Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #2361
Forum Fanatic

Oh also, I'm not sure if any cricut firmware updates disabled the older versions of MTC and SCAL so that's also another issue to consider.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #2362
Glitter Guru

there is a way to still use updated MTC with your cricut depending on what version you currently have. Check the MTC forums.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #2363
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

Ok Fairy that is hilarious, you have actually updated it more than once but not made anything. Love your preparedness for when you do get inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorkay View Post
I've had my Gypsy for 9 months and have updated it several times, but not used it.

I thought I had to update everything my "computer" wanted to put on it and really I don't? I haven't updated in about 3 months - I guess I should again.....
Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #2364
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

What is a "filmware update" and ????????????
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #2365
Glitter Guru

It is firmware It is the brain of the cricut like Windows is to pc

Quote:
What is a "filmware update" and ????????????
Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 AM   #2366
Stazon Splitcoast

BWHAHAHAHAHA! Leave it to my SAmi to tell me - so then, how do I update or check it?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #2367
Mad Swapper

Ive just had a new computer and was worried that I had lost my sure cuts a lot, I contacted craft edge who I bought the programme from and they sent me a download, I had to put in my serial numbers but it downloaded the latest version, I am so happy as my cricut would have been useless to me without it as I can't afford to keep buying the carts. I'm one happy crafted again.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #2368
Glitter Guru

Sorry I have no idea Jeremy handles that part and he is at a job interview.

Quote:
BWHAHAHAHAHA! Leave it to my SAmi to tell me - so then, how do I update or check it?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #2369
Stazon Splitcoast

HA! I'm so glad J is at an interview!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #2370
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan31 View Post
Ive just had a new computer and was worried that I had lost my sure cuts a lot, I contacted craft edge who I bought the programme from and they sent me a download, I had to put in my serial numbers but it downloaded the latest version, I am so happy as my cricut would have been useless to me without it as I can't afford to keep buying the carts. I'm one happy crafted again.
The latest version works with the cricut? It was my understanding that they were not allowed to distribute the one that works with the cricut at all. But if they did, good news for you!

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #2371
Rubber Obsessor

Hi all,
I need HELP in a big way. I have done a search on this thread but didn't find the answer.
I have the Cricut Expression. I am trying to cut a sample stencil out of a 9 x 18 sheet. I chose the Accent Essentials cardtridge, chose the Shift and the scallop key. The size is set at 4". I should be able to at least get one cut out of a 9 x 13 inch paper but it says "Characters won't fit. Change size or press cut againto cut as many as will fit." I am not in the Portrait mode. I am very inexperienced with my Cricut and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong? I was hoping to get 2 stencils off each 9 x 18 sheet but I can't even get it to cut 1 out? Any suggestions????
Tammy
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #2372
Glitter Guru

The inches are usually the height of a character not the width. you may need to try turning it 90 degrees if that function is available on your machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity3333us View Post
Hi all,
I need HELP in a big way. I have done a search on this thread but didn't find the answer.
I have the Cricut Expression. I am trying to cut a sample stencil out of a 9 x 18 sheet. I chose the Accent Essentials cardtridge, chose the Shift and the scallop key. The size is set at 4". I should be able to at least get one cut out of a 9 x 13 inch paper but it says "Characters won't fit. Change size or press cut againto cut as many as will fit." I am not in the Portrait mode. I am very inexperienced with my Cricut and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong? I was hoping to get 2 stencils off each 9 x 18 sheet but I can't even get it to cut 1 out? Any suggestions????
Tammy
Old 08-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #2373
Stampin' Fool

make sure that your cricut is set on paper size 24, you are probably set
on 12in mat.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #2374
Stampin' Fool

i was just making some cuts yesterday using the 12 x 24 mat and it kept telling it wouldn't fit and it finally dawned on me what the problem was. Mat size.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #2375
Stazon Splitcoast

ahhh, MAT SIZE - that is a good thing to remember
Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #2376
Matboard Maniac

By chance do any of you teach Cricut Classes and have handouts or tips and tricks sheets that you would be willing to share with me? I have my first class on Saturday and have been putting some things together, but thought I would ask and see if anyone else had some information as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #2377
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
I teach a class. I don't use a hand out, because I go right through the owner's manual of the machines. I figure they can take notes if they want to, but they have their owner's manual to use as a how-to after the class.

I do have a sample board of each of the cuts. I just glued the piece to foam board and labeled them.

I show the cut, talk about the cut, have them do the cut.

I have fit to page, fit to length, multi cut (used a piece of chip cut), etc.

My samples aren't fancy papers, or anything like that, I want them to learn the cut, not get caught up in "Ohhh, isn't that deer cute, what cartridge is that?" sort of thing. I want them to know how to cut 27 deer if they need to.

I start with how to label their mats to keep the clear cover on the right way, how to refurbish a mat, how to load the mat, types of paper, and everything I can possibly remember to tell them.

I talk about glue, tools, painters tape, fabric, types of paper, etc.

I also talk about the types of Cricut machines, different types of cartridges and why they are the price they are because of their content.

I use all those tips and tricks we've learned along the way.

My class is designed for them to do all the steps with their machines. So far, it's been a very successful class, if you count 2 classes as successful, and one more at the end of the month.

It's a really fun class, because they're not making anything. Just cutting and learning, sort of like a product demo, enjoy
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #2378
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2 View Post
Hi!
I teach a class. I don't use a hand out, because I go right through the owner's manual of the machines. I figure they can take notes if they want to, but they have their owner's manual to use as a how-to after the class.

I do have a sample board of each of the cuts. I just glued the piece to foam board and labeled them.

I show the cut, talk about the cut, have them do the cut.

I have fit to page, fit to length, multi cut (used a piece of chip cut), etc.

My samples aren't fancy papers, or anything like that, I want them to learn the cut, not get caught up in "Ohhh, isn't that deer cute, what cartridge is that?" sort of thing. I want them to know how to cut 27 deer if they need to.

I start with how to label their mats to keep the clear cover on the right way, how to refurbish a mat, how to load the mat, types of paper, and everything I can possibly remember to tell them.

I talk about glue, tools, painters tape, fabric, types of paper, etc.

I also talk about the types of Cricut machines, different types of cartridges and why they are the price they are because of their content.

I use all those tips and tricks we've learned along the way.

My class is designed for them to do all the steps with their machines. So far, it's been a very successful class, if you count 2 classes as successful, and one more at the end of the month.

It's a really fun class, because they're not making anything. Just cutting and learning, sort of like a product demo, enjoy
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #2379
Rubber Obsessor

I just got an e mail this morning for a sale that is going on at cricutmachine.com They have some great bundles starting at $29.95. I've been wanting campin critters for sometime now and it's in a bundle. I got the bundle and paid less for it that the one cartridge alone. YEAH ME.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #2380
Glitter Queen

Okay my Cricut friends - I have a question that I hope you all can help me with. I love my scrapbooking and bought a cricut and love it! I am just starting to spend a lot of time making cards - I especially love making them with stamped images that I use pencils to color in.
I do still need labels and frames for my projects and am not sure if I should get a Big Shot or try to use the Cricut for them. Do any of the Cricut cartriges have a lot of different labels that I could use?
I'm very confused at this point and just want to be "smart" with my spending.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2381
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by debi0702 View Post
Okay my Cricut friends - I have a question that I hope you all can help me with. I love my scrapbooking and bought a cricut and love it! I am just starting to spend a lot of time making cards - I especially love making them with stamped images that I use pencils to color in.
I do still need labels and frames for my projects and am not sure if I should get a Big Shot or try to use the Cricut for them. Do any of the Cricut cartriges have a lot of different labels that I could use?
I'm very confused at this point and just want to be "smart" with my spending.
The Cricut Lite Cartridge Lacy Labels at WalMart is all labels and frames and so if the new Fancy Frames cartridge.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #2382
Inking Addict

You can also look at the elegant edges cart. I got it on sale for 29.99 at Joanne's a couple weeks ago. I love using it for both cards and my scrap books. Go to cricut.com and go to the info tab and then to the cricut library. You can see what is on all the cartridges there.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #2383
Insane Embellisher

I agree, Lacy Labels, and Elegant Edges are both great ones for card backgrounds, and ones like Paper Lace have designs that are good for a doily lace effect and the background to it can be used separately as well. A cartridge like Accent Essentials has some basic shapes you might find in the first go round of Spellbinders, but it also has some cuts of nice flourishes as well. So, it all depends on what you like to use on your cards.

Good luck in your decisions. You can find some good buys in the stores on also on ebay. I got great deals out there. Just Google your cartridge, and you'd be surprised!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #2384
Embossing Fanatic

I agree, I buy most of my carts on Ebay! If you watch long enough and don't get impatient, I find most of my carts for $17.-$33. Of course, those aren't the newest carts that have just come out.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #2385
Glitter Queen

I bought a Lacy Labels cart on Ebay last night. Cost me $30 which is on the high end of what I pay for one on Ebay but I know I'll be getting a lot of use out of it. Want to check out a few more that you gals talked about to. I also watched a few tutorials on this cart and love how they did the cuts for the cards - so I was sold. You guys are awesome - led me in the right direction and now I can work with my cricut while doing card making. Thanks a bunch... . . .
Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #2386
Insane Embellisher

Glad you like your purchase.

One of my more recent purchases that I really love, but costs a but more due to it's configuration, is the Close to my Heart cartridge, Art Philosophy. You get the cartridge which has at least 700 images consisting of an image, tags, cards, fonts, backgrounds, some flourishes, borders, boxes, and flowers. The versatility of this cartridge is absolutely amazing!!! The shapes for backgrounds is fantastic, there is every shape of card, and ones with with images as well... it's terrific. The cartridge also comes with 3 stamp sets that have images that coordinate with the cartridge, so it tells you what size to cut the shape out, then you can use the stamp to stamp your image! Since they are acrylic stamps, it's a breeze to get a perfect match. There are also 3 sheets of dimensional elements - different shapes - to match up and use with the cartridge and stamps as well. The retail value of all of this is around $125., but it sells for $99. through a Close to my Heart Consultant, which is a great deal..... so another one to consider.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #2387
Rubber Obsessor

I just ordered the CTMH cart ~ it's almost too good to resist! I NEVER have parties but my friend and I had one together and each got ours at half price. They are only $50.00 if your party is over $450. We must have had a $900.00 party (I don't know the total) because we each got one for the lower price. What a deal! Did you know that their catalog has the images that are on the cart outlined in red so you can use them with the cricut? I'm new at this cricut thing but am thrilled with that package. Now I have to wait for the backorder to show up. Lots of people have the same idea that I have, I guess!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #2388
Embossing Fanatic

I was really tempted by the deal on this that they had at the end of August, but just didn't want to spend that much money at one time. If they sold the cartridge on it's own, I probably would purchase it, but I just wasn't ready to spend the extra money on all the stamps and chipboard. I don't tend to use the chipboard that I already own and liked less than half of the stamps. My friend got it though, and she will let me use her cartridge, so that is almost as good as owning it myself.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #2389
Glitter Guru

I want just the cart too I sure hope CTMH offers that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Palm View Post
I was really tempted by the deal on this that they had at the end of August, but just didn't want to spend that much money at one time. If they sold the cartridge on it's own, I probably would purchase it, but I just wasn't ready to spend the extra money on all the stamps and chipboard. I don't tend to use the chipboard that I already own and liked less than half of the stamps. My friend got it though, and she will let me use her cartridge, so that is almost as good as owning it myself.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #2390
Glitter Queen

You might try Ebay for the cart itself - I think I saw it there without the stamps.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #2391
Glitter Queen

Question cricut cartridge question

is there anywhere a full image of whats in a catridge is available. sort of an encyclopedia of catridges. I couldn't find anything on the company website. and hopefully larger pics as I have trouble seeing whats on those little 2 inch pics of all the images.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #2392
Glitter Queen

Question cricut cartridge question

is there anywhere a full image of whats in a cartridge is available. sort of an encyclopedia of cartridges. I couldn't find anything on the company website. and hopefully larger pics as I have trouble seeing whats on those little 2 inch pics of all the images.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #2393
Embossing Fanatic

If you go into the Cricut Craft Room, you can see all of the keypads and make them large to look at too.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #2394
Inking Addict

Is the cricut craft room open for everyone to use now?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #2395
Stazon Splitcoast

I think so.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #2396
Embossing Fanatic

I've heard that it is and that it isn't. So I'm not sure. I think everyone can download the trial version and design or at least look at the cartridges though.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #2397
Glitter Queen

thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #2398
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't realize there was a "cost" involved. Cricut sent me a survey about it, and I hadn't even looked for it yet LOL I then went and played with it, but since I don't have a home computer, I can't do anything with it anyway
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #2399
Glitter Queen

i went there after reading this this morning and have nothing but computer messes since so be careful.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #2400
Die Cut Diva

If I need to cut chip board into 6 X 6 squares, can I do that on the Cricut? If so how?

Bonnie