Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #2361
Die Cut Diva

My favorites right now are Art Philosophy and Elegant Edges
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #2362
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Moore View Post
Hello ladies! Looks like I am late to join the Cricut club... but I just found a deal for a Cricut plus Gypsy for $49+ $5 shipping! I've borrowed friends' Cricuts so many times I'm thrilled to finally be getting one. In any case, just wondering what your favorite can't-live-without cartridges are. I make cards and scrapbook and would probably primarily use it for scrapbooking. Can't wait to hear of your favorites!

If anyone is interested in the deal it is good for today only I believe. Laptops, Cell Phones, Video Games, Cameras, Computers - CowBoom.com
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cricut. LOL! I'd have to say that my absolute favorite cartridge is Close to my Heart's Art Philosophy cartridge. It has been in my machine since I got it and I think I have only taken it out once to use my Sweet Treats cart. The AP cartridge has 700 images on it including boxes, bags, tags, banners, borders, fonts, 100 different card shapes, envelopes, 3-D flowers, and TONS of images that coordinate with CTMH stamp sets. Plus it comes with 3 coordinating stamp sets and 3 sheets of coordinating chipboard shapes. If you are interested in seeing all of the images on the cartridge, I posted them on my blog here: Lisa’s Creative Corner: Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge Images

Have fun playing with your new goodies!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #2363
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi everyone
I'm have been looking to get a Cricut now for several years. I received a notice that Cricut.com has a reconditioned Expression for $79, with 2 cartridges. A new one here (Toronto, Canada) is $200 at Walmart. Does anyone have any experience with a reconditioned machine? Is it worth purchasing? (I can get the free shipping to my dad in the US.) Thanks for your help!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #2364
Stampin' Fool

bump
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #2365
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to Kristin Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2 View Post
Hi!
I have a bunch of cartridges, besides being addicted, I look for cartridges that fit a theme. So these are the cartridges I have and how I look at them, theme wise. Hope this gives you an idea. Not all the cartridges are "one" theme, some overlap a bit, I grouped them among the most cuts in that theme.

Cartridges By Theme

Alphabet: All Mixed Up, Ashlyn’s Alphabet, Billionaire, Blackletter, Calligraphy Collection, Cricut Keystone, Cuttin’ Up, Don Juan, Doodletype, Feeling Groovy, George and Basic Shapes, Gypsy Font, Jasmine, Lyrical letters, Mini Monograms, Opposites Attract, Plantin Schoolbook, Printing Press, Sans Serif, Storybook, Street Sign, Varsity Letter.

Animals: 3 Birds on parade, Animal Kingdom, Create A Critter, Dinosaur Tracks, Four Legged Friends, Give a Hoot, Meow, Paper Pups, Songbird, Straight from the Nest, Wildlife, Zoo Day, ZooBalloo

Artistic: Accent Essentials, Art Nouveau, Home Accents, Picturesque, Sophisticated

Asian: Pagoda

Boxes: Sweet Tooth Boxes, Tags, Bags, Boxes and More

Cards & Related: Damask Décor, Elegant Edges, Everyday Pop-Up Cards, Fabulous Finds, Lacy Labels, Paper Lace, Smiley Cards, Wrap it Up, Just Because Cards, Wild Card.

Christmas: Christmas (Noel), Christmas Village, Gingerbread, Jolly Holidays, Joys of the Season, Trim the Tree

Cricut: Store Front

Disney & Others: Batman, Cars, Disney Classics, Dreams Come True, Hanna Montana, Happily Every After, Hello Kitty Font, Hello Kitty Greetings, Mickey and Friends, Mickey and Friends Font, Pooh and Friends, Pooh and Friends Font, Sesame Street Friends, Tinkerbell & Friends, Toy Story

Easter: Easter

Education: 50 States, Cursive 101, Locker Talk, Makin’ the Grade, My Community, My World, Printing 101

Fifties: Nifty Fifties

Floral & Garden: Bloom, Florals Embellished, Flower Shoppe, Freshly Picked, Live Simply, Mother’s Day Bouquet, Walk in My Garden

Food & Kitchen: From My Kitchen, Preserves, Savory, Sweet Treats

Frames: Fancy Frames

Graduation: Happy Graduation

Halloween: Happy Haunting, Mini Monster, October 31st

Heritage: Heritage, Sentimentals

Home: Block Party, Handyman, Splish Splash

Men: Father’s Day

Music & Dance: Quarter Note, Twinkle Toes

Patriotic: Independence Day, Stand and Salute

People: A Child’s Year, B is for Boy, Baby Steps, Everyday Paper Dolls, Forever Young, Formal Occasion, Kate’s ABC’s, Nate’s ABC’s, New Arrival, Nursery Rhymes, Once Upon A Princess, Paper Doll Dress Up, Sugar and Spice

Religious: Inspired Heart, New Testament, Noah’s ABC Animals

Romance/Wedding: Sweethearts, Tie the Knot

Seasonal: Birthday Cakes, Cake Basics, Celebrate with Flourish, Cindy Loo, Cupcake Wrappers, Designer’s Calendar, Doodlecharms, Elegant Cake Art - Martha Stewart, Elegant Cakes, Gypsy Wanderings, Holiday Cakes, Paisley, Seasonal Cake Art - Martha Stewart, Stretch Your Imagination.

Sports: All Sports, Sports Mania

Supportive/Cancer: Pink Journey

Teens: Graphically Speaking, Indie Art

Thanksgiving: Thanksgiving

Travel/Vacation: Campin’ Critters, Carousel, Going Places, Life is a Beach, Summer Vacation

Western: Old West

Winter: Winter Frolic, Winter Lace, Winter Woodland

Words: Alphalicious, Beyond Birthdays, Word Collage
Wow! That is quite a collection. Can you narrow it down to maybe 3 that you use most often or couldn't live without? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #2366
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill with a G View Post
Some of my favorites are Create a Critter, Cindy Loo, Heritage and Beyond Birthdays, and Alphalicious.
Ooh, thanks Jill! I will look those up.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #2367
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastenz View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cricut. LOL! I'd have to say that my absolute favorite cartridge is Close to my Heart's Art Philosophy cartridge. It has been in my machine since I got it and I think I have only taken it out once to use my Sweet Treats cart. The AP cartridge has 700 images on it including boxes, bags, tags, banners, borders, fonts, 100 different card shapes, envelopes, 3-D flowers, and TONS of images that coordinate with CTMH stamp sets. Plus it comes with 3 coordinating stamp sets and 3 sheets of coordinating chipboard shapes. If you are interested in seeing all of the images on the cartridge, I posted them on my blog here: Lisa’s Creative Corner: Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge Images

Have fun playing with your new goodies!
Lisa, that sounds like a great one. I think I saw it listed somewhere. I will check out your blog for the images. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #2368
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
I sure wish I could narrow my choices down, I just don't work that way. I like to have variety, that's why I have so many

Pick a seasonal cartridge like Doodle Charms or Stretch Your Imagination

Pick a multi-font, one cartridge with several fonts, like Lyrical letters or Storybook

Pick another that goes with your style, patriotic, country, animals, etc.

Have fun.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #2369
Sassy Shani

good grief. nevermind
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #2370
Sassy Shani

LOL! My good grief was posted in the wrong thread. Bwahahahahahahaa. My bad. Carry on
Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Your question probably got missed in between all the other posts. I would post it in its own thread. I'm sorry I can't help-I don't know anything about the E2. I did find this online by using google-it's about halfway down where she compares the two.

Product Review-Cricut Expression 2
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #2371
Insane Embellisher

Hello Ladies. What all size mats can you use with the cricut expression? Can Iuse the 6 x 12 mat? I am considering getting the Cricut cake @ Biglots for $99, but the thought of wasting paper makes me sad!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #2372
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
The 6x12 mats don't work in the Expressions. They use a 12x12 or 12x24 mat.

As for wasting paper, you can cut whatever size you want. There is a way to get the machine to recognize the size of the paper (Set Paper Size button), or you can trim the paper and save the excess paper for other uses. I have an expression and I just save leftover pieces for other projects.

also, on the large 12x12 mat, you can place several small pieces of paper of different color and move the blade around the mat and save time cutting.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #2373
Mad Swapper

Question Gel pens for the Cricut

Anyone used these? I received a set for Christmas and I have not had time to play with them yet. If you've used them, any tips? Or does it work just as expected? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #2374
Polyshrink Goddess

I too received a set, our oldest son picked them up for me from Amazon.

I will give them a try in the next day or so and report back.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #2375
Stampin' Fool

I've used the Cricut pens and they work fine.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #2376
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon View Post
Anyone used these? I received a set for Christmas and I have not had time to play with them yet. If you've used them, any tips? Or does it work just as expected? Thank you in advance.
Like so many other "crafting tools", I bought them, but have never tried them yet!!! Does that sound familiar???? Good luck though, they are supposed to work great, and I figured it would give me so many more possibilities with my Cricut - which I still love!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #2377
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2 View Post
what cricut cartridge to use to cut out candy wrappers so you can stamp with Stampin Up It's a Wrap Holidays?
I'd like to know this too.....

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #2378
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm wayyy late in getting on the Cricut train, but Santa brought me an Expression, and several cartridges, so here i am. I've tried to cut some stuff out, but the blade keeps making a mess of the paper.....do I have something set wrong? Is this a case of "read the manual 1st"? hahahaha

Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #2379
Stampin' Fool

Default BEGINNER CRICUT USER HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndie View Post
I'm wayyy late in getting on the Cricut train, but Santa brought me an Expression, and several cartridges, so here i am. I've tried to cut some stuff out, but the blade keeps making a mess of the paper.....do I have something set wrong? Is this a case of "read the manual 1st"? hahahaha
hahaha
I got the Expression also and feel like I have missed out on so much. It is overwhelming.
I don't know what is software and what are cartridges that people are talking about!!
There needs to be a beginner spot that explains what things are and what they do.

I watched the DVD that came with the machine. It was helpful but I will probably need to watch it again before I actually start cutting.
The machine came with School Plantin and Accent cartridges. I ordered a tool set also, and was given the markers for xmas. I ordered the Gypsy too and am waiting for that to come.

I am looking forward to trying it out. I am most interested in figuring out how to connect letters into words and quotes/sayings. I understand the Gypsy will help me do that.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #2380
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=DianeCraft;19040002]hahaha
I got the Expression also and feel like I have missed out on so much. It is overwhelming.
I don't know what is software and what are cartridges that people are talking about!!
There needs to be a beginner spot that explains what things are and what they do.

I watched the DVD that came with the machine. It was helpful but I will probably need to watch it again before I actually start cutting.
The machine came with School Plantin and Accent cartridges. I ordered a tool set also, and was given the markers for xmas. I ordered the Gypsy too and am waiting for that to come.

I am looking forward to trying it out. I am most interested in figuring out how to connect letters into words and quotes/sayings. I understand the Gypsy will help me do that.[/QUO

Hmmmmmm....Mine didn't come with a DVD. Maybe I'll just look on YouTube for videos about it. I have found the best place to get carts is on EBay. I've gotten several over the past few days and so far, none of them over 20.00, with free shipping!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #2381
Rubber Obsessor

Do you have to use the transfer tape paper when using the vinyl you cut on the Cricut? As far as I see it's sticky and you just stick it on to your project? And can you cut clear contact paper with the Cricut? Thank you for any help...
Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #2382
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for your help Gale, I had no idea how to work with that stuff, so I knew if I asked I'd get the answer! Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #2383
Rubber Obsessor

I'm sorry to bother everyone again, but i need a usb cable for my cricut expression. Can I buy one anywhere? I am going to target today, and want to get one, so what kind do I buy? ty in advance.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #2384
Rubber Obsessor

You should be able to find one at Target. I can't remember which connector it uses, (my Cricut isn't here right now) but look at where you plug the USB cable into the Cricut and check the shape of the USB connector. It will either be square-looking or it will look like the end of a thumb drive. When you are looking at cables, you will want one that has one end that matches what you see on the Cricut and the other end should look like the end of a thumb drive (that's the shape that connects to your computer.)
Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #2385
Stampin' Fool

My Cricut cable looks just like a standard printer cable.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #2386
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you much!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #2387
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalaKitty View Post
My Cricut cable looks just like a standard printer cable.

I've used my printer cable before because it's longer than the Cricut cable. It works just fine!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #2388
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon View Post
I haven't used the gel pens, but I have used the markers. I do know that with the markers I haven't had any luck matching up the marker drawing with the cut unless I have used my Design Studio first.

I think I found that tip on here somewhere and would love to credit the person for it, but it was so long ago, I don't remember where it was or who it was. I was so grateful when I read it, though! Thank you!

Anyway, in CDS, design what you want to outline and cut. Then, with the marker in the blade casing, hit cut and the machine draws your image. Do not remove the mat when it is done. Hit Load Paper which brings the mat back to the start position, replace the marker with the blade, hit Cut on your CDS again and the machine cuts out the image exactly on the marker line.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of tip you are looking for or not, but I hope it helps someone.

Have fun playing with your new toys!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2389
Mad Swapper

Have a Gypsy question: just got it new and have loaded 3 cartridges on it, plus the 2 that came with it. However, when I try to search for an image to cut it has dozens, if not 100s of cartridge images with no way to distinquish between what I own and what is just a sample of what you could own. When I try to cut something I don't own a message pops up that says something about not having the rights to use that image. How on earth do I get it to only show me what I own? I don't want to scroll through all of these useless images every time I use it. Help! TIA!!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #2390
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Moore View Post
Have a Gypsy question: just got it new and have loaded 3 cartridges on it, plus the 2 that came with it. However, when I try to search for an image to cut it has dozens, if not 100s of cartridge images with no way to distinquish between what I own and what is just a sample of what you could own. When I try to cut something I don't own a message pops up that says something about not having the rights to use that image. How on earth do I get it to only show me what I own? I don't want to scroll through all of these useless images every time I use it. Help! TIA!!
There's an option at the top that says All Cartridges and Cartridges I Own, or something like that, I don't have mine in front of me. Anyway, click on the one for the carts you own and that's all that will be displayed. I hope this makes sense.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #2391
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcards View Post
There's an option at the top that says All Cartridges and Cartridges I Own, or something like that, I don't have mine in front of me. Anyway, click on the one for the carts you own and that's all that will be displayed. I hope this makes sense.
Oh how silly of me to have missed it! Thanks!!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #2392
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Stretch Your Imagination cart, I made a 5 inch Valentine card. I tried to cut an envelope to fit 5 inch card, pressed silouette and the card button which brought up the envelope, but my expression tells me that the character is too big to cut? I played around and finally got it to cut one, and it is def. not a 5 inch envelope? I think I may have hit the shift key as well, but in any case, what am I doing wrong that I can't get the envelope to fit the card? And why does it tell me that it's too big? I asked on the Cricut forum but got no answer as of yet. Thank you
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #2393
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

The envelope may be too big usually in my experience you have to make the envelope "fit to page" and then figure out what size the biggest card can be to fit the envelope. Hopefully I am wrong and someone more knowledgeable can give you better advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklvr View Post
I have the Stretch Your Imagination cart, I made a 5 inch Valentine card. I tried to cut an envelope to fit 5 inch card, pressed silouette and the card button which brought up the envelope, but my expression tells me that the character is too big to cut? I played around and finally got it to cut one, and it is def. not a 5 inch envelope? I think I may have hit the shift key as well, but in any case, what am I doing wrong that I can't get the envelope to fit the card? And why does it tell me that it's too big? I asked on the Cricut forum but got no answer as of yet. Thank you
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #2394
Rubber Obsessor

Well, it's worth a try! Thank you so much for answering me so fast. I'm off to try now! I wish there were more detailed instructions with these carts they sell. It seems to be you just have to try everything to figure it out! Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #2395
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Cut the envelope first using fit to page. Check to see what size it cuts and then cut the card the same size.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #2396
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you, I will try that!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #2397
Rubber Obsessor

Just thought I'd let you that helped me out, that it worked! I chose 5 inch, fit to page, silhouette feature and it worked! Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #2398
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

awesome! cricut emergency diverted, have a wonderful weekend!

Quote:
Just thought I'd let you that helped me out, that it worked! I chose 5 inch, fit to page, silhouette feature and it worked! Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #2399
Embossing Fanatic

Default Appears the Mat is too sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndie View Post
I'm not sure if your question has been answered but thought I'd pass this along: the first time you use a new Cricut mat it is very, very sticky and you need to run your hands (flat) over the mat about 5 times to remove some stickiness. You don't want to remove all the stickiness or your paper won't stick at all.

Re your blade, make sure the little black dot is facing directly towards you when you place it in the holder. It is important that the black dot is facing you or the blade won't work correctly. This fact was passed along by an Cricut expert.

HTH
Mollyz
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #2400
Rubber Obsessor

Default Gypsy has over 150 cartridges linked; have to sell...

Due to some financial issues related to my severely handicapped bro-in-law, I have to sell all of my craft stuff, including 250 cartridges, 5 Cricuts and my Gypsy with most of my cartridges linked to it.

I have no idea to where I should even start listing my Gypsy for sale. Any ideas? I hate to lose tons of money on it, but nevertheless do have to sell it.

I'm so disappointed!

Thank you,
Diane