Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #2881
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflake View Post
I have all three, Cricut, Gypsy, CCR up and mostly running. I do not use my Gypsy much as it WILL NOT work with my Cricut. All of my older cartridges are linked to my Gypsy. I will not link my new ones to it even though I can use my Gypsy with the Cricut machine at my LSS during crops. I just take my carts if going to a crop. Not a problem for me as I don't have all that many, but I have been adding to my inventory this year......

I design mostly with CCR and you don't have to link carts for it to work but you do have to have the physical cart (no problem for me because I use an iMac) to cut and it is not portable!!

I to LOVED my Gypsy but it quite "talking" with my Cricut (older model) after a month of using the two together. Provo Craft could not help!! It bummed me out so I bought a Silhouette Cameo.......... which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Besides my Cricut only cuts 6x12 whereas I cut 12x12 for scrapbooking with the Cameo.

Now I would be interested to find out if/how I can link all the carts that are on my Gypsy to CCR on my computer. Just sweet not to pull out the linked carts every time but not a deal breaker.
Yes, you can link your cartridges with CCR if they are linked with your Gypsy! I believe the directions are on the CCR site. Just make sure that you use the same email address for everything. (Don't ask. ) Now everything works with everything else for me. The only exception is my Cricut E, which I haven't synced with CCR, because I want to continue using SCAL 2 with it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #2882
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm with you Scrapjanny, if I had SCAL on any Cricut, I would not change it for anything. Thanks for the info, I kind of knew I could get it to link but I'm afraid something bad will happen to my Cricut or computer.

Last edited by sewflake; 08-19-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #2883
Cardstock Collector

Can someone tell me the basic differnce between an Expression & Expression 2? I have the small Cricut and am finding I "need" the bigger one, not sure which one is better or if it makes that much difference?

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #2884
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNY View Post
Can someone tell me the basic differnce between an Expression & Expression 2? I have the small Cricut and am finding I "need" the bigger one, not sure which one is better or if it makes that much difference?

Thanks,
I believe the expression 2 can also print.

I am so envious of people who have SCAL. I wish I could find an old copy. I will not update my expression. I have even considered selling mine so that I could get something to work with MDS.
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #2885
Matboard Maniac

Hi Nancy!

I actually have both of the machines you are considering.

I am not computer savvy at all! I am very limited in space and have to craft in my dining room. And pack everything away for every meal. Bummer!

So I LOVE the E2 b/c all my carts are on my Gypsy and w/ the digital screen you do not NEED the handbook and overlay. I have all my carts, handbooks and overlays packed away.

If you use CRR or you Gypsy this will not be an issue for you. I do not have the ability to connect my Cricut to my computer so I do not use CRR.

With that being said I really miss the regular Expression. It is really easy to use and I LOVE the navigation buttons. I guess I am a "touchy-feely" person. (I do not like my touch screen phone for the same reasons...miss my old dumb phone with physical keys that I can feel and depress.

The E2 has NO buttons for you to push, NO navigation buttons and you have to remember what the 20-30 icons are each time you use it. It has a touch screen that you use a stylus to select. I do not use it enough to remember so I have a cheat sheet.

It does have some really neat features that remind me of the Gypsy. Being able to chance the cutting setting based on the type of paper you are using is AWESOME!

But again I do not use it enough so I get frustrated. Because I am frustrated I do not want to use it too much. It is a catch 22 for me.

Neither one prints. Only the Imagine prints but that has been discontinued.

Hope this helps,
Valerie
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #2886
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, everyone, for your info on the gypsy and CCR in regards to their cartridges.

I just need a bit more clarification:

1. if I purchase cartidges on the buy and sell forum that were linked to a gypsy I can use them with CCR but not a gypsy
2. uploading/linking my cartridges to CCR will not restrict resale
Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #2887
Die Cut Diva

I don't think you can link a cartridge to CCR if it has been linked to a Gypsy that you don't own. However, you can just cut with it using CCR. You'll have to insert the cartridge when it's time to cut.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #2888
Proud Fan Club Member

Scrapjanny is right, once the cartridge is linked to a Gypsy it can not be linked to another Gypsy or CCR, but you can design with CCR, insert the cart and cut.

It makes me wonder if the owner of the Gypsy these said carts are linked to can download/link to CCR with that Gypsy and cut without possessing the cartridges any longer.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #2889
Cardstock Collector

Thanks so much Valerie, that helps a lot. I don't have a gypsy nor have I connected with CCR yet. LOL I am so far behind the times! I don't have a ton of cartridges, so just keep plugging them in.

But I now have the first 2 CTMH cartridges and will be ordering the new one in October and they do so much, and lots of it requires the larger machine. In the last two months I've used those cartridges the most - I'm sure the touch screen would be a huge learning curve for me also (since I don't use it everyday!)

I'm just doing my research as I plan to but one with my birthday money.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2890
Matboard Maniac

Hi Nancy!

The CTMH are my favorite ones as well!

I have had a cricut since they first came out...and I am STILL behind the times! That is what appealed to me in the very beginning. It was not computer dependent and you just plug and go...Voila! This is for me! All these years later...I am still at the same point. Sad really.

I was forced to learn BASIC Gypsy "stuff" for 3 reasons....

1. I was never sure what orientation/size my image was going to cut and when dealing w/ scrap pieces of paper this very much frustrated me when I laid my paper out wrong. I waisted SO much paper!

2. I REALLY did not like the tick marks that were cut into the paper for fold lines. In cards esp. So when I heard that the Gypsy would solve that I had to learn.

3. For space reasons, I was able to store away the physical boxes, carts b/c w/ the Gypsy I could just plug my Gypsy in and my ENTIRE cart library was in the tiny hand held unit! YEA!

I am going to hate life if my Gypsy ever stops working! I Can Not connect to CCR b/c my computer is in a totally different part of the house. I had heard rumors about a wireless adapter that the E2 can accommodate that was supposed to allow someone like me to sill be able to "connect" but wirelessly. (This feature was WHY I upgraded to the E2) However, I was later told that the adapter was only for connection for UPGRADES only for the cutting and personal use....AT THIS TIME...

Bummer...

The company is really pushing everyone to use the CCR...they have discontinued the Gypsy so support for it is VERY hard to get. I took over 6 months for them to update it so that that last few carts that I purchased could be linked to it! VERY frustrating. That is what they want...to convert people to CCR which is available immediately. But again, I can not use the CCR...not everyone has their machines next to their computers.

I REALLY want the new CTMH cart...But I will not purchase it until I know that the update to the Gypsy to include it in my library has been done.

Valerie
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #2891
Matboard Maniac

OOPs. I have a type-o

The last sentence in this paragraph...

I am going to hate life if my Gypsy ever stops working! I Can Not connect to CCR b/c my computer is in a totally different part of the house. I had heard rumors about a wireless adapter that the E2 can accommodate that was supposed to allow someone like me to sill be able to "connect" but wirelessly. (This feature was WHY I upgraded to the E2) However, I was later told that the adapter was only for connection for UPGRADES only for the cutting and personal use....AT THIS TIME...

Should read...

I was later told that the adapter was only for connection for UPGRADES only and NOT for cutting and personal use....AT THIS TIME...

Sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #2892
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNY View Post
Thanks so much Valerie, that helps a lot. I don't have a gypsy nor have I connected with CCR yet. LOL I am so far behind the times! I don't have a ton of cartridges, so just keep plugging them in.

But I now have the first 2 CTMH cartridges and will be ordering the new one in October and they do so much, and lots of it requires the larger machine. In the last two months I've used those cartridges the most - I'm sure the touch screen would be a huge learning curve for me also (since I don't use it everyday!)

I'm just doing my research as I plan to but one with my birthday money.
I just got the new cartridge and once I get some cards done that I HAVE to do, I will be playing with this one, lots on it as well. I don't scrapbook yet, but can see me doing it because of this cartridge!! Also making little photo books for the grandkids. It's just great, and I love the font on it. Hope you're as happy with it as well.......
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #2893
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is an FYI on a couple of things

There has been an update for the Gypsy and the newest carts including the CTMH Artbooking is now ready on the Gypsy. I did mine about a week ago and no problems. Everything is there.

Latest rumor has it that the EXPRESSION is being discontinued. Not the E2 but the EXPRESSION. Provocative is going to be releasing a new machine this fall/winter sometime and word is out that they are discontinuing the expression. So if anybody is wanting a back up now might be the time to grab one up. PC has not officially announced this but there is an ongoing thread on the message board and they have not disputed it either.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #2894
Polyshrink Goddess

I meant Provocraft - not Provocative. Ugh. Predictive text got me again.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #2895
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Cricut cake machine I rarely use. I will keep it on hand to convert as my back-up E if needed.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #2896
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post
Here is an FYI on a couple of things

There has been an update for the Gypsy and the newest carts including the CTMH Artbooking is now ready on the Gypsy. I did mine about a week ago and no problems. Everything is there.

Latest rumor has it that the EXPRESSION is being discontinued. Not the E2 but the EXPRESSION. Provocative is going to be releasing a new machine this fall/winter sometime and word is out that they are discontinuing the expression. So if anybody is wanting a back up now might be the time to grab one up. PC has not officially announced this but there is an ongoing thread on the message board and they have not disputed it either.
Wow, interesting! Makes me glad I have the E2....
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #2897
Insane Embellisher

Question Which Expressions still work with SCAL2

Need help my SCS friends! I would love to purchase an expression. I have had an original cricut for years and love my SCAL. I have several cartridges but when I found SCALS (thanks to SCS) I fell in love....with a program. It really allows me freedom.
Can you guys tell me what the firmware version I should be looking for. I found one on Joann.com that the reps told me was V2.43. I know that the E2does not take SCALS due to that lawsuit. Tks in advance for your help!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #2898
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwin View Post
Need help my SCS friends! I would love to purchase an expression. I have had an original cricut for years and love my SCAL. I have several cartridges but when I found SCALS (thanks to SCS) I fell in love....with a program. It really allows me freedom.
Can you guys tell me what the firmware version I should be looking for. I found one on Joann.com that the reps told me was V2.43. I know that the E2does not take SCALS due to that lawsuit. Tks in advance for your help!
I think that's the right version, but I'm not positive. I'll have to check my E and let you know. Where in the Bronx do you live? I'm in the Morris Park/Williamsbridge Road area.
Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #2899
Insane Embellisher

Heart Bronx is in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I think that's the right version, but I'm not positive. I'll have to check my E and let you know. Where in the Bronx do you live? I'm in the Morris Park/Williamsbridge Road area.
We are quite near each other. I live in Co-Op City! Tks for checking for me!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #2900
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
We are quite near each other. I live in Co-Op City! Tks for checking for me!
I just checked my E, and the firmware version I have is 2.34. I asked my husband (network engineer) if you could "retro-fit" the firmware by rolling it back to this version, but he doesn't think so. He said that if the E started out with a later version, you probably can't bring it down to an earlier version. Sorry about that.

On a happier note, we really have to get together to scrap/stamp. I'm always looking for new crafty friends.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #2901
Insane Embellisher

Default Tks Bronx Buddy!

Thank you so, so much for checking for me. I don't think I could do without my SCAL. I am so thankful that I bought it long before that crazy lawsuit. I will never buy another cricut if that means no SCALs. Made too many svg files myself, needless to add on all the free ones online. Well, I will research the others and just save up to buy one. BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow as my daughter has an appointment at Jacobi.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #2902
Die Cut Diva

You're very welcome. All I had to do was turn on my E. Good luck with your appointment. Do you ever go to the Micheal's in Pelham? Maybe we could meet up there for a crop on a Friday night. I think they still do those. Send me a PM, and we can work out a day (or another place) that works for both of us.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #2903
Insane Embellisher

We use SCAL and were lucky enough to have the correct version of Cricut. We are very careful to never upgrade the firmware on our Cricut. If our machine was ever to die, I would look into a Cameo. I think the software is similar to SCAL and it allows you to cut [U]anything [U] that you would like. I had a gal at Archiver's show me how it works and it looks pretty amazing. I understand that in addition to being able to purchase designs, and make your own designs, you can also find many free things online that people are willing to share. I have been frustrated with Cricut since they had the lawsuit. I want a machine that allows me to be able to cut what I want to cut.
katwil likes this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #2904
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll just add this - most of the refurb Expressions are an earlier version. And if you don't update you could probably use your SCAL. The refurbished Expressions are pretty awesome actually. The price is right ( you can find them usually for under $125) and they work perfectly. They do come with a one year warrenty. cricutmachine.com has them for $109 right now.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #2905
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to mastersdegree

I've been away from SCS and crafting for a while now. Happily I am back to crafting! Looking for any Cricut cartridges that aren't digital with musical notes or instruments. Any suggestions?
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #2906
Pearl-ExPert

does anyone know if a new copy SCAL software would work with an expression that has not been updated?
member #1989

Last edited by mycattracks; 10-26-2013 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: to switch order of words
Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2907
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycattracks View Post
does anyone know if a new copy SCAL software would work with an expression that has not been updated?
I believe that only SCAL 1 and SCAL 2 will work with Cricuts that haven't been updated. SCAL 3 will not work with any of them.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #2908
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
There is one cartridge named Quarter Note. It should be what you are looking for.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #2909
Rubber Obsessor

Where can I find the online PDF version of the handbooks? Thank you.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #2910
Polyshrink Goddess

I go to cricut's website. In the search feature I put in the name of the cartridge. Click on the cartridge, go to digital handbook and download the handbook. Some people use iBooks. I use good reader. I don't use handbooks much anymore. I use my iPad and read from there

Hope this helps.
lovetostamp3 likes this post.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #2911
Cardstock Collector

cricut stuck in upgrade mode when trying to install the cricut craft room. I have the some of the keyboard lite up and there are about 6-8 black boxes in the screen area. I get can't it get out of the upgrade mode.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #2912
Embossing Fanatic

Ummmm mine was stuck a while back and eventually a message popped up on my computer screen that the update failed and it let me start it again. Same thing happened but on the third try it worked. How long have you been waiting?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #2913
Cardstock Collector

is there any way to get the cricut back to its original state without the ccr update decided its not worth having
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #2914
Embossing Fanatic

I really don't know since it says not to stop it during the upgrade process. You could check with customer service, I've had decent luck with them. Sorry that I can't be of more help.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #2915
Compulsive Stamper

Can someone help me...Please? I purchased SCAL software to use with my Cricut. I need to know what type cable I use to connect my computer to my cricut so I can cut. I have a old baby Personal Cricut V1.34 compatible to SCAL prior to lawsuit. TIA
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #2916
Pearl-ExPert

You need a standard USB cable, nothing special. You can get them at the Dollar Tree. Hope that helps.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #2917
Insane Embellisher

Smile Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolin View Post
Can someone help me...Please? I purchased SCAL software to use with my Cricut. I need to know what type cable I use to connect my computer to my cricut so I can cut. I have a old baby Personal Cricut V1.34 compatible to SCAL prior to lawsuit. TIA
You can use a printer cable. I have a Baby Cricut and lose the cable that came with the old Design Studio all the time. So, I tried a printer cable and voila! You are so lucky to get that SCAL. Make sure it is version 2. You can upgrade on the craftedge site if not.
I just got an expression off of Joann site. It was a bundle deal. The cricut was green and a pre law suit addition. I took a chance and it worked with my SCAL V2. You will have so much fun creating your own cut files! Yayyyy for you
mycattracks likes this post.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #2918
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
You can use a printer cable. I have a Baby Cricut and lose the cable that came with the old Design Studio all the time. So, I tried a printer cable and voila! You are so lucky to get that SCAL. Make sure it is version 2. You can upgrade on the craftedge site if not.
I just got an expression off of Joann site. It was a bundle deal. The cricut was green and a pre law suit addition. I took a chance and it worked with my SCAL V2. You will have so much fun creating your own cut files! Yayyyy for you
I did this too now I just need time to play. mostly I want to work with MDS, have you tried yet? any tips?
member #1989

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #2919
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the help ladies. What I really want is a Cameo...but due to a ton of medical bills that will have to wait. I remembered I had the baby Cricut tucked away and took a chance that I had never upgraded the firmware. When I turned it on I was thrilled! First time my procrastination worked in my favor. LOL That never happens! I'll let you know how things turn out.
caterinafmig likes this post.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #2920
Die Cut Diva

So glad you are able to use SCAL! I have an older Expression that still works with SCAL 2, and I don't know what I'm going to do when it finally goes. I have a Cake Mini that works with SCAL 2 also, but I like the bigger machine. I don't really want a Cameo, and the eClips is way too expensive. I hope you have as much fun with your Cricut as I have with mine!