Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #2401
Glitter Queen

there are squares on the george cart
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #2402
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird Moon View Post
there are squares on the george cart
I was hoping that there was a way to cut the 12 x 12 sheet into 4 pieces.

Bonnie
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #2403
Glitter Queen

use paper cutter
Old 09-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #2404
Glitter Queen

you can only cut up to a certain thickness of chipboard with a Cricut. Check the forum on their website for the thickness limit.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #2405
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird Moon View Post
use paper cutter
Agree. It would be 10 times faster to just make 2 or 3 cuts on the chipboard rather than loading them in the cricut, doing multi cuts (since it's chipboard), etc.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 09-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #2406
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm having a difficult time with my pressure and speed working with my paper. I'm using SU cardstock and using the Create a Critter cartridge. First, my paper is not sticking. I cleaned my mat, and even used the Slice repositional spray on it, and my paper is sliding after using the mat a few times. The blade is also tearing my paper when trying to do small cuts. I'm using med speed and med pressure. I tried using a low pressure and mulit cut, but the same thing happened. Do I need to really slow it down and do a high pressure? Maybe different paper that isn't so fiberous works better? The hippo tail and giraffe legs are my biggest challenges right now. I haven't tried the other animals yet because I'm frustrated. Any ideas? TIA

Sometimes the unexpected can turn into life's biggest joys...

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #2407
Gallery Gazer

It might partly be that your mat isn't sticky enough. Here's the method I came up with and works great: Making Cricut Mat Sticky Again!

I pretty much ONLY use Stampin Up cardstock! I keep my blade depth on 6, pressure Max, and speed high. For smaller for intricate cuts I slow it down to medium. How old is your blade? Do you cut a lot of glittery paper, which will dull your blade quicker? Also, I have to admit that I really thing that some cuts just can't be cut out really small.

I hope that helps! Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #2408
Swapper of the Month December 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
It might partly be that your mat isn't sticky enough. Here's the method I came up with and works great: Making Cricut Mat Sticky Again!

I pretty much ONLY use Stampin Up cardstock! I keep my blade depth on 6, pressure Max, and speed high. For smaller for intricate cuts I slow it down to medium. How old is your blade? Do you cut a lot of glittery paper, which will dull your blade quicker? Also, I have to admit that I really thing that some cuts just can't be cut out really small.

I hope that helps! Good Luck!
Hi Laurie
Really? Wow, I was amazed to read that you only use SU! cardstock on your Cricut. All colors? Even the Whisper White? I find it so hard to believe because every time I try, the paper sticks to the mat (old or new) and just shreds when I try to pick it up from the mat.
I guess I need to figure out what the difference is!
Thanks so much. I am going to stay optimistic that I will be able to SU! CS too since I have so much!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #2409
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you Laurie! I will try your method to make my mats sticky again. I have to admit I've never changed my blade since I've had my cricut, which has been a few years. I don't use the bug a lot, but the blade has never been changed. Yep, even have cut glittered paper in the past as well. I'm working on baby shower decorations so I want everything to look perfect. Ok, off to try again!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #2410
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Agree. It would be 10 times faster to just make 2 or 3 cuts on the chipboard rather than loading them in the cricut, doing multi cuts (since it's chipboard), etc.
I dont think my paper cutter will cut through chipboard. I need the cuts very straight because I am using them for cookbook covers. I think I will see if Office Depot will cut them in their copy center.

Bonnie
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #2411
Glitter Queen

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felie68 View Post
I'm having a difficult time with my pressure and speed working with my paper. I'm using SU cardstock and using the Create a Critter cartridge. First, my paper is not sticking. I cleaned my mat, and even used the Slice repositional spray on it, and my paper is sliding after using the mat a few times. The blade is also tearing my paper when trying to do small cuts. I'm using med speed and med pressure. I tried using a low pressure and mulit cut, but the same thing happened. Do I need to really slow it down and do a high pressure? Maybe different paper that isn't so fiberous works better? The hippo tail and giraffe legs are my biggest challenges right now. I haven't tried the other animals yet because I'm frustrated. Any ideas? TIA

Don't give up on this cart -- it's about my favorite one. Try cutting some of the easier animals: the skunk, the frog, the turtle is a great one....and see what papers you have trouble with. The giraffe legs are skinny and mine do tear if the giraffe is too small. Other animals I have had trouble with are the monkey and it's tail, the lion and it's tail and legs, and yes, the hippos tail. But I have found if I make the animals a little larger, they cut better. I think if you try cutting the turtle (2 inches is a good start) with your 'regular' paper, you will see if it tears. If the needle is bad or the paper not the best thickness, the turtle will give you a heads up. I have used scrapbook paper from Dollar Tree and with the bigger cuts, they come out great. Don't get too frustrated with this cart and some of the cuts...with practice you will have a great time with Create-A-Critter !

Good Luck

Mac
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #2412
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnf1n View Post
I dont think my paper cutter will cut through chipboard. I need the cuts very straight because I am using them for cookbook covers. I think I will see if Office Depot will cut them in their copy center.

Bonnie
IME cricut cuts aren't perfect (even the squares) so that may not have worked for you anyway. I have an old carl cutter that I don't like but it works perfectly for chipboard so I kept it. A rotary cutter (like for quilting) and metal ruler would work too.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #2413
Insane Embellisher

buying a cricut tonight after school i need this....LOL

Carla *~
Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #2414
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
Don't give up on this cart -- it's about my favorite one. Try cutting some of the easier animals: the skunk, the frog, the turtle is a great one....and see what papers you have trouble with. The giraffe legs are skinny and mine do tear if the giraffe is too small. Other animals I have had trouble with are the monkey and it's tail, the lion and it's tail and legs, and yes, the hippos tail. But I have found if I make the animals a little larger, they cut better. I think if you try cutting the turtle (2 inches is a good start) with your 'regular' paper, you will see if it tears. If the needle is bad or the paper not the best thickness, the turtle will give you a heads up. I have used scrapbook paper from Dollar Tree and with the bigger cuts, they come out great. Don't get too frustrated with this cart and some of the cuts...with practice you will have a great time with Create-A-Critter !

Good Luck

Mac
Ironically, the critters you mentioned having the biggest trouble with are the ones I need! lol We are doing a Noah's Ark theme baby shower and we are trying to make all the animals match. I increased the speed and pressure and it was much better. I make my mats sticky again and that was big help too! The giraffe, well, that one may not be worth the trouble. He's adorable but those legs are killing me!! I'll post a picture when I'm done. Thank you everyone for all your help!!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #2415
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlamadden View Post
buying a cricut tonight after school i need this....LOL
You are going to love it! I bought mine about 10 months ago and have never been sorry! Just bought a new cartridge for it last weekend.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #2416
Die Cut Diva

I love my Cricut E, my original machine so much that I now have a Cake, Imagine, and Create (for travel). Yikes!

BTW, does anyone know what the difference is between the Expression 2 they are having on HSN soon versus the one they released earlier this year? The adverts I see for it make it sound like it is "new".
Old 09-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #2417
Rubber Obsessor

I can't wait to see the new machine. HSN is going to lauch it at midnight tonight.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #2418
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesh4rk View Post
I love my Cricut E, my original machine so much that I now have a Cake, Imagine, and Create (for travel). Yikes!

BTW, does anyone know what the difference is between the Expression 2 they are having on HSN soon versus the one they released earlier this year? The adverts I see for it make it sound like it is "new".
It sounds like they removed two of the original cartridges and are enclosing two recent releases. And, sounds like they have also made it easier to move the blade around for cutting. I'm hoping that's an upgrade for the current E2.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #2419
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know if the Create is still available in stores? All the "baby bugs" that I see in the stores are the "Personal Electronic Cutter" but don't have the extra buttons the Create does. I've found it on amazon, but was hoping to find it on sale somewhere.

As a side note - has anyone heard anything new about when the Cricut Mini is supposed to be out?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #2420
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to KatieMacScrap

I was watching HSN last week - nearly purchased the Imagine bundle they were offering. But each time I went to hit the submit key, I kept thinking about the limitations. Just another machine where I would have to rely on their art - pay top dollar for the art and not being able to really express myself - i.e., create my own paper designs. Was I wrong? It was a seemingly amazing deal - but again, only if you have the money to spend on the carts to get the art. Did anyone buy this? Can you make your own paper designs on it?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #2421
Polyshrink Goddess

To PinkGeek - I don't know when the Mini will be released, maybe around Thanksgiving, hard to tell. I always add 6 to 9 months for new machines, although I haven't bought a new machine since the Gypsy

To KatieMacScrap - From what you wrote, I would suggest you not purchase a Cricut product. It is a cartridge driven system, you are dependent on the released images. As for the Imagine, again, it's cartridge driven, the paper designs are cartridge driven, but I believe you can adjust the colors. There was a lot of RGB codes being discussed and shared after the Imagine was launched. I don't have this machine either.

Hope this helps
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #2422
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

ok, so yesterday, I finally had time to get out my G. I connected it to my Cricut and NOTHING. Yes, there is power, and yes the G is updated etc.

What was missing or what was I doing wrong? My C acted like the G wasn't even there.

Thanks ladies!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #2423
Glitter Queen

good for you Katie, resistance is hard, I've never bought anything on there as I dont normally watch. alot of stuff I wanted too. here is my expereince just with plain cricut and a big shot. ......after years and years of not buying ALL the toys my friends and internet friends did this happened.....I went to a crop got to use a cricut and was hooked. months went buy, bought one of the original machines at half price. one cartridge.....months before I bought another cart and then started to use it....only to find it actually was time consumming for me. I could stamp and do a title faster than cut out, pick off the sticky mat, add adhesive and line those letters up. of course online everyone going on and on about the alterations dies and nesties and such.... well go out and buy the big shot. once again have to buy more and more extra things. how many of one thing does a person use anyway? a Flower or a birdcage??? and with some of these things you end up using things to justify buying them, I am starting to appreciate more and more doing it the time honored way--make it yourself. I was at a crop recently where at least two of the women constantly used their cricuts for everything on the pages. they got no more pages done than I did and frankly all the cutouts were maybe layered but no personal touches on them..... that is where the artistry come ins for me. I want to ink the edges make my own 3-d flowers etc. if I wanted some one elses artwork I would buy pre-made pages like anther one did in that group. oh I take that back.......shhe would then put stickles all over EVERY page. AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

I dont want to knock any product or machine. and certainly not my fellow stamper?scrappers , everything has its use but please use your creativity along with it. when the extrasfor the "TOYS" cost as much as they do is it really worth it?

Last edited by Blackbird Moon; 10-03-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #2424
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

It sounds like the cord or ports use an air can and clean them then make sure it is totally in both devices. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorkay View Post
ok, so yesterday, I finally had time to get out my G. I connected it to my Cricut and NOTHING. Yes, there is power, and yes the G is updated etc.

What was missing or what was I doing wrong? My C acted like the G wasn't even there.

Thanks ladies!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #2425
Rubber Obsessor

In case anyone is looking for an awesome price on the little Cricut and Gypsy, this site (owned by Best Buy) has the bundle of both for $80!

Deal of the Day | Electronics Deal of the Day | Daily Deals | CowBoom
Old 10-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #2426
Die Cut Diva

I recently purchased a pumpkin box SVG pattern for use in my Cricut Expression. The finished project has many layers ... the box base, eye, nose, mouth, teeth, stem, etc. When I import the svg file into my SCAL software, all the pieces are on one pattern. Is there a way to separate the different pieces so that I can cut them individually in the different card stock colors I want to use?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #2427
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know if this is the best way but I had something similar and I opened the file, deleted the pieces I didn't want and then saved the layout with the name and color (Like: orange pumpkin). I reopened the file and did the same thing for the next color and saved that layout as well (black pumpkin).
I would love to hear if there is a quicker way.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #2428
Polyshrink Goddess

I've tried various keywords to search an answer for this question but had no luck so I apologize if it's been asked/answered.
I have a cricut create and wanted to use the "stretch your imagination" cartridge to make basically a rectangular mat (using the shadow feature to make the mat and the frame is a bit fancy, not just a plain rectangle but you get the picture)-I need it to be about 6 inches long. I've tried cutting in landscape and in portrait but it just doesn't want to cut the rectangle with the long edge down the 12 inch side of the mat. I just keep getting a message that the "character won't fit". Seems like there should be a way to have the character rotated 90 degrees so it will fit lengthwise on the mat. Am I just trying to do something that the cartridge won't do? I mean, I imagine if you wanted to make a giant 8 inch word you'd have to have each letter printed longways on the mat.....
I hope my question makes sense!!
thanks in advance for any tips!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #2429
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinHappyInCT View Post
I recently purchased a pumpkin box SVG pattern for use in my Cricut Expression. The finished project has many layers ... the box base, eye, nose, mouth, teeth, stem, etc. When I import the svg file into my SCAL software, all the pieces are on one pattern. Is there a way to separate the different pieces so that I can cut them individually in the different card stock colors I want to use?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
Try this. Select all. Right click and choose ungroup. Then you should be able to drag the different elements off. Or if that doesn't work click on break apart and drag elements off. There's a difference between the two but I can't remember exactly what it is. I don't normally use SCAL (I use MTC).

Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #2430
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Try this. Select all. Right click and choose ungroup. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayshe
I don't know if this is the best way but I had something similar and I opened the file, deleted the pieces I didn't want and then saved the layout with the name and color (Like: orange pumpkin) ....
Thanks, ladies ... I got it to work!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #2431
Rubber Obsessor

Default Got my Deal of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgeek View Post
In case anyone is looking for an awesome price on the little Cricut and Gypsy, this site (owned by Best Buy) has the bundle of both for $80!

Deal of the Day | Electronics Deal of the Day | Daily Deals | CowBoom
Thank you for letting me know about the deal of the day. I ordered the bundle and it arrived yesterday. The shipping was excellent and veryfast. My Gypsy did not work, but I called Provo Craft and they are sending a new Gypsy. The customer service was very good. I had to hold for awhile but it wasn't that bad. I am looking forward to getting the Gypsy replaced. It was not Cowboom's problem, just once in a while things things get sent out and don't work. I was happy Provo Craft is making it right.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #2432
Compulsive Stamper

I am looking for thr I Love You a Latte cartridge. Anyone know where I might find one to purchase?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #2433
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Jane View Post
I am looking for thr I Love You a Latte cartridge. Anyone know where I might find one to purchase?
Walmart usually carries the Lite cartridges, have you tried there? Provo Craft may get more in stock, it's not that old. Good luck, it's a fun one, I use it a lot for my daughter and friends.......
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #2434
Rubber Obsessor

I finally took the plunge and ordered a Cricut Expressions thru Walmart. I paid 248 for the machine, tools, spatula, 2 cartridges and the Design Studio. Is that a good price? I hope I didn't make a mistake in getting it with the Design Studio since after reading the thread it doesn't look like it will be of much use, since you can't cut with it. It says to use a third party like SCAL which is being sued. Are there other 3rd parties out there? What do I look for? Also, I see that there are instructional videos, should I invest in one? I also added some other cartridges and the 12 x 12 cutting mats. Is there anything else I need to get started? Should get it around Nov 1, can't wait!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #2435
Forum Fanatic

You can cut with design studio as far as I know, but only from cartridges you own. No 3rd party software works with cricut anymore. Possibly fairy cut but I'm pretty sure they've either put a stop to that or will very soon. So pretty much all you can do is buy cartridges you like and use those for whatever shapes you want.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #2436
Rubber Obsessor

So, did I waste my money on the Design Studio? Can you cut the cartridges you own without the Design Studio?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #2437
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by robann View Post
So, did I waste my money on the Design Studio? Can you cut the cartridges you own without the Design Studio?
I myself bouth the design studio software before I discovered Make the Cut. You can use the design studio software to manipulate the file shapes, but nothing like Make the Cut. My advice is to play with your software and discover what it can do for you. You can only use the shapes of the cartridges that you have, but you can certainly cut using the software. Also, you don't necessarily NEED to use the design studio to cut your images. You can simply plug in a cartridge into the Cricut, select an image, select the size of the image you want to cut, select the pressure and speed based on what type of paper you'll be cutting, then press cut. If you love the cartridges you purchased, then you won't be disappointed. Have fun with it. Hope this helps.

My Gallery
My New Blog
Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #2438
Rubber Obsessor

The option I love about Design Studio is the weld feature. You can use it to join letters together so you do not have to paste them separately on your project. I did not pay much for my design studio so it was worth it just to have that option. I don't think you wasted your money. You will enjoy the machine and all the extras you have. You will love having the 12 x 12 rather than the 6 x 12 mat. Don't worry, have fun!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #2439
Rubber Obsessor

I use my Design Studio with my Cricut all the time and love it. I think you got a good deal. Watch the prices on the cartridges like anything else. I buy a lot of mine on cricutmachine.com. I watch for specials. I just got 3 cartrides for $40 with shipping. They have a special going on right now.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #2440
Rubber Obsessor

Default Design Studio

Thank you all for your input. I get to pick up my cricut expression today, it only took like 3 days to get it at Walmart and I'm so excited! I can't wait to play this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robann View Post

Last edited by robann; 10-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: correction