Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #241
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jenmac820

For those of you who don't have a cricut yet, there is a new cricut machine called cricut create! the retail price is $299.99 (at least here in Indiana)It is only available at michaels! It is due out the first week in august!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #242
Crimping Master

just had to share that I just got home from Michael's and they have Cricut Cartridges on sale for $40. I couldn't believe it! If you have a Michael's in your area, now is the time to pick up those cartridges you really want! (They are normally between $70-$90)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #243
Crimping Master

Default cricut

dont forget, if you buy 3 carts. at michaels..you can get the design studio free!!! now thats a deal...I did buy 1 I really didnt need just to get it...I'll use it sometime I guess or put it on ebay.
and don't let them tell you it is only in Canada because it is not...
Old 07-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #244
Cardstock Collector

Great tip!! I will have to try it
Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #245
Compulsive Stamper

Is there a Cricut cartridge that has a spaceship? I looked through most of the handbooks on cricut.com and didn't seem to find one. Did I overlook it?

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #246
Rubber Obsessor

I looked at the provo craft web site and it didn't say anything about a Cricut Create, but it did show some other new products that include a deep cut blade. If I could use this on my cricut and cut heavy duty paper, or other stuff that would be awsome. Has anyone else heard anything?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #247
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to angiesprouse Send a message via Yahoo to angiesprouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
Is there a Cricut cartridge that has a spaceship? I looked through most of the handbooks on cricut.com and didn't seem to find one. Did I overlook it?

Thanks!!
There's one on the Paper Doll Dress Up (it's in the supergirl character).

You can find me blogging at: http://allthatscrapforme.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #248
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetzW View Post
I looked at the provo craft web site and it didn't say anything about a Cricut Create, but it did show some other new products that include a deep cut blade. If I could use this on my cricut and cut heavy duty paper, or other stuff that would be awsome. Has anyone else heard anything?
This sounds interesting! I would love to hear more about it too!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #249
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to Carole4312 Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

You can already pre-order the deep cut blade and housing, I think its about $24.99 - I ordered mine from custom crops. Its a deeper blade, so that it can cut thicker chipboard.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #250
Embossing Fanatic

Default Mat reconditioning

I recondition my Cricut mats by running them through my Xyron loaded with the repositional adhesive cartridge. Mask the edges first with masking tape, then run the mat through (what used to be) sticky side down. Works like a CHARM and the images are MUCH easier to remove!

Has anyone heard anything about the cardmaker cartridge that was in development? I saw mention of it on the Cricut site, now that's gone. sab
Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #251
Embossing Fanatic

Default Cricut Create

I saw this most recently mentioned in a Michael's ad. I think they have exclusive rights to it for some period of time..... like Martha Stewart was at Michael's exclusively for a while, now AC Moore also carries her stuff. sab
Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #252
Embossing Fanatic

Default Adhesives and not-so-sticky-anymore mats

I love the Sakura Quickie Glue pens! WONDERFUL for tiny pieces. I line up my lettering on my card, then stick a post-it note on top, pick up the letters and apply the glue, then put the whole thing back down on my card. The post-its keep everything in original position.

Not-so-sticky-anymore mats are great for laying out small pieces. Since the glue is repositional and not so sticky anymore, the pieces can easily be adjusted to the desired location. I use the old mats for aligning fabric pieces and ribbon too. sab
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #253
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabknits View Post
I recondition my Cricut mats by running them through my Xyron loaded with the repositional adhesive cartridge. Mask the edges first with masking tape, then run the mat through (what used to be) sticky side down. Works like a CHARM and the images are MUCH easier to remove!

Has anyone heard anything about the cardmaker cartridge that was in development? I saw mention of it on the Cricut site, now that's gone. sab

I wondering if you are thinking of Wildcards? There is a screenshot on everythingcricket. You need to go down a ways and you will see it. Looks like a fun cartridge. Here is the site:

http://everythingcricut.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #254
Embossing Fanatic

Default Wildcards

Yes! Thanks so much for the post! sab
Old 09-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #255
Kookie Creator

In DSS, does anyone know what size to make the "top note" image from Accent Essentials to match the size of the new "top note" from SU? THANKS!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #256
Glitter Queen

Hi ladies -

I found a craigslist post where a store is selling a bunch of new cricut cartridges for $35 each - not sure if its a good deal????

http://boise.craigslist.org/art/832943235.html
Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #257
Glitter Queen

Do you happen to know if I can cut the felt that come in 8x11 pieces with my Cricut?
Old 09-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #258
Hardware Hotshot

I read on the Cricut board somewhere that if you can't sew it with a machine, you shouldn't put it in your Cricut. I did hear of girls contemplating cutting the mounted linen cloth 'paper' from CTMH ... but haven't tried for fear of wrecking the motor?!?!!?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #259
Glitter Queen

I attempted it and the blade went over the felt in the correct pattern but didn't cut. Attempted to raise and lower the blade with same results. Karen
Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #260
Embossing Fanatic

Talking

Posted this elsewhere ..but wanted to ask here too.. the Cricut Epxressions w/ the 4 Cartiridge bundle is on sale this week at A.C Moore for $349. Is that a good deal? Also what cartridges do you normally get w/ the bundle? I saw just he ABC ones.

I want to cut vinyl w/ this. Would I go through blades and mats often if I'm cutting alot of vinyl do you think? If anyone has experience with this please let me know.

Also, The software to connect to your computer that has been mentioned. Is that software just for different fonts? or can you upload on your computer and then transfer that to your Cricut and cut it?

TIA..sorry but I am new to all this...

JOY
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #261
Forum Fanatic

I think that's a good deal. The older bundle was the expression plus 2 carts for $319 or $339 or something. The original carts that came with it are Plantin Schoolbook and Accent Expressions.

I have zero experience with vinyl. I know others here have used it though.

There are two different software pkgs. Design Studio is made by Provo Craft. It allows you do manipulate and weld your shapes and fonts but you do have to have the cartridges in order to do this. SCAL is made by someone else (craftedge I think?) and it can cut any true type font plus it can cut shapes with extra software. Provo Craft does not endorse it and in fact, if you use it and then they find out, it will void your warranty. I do not have it so I don't know other info, but I do know there were issues between it and PC's design studio software.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #262
Glitter Queen

Default ?

I do want a cricut! Do you guys feel it is the best cutter to buy? I would love some advice!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #263
Embossing Fanatic

I own a Sizzix Sidekick and have access to a Cricut (original) and a Quickuts machine (DIL shares). They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

With the Cricut I've been frustrated that the smallest image I can print is 1" in one direction or another. As a card maker I find that 1" letters are a bit much for most of my designs. Other images are useful though. The consumables are a pain (blades, mats) and the cartridges (with ANY cutter) are limiting. The Cricut CAN cut windows in cards if you're not too particular about the placement. Cricut blades seem to go dull more quickly than I'd like; I've ruined many a cut with a dull blade.

The Sizzix and Quickuts dies can get expensive but I can generally count on a good, clean cut from both those machines. Both machines have a narrow cutting plate so aren't useful for cutting windows in cards. Once you have the basic setup the only consumable to buy is the cutting mat.

NONE of these machines cuts chipboard.

All of that said, once I discovered that I could recondition the Cricut mats using a Xyron machine loaded with repositional adhesive I found that I used the machine a lot more.

Yes, I could buy the newer model but it's expensive and there are enough disadvantages that I want to see other machines in action before plunking down my annual materials budget. I live in the Washington DC Metropolitan area and you'd think we'd have access to shops with equipment but in fact there is only ONE that I know of that has an AccuCut which they make available to their customers. It would be nice to see the rest of them in action to make a more informed choice. Even the scrapbook shows that come here show mostly paper and embellishments, few stamps and fewer machines. sab
Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #264
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindylouh View Post
I do want a cricut! Do you guys feel it is the best cutter to buy? I would love some advice!
I have the cricut expression and I love it. The price of cartridges has come down and you can get some good deals on ebay. The expression cuts from 1/4 inch to 11 1/2 inches. I haven't had any trouble with blades but I have only had it 4 months.

With the expression you can now buy a deep cut cartridge and blades that will cut foam, chip board and magnetic material. I just got my deeb cut cartridge yesterday so I need to read what all it can cut.

Best wishes on your decision. My scraproom doesn't have a computer so the cricut was the best option for me.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #265
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
I have the Original Cricut, which nowadays is considered the small Cricut. It took me 3 years to get one of my own. I've had the Sizzix Original and the Sidekick for several years and I do like to use them. What I find limiting about the Sizzix is that the dies are only the size you buy, no size adjusting possible. I will keep all my 200 plus dies and 2 alphabets because I still use them. The Circut is great but it doesn't have every shape in the world, LOL!! Another major point about the Sizzix is that it cuts through so many different materials, like felt, fabric, shrink plastic, thin woods, thin metals, paper and cardstock. Plust probably lots of other things I can't think of right now. I have enough basic shapes to make this a great tool to go along with my Cricut.

I've had the Original Cricut almost a year now. I did go a bit crazy and bought or received a lot of cartridges in a very short time. I have 21 cartridges right now (2 came with the machine, 2 were free as part of a promotional, and 2 were gifts, the rest were bought at sale prices). The only item I paid retail price for was the Design Software. Yes, the fact that the Cricut Original only cuts as small as 1" is frustrating, I'm a card maker and that's a large size. With the Design Software I am able to get smaller cuts, absolutely no problem. This software has expanded my machine so much. I believe this software is almost required to get the most out of your machine.

Besides downloading free cut files from others, which are designs people have created on the DS program and share with others. I have been making my own cut files. Nothing fancy, just letters and numbers sized for my classrooom calendar, but to me this makes the machine more versatile. I am also able to combine an image from one cartridge, with an image from another cartridge for a new unique shape, or single cut. (You have to own the cartridge to make this work, you can't use images from cartridges you don't have, but otherwise it's simple.) Also this software allows you to manipulate the size of any image, you can stretch it, shrink it, weld it together to make a border, make it lean left or right, etc. And even though my machine can only cut 5.5" tall, with the software you can rotate the direction and stretch the image to almost 11" tall, just like a cut on the expression. There is a mat on the software program so you design on the mat and see how your cut will look before cutting.

As for the tools, I only have the spatula and it works just fine. I have gotten a almost a years worth of cuts out of my mats, and I still haven't replaced on yet. I do use baby wipes to refresh my mats, makes them sticky again with great success. I haven't replaced a blade yet either, maybe I don't cut enough, LOL!!!

I hope this helps. Yes, the down side to the software is you have to hook to a computer, but then upside is you get so much more out of the machine. It's a trade off I guess.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #266
Rubber Obsessor

Hi...thank you for all this information! I am just getting a cricut today (the small cricut) and I can't wait! I will definitely look into getting the software after seeing your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2 View Post
Hi!
I have the Original Cricut, which nowadays is considered the small Cricut. It took me 3 years to get one of my own. I've had the Sizzix Original and the Sidekick for several years and I do like to use them. What I find limiting about the Sizzix is that the dies are only the size you buy, no size adjusting possible. I will keep all my 200 plus dies and 2 alphabets because I still use them. The Circut is great but it doesn't have every shape in the world, LOL!! Another major point about the Sizzix is that it cuts through so many different materials, like felt, fabric, shrink plastic, thin woods, thin metals, paper and cardstock. Plust probably lots of other things I can't think of right now. I have enough basic shapes to make this a great tool to go along with my Cricut.

I've had the Original Cricut almost a year now. I did go a bit crazy and bought or received a lot of cartridges in a very short time. I have 21 cartridges right now (2 came with the machine, 2 were free as part of a promotional, and 2 were gifts, the rest were bought at sale prices). The only item I paid retail price for was the Design Software. Yes, the fact that the Cricut Original only cuts as small as 1" is frustrating, I'm a card maker and that's a large size. With the Design Software I am able to get smaller cuts, absolutely no problem. This software has expanded my machine so much. I believe this software is almost required to get the most out of your machine.

Besides downloading free cut files from others, which are designs people have created on the DS program and share with others. I have been making my own cut files. Nothing fancy, just letters and numbers sized for my classrooom calendar, but to me this makes the machine more versatile. I am also able to combine an image from one cartridge, with an image from another cartridge for a new unique shape, or single cut. (You have to own the cartridge to make this work, you can't use images from cartridges you don't have, but otherwise it's simple.) Also this software allows you to manipulate the size of any image, you can stretch it, shrink it, weld it together to make a border, make it lean left or right, etc. And even though my machine can only cut 5.5" tall, with the software you can rotate the direction and stretch the image to almost 11" tall, just like a cut on the expression. There is a mat on the software program so you design on the mat and see how your cut will look before cutting.

As for the tools, I only have the spatula and it works just fine. I have gotten a almost a years worth of cuts out of my mats, and I still haven't replaced on yet. I do use baby wipes to refresh my mats, makes them sticky again with great success. I haven't replaced a blade yet either, maybe I don't cut enough, LOL!!!

I hope this helps. Yes, the down side to the software is you have to hook to a computer, but then upside is you get so much more out of the machine. It's a trade off I guess.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #267
Glitter Queen

I just purchased an Expressions online... I can't wait for it to arrive!! Subscribing... and hopefully will be able to contribute later!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #268
Total Quack

LP ..... try this thread .... http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...9#post11653319 . You might find a lot more information and get answers to your questions quickly on there.

Photography Site

Old 10-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #269
Creative Crew SU Design Team

I ordered a Cricut Expression today from that TV Infomercial thing. I'm not sure if I have made a mistake, or if it was an ok deal. I paid for the whole thing upfront (I thought the payment thing was sort of crooked)...it was 399.99 w/ shipping. Has anyone else ordered this way? Is it really going to take 4-6 weeks to get here??? (I didn't find THAT out until I had already paid for it!) Advice?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #270
Forum Fanatic

I don't know about the time it takes but IMO that's not a great price. I think someone had it for $279 with your choice of the 2 cartridges right now. AC Moore usually has a decent deal for the machine with 4 cartridges-I think about $340.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 10-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #271
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa foster View Post
I ordered a Cricut Expression today from that TV Infomercial thing. I'm not sure if I have made a mistake, or if it was an ok deal. I paid for the whole thing upfront (I thought the payment thing was sort of crooked)...it was 399.99 w/ shipping. Has anyone else ordered this way? Is it really going to take 4-6 weeks to get here??? (I didn't find THAT out until I had already paid for it!) Advice?

Yikes. That's rather expensive. Do you have the option of canceling the order?? Or can you return it when it gets there? Custom Crops has it for $279 with free shipping and your *choice* of any 2 cartridges. If there's any way you can get out of the other deal, you'd save a TON of money going this way. Just my opinion....

Photography Site

Old 10-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #272
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa foster View Post

4-6 weeks seems like quite a long time. I agree with the others that if you can cancel I would. Scrappersmusthaves.com, custom crops both have better deals and quicker shipping. If you can't cancel, know you are getting a great machine and will have a blast with it. You can always ask questions here or cricut.com (look under community). Someone is always willing to share where to get the best deals.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #273
Die Cut Diva

Default Settings for DCWV cardstock?

Can anyone tell me which settings on the Cricut will allow me to cut DCWV cardstock without getting little white tears in the cardstock? Do I have to NOT use the DS so that I can cut the shapes faster? I don't have this problem with cardstock that doesn't have a white core. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is getting very frustrating for me. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #274
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Can anyone tell me which settings on the Cricut will allow me to cut DCWV cardstock without getting little white tears in the cardstock? Do I have to NOT use the DS so that I can cut the shapes faster? I don't have this problem with cardstock that doesn't have a white core. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is getting very frustrating for me. Thanks.
I think I just came up with a way. Since the white marks are only on the top side of the paper, if I flip the shape and flip the paper, and the white marks will be on the underside of the shape. I'd still welcome any other suggestions, though.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #275
Pearl-ExPert

Hello.......I'm looking for the cartridge Accent Essentials. I can't find it listed on the Cricut website. Is this cartridge only available as included when you purchase the Cricut Expression machine?? I've seen it listed on eBay, but for a rather high price. I'm also not interested in purchasing it used, I feel that's dangerous.

Patti
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #276
Crimping Master

Default cricut

Accent Elements was in the acmoore expression bundle. So the only way you will get it is "used" but I would say that most are "new"...like when I bought mine, I didnt want all the carts. so I sold them on ebay...it wasnt in the clam case but it was new. I dont think you can really do anything to them to ruin them...just check the persons feedback and pay with paypal and you will be protected...also I always ask if the item is in working order, and keep a record of the answer in your saved mail, that way if it comes and it does not work, you have some recourse.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #277
Embossing Fanatic

I've had the same problem with the Provo papers (white core). I deepened the blade length without adding pressure, slowed the machine to speed 1. Worked pretty well. New blade works even better!

I've been known to go around the edges with matching markers (works well on all but the most intricate cuts) or to cover the entire image with a light colored dye ink pad (shades the edges but doesn't alter the color of the paper). Flipping the image didn't work well for me as I was using directional images. sab
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #278
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
Hello.......I'm looking for the cartridge Accent Essentials. I can't find it listed on the Cricut website. Is this cartridge only available as included when you purchase the Cricut Expression machine?? I've seen it listed on eBay, but for a rather high price. I'm also not interested in purchasing it used, I feel that's dangerous.

Patti

I purchased my at customcrops.com, for $39, watch for a sale
Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #279
Crimping Master

Send a message via Yahoo to MaiTi

I just purchased my Cricut, and my first layouts are on my blog!!!

I'm so freaking excited about this awesome machine!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #280
Embossing Fanatic

I got mine through Amazon, "new or used" section. Came within 2 days and in pristine condition, in original box and shrink wrapped. sab