Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2561
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctab View Post
For those that have the Expression 2, what paper setting do you put it on to cut Stampin' Up paper?
I use the heavy paper setting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #2562
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayshe View Post
My girlfriends daughter was given the Cricut Imagine for Christmas and it doesn't work. She has been trying to call Provo Craft and can't get through.
I notice there isn't much talk about the Imagine. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
Tell her to call again. I called thursday and friday both times got right through with only about a 10 minute hold time.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #2563
Pearl-ExPert

after owning the gypsy for 2????? years I first got to use it today to make a sign for work. after watching some you tube videos on company time I was able to design the sign and using stuff from my stash I made up 2 signs. now that I had a chance to use it I want to know what happens if you design something using a cart you don't own? can you buy it online or do you have to get it from a store and load it to the gypsy?
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #2564
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

gypsy question here ok so say I design something on the go then go back to it a week or so later and want to know what cartridge the image is from. I highlight it and then go to the keyboard but it is just the first cart I own by alphabetical order not the one the image belongs to. Does this make sense to anyone or am I babbling?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #2565
Glitter Guru

For the gypsy you have to buy it from the store but through CCR you can buy digital online

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycattracks View Post
after owning the gypsy for 2????? years I first got to use it today to make a sign for work. after watching some you tube videos on company time I was able to design the sign and using stuff from my stash I made up 2 signs. now that I had a chance to use it I want to know what happens if you design something using a cart you don't own? can you buy it online or do you have to get it from a store and load it to the gypsy?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #2566
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
The Imagine carts will not work with the regular Cricut but will work with the Expression 2 to cut images only. The imagine cartridges are a little smaller and need a special port. The E2 comes with two cartridges ports.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #2567
Rubber Obsessor

Can someone tell me exactly how to cut fabric applique with cricut expression? I've seen many tutorials on youtube and they all say different things. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you so much for any advice. ♥
Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #2568
Insane Embellisher

Default Craft glassine and the Cricut

I just bought some of Tim Holtz's craft glassine and would love to use it with my Cricut. Has anyone tried it? I don't have the deep cut blade housing. Wonder if I'd need that...

Thanks for any tips!

Cheers,
Julie
Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #2569
Rubber Obsessor

When I use my Cricut to cut fabric this is what I do. First I wash it to get the sizing out of it. Dry it. (don't use fabric softoner it leaves a coating) Then I iron it. On the back of it I use Fusable web or Wonder Under. You can get it at Walmart Michaels Hobby Lobby in the fabric department. Using a regular blade. I put the blade on 5 speed low and pressure med. I hope this helps. I have never had a problem. Just remember slow is better.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #2570
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimarinemom2006 View Post
When I use my Cricut to cut fabric this is what I do. First I wash it to get the sizing out of it. Dry it. (don't use fabric softoner it leaves a coating) Then I iron it. On the back of it I use Fusable web or Wonder Under. You can get it at Walmart Michaels Hobby Lobby in the fabric department. Using a regular blade. I put the blade on 5 speed low and pressure med. I hope this helps. I have never had a problem. Just remember slow is better.
Thank you for the advice. I was told to put the material side down on the mat because it will cut thru the backing before the fabric and the fabric won't fray or anything. have you done it that way?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #2571
Rubber Obsessor

I have not done that before and didn't have any problems. Make sure your mat still has a lot of stick to it. I will have to try that. Like anything else try it a few different ways and see what works for you. Also make sure your backing is really on good to your fabric. It tends to peel off sometimes. Just follow the directions on back of the package.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #2572
Kookie Creator

Default Cricut help

DH bought me the original cricut way back when. It was a lovely gesture, but everytime I try to use it I am dissapointed, to the point I am ready to let it go. Is there any value in the original? With all the new ones out there, do folks still use the 6x12 format? I also saw that the George cart was selling on ebay for $33, seems like alot, and the Bags,tags, boxes was on there used for $91, holey moley. Not sure if I should sell it on here, or even if it would sell. I sure could find a use for the money, like new stamps, and dies.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #2573
Glitter Guru

Tags bags and more is definitely one people still look for nad it has been retired for awhile $91 sounds crazy though lol. I sold my little bug no carts just mats and the green rolling bag for $75 this April. Not on here on craigslist as I thought the shipping would be more than the machine was worth but people always want to start somewhere. It doesn't hurt to try but I would sell george with the machine and that will give both more value. I got a Gypsy and E2 this year so needed George still. Good luck and I am sorry it wasn't for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKMom View Post
DH bought me the original cricut way back when. It was a lovely gesture, but everytime I try to use it I am dissapointed, to the point I am ready to let it go. Is there any value in the original? With all the new ones out there, do folks still use the 6x12 format? I also saw that the George cart was selling on ebay for $33, seems like alot, and the Bags,tags, boxes was on there used for $91, holey moley. Not sure if I should sell it on here, or even if it would sell. I sure could find a use for the money, like new stamps, and dies.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #2574
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry to hear that the Cricut didn't work out for you. I have the original one like you and just got an Expressions for Christmas. I wouldn't part with either of them. I've also made fair amount of money selling my stuff I have made using it so maybe that's why. If your going to sell it I would sell it with a cartridge. You can buy them for $50.00 for a refurbished one at cricutmachine.com. E bay is kind of high on many things then you have to pay a fee for listing items. I would try Craigslist or word of mouth first. I've had several people wanting to buy my baby bug for $50.00 but I just can't part with it.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #2575
Cardstock Collector

Some of the Cricut fonts and shapes are small or thin-lined. I have used the following adhesives with great success:
SU 2-way glue pen
Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #2576
Embossing Fanatic

Does anyone know about the Cricut Scoring Tip & Housing? My understanding is that it will work with the new TBB&M 2. I don't plan on buying the cart as I have the first cart & hardly use it. Just think it's odd that there is no video showing how this Scoring Tip product works with the cart and why PC Cricket doesn't have a bigger presence at the CHA 2012.

Best, Mollyz
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #2577
Rubber Obsessor

I seen something on a scoring blade earlier today. I need to look it up to see what I can find. I'm thinking it's for making and scoring boxes and stuff like that.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #2578
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I seen something on a scoring blade earlier today. I need to look it up to see what I can find. I'm thinking it's for making and scoring boxes and stuff like that.
I saw the product on CricutMachnine.com, they said exactly what you stated "the scoring blade' was made for use with TBB&M 2 cartridge. Just wish they had a video or illustration on how it works.

Thanks, Mollyz
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #2579
Embossing Fanatic

I'm so psyched. I just received the 'Ultimate Creative Series Sampler' cartridge. No video with it but I only plan to use it to create cards. Now I have an abundunce of butterflies, birds, & cupake images lol. It seems these 3 images appear on most of the cricket carts. That aside, there are sooooooo many images I don't have cause I don't have that many carts. I'm hoping this will be the last one I purchase for a long, long time. Unfortunately (for me), I'm not a creative person per se. I have no inspiration/thoughts of my own. It takes me forever just to decide on the paper. Browsing through the images, I do have an idea for using the fan and now I can 'create a critter'. YT here I come.
Best,
Mollyz
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #2580
Compulsive Stamper

Location: Home is where the heart is - in my fabulous new stamping room!
Default About that Cricut PDF inventory sheet... ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappin' Happy View Post
You can also get on Cricut.com and pull up a sample sheet for your cartridge. I like to store stamps, punches, etc in a binder so I can see what I have when I'm looking for something. On cricut.com you can go to products and then cartridges and pick either a font or shape category. Then it lets you pick the cartridge you want and on the right-hand side there is a box with some options in it. Pick cartridge sample and it will bring up a PDF file that you can save that has everything on the cartridge. I don't think it works for the Disney ones but all the regular ones should have it.

And like someone else said, the newsletter is great! They give you tips for using your machine and different ideas for the cartridges. They also include a project. The web site also lets you see past newsletters, I think.

Can you tell I LOVE my Cricut???

Where do you see that PDF sample sheet? I too have everything in a binder for quick reference. But I haven't added my Cricut cartridges because I don't have a way of showing all that each cartridge can do.

I'm not feeling the love for this BUG yet I'm still trying to figure it out

Please check out my gallery ;)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #2581
Rubber Obsessor

If you go here - Cricut® cartridges - there are PDF links under "handbook" for most of the carts.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #2582
Embossing Fanatic

Default For Canadian repositioning of mat

Just wanted to let the Canadians know that when your mat starts to become not so sticky, you can buy Krylon Easy Tack and lightly spray is on.
Cover your edges so the rollers on your machine don't become sticky. Works like a charm! Found it at a Zeller's store if your believe that!!! . Anyway, just thought I'd pass the information along!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #2583
Pearl-ExPert

I've just changed my cutting blade and my machine is cutting quite well but I always worry that I haven't put the blade in the housing in the right position, I know the arrow has to go to the front but should it be level with where the join in the housing is or just to the left as it looks on the diagram in the manual.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #2584
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyz View Post
I saw the product on CricutMachnine.com, they said exactly what you stated "the scoring blade' was made for use with TBB&M 2 cartridge. Just wish they had a video or illustration on how it works.

Thanks, Mollyz
I found a blog that explained how to use this score blade. You can only use it for the tbb&m 2 cart. from how I read it, and they will eventually make more carts you can use this for? Anyway she goes on to say as an example:
The shift base of the milkcarton for example is actually the scoring feature. You would replace your cutting blade with the score blade for this part. You would then unload your mat, replace the blade with the cutting blade, load your mat and it would return to the place you scored, then cut the Base milk carton. I sure hope the handbook that comes with the cart explains each one for me.

Last edited by booklvr; 02-21-2012 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #2585
Stampin' Fool

Question

Has anyone used the Scotch restickable glue sticks to resticky their cricut mats? Just saw a tutorial on youtube. Might have to try it! Just wondered if anyone had already tried it.
Episode 7 (remake): Resticking "new" cricut mats for use with your Imagine and Expression - YouTube
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #2586
Glitter Queen

Default restickying Cricut mats

I have used the Zig wide chisel tip glue. It is a blue tube with a white cap. wash your mat with dish soap, be sure to scrape off any bits of paper and dry it Then go over the mat, inside the border of the actual cutting surface with the glue and let dry. It will be tacky to the touch once dry and will hold the clear vinyl cover. Works like a charm.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #2587
Pearl-ExPert

I used Aleenes´s tack-it over and over glue for my mat and that works great as long as you clean the mat well beforehand. I bought it from Michaels and you mix it with water and put it on with a sponge taking care to keep the edges clean. There is a youtube about it somewhere.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #2588
Glitter Queen

Smile Cricut 12 x 12 Cutting Mats new vs old

Hi,
I am wondering what the difference is between the new cutting mats that Cricut is selling and their old style. I see the old style going for a bunch of money on ebay, and wondering why. Is there something less desireable about the new one?
Thanks!
Annette
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #2589
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to Jill with a G
Default Shannon aka AZShann is Amazing!

Not too long ago, Shannon showed a card with beautiful cuttings from her Cricut. She used Paper Lace cartridge. I asked her how she got such intricut cuttings without tearing the images. She replied a great answer, and then went on to really show me what settings and pressures she used! She even told me what kind of cardstocks she used--because she uses more than one! I was so impressed and blown away with her detailed answers and she even showed me her cuts in a Picassa link!
Splitcoast is wonderful because all you have to do is ask someone a question and our wonderful Splitcoast people --and Shannon is one of them--go all out to help! What a place! I don't know many websites like this where everyone is so nice and helpful!
Shannon outdid herself to help little ol' me! I so appreciate it, and want everyone to know how great our Splitcoast people are!
Thanks Shannon, you are the greatest!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2590
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Hi,
I am wondering what the difference is between the new cutting mats that Cricut is selling and their old style. I see the old style going for a bunch of money on ebay, and wondering why. Is there something less desireable about the new one?
Thanks!
Annette
The only difference that I know of is that the newer mats do not stick as well. The newer mats I bought only were sticky enough for the first few uses. Pitiful!!! I've seen this mentioned somewhere on this site before, and if I remember right, they started making them differently to either be used on both the imagine and regular cricuts, or because people were having severe allergic reactions to them, causing serious asthma attacks. Maybe someone here knows more about it. Supposedly, you can somehow activate the stickiness in the newer mats by getting them wet and rubbing across them with the water with your hand. You might also check the cricut message board. Cricut Forums I've read info about this topic on that site also.
I'm just going to try to resticky the ones I have. There are videos on youtube and lots of posts on this site and others about making mats sticky again using different types of glues or sprays.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #2591
Sassy Shani

Hi there. I am finally busting out my Expressions 2 that I got from Santa. Can someone please tell me if I can cut out a mirror image. I am trying to make a name frame using vinyl and I need the adhesive to be on the TOP of the letters as I am adhering the letters to the bottom of the glass.

YIKES....did that make sense? LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #2592
Rubber Obsessor

After reading and reading your post I'm confused even more. When I do my name frames I just put the vinyl on the outside of the frame (on top the glass) I just use the sticky back on the vinyl. Now when I put the letters on the inside I just attach it to the cardstock or whatever I'm using for the background. I also use just regular masking tape from the dollar store. I don't use the expensive transfer sheets unless I get it for free. Why do you want to stick it like the way your explaining?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #2593
Sassy Shani

To me it looks like the last name is on the bottom of the glass and the first names are on the top of the glass???

Quote:
After reading and reading your post I'm confused even more. When I do my name frames I just put the vinyl on the outside of the frame (on top the glass) I just use the sticky back on the vinyl. Now when I put the letters on the inside I just attach it to the cardstock or whatever I'm using for the background. I also use just regular masking tape from the dollar store. I don't use the expensive transfer sheets unless I get it for free. Why do you want to stick it like the way your explaining?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #2594
Stampin' Fool

Default Any answer to this question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanon View Post
Hey there. This might be a really dumb question, but what is the difference between the original Expressions and the Expressions 2?
I have been out of the crafting loop and I'm looking to get back into it. I have the smaller Cricut and I'm thinking I want Santa to bring me the bigger one. Well, now there are TWO of the bigger ones. YIKES!
I would like to know whether it's worth getting the E2 or just getting the original expression. I have the personal cricut.

What's the difference between E and E2?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #2595
Insane Embellisher

The E2 is the first Cricut I've owned, so I can't legitimately answer that, I can only say the lady at my LSS who gave a class on the E2 felt it was easier than the regular E and I think it's easy to operate.
Everything is on the screen and I love how I can put small scraps of paper down and decide exactly where and how big it will cut. I don't know if the regular E is this flexible, but you can adjust size from 1/4" to 1/10" and do inches, centimeters or millimeters. You can also save paper settings for types of paper you frequently cut, ie Bazill cardstock, Vellum, etc.
I would Google some of the videos and you'll find blogs showing the features of the E2 and talking about the differences. Also this link: www.cricut.com/expression2, or Cricut® Classroom Video Library which is my favorite, and click on the video for the E2 Anniversary Edition. It's a very comprehensive video for the E2, and well done by ProvoCraft.
Good luck with your decision.......
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #2596
Glitter Queen

Does anyone know whether you can resell Cricut Design Studio? I want to sell my Cricut "empire" and get a Gazelle. I am finding that the Cricut is soo restrictive and I want to be able to use more then just the carts. I just bought the Design Studio and loaded it on my computer but am not sure, since I have kept the serial information for Design Studio if it can be used when I sell it?
HELP! LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #2597
Die Cut Diva

Default Cricut Vinyl

So the Cricut vinyl sticks to any smooth painted wall? I cut my letters/design and its ready to stick on the wall. I dont need adhesive or anything?

Bonnie
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #2598
Mad Swapper

Are you using the Transfer Tape? I'm not sure if it helps it stick or not. I put some on a smooth door and it's been there over a year. I didn't use the transfer tape.

I was going to put some on a Terra Cotta plant pot but I was afraid the vinyl would come off when it got wet. Does anyone know if it stays on when it gets rained on?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #2599
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalaKitty View Post
Are you using the Transfer Tape? I'm not sure if it helps it stick or not. I put some on a smooth door and it's been there over a year. I didn't use the transfer tape.

I was going to put some on a Terra Cotta plant pot but I was afraid the vinyl would come off when it got wet. Does anyone know if it stays on when it gets rained on?
I've never heard of transfer tape? Where do I get it? Is it a Cricut product?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #2600
Mad Swapper

Transfer Tape is put on the vinyl to help keep the vinyl from stretching or twisting or tearing. I wish I'd known about it before I did my bedroom door. I've done vinyl decorating both with and without the transfer tape and it's 100% easier with the tape. I bought mine from Oh My Vinyl.