Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #2721
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh, the real reason I came here tonight was to ask if anyone knows if the svg files designed on the Silhouette can be used and cut with a Cricut though SCAL or Cricut-craft room?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #2722
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflake View Post
Here is another person that has had problems with my NEW Gypsy playing well with an older Create. They worked well together for about a month then all of a sudden the Gypsy said it was not getting data to my Cricut, then my cartridges would not work with my create. I became dead in the water, until a call to Provo Craft. After that call I was able to use the cartridges in my Cricut but not with the design ablility of my Gypsy. They sent me a new cord figuring it was a problem with the cord. NOT so! I was going to a crop at my LSS so I took my Gypsy along. It still works with their Cricut expression but not with my Create.

Provo Craft did connect me with Cricut-Craft room which will allow me to use the same functions as the Gypsy and cut on my machine. I am not sure I will ever try to update again..... as long as it (Create) works I am not going to mess with it. I still love the welding I can do with all the fonts I own.

I bought a Silhouette because of all the problems with Cricuts, now I love them both! Keeping my fingers crossed that they both will continue working!!
I have an Expression that I will not update or connect with CCR. I have SCAL on it and love my SCAL. I have a backup Expression that will never see CCR either. I do have a personal cutter that I use with my Gypsy.

I am looking at the Pazzle since they allow other software and I am not tied to a cartridge.

Has anyone tried the Pazzles yet?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #2723
Proud Fan Club Member

I never did have SCAL, but if I did I would not update either! All I have is CCR and while it might not have been my first choice "It is what it is" and as long as I can work with the last cartridges I will ever purchase, I am happy.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #2724
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessaLynn View Post
My dearest Mama was trying to do me a favor and purchased a new mat for my Expression... unfortunately, she purchased the mat for the Cricut Mini. Even though the mat size isnt recognizable, can I still use it in the Expression? I'm in Germany, so getting a new mat can be a problem (just like re-sticking).

Thanks for your help - love the tips on this forum!
No, it won't work. I am so sorry. The rollers on the machine will make the mat act wonky. A lot of us tried with the 6x6 mats when the Cricut first came out.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #2725
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnmachine View Post
Wow! The Create functionality is really all over the map. Check what your build is on the Create - it's build 1.61 that is causing all the problems. The guide (Narelle) said that build went tooooooo far for the Create. After I updated to that build my Gypsy did indeed work - it was the carts that it wouldn't read. Then one woman said her Gypsy worked with that build for about 5 cuts, and then her machine wouldn't recognize neither the Gypsy nor the carts. So, who knows?

My Gypsy works well with my baby bug, and I have ZERO intentions of updating it. So. I am frozen in time.
I have 1.54, I think. I haven't updated my Create in years. I did update my Gypsy. That makes sense about the firmware build going to far. I didn't think of that. I am a little paranoid about cutting with the Create now because everything will break, lol. I can use my carts but it's a hassle with multiple cuts and sizing. I keep thinking the Gypsy will fail since I just updated it. I am not touching CCR. I have one of the Aqua Expressions. CCR almost blew up my E. It still doesn't work right to this day even after I reverted back firmware and fixed the machine. I have the Imagine and that is pretty much useless on CCR. I miss PC when it was simple.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #2726
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewflake View Post
Oh, the real reason I came here tonight was to ask if anyone knows if the svg files designed on the Silhouette can be used and cut with a Cricut though SCAL or Cricut-craft room?
Yes to SCAL if you have the older version of 1 or 2. SCAL 3 does not work with Cricut. SCAL can cut SVG but not Studio files. Studio is Silhouette's file format.

No to CCR. It's only a cartridge base design program. It can't cut any other file format. You can buy digital images through CCR but they only will work on the Cricut.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #2727
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
No, it won't work. I am so sorry. The rollers on the machine will make the mat act wonky. A lot of us tried with the 6x6 mats when the Cricut first came out.
Thanks! Guess I'll put it on ebay, maybe someone over here has a mini
Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #2728
Crimping Master

Question Help! My Gypsy Locked Up

I hope someone here has had this problem and knows how to fix it. I updated my Gypsy and now it's locked up. I had to turn it off using the little hole in the back and when I turn it back on it never gets past the loading screen. Has anyone else had this happen? I don't use CCR and never have. I have an Expression and that's all.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.

Last edited by Iluvcards; 09-04-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #2729
Crimping Master

Quote:
I don't know if this well help you any but there is a new Cricut book out: Amazon.com: Cricut Expression: A Comprehensive Guide to Creating with Your Machine (9781423623106): Cathie Rigby: Books

I have no reviews of it yet. I have a copy on hold at the library. AboveRubieStudios also has a DVD that is excellent for beginner and expert Cricut users. I got mine at the library too.

Crossing fingers you don't have a defective machine.

You will also get off cuts if your blade is turned the wrong way. Here's a good tutorial: The Card Castle: Installing the Cricut Blade Assembly

Do you see how the blade arrow is pointing right between the arms of the blade holder. Put your blade housing exactly like that. If you just stick the blade in all willy nilly it really messes up your Cricut cuts. All Cricut users have done it one time or another. I have been using the Cricut since it first came out and I did that just recently. I thought my Cricut was broken and almost throttled the machine, lol.

One last thing if your machine is just turning off and on it might be a problem with the Cricut. There could be a loose connection. If you have a friend or family member who knows electronics they can pop your Cricut open and probably find it easily.
I bought this book on Amazon.com and it is well worth the money. It's not only very informative but also has some projects.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #2730
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Yes to SCAL if you have the older version of 1 or 2. SCAL 3 does not work with Cricut. SCAL can cut SVG but not Studio files. Studio is Silhouette's file format.

No to CCR. It's only a cartridge base design program. It can't cut any other file format. You can buy digital images through CCR but they only will work on the Cricut.
Thanks, this information helps.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #2731
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

I just downloaded the Cricut Expressioin book to my Kindle for .99 YES .99 cents!!

sweettttt
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #2732
Glitter Queen

Default Cricut Power cord not working

Help! My power cord seems to have a short in it. At least that's what I hope it is?! My machine won't start until I giggle the power cord just right. I've tried the rolling the dials 5 times thing, too. Has anyone experienced this? What to do? I'm going to order another power cord hoping that will solve the problem.
Thanks for your input--
plumdiva
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #2733
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I'm so glad that you are going to order another power cord. I've known of a couple people that were electrocuted and died, and it was with devices you wouldn't think would be dangerous. Anytime something shocks you even the slightest bit or has a short in it, please replace it. So I am so happy you are being cautious! I think that is very smart on your part!
Hope the replacement works!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #2734
Watercolor Wizard

Sorry to sound so dumb, but what is SCAL???? Thanks for your help!

MFP Speedy the Cat TV
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #2735
Forum Fanatic

SCAL is a third party program that used to work with the cricut, but Provo Craft sued them and other 3rd party program companies so they could not longer be used with it. It dramatically decreased the creative possibilities with the cricut. You can read more about SCAL here: Craft Edge and another is make-the-cut which is here: Make the Cut!™!

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 09-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #2736
Gallery Gazer

I love Make The Cut (MTC) you can use it to cut stored fonts and from JPG images, which has given me some unique cuts for birthday cards etc.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #2737
Die Cut Diva

SCAL 2 still works with the Cricut, if you haven't updated the firmware on an older machine. I'm not sure about the newer ones.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #2738
Glitter Queen

Does anyone have any updates on the Cricut Imagine? I am having a hard time finding ink cartridges. You can't even order them through Cricut. Has ProvoCraft indeed discontinued this machine? I love my Imagine it just needs new ink and I just purchased a ton of new Imagine carts.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #2739
Compulsive Stamper

SCAL 2 still works on my Cricut Expression & I have been updating the machine periodically.

I called PC customer service last week about a black ink issue I was having. CS told me the HP 97 & 98 refills are the same as the Imagine refills. I purchased the 98 refill at Staples last week & it works perfectly. Same size but just has a different label.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #2740
Glitter Queen

Thank you so much for the ink refill information.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #2741
Rubber Obsessor

If you purchase a cartridge that has been linked to a Gypsy, can you use it in your own Design Studio?

Thanks for any clarification
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #2742
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity3333us View Post
If you purchase a cartridge that has been linked to a Gypsy, can you use it in your own Design Studio?

Thanks for any clarification
Yes, you can use it in Design Studio. No problems at all.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #2743
Polyshrink Goddess

Has anyone tried to log into the Cricut site (community) message board today? I was on earlier and now it's mysteriously unavailable.
I know there was a lot of drama on the board last weekend. In fact one of my posts got deleted because I mentioned a "competitors product". A guy had just bought his wife a Cricut and he was fuming mad because he thought he could create and cut his own designs. I suggested he might want to look at the cameo silhouette as that might be more in line with what he wanted..... and pooph! My post was deleted.

But besides that there were several women that were extremely upset because because Provo Craft updates keep killing their machines - particularly the Imagine. And they were NOT happy.

Some company fellow named Nathan came on the board and tried to calm everyone down, but it really didn't have much effect.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that now the entire board is down. Could be a fluke, or something more sinister coming from Provo Craft.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #2744
Total Quack

Quote:
Has anyone tried to log into the Cricut site (community) message board today? I was on earlier and now it's mysteriously unavailable.
I know there was a lot of drama on the board last weekend. In fact one of my posts got deleted because I mentioned a "competitors product". A guy had just bought his wife a Cricut and he was fuming mad because he thought he could create and cut his own designs. I suggested he might want to look at the cameo silhouette as that might be more in line with what he wanted..... and pooph! My post was deleted.

But besides that there were several women that were extremely upset because because Provo Craft updates keep killing their machines - particularly the Imagine. And they were NOT happy.

Some company fellow named Nathan came on the board and tried to calm everyone down, but it really didn't have much effect.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that now the entire board is down. Could be a fluke, or something more sinister coming from Provo Craft.

I can get on the board with no issue at the moment.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #2745
Crimping Master

I was on it about an hour ago and didn't have any problem.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #2746
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah - it's back up now. Some other ladies were getting the same "404 error" message that I was seeing too.
But it's up and running now.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #2747
Stazon Splitcoast

There were some server issues earlier. I couldn't log on either. Now all is okay.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #2748
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Sewn- Your a braver woman than I am. I can't do that MB any more. I am not myself and become a mean girl. I am not a mean girl. I know your not either. Those women can push you to the brink. I literally get depressed going over there. I think they should take the MB down. I think it doesn't help Cricut's image at all. It's just not the same fun place we loved so much back in the day. I miss those days.

I just don't get it they allow the fighting but take down posts over a simple question. It's not like you went over there with pom's pom's telling the guy the Cricut was a horrible product. I know you wouldn't do that. You just told him it was not the right machine for his needs and gave him a direction to go.

I have ran a couple of forums. If you pulled a mean girl fight on my forum you got one warning and then you were gone. That is that. I don't know why PC runs the forum like they do. It's like they enjoy reading all the bad things about themselves and enjoy the bad press. My DH said they are probably waiting for PC to fold up so they can collect huge severance package, lol. He was joking but I keep thinking that is why, lol.

I hate PC's updates. I have always said that those updates were lobotomizing our machines. I have been lucky with the Gypsy. I swear the last update caused my Imagine to overwork and throw a screw threw my machine causing several of the wires to be severed. Luckily I have a die cutter repairman in my life. He's my DH. I do think the Imagine is gone. The wires are fixed but now my machine prints but does not cut. I am not using CCR. I am not updating again.

Well, I just sound like a grump, lol. I don't feel good. I still like the Cricut products. I just don't trust PC and Adobe Air.

Last edited by lylacfey; 10-12-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #2749
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Sewn- Your a braver woman than I am. I can't do that MB any more. I am not myself and become a mean girl. I am not a mean girl. I know your not either. Those women can push you to the brink. I literally get depressed going over there. I think they should take the MB down. I think it doesn't help Cricut's image at all. It's just not the same fun place we loved so much back in the day. I miss those days.

I just don't get it they allow the fighting but take down posts over a simple question. It's not like you went over there with pom's pom's telling the guy the Cricut was a horrible product. I know you wouldn't do that. You just told him it was not the right machine for his needs and gave him a direction to go.

I have ran a couple of forums. If you pulled a mean girl fight on my forum you got one warning and then you were gone. That is that. I don't know why PC runs the forum like they do. It's like they enjoy reading all the bad things about themselves and enjoy the bad press. My DH said they are probably waiting for PC to fold up so they can collect huge severance package, lol. He was joking but I keep thinking that is why, lol.

I hate PC's updates. I have always said that those updates were lobotomizing our machines. I have been lucky with the Gypsy. I swear the last update caused my Imagine to overwork and throw a screw threw my machine causing several of the wires to be severed. Luckily I have a die cutter repairman in my life. He's my DH. I do think the Imagine is gone. The wires are fixed but now my machine prints but does not cut. I am not using CCR. I am not updating again.

Well, I just sound like a grump, lol. I don't feel good. I still like the Cricut products. I just don't trust PC and Adobe Air.
DeeAnn , I have to say, you do deserve a pat on the back for trying to be fair. You have communicated with me on choosing a machine and really just give your fair honest opinion based on your own experience with machines. And all of it makes sense.
I understand the frustrations people have with PC with the law suite - it's like taking candy away from a baby! When they had so many disappointed and lost customers, you would think they would have at least came out with their own provision for software like Sizzix eclips did.
I really would like to try one of the machines that has the print and cut ability sometime.
My Cricut Create has been a really good machine! No regrets getting it. I went back to older version on my machine and it works great as a stand alone and perfect in the CCR. I just ignore updates there and click skip when it tells me to update. I love the CCR. It has been cutting intricate designs and everything very nicely. I think possibly the reason some may have an issue with the intricacies . is because maybe they forget about making sure all settings are right. ??
I just got the Ultimate Creative Series and wow is it amazing!! You get a little sample from a ton of cartridges! Plus DVD's. Needless to say, I have been a happy camper. haha
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #2750
Pearl-ExPert

Paige, thank you! You made my day. I try to be fair. I had my barking moments and melt down too over the years. I have always said owning a die cutter is like owning a sewing machine. You have to buy the one that best fits your personality. Cricut fills a lot of niches for a lot of people.

The one big mistake PC did was they made the Cricut community into a family. Then they hurt their family. Now, they are trying to make it into a company. I do like the new CEO's approach. I don't expect him to understand the level of family that PC created. Poor man was at Logitech at the time, lol. A lot of Cricut users do love their machines and are so happy with them. A lot of us do take what PC has done personally and are really hurt by it. This is a company that went to CHA and has a big dinner ball. They have the Circle where many of the members are close to each other. This is a company that has cruises. Then they turn around and do all these screwy things. It's psychology 101 that the customers are going to feel part of a community with PC. It is understandable when PC turns like the mean drunk uncle at your wedding party your going to be extremely hurt and upset.

The Cricut itself is a great machine and a little workhorse. The cartridges are gorgeous even the little kiddie ones, lol. It's a fun machine to work with. I want the Cricut to stay in the market. If I had the money I would buy PC, seriously. My first thing I would do is bring the Coluzzle back, lol.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #2751
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I Need Your Help!

Hello ladies!
I asked a question last night and it seems it disappeared. Anyway, I used glitter paper with my Expression and it wouldn't cup through it. Any suggestions on what to do? It wasn't from Stampin' Up! but some that I bought at Crafts Direct.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #2752
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteCats View Post
Hello ladies!
I asked a question last night and it seems it disappeared. Anyway, I used glitter paper with my Expression and it wouldn't cup through it. Any suggestions on what to do? It wasn't from Stampin' Up! but some that I bought at Crafts Direct.
Doesn't sound like blade is set high enough or you have enough pressure??

paigewithpanache.blogspot.com
Old 10-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #2753
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Paige, thank you! You made my day. I try to be fair. I had my barking moments and melt down too over the years. I have always said owning a die cutter is like owning a sewing machine. You have to buy the one that best fits your personality. Cricut fills a lot of niches for a lot of people.

The one big mistake PC did was they made the Cricut community into a family. Then they hurt their family. Now, they are trying to make it into a company. I do like the new CEO's approach. I don't expect him to understand the level of family that PC created. Poor man was at Logitech at the time, lol. A lot of Cricut users do love their machines and are so happy with them. A lot of us do take what PC has done personally and are really hurt by it. This is a company that went to CHA and has a big dinner ball. They have the Circle where many of the members are close to each other. This is a company that has cruises. Then they turn around and do all these screwy things. It's psychology 101 that the customers are going to feel part of a community with PC. It is understandable when PC turns like the mean drunk uncle at your wedding party your going to be extremely hurt and upset.

The Cricut itself is a great machine and a little workhorse. The cartridges are gorgeous even the little kiddie ones, lol. It's a fun machine to work with. I want the Cricut to stay in the market. If I had the money I would buy PC, seriously. My first thing I would do is bring the Coluzzle back, lol.
Vote for DeeAnn, runner up Pedro! lol She will correct PC issues haha

Honestly with anything that is made and designed with mans hands is not going to be perfect, only God can do that, and knowing that helps me ahead of time before I even buy something not to expect perfection.I know that there will be quirks or cattywompuses (heehee new word for dictionary) and will just have to work through it or not have it. And do a lot of research and know what types of problems to expect and then I'm not so =:0 over it. lol
btw- I made a card with my new Ultimate cartridge if you want to look at it.
paigewithpanache.blogspot.com I love that cart!! I still need to make more thank you cards and a baby card. So much going on it's hard to get things done!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #2754
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Hello ladies!
Sometimes those thick glitter papers just don't work well in the Cricut - especially the gritty ones. Be careful with those. The glitter can flake off and get caught in your machine, or it could damage your blade. I use the smooth glitter cardstock made by Die Cuts With a View, and it works great.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #2755
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Sometimes those thick glitter papers just don't work well in the Cricut - especially the gritty ones. Be careful with those. The glitter can flake off and get caught in your machine, or it could damage your blade. I use the smooth glitter cardstock made by Die Cuts With a View, and it works great.
I'm afraid to use that in my machine or even punches myself.
If I want glitter I cut out image I want and then run it through my Xyron sticker maker and then apply glitter.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2756
Stazon Splitcoast

So maybe I really don't want to use glitter paper in my Cricut. I would hate to ruin it. It is really thick stuff. I also tried it in a snowflake paper punch and that wouldn't cut it either!
Thanks ladies for all the advice!
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #2757
Proud Fan Club Member

I would be scared spitless to put glitter paper in any one of my cutting machines. It's bad enough when there software does not work well with each other let along putting paper in them where the likelyhood of glitter coming off, Yikes!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #2758
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hello ladies!
Did you adjust the pressure and your blade or perhaps if it is really thick paper you need to get a deep cutting blade?

I have used a variety of glitter cardstocks on my Expression machines and never had a problem. There are some glitter cardstocks that have a thicker backing however, and that is when I adjust the pressure to max and the blade to 6.

I agree with the one poster that DCWV is a great glitter cardstock to use when cutting dies with your machines.

Good luck!

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #2759
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
Did you adjust the pressure and your blade or perhaps if it is really thick paper you need to get a deep cutting blade?

I have used a variety of glitter cardstocks on my Expression machines and never had a problem. There are some glitter cardstocks that have a thicker backing however, and that is when I adjust the pressure to max and the blade to 6.

I agree with the one poster that DCWV is a great glitter cardstock to use when cutting dies with your machines.

Good luck!
I was actually looking at that paper stack the other day. I should have bought it because I was thinking that it looked a lot safer to use too when I had looked at it. I LOVE the looks of glitter paper for projects for sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #2760
Rubber Obsessor

Wasn't planning on a Cricut, but found an Expression with a cartridge at the flea market for $30 this summer. The firmware was version 2.34, thankfully. After some googling, found an old demo copy of Make The Cut prior to when they stopped working with Cricut and use that to cut my own images. I just hit the cancel button immediately after the last cut/before the X watermark cutting starts. I also read someone else just cuts power to the machine after that last cut (pulling the cord or turning off a power strip). Just posting this in case anyone else is looking for a way around the whole PC suing MTC and SCAL thing.