL V2. You will have so much fun creating your own cut files! Yayyyy for you
mycattracks likes this post.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #2941
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
You can use a printer cable. I have a Baby Cricut and lose the cable that came with the old Design Studio all the time. So, I tried a printer cable and voila! You are so lucky to get that SCAL. Make sure it is version 2. You can upgrade on the craftedge site if not.
I just got an expression off of Joann site. It was a bundle deal. The cricut was green and a pre law suit addition. I took a chance and it worked with my SCAL V2. You will have so much fun creating your own cut files! Yayyyy for you
I did this too now I just need time to play. mostly I want to work with MDS, have you tried yet? any tips?
member #1989

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #2942
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the help ladies. What I really want is a Cameo...but due to a ton of medical bills that will have to wait. I remembered I had the baby Cricut tucked away and took a chance that I had never upgraded the firmware. When I turned it on I was thrilled! First time my procrastination worked in my favor. LOL That never happens! I'll let you know how things turn out.
caterinafmig likes this post.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #2943
Die Cut Diva

So glad you are able to use SCAL! I have an older Expression that still works with SCAL 2, and I don't know what I'm going to do when it finally goes. I have a Cake Mini that works with SCAL 2 also, but I like the bigger machine. I don't really want a Cameo, and the eClips is way too expensive. I hope you have as much fun with your Cricut as I have with mine!
Jeanette
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #2944
Matboard Maniac

Has anyone uploaded the cricut handbooks that they have shortened to put on the Ipad?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #2945
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes. I use an app called Good Reader. I have the books on my iPad and my iPhone.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #2946
Proud Fan Club Member

I have not read all 74 pages of the Cricut thread so if this was talked about before then I'm sorry to repeat the question. I have just removed the plastic sheet from a new Cricut mat (the green one) and the smell of the mat is so offensive it is hard to work in my 10x12 space. My paper even picked up the odor from the mat and it was only on there about 5 to 10 minutes!!
I tried putting it outdoors for a time but I needed to use it again. Is there any way to get rid of the stink?? I'm sure over time it will eventually go away but for now it's giving me a headache. I don't mind leaving it outside or in the garage during the night, but it seems as though the plastic sheet has to be off (I did not smell them before removing the sheeting, I have had them for 6 weeks already) and I don't want the mats to get dusty or dirty while they are uncovered!!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
J.26F.31M.24A.27M22 J.17J.41 Aug. 4/15-20
Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #2947
Die Cut Diva

I always hate to tell people to do this because it's like calling the IRS for a wait time. I would call ProvoCraft about your mats. It is the glue that is causing the fumes. Those fumes are really dangerous. Years ago over at the Cricut forum we were having a discussion about the mat fumes.

I wrote I almost ended up in the hospital with an asthma attack. One of the members her child did end up in the hospital. Apparently PC read my message. This is when they cared. They wanted to replace the mats or compensate me for them. I told them not to worry about it. I would be happy if they fixed the glue issue.

The newer mats are supposed to be better with less odors. I have bought a set of mats last year. The smell was much better. I would definitely call and tell them.

Don't feel bad it's not just Cricut. Some of the other die cutter's have even worse smelling mats. These companies really need a new glue manufacturer. I think they are using the same ones. I know at the time PC was using a mfg. from China.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #2948
Die Cut Diva

I always hate to tell people to do this because it's like calling the IRS for a wait time. I would call ProvoCraft about your mats. It is the glue that is causing the fumes. Those fumes are really dangerous. Years ago over at the Cricut forum we were having a discussion about the mat fumes.

I wrote I almost ended up in the hospital with an asthma attack. One of the members her child did end up in the hospital. Apparently PC read my message. This is when they cared. They wanted to replace the mats or compensate me for them. I told them not to worry about it. I would be happy if they fixed the glue issue.

The newer mats are supposed to be better with less odors. I have bought a set of mats last year. The smell was much better. I would definitely call and tell them.

Don't feel bad it's not just Cricut. Some of the other die cutter's have even worse smelling mats. These companies really need a new glue manufacturer. I think they are using the same ones. I know at the time PC was using a mfg. from China.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #2949
Die Cut Diva

I am sorry about the double post. My Internet had a glitch due to the cold.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #2950
Proud Fan Club Member

DeeAnn, thanks for the information. I guess I knew as a last resort to call PC but like you said about the IRS, I need a time when I can sit on hold. These are some of their brand new mats, the standard strength ones..... yes, I believe it is coming from the glue used on the mat.
It deeply concerns me if the glue might be toxic. PC is still using manufacturers from China for the mats I have!!
J.26F.31M.24A.27M22 J.17J.41 Aug. 4/15-20
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #2951
Matboard Maniac

Maybe a Cricut is in my future. I am not tech savvy, how complicated is this machine to use? Where is the best place to read about the machine?

Tara
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #2952
Stampin' Fool

I can't tell you about the newer ones, as I have an Expression and the baby one. I watched a friend use hers one day, and I was able to get the hang of it with mine. They have great tutorials on Youtube. That's where I go to learn about lots of things.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #2953
Polyshrink Goddess

Is there some trick to registering my new Expressions2, or a trick to becoming a Member so I can use my Digital Image Credits? When I try to do either, I get a message to try again later, but I'm getting tired of trying again later and getting scared my kids gifted me with an albatross that will cause me more problems than it's worth. If phoning for help is like phoning the IRS, I'm remembering when I phoned the IRS and it took me five years and hundreds of phone calls before they finally admitted their mistake and stopped threatening to ruin my life. Life's short, maybe too short for an Expressions2? Are you in love with yours?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #2954
Matboard Maniac

I remember my first purchase of a Cricut. I watched the DVD that was included in it and felt very threatened. But then I jumped in and found it to be very easy. Now that said...The Expression2 has a bit of learning curve. But not to bad. I would call it an UN-learning curve because it does work a bit differently. Just remember..."It is only paper" and you will do fine.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #2955
Insane Embellisher

I am in love with my E2, then again, I never had a prior Expression, it was my first.

It's been easy for me to use, videos on the internet have been great, and my personal experience with ProvoCraft has been wonderful. Yes, I may have to be on hold for awhile, however, when a company has a number of products they are supporting, I expect that to happen. Every Cust. Service Rep has been very polite and helpful, then again, I've never been rude to them. If I've had an issue, they have been quick to send out a replacement part at no cost, so I can't complain.

I'm not a computer whiz, so I like the variety of cartridges, and have fun changing/altering them thru the CCR and it works great for me with my E2 as well. So, I'm a happy camper with the products, and they work for me and my crafting needs and I've had great success!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #2956
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
I am in love with my E2, then again, I never had a prior Expression, it was my first.
, and they work for me and my crafting needs and I've had great success!
Ahhhh! Bless you, you give me hope. FINALLY I got registered today with no idea why twenty tries over a week didn't get me registered. This is my first electronic cutter too, a gift from my children. Otherwise I would have returned it because a struggle just to get it registered seemed a very bad omen.

Thanks to all for your replies,
Soon-to-b-happy E2 User
Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #2957
Hardware Hotshot

Default cricut explore

Working with my new Cricut Explore. I love love love it!!!! I am not a computer whiz or anything close to it but so far after three days with the explore I have cut from the image library and svg images without any trouble. It is so quiet when cutting and so far no wasted paper...... hope the good times continues
smokiesgal likes this post.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #2958
Stazon Splitcoast

I too am loving my new Explore. It cuts vinyl like "buttah"!

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #2959
Pearl-ExPert

for those that have the explore, does it only work if you are connected to the internet? and have you tried it with MDS?
member #1989

Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #2960
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycattracks View Post
for those that have the explore, does it only work if you are connected to the internet? and have you tried it with MDS?
Yes, it only works if you are connected to the internet.

Yes, I have used MDS with the Explore. That being said, I only exported various images as SVGs and then sized and cut them on the Explore. I added a card to the gallery here this afternoon which included little birds. The birds were exported from MDS, uploaded to the Explore Design Space and cut. The bird image is saved to my DS. So when I go to search my images, it is there for me to use again and again.
mycattracks likes this post.