Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #2721
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post
Has anyone tried to log into the Cricut site (community) message board today? I was on earlier and now it's mysteriously unavailable.
I know there was a lot of drama on the board last weekend. In fact one of my posts got deleted because I mentioned a "competitors product". A guy had just bought his wife a Cricut and he was fuming mad because he thought he could create and cut his own designs. I suggested he might want to look at the cameo silhouette as that might be more in line with what he wanted..... and pooph! My post was deleted.

But besides that there were several women that were extremely upset because because Provo Craft updates keep killing their machines - particularly the Imagine. And they were NOT happy.

Some company fellow named Nathan came on the board and tried to calm everyone down, but it really didn't have much effect.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that now the entire board is down. Could be a fluke, or something more sinister coming from Provo Craft.

I can get on the board with no issue at the moment.

Photography Site

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #2722
Crimping Master

I was on it about an hour ago and didn't have any problem.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #2723
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah - it's back up now. Some other ladies were getting the same "404 error" message that I was seeing too.
But it's up and running now.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #2724
Stazon Splitcoast

There were some server issues earlier. I couldn't log on either. Now all is okay.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #2725
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post
Has anyone tried to log into the Cricut site (community) message board today? I was on earlier and now it's mysteriously unavailable.
I know there was a lot of drama on the board last weekend. In fact one of my posts got deleted because I mentioned a "competitors product". A guy had just bought his wife a Cricut and he was fuming mad because he thought he could create and cut his own designs. I suggested he might want to look at the cameo silhouette as that might be more in line with what he wanted..... and pooph! My post was deleted.

But besides that there were several women that were extremely upset because because Provo Craft updates keep killing their machines - particularly the Imagine. And they were NOT happy.

Some company fellow named Nathan came on the board and tried to calm everyone down, but it really didn't have much effect.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that now the entire board is down. Could be a fluke, or something more sinister coming from Provo Craft.
Sewn- Your a braver woman than I am. I can't do that MB any more. I am not myself and become a mean girl. I am not a mean girl. I know your not either. Those women can push you to the brink. I literally get depressed going over there. I think they should take the MB down. I think it doesn't help Cricut's image at all. It's just not the same fun place we loved so much back in the day. I miss those days.

I just don't get it they allow the fighting but take down posts over a simple question. It's not like you went over there with pom's pom's telling the guy the Cricut was a horrible product. I know you wouldn't do that. You just told him it was not the right machine for his needs and gave him a direction to go.

I have ran a couple of forums. If you pulled a mean girl fight on my forum you got one warning and then you were gone. That is that. I don't know why PC runs the forum like they do. It's like they enjoy reading all the bad things about themselves and enjoy the bad press. My DH said they are probably waiting for PC to fold up so they can collect huge severance package, lol. He was joking but I keep thinking that is why, lol.

I hate PC's updates. I have always said that those updates were lobotomizing our machines. I have been lucky with the Gypsy. I swear the last update caused my Imagine to overwork and throw a screw threw my machine causing several of the wires to be severed. Luckily I have a die cutter repairman in my life. He's my DH. I do think the Imagine is gone. The wires are fixed but now my machine prints but does not cut. I am not using CCR. I am not updating again.

Well, I just sound like a grump, lol. I don't feel good. I still like the Cricut products. I just don't trust PC and Adobe Air.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams

Last edited by lylacfey; 10-12-2012 at 01:23 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #2726
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Sewn- Your a braver woman than I am. I can't do that MB any more. I am not myself and become a mean girl. I am not a mean girl. I know your not either. Those women can push you to the brink. I literally get depressed going over there. I think they should take the MB down. I think it doesn't help Cricut's image at all. It's just not the same fun place we loved so much back in the day. I miss those days.

I just don't get it they allow the fighting but take down posts over a simple question. It's not like you went over there with pom's pom's telling the guy the Cricut was a horrible product. I know you wouldn't do that. You just told him it was not the right machine for his needs and gave him a direction to go.

I have ran a couple of forums. If you pulled a mean girl fight on my forum you got one warning and then you were gone. That is that. I don't know why PC runs the forum like they do. It's like they enjoy reading all the bad things about themselves and enjoy the bad press. My DH said they are probably waiting for PC to fold up so they can collect huge severance package, lol. He was joking but I keep thinking that is why, lol.

I hate PC's updates. I have always said that those updates were lobotomizing our machines. I have been lucky with the Gypsy. I swear the last update caused my Imagine to overwork and throw a screw threw my machine causing several of the wires to be severed. Luckily I have a die cutter repairman in my life. He's my DH. I do think the Imagine is gone. The wires are fixed but now my machine prints but does not cut. I am not using CCR. I am not updating again.

Well, I just sound like a grump, lol. I don't feel good. I still like the Cricut products. I just don't trust PC and Adobe Air.
DeeAnn , I have to say, you do deserve a pat on the back for trying to be fair. You have communicated with me on choosing a machine and really just give your fair honest opinion based on your own experience with machines. And all of it makes sense.
I understand the frustrations people have with PC with the law suite - it's like taking candy away from a baby! When they had so many disappointed and lost customers, you would think they would have at least came out with their own provision for software like Sizzix eclips did.
I really would like to try one of the machines that has the print and cut ability sometime.
My Cricut Create has been a really good machine! No regrets getting it. I went back to older version on my machine and it works great as a stand alone and perfect in the CCR. I just ignore updates there and click skip when it tells me to update. I love the CCR. It has been cutting intricate designs and everything very nicely. I think possibly the reason some may have an issue with the intricacies . is because maybe they forget about making sure all settings are right. ??
I just got the Ultimate Creative Series and wow is it amazing!! You get a little sample from a ton of cartridges! Plus DVD's. Needless to say, I have been a happy camper. haha
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #2727
Pearl-ExPert

Paige, thank you! You made my day. I try to be fair. I had my barking moments and melt down too over the years. I have always said owning a die cutter is like owning a sewing machine. You have to buy the one that best fits your personality. Cricut fills a lot of niches for a lot of people.

The one big mistake PC did was they made the Cricut community into a family. Then they hurt their family. Now, they are trying to make it into a company. I do like the new CEO's approach. I don't expect him to understand the level of family that PC created. Poor man was at Logitech at the time, lol. A lot of Cricut users do love their machines and are so happy with them. A lot of us do take what PC has done personally and are really hurt by it. This is a company that went to CHA and has a big dinner ball. They have the Circle where many of the members are close to each other. This is a company that has cruises. Then they turn around and do all these screwy things. It's psychology 101 that the customers are going to feel part of a community with PC. It is understandable when PC turns like the mean drunk uncle at your wedding party your going to be extremely hurt and upset.

The Cricut itself is a great machine and a little workhorse. The cartridges are gorgeous even the little kiddie ones, lol. It's a fun machine to work with. I want the Cricut to stay in the market. If I had the money I would buy PC, seriously. My first thing I would do is bring the Coluzzle back, lol.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #2728
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I Need Your Help!

Hello ladies!
I asked a question last night and it seems it disappeared. Anyway, I used glitter paper with my Expression and it wouldn't cup through it. Any suggestions on what to do? It wasn't from Stampin' Up! but some that I bought at Crafts Direct.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #2729
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteCats View Post
Hello ladies!
I asked a question last night and it seems it disappeared. Anyway, I used glitter paper with my Expression and it wouldn't cup through it. Any suggestions on what to do? It wasn't from Stampin' Up! but some that I bought at Crafts Direct.
Doesn't sound like blade is set high enough or you have enough pressure??

paigewithpanache.blogspot.com
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #2730
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Paige, thank you! You made my day. I try to be fair. I had my barking moments and melt down too over the years. I have always said owning a die cutter is like owning a sewing machine. You have to buy the one that best fits your personality. Cricut fills a lot of niches for a lot of people.

The one big mistake PC did was they made the Cricut community into a family. Then they hurt their family. Now, they are trying to make it into a company. I do like the new CEO's approach. I don't expect him to understand the level of family that PC created. Poor man was at Logitech at the time, lol. A lot of Cricut users do love their machines and are so happy with them. A lot of us do take what PC has done personally and are really hurt by it. This is a company that went to CHA and has a big dinner ball. They have the Circle where many of the members are close to each other. This is a company that has cruises. Then they turn around and do all these screwy things. It's psychology 101 that the customers are going to feel part of a community with PC. It is understandable when PC turns like the mean drunk uncle at your wedding party your going to be extremely hurt and upset.

The Cricut itself is a great machine and a little workhorse. The cartridges are gorgeous even the little kiddie ones, lol. It's a fun machine to work with. I want the Cricut to stay in the market. If I had the money I would buy PC, seriously. My first thing I would do is bring the Coluzzle back, lol.
Vote for DeeAnn, runner up Pedro! lol She will correct PC issues haha

Honestly with anything that is made and designed with mans hands is not going to be perfect, only God can do that, and knowing that helps me ahead of time before I even buy something not to expect perfection.I know that there will be quirks or cattywompuses (heehee new word for dictionary) and will just have to work through it or not have it. And do a lot of research and know what types of problems to expect and then I'm not so =:0 over it. lol
btw- I made a card with my new Ultimate cartridge if you want to look at it.
paigewithpanache.blogspot.com I love that cart!! I still need to make more thank you cards and a baby card. So much going on it's hard to get things done!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #2731
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Hello ladies!
Sometimes those thick glitter papers just don't work well in the Cricut - especially the gritty ones. Be careful with those. The glitter can flake off and get caught in your machine, or it could damage your blade. I use the smooth glitter cardstock made by Die Cuts With a View, and it works great.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #2732
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Sometimes those thick glitter papers just don't work well in the Cricut - especially the gritty ones. Be careful with those. The glitter can flake off and get caught in your machine, or it could damage your blade. I use the smooth glitter cardstock made by Die Cuts With a View, and it works great.
I'm afraid to use that in my machine or even punches myself.
If I want glitter I cut out image I want and then run it through my Xyron sticker maker and then apply glitter.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #2733
Stazon Splitcoast

So maybe I really don't want to use glitter paper in my Cricut. I would hate to ruin it. It is really thick stuff. I also tried it in a snowflake paper punch and that wouldn't cut it either!
Thanks ladies for all the advice!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2734
Proud Fan Club Member

I would be scared spitless to put glitter paper in any one of my cutting machines. It's bad enough when there software does not work well with each other let along putting paper in them where the likelyhood of glitter coming off, Yikes!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #2735
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hello ladies!
Did you adjust the pressure and your blade or perhaps if it is really thick paper you need to get a deep cutting blade?

I have used a variety of glitter cardstocks on my Expression machines and never had a problem. There are some glitter cardstocks that have a thicker backing however, and that is when I adjust the pressure to max and the blade to 6.

I agree with the one poster that DCWV is a great glitter cardstock to use when cutting dies with your machines.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #2736
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
Did you adjust the pressure and your blade or perhaps if it is really thick paper you need to get a deep cutting blade?

I have used a variety of glitter cardstocks on my Expression machines and never had a problem. There are some glitter cardstocks that have a thicker backing however, and that is when I adjust the pressure to max and the blade to 6.

I agree with the one poster that DCWV is a great glitter cardstock to use when cutting dies with your machines.

Good luck!
I was actually looking at that paper stack the other day. I should have bought it because I was thinking that it looked a lot safer to use too when I had looked at it. I LOVE the looks of glitter paper for projects for sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #2737
Rubber Obsessor

Wasn't planning on a Cricut, but found an Expression with a cartridge at the flea market for $30 this summer. The firmware was version 2.34, thankfully. After some googling, found an old demo copy of Make The Cut prior to when they stopped working with Cricut and use that to cut my own images. I just hit the cancel button immediately after the last cut/before the X watermark cutting starts. I also read someone else just cuts power to the machine after that last cut (pulling the cord or turning off a power strip). Just posting this in case anyone else is looking for a way around the whole PC suing MTC and SCAL thing.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #2738
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhittaker23 View Post
Wasn't planning on a Cricut, but found an Expression with a cartridge at the flea market for $30 this summer. The firmware was version 2.34, thankfully. After some googling, found an old demo copy of Make The Cut prior to when they stopped working with Cricut and use that to cut my own images. I just hit the cancel button immediately after the last cut/before the X watermark cutting starts. I also read someone else just cuts power to the machine after that last cut (pulling the cord or turning off a power strip). Just posting this in case anyone else is looking for a way around the whole PC suing MTC and SCAL thing.
You did well at $30!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #2739
Polyshrink Goddess

It's OFFICIAL.
The Imagine and the Cake have been discontinued.

HERE is the link to the announcement.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #2740
Gallery Gazer

The announcement seems a little vague to me. "the current model", "we cannot comment on future products at this time"

Makes me wonder.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #2741
Polyshrink Goddess

Maybe they will come out with a new incarnation of the Imagine and Cake. From what it looks like, the original Cake was pretty much a Create. They need to come up with something....cause right now, they got nothin! I don't think they are still manufacturing the Original, Create or Expression. And the Imagine got them into a whole heap of trouble. So what does that leave? Just the Expression 2 and the Mini.
I hope they get it all worked out, because there are alot of crafters that prefer a cartridge based system. And I don't think the Mini is selling very well either.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #2742
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, the Original Cricut Cake machine is most similar to an Expression. I have one and you can actually use the E mats if you ever wanted to cut paper with it. Also, Nathan's letter indicates that they are only discontinuing the Imagine and the Cake machines. ALL other machines are still being manufactured. That includes the Original, Create, Expression, E2 and the Mini machine.

PC is under new management and IMO trying very hard to satisfy customer needs. I think unfortunately for them they bought into a lot of unsolvable issues. I have a mini machine and had issues getting it to cut with my Gypsy. I have to say though that PC forum moderator on the Cricut site reached out to me and called me at home to help me work through getting my issue corrected. They were very friendly and helpful and did resolve the problem.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #2743
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, that's good news if all those other machines are still currently being manufactured. I don't see any of them on brick and mortar store shelves anymore, and I guess I assumed all of the online offerings were just trying to clear out inventory. So YAY! The whole Cricut line is still alive and well ( well, except for Cake and Imagine).
I'd like to get a couple back-up machines - - - I have so many carts now that I'd like to know that I have many many good years left to use them, and it seems like the machines break before the carts do.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #2744
Die Cut Diva

The Cake Mini is the one that is the same machine as the Create. It's just missing the center roller, and all of the parts are "protected/food safe." I have been tempted to remove all of the food safe parts (temporarily) and replace them with regular Cricut parts so that I can bring it to crops. It would be a lot easier than lugging my E. I would only be cutting paper, after all, not toxic waste. I could use it as a Cake machine afterwards.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #2745
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies!
I have been having trouble with my Cricut Expression I. It won't cut all the way through the paper sometimes. It has done this ever since I got it. Sometimes it works very well but when I cut intricate designs it doesn't. I was using the Winter Lace cartridge last night. I cut snowflakes at 2 1/4". I trying slowing the speed down from high to low. I also put the pressure on high. And yes, I do use the multi cut button.
What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #2746
Die Cut Diva

What kind of paper are you using, and what are your settings? Have you changed your blade recently, and is your mat sticky?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #2747
Stazon Splitcoast

I am using Stampin' Up! card stock. I am wondering is I need to cahnge the depth.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #2748
Die Cut Diva

Yes, you need to have the blade set at 5 or 6 for SU cardstock. It's very heavy.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #2749
Rubber Obsessor

Even with a new blade I have to set my blade depth to 6 for SU cardstock
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #2750
Stazon Splitcoast

Scrapjenny and Shayshe - I am going to go give it a try! Thanks ladies!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #2751
Rubber Obsessor

My Cricut is yellowed and discolored. My Big Kick is also yellowing. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion on how to clean them? Thank you.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #2752
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie207 View Post
My Cricut is yellowed and discolored. My Big Kick is also yellowing. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion on how to clean them? Thank you.
Is there a smoker in the house? I would think a diluted Bleach mixture, some White Vinegar or a Magic eraser(made by Mr. Clean I think) may help??
Just had a thought , I wonder if a strong rubbing alcohol would work since it will remove certain things??
Let us know if you find something that works.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #2753
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
I have had this happen to my Serger, the plastic parts have yellowed the metal parts are fine. My serger is close to 20 years old, so I'm not surprised that it has aged. I am curious is it's cleanable though, although my serger sews fine it looks weird, LOL
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #2754
Pearl-ExPert

Hi ladies! Ok don't laugh, promise I don't have a cricut everytime I go to buy one, I rationalize something I need more. BUT, I'm finally going to be nice to myself and get one, wooohooo!
So I want to find an expression or E2 (?) And I'm hoping to find one at a decent price on black Friday. I've been searching but can't find any great deals like years passed. Has anyone heard of anywhere good?
I love all the info I have learned from you guys on this MB. I can't wait to get my hands on one (finally ) Thanks Deanne
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #2755
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy queen View Post
Hi ladies! Ok don't laugh, promise I don't have a cricut everytime I go to buy one, I rationalize something I need more. BUT, I'm finally going to be nice to myself and get one, wooohooo!
So I want to find an expression or E2 (?) And I'm hoping to find one at a decent price on black Friday. I've been searching but can't find any great deals like years passed. Has anyone heard of anywhere good?
I love all the info I have learned from you guys on this MB. I can't wait to get my hands on one (finally ) Thanks Deanne
cricutdirect.com has great sales. I bought my Pink Expression from them and have been very pleased. Right now it is average prices, but maybe they will have another good sale.
taymeag2010 on ebay seams to be a good reliable seller too.
Hth
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #2756
Die Cut Diva

The prices at Hallmark Scrapbook (Hallmark Scrapbook - The ultimate in Cricut, Sizzix and other diecut systems) are very good too. That's where I got my E a few years ago at a very good price and free shipping.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2757
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I got my second one at Cricutmachine.com last year just before black friday. I got a great deal on it. I am hoping they have a good sale again because I am looking for one for my best friend. Lately their prices have not been as good as they have been in the past, but when I did order from them I had good luck.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #2758
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you ladies! So far I have found the best deal at michaels. The expression 2 and it comes with 2 cartridges @$179
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #2759
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Thank you ladies! So far I have found the best deal at michaels. The expression 2 and it comes with 2 cartridges @$179
That is a great deal!! Is it a Black Friday sale?
The one I got a few weeks ago is the Pink Expression not the 2. But was only $139.99 without cartridges, but I didn't need them.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #2760
Die Cut Diva

You both got really good deals! Have fun chirping!