Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #2241
Rubber Obsessor

Default Internet images

This has probably been answered somewhere on here but there are over 100 pages to read thru and I don't have the time right now.

I know that I have seen things that people have done with the Cricut that they have taken the images off of the internet and they say that they have special software to do that. What do I need? I am needing to make a ton of things for VBS at church and there is no way that I can find all the stuff on cartridges, there are none at the local Michaels that will work for Chinese things. Any help here would be appreciated. I thought it was the Design Studio that I need, but the box says that it requires that you still need the cartridges for that to work.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #2242
Forum Fanatic

You need Sure Cuts a Lot 2. I think Fairy Cuts still works with the cricut too but I don't know for sure. SCAL2 is at http://www.craftedge.com but I'm not sure of the site for fairy cuts-you can probably find it with google.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #2243
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglake View Post
I have decorated my cricut using vinyl and cartridges...cindy loo and cricut sampler. what do you think... xx jo xx
Your cricut looks darling, what a great idea! Very creative......
Old 05-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #2244
Compulsive Stamper

I just received my new Expression 2 love the touch screen and mat image. Still playing with it but lovin it so far....
Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #2245
Insane Embellisher

I just got mine too, and I'm a new Cricut user. Love the features of the E2, and hope to have a whole new card and scrapping world opened to me..... can hardly wait to create.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #2246
Gallery Gazer

Isn't the new cricut E2 great!! I'm just loving mine!! I've made a few videos if anyone is interested. You can get to them from my signature!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #2247
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to stampinsweeney

I really want the E2, but my husband is slated to be laid off in three weeks. Can't justify the extra cost especially if I don't sell my E first. Wish I could have gotten it on flex pay when HSN had it.

Anyone have fave Cricut You-Tubers? I'm a Cricut video addict. lol!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #2248
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
You need Sure Cuts a Lot 2. I think Fairy Cuts still works with the cricut too but I don't know for sure. SCAL2 is at http://www.craftedge.com but I'm not sure of the site for fairy cuts-you can probably find it with google.
Version 2 is no longer up and this is the straw that broke the Camel's back as far as I am concerned with regard to Provocraft. As I posted in another thread what next will they mandate in my crafting?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #2249
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Ok, found it, and love it! But. What if PC goes after them? My daughter wants a program for the Cricut I gave her, but I am afraid to recommend one in light of recent developments. If she goes on a purchases the program, what if PC goes after Fairy Cut?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2250
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesgram View Post
Ok, found it, and love it! But. What if PC goes after them? My daughter wants a program for the Cricut I gave her, but I am afraid to recommend one in light of recent developments. If she goes on a purchases the program, what if PC goes after Fairy Cut?
PC are going after everyone and everything. If she wants to use Cricut then she has to use their programs. Also be aware if she does use their programs they believe they own anything she creates (from previous experience by other users).

If she wants more than what Cricut offer then she can spend her money elsewhere - SCAL and MTC both have lists of cutters they work on. I have a list from the Cricut Boycott page on Facebook about other electronic die cutters - many have better reviews than Cricut. And don't worry I have a Cricut so I'm not being "anti-Cricut".

Here's the link - http://thatsscrapinc.com/ComparisonC...thBlackCat.htm

At this time if I hadn't already invested in Cricut I wouldn't. They aren't going to see another penny of my money because they are just being bullies and I don't support that behavior in my life.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #2251
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
PC are going after everyone and everything. If she wants to use Cricut then she has to use their programs. Also be aware if she does use their programs they believe they own anything she creates (from previous experience by other users).

If she wants more than what Cricut offer then she can spend her money elsewhere - SCAL and MTC both have lists of cutters they work on. I have a list from the Cricut Boycott page on Facebook about other electronic die cutters - many have better reviews than Cricut. And don't worry I have a Cricut so I'm not being "anti-Cricut".

Here's the link - http://thatsscrapinc.com/ComparisonC...thBlackCat.htm

At this time if I hadn't already invested in Cricut I wouldn't. They aren't going to see another penny of my money because they are just being bullies and I don't support that behavior in my life.
Thanks so much! I am going to pass this to my daughter and give her some other options.
thanks again!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #2252
Glitter Queen

I am new to SCS and am fairly new to crafting (i've only been at if for about a year). I have a cricut expression and have been reading a lot about SCAL and MTC, but just as i was getting ready to take the plunge and purchase one of them i am hearing about the lawsuit with provocraft. Does it pay for me to get one? Or should i just download the trial versions and cut like crazy until they stop working? Any ideas? Also i just heard about cricut's craft room on their website, anyone been invited to use it yet? Do you think they will let us use all the SVG files we already have (cause i've been downloading free ones like CRAZY!)?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #2253
Forum Fanatic

You can't cut with the trial versions. At least not a good cut. And even if you could, even the trial versions that are available for download no longer work with the cricut. I am willing to bet that the cricut craft room will not allow you to cut svg files but I could be wrong.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #2254
Glitter Queen

my brother surprised me with the E2 - he was sold on the idea it was a special addition and would be not produced again with the 4 carts. I'm not real impressed with it so far - too much hunting to find size of cuts, pressure, etc. I liked the E (also have the baby bug) and it is so much easier to just turn the dials on the sides. I don't have the gypsy, I do have the DS but have only used it maybe 3 times in 4 years and to move the needle to the exact area to cut....I don't see the advantage of the E2. Was it designed for people with the gypsy in mind? I've tried watching videos on it but I guess for now I'm so disappointed in it nothing sinks in. I can't get the cuts to fit right in any of the preloaded carts...which, by the way...I love all 4 of them. It almost looks like those are the only ones needed to create fantastic greeting cards.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #2255
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
my brother surprised me with the E2 - he was sold on the idea it was a special addition and would be not produced again with the 4 carts. I'm not real impressed with it so far - too much hunting to find size of cuts, pressure, etc. I liked the E (also have the baby bug) and it is so much easier to just turn the dials on the sides. I don't have the gypsy, I do have the DS but have only used it maybe 3 times in 4 years and to move the needle to the exact area to cut....I don't see the advantage of the E2. Was it designed for people with the gypsy in mind? I've tried watching videos on it but I guess for now I'm so disappointed in it nothing sinks in. I can't get the cuts to fit right in any of the preloaded carts...which, by the way...I love all 4 of them. It almost looks like those are the only ones needed to create fantastic greeting cards.
The E2 is my first Cricut, and maybe that's why I'm adjusting okay to it, I have nothing to unlearn. I find it easy to navigate and with the icon cheat sheet, it seems simple. I haven't used my gypsy much with it though, I have bought quite a few cartridges on sale and off ebay, and find it easier to put them in and use the machine, but then again, I'm new and still learning, big time!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #2256
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by romomalley View Post
No, I do not have the original exe file. My husband re-imaged our computer, so it was not saved. Thanks for the idea though. Any other ideas?
You may be able to get them to resend you the installer, try this page: Craft Edge: Lost Software Installer
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #2257
Embossing Fanatic

I can't ask this question on the PC MB and hope someone here will know the answer. I understand that PC upgraded its software to include the carts that came out in April. Typically, I would update my Cricut and Gypsy to include the Carts. Question: If I update my Cricut and Gypsy, will I lose the ability to cut with MTC?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Best, Mollyz
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #2258
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quite a long time ago, someone posted a video as to how to prepare the cricut mat so that it lasts longer and keeps it stickiness. Does anyone remember? so frustrated with the mats and have tried many different suggestions.
Thanks bunches.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #2259
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Quite a long time ago, someone posted a video as to how to prepare the cricut mat so that it lasts longer and keeps it stickiness. Does anyone remember? so frustrated with the mats and have tried many different suggestions.
Thanks bunches.
There are a couple of different ways that people do it and I have tried 2 of them. THIS one works the best for me ...
Hiding in My Craft Room: Making Cricut Mats Sticky Again!
Good luck!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #2260
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyz View Post
I can't ask this question on the PC MB and hope someone here will know the answer. I understand that PC upgraded its software to include the carts that came out in April. Typically, I would update my Cricut and Gypsy to include the Carts. Question: If I update my Cricut and Gypsy, will I lose the ability to cut with MTC?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Best, Mollyz
I understood that it was updating your MTC that would affect it's connection with the Cricut machine, not your Cricut or Gypsy. But I don't know for sure, so am also curious to learn. Maybe there is info over at MTC?? Or you could email the owners directly to find out? Sorry I'm not more help
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #2261
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
I understood that it was updating your MTC that would affect it's connection with the Cricut machine, not your Cricut or Gypsy. But I don't know for sure, so am also curious to learn. Maybe there is info over at MTC?? Or you could email the owners directly to find out? Sorry I'm not more help
Hi Chinook,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

IMO, you're brilliant. Do you wonder why didn't I think of contacting MTC????? Because I'm a dummy lol. It never occurred to me to contact them. Duh!

I sent a message to MTC and will post their response here when I receive it.

Have a great week end.
Best, Mollyz
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #2262
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Hi Karen,

You are correct. Here's Rob's response to my question "Update shouldn't affect your MTC and your Cricut. You just can't update your MTC any further.".

Best,
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #2263
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyz View Post
Hi Karen,

You are correct. Here's Rob's response to my question "Update shouldn't affect your MTC and your Cricut. You just can't update your MTC any further.".

Best,
Ok ... Thanks for letting us know for sure!! I know there will be others who wonder as well.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #2264
Die Cut Diva

Does anyone know if it's the same for SCAL 2? I've emailed Craft Edge, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #2265
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Does anyone know if it's the same for SCAL 2? I've emailed Craft Edge, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Thanks.

Yes, it's the same. They will support SCAL 2 until the end of the year, but will make no more updates that are 'Cricut' compatible.

I think I'm looking for a new machine.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #2266
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to sami02usc

My dh was super upset to be told it was exclusive to HSN he had to work at 5:30am EST and stayed up til midnight. And 2 weeks later the same thing is on cricut.com But I aside from that I LOVE my E2. I had the original bug for 5 years no gypsy, ds, or any other program. I love being able to put different papers on the mats and cut several different pieces at the same time. I love the size range and mirror affect and I have only made 1 card with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac4551 View Post
Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #2267
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
Yes, it's the same. They will support SCAL 2 until the end of the year, but will make no more updates that are 'Cricut' compatible.

I think I'm looking for a new machine.
Thanks, Shell. It's good to know that it's OK to update my Cricut when I need to without worrying that it will block SCAL.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #2268
Matboard Maniac

How often should one update their Cricut? Will the Experssion let you know when it needs updated?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #2269
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't updated my Cricut in a year and a half, I only upgraded then because I received a Gypsy and it needed to be done. I doubt I will up grade again until the Cricut Craft Room is released to everyone.

No, the machine will not tell you it needs to be updated.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #2270
Embossing Fanatic

I received an email a few days ago saying a Cricut update is available.

Has anyone, who uses MTC/SCAL, updated there Cricut machine with this update and if yes, can you still cut with MTC/SCAL?

Rob at MTC said the updates wouldn't affect (or is it effect) MTC, but I'm really hesitant to update the Cricut.

Best, Mollyz
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #2271
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Has anyone, who uses MTC/SCAL, updated there Cricut machine with this update and if yes, can you still cut with MTC/SCAL?
Can someone clarify this for me? I thought if I update the cricut, it updates the firmware which makes it incompatible with SCAL.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #2272
Pearl-ExPert

soooooo...I finally joined the cricut ranks, bought a create on Ebay for 39.00...now....can anyone let me know what are some "must have, basic" carts? I love scrolls and that type of thing, and also forms to use for matting.

And now I am looking for a gypsy at a good price as well
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #2273
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseLady View Post
soooooo...I finally joined the cricut ranks, bought a create on Ebay for 39.00...now....can anyone let me know what are some "must have, basic" carts? I love scrolls and that type of thing, and also forms to use for matting.

And now I am looking for a gypsy at a good price as well
Good luck.....lol

I'm a "newbie" too with an E2, and my "must have basic carts" grew quickly before my machine even arrived! I now have probably over 30 -40 carts! Is that bad or what??? I must say though, I got a lot through great, cheap sales and ebay! So, price was a deal, even less than $20 on a lot of them!

To answer your question, some of my favorites for those matting and scroll looks are: Lacey Labels, Damask Decor, Elegant Edges, Elegant Cake Art ( for borders) and for scrolls, Cindy Loo, Accent Essentials & Cricut Essentials.

There are really so many more to share and more that I could mention but these are a few to start with. You would be surprised at how versatile the carts are and what they can do! There are also some like Celebrate with Flourish & Quarter Note that you could even remove the flourishes off of the main design if you wanted, since the flourish is so detailed. Your imagination is unlimited..... At cricut.com under information and library, you can "view" the booklet and see what's contained for each cartridge.

Good luck in your choices and have fun with your new toy, I know I am......
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #2274
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
Good luck.....lol

I'm a "newbie" too with an E2, and my "must have basic carts" grew quickly before my machine even arrived! I now have probably over 30 -40 carts! Is that bad or what??? I must say though, I got a lot through great, cheap sales and ebay! So, price was a deal, even less than $20 on a lot of them!

To answer your question, some of my favorites for those matting and scroll looks are: Lacey Labels, Damask Decor, Elegant Edges, Elegant Cake Art ( for borders) and for scrolls, Cindy Loo, Accent Essentials & Cricut Essentials.

There are really so many more to share and more that I could mention but these are a few to start with. You would be surprised at how versatile the carts are and what they can do! There are also some like Celebrate with Flourish & Quarter Note that you could even remove the flourishes off of the main design if you wanted, since the flourish is so detailed. Your imagination is unlimited..... At cricut.com under information and library, you can "view" the booklet and see what's contained for each cartridge.

Good luck in your choices and have fun with your new toy, I know I am......
Thanks for the information : ) Can't wait to get the machine and try it out, will check out the carts you recommended.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #2275
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to KatieMacScrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof5_123 View Post
Can someone clarify this for me? I thought if I update the cricut, it updates the firmware which makes it incompatible with SCAL.
I would not update your Cricut firmware if you intend on using SCAL on the Expression. If you have the Expression 2, then it is a moot point because you can't use SCAL (or any 3rd party software) with the Expression 2. Also, you can't use SCAL3 on any Cricut machine. In order to continuing being able to use the Expression with SCAL, you cannot update your machine.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #2276
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMacScrap View Post
I would not update your Cricut firmware if you intend on using SCAL on the Expression. If you have the Expression 2, then it is a moot point because you can't use SCAL (or any 3rd party software) with the Expression 2. Also, you can't use SCAL3 on any Cricut machine. In order to continuing being able to use the Expression with SCAL, you cannot update your machine.

Hope that helps.

But you CAN do the Font Pack updates - just not the firmware or Cricut Design Studio updates.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #2277
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
Thanks, Shell. It's good to know that it's OK to update my Cricut when I need to without worrying that it will block SCAL.

No, no. Cricut won't support SCAL, but CraftEdge will support the SCAL for Cricut. I would NOT update the Cricut firmware if you are using SCAL.

Savagetwin likes this post.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #2278
Insane Embellisher

Hi Ladies... and gents
I have a few questions, I have read as much as I can but still not sure about anything.
I bought a Create at Xmas and have hardly used it, so I am VERY inexperienced with it so far. I also bought SCAL 2 at Xmas and have yet to use that at all.
So.....I need to know what I should and should not do, to make sure my SCAL2 will work for me. I sort of saw things about firmware (which I really dont know about) and updates.
Can I update my Create? If No, or even yes, is updating something I would actually have to seek out and do myself, or would it ever just pop up on my screen and I would have to say yes or no to update?? Im so confused about all this with the stuff going on with SCAL 2. Especially since I have never even tried to use SCAL yet and very little experience with my Create so far, so understanding all this makes it harder. Also the firmware?? What is it that I should or should not do??
I would like to install and start to try and use SCAL 2, but now Im afraid I might do something wrong to make it not work. I know there are many great tutorials on using SCAL, which I have been watching, but are there any videos out there that talks about all this stuff??
Be gentle on me lol I want to be able to understand everything.
Thanks so much
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #2279
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know much about SCAL, except that you are not supposed to update the Cricut Firmware, because it will block SCAL from working, or something like that.

I do know that if you do not update your firmware, you can happily continue using SCAL and your Create.

How to update firmware? Your Create has to be plugged into your computer, you go to the PC website and follow the steps. I haven't linked my machines in a long time, I don't know that I remember how either. Someone here will know the exact steps, they're really good about such stuff.

I would strongly suggest that you get out your Create, some scrap papers and your Instruction Booklet and re-familiarize yourself with the buttons and how the machine works.

Then do the same thing with SCAL, I am sure there are instructions either by book or by you-tube and practice using the program too.

In no time, you'll be really comfortable using the Create and SCAL.

Have fun.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #2280
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

My poor cricut seems to be collecting dust, mostly because of losing the stickiness of the mats. Have tried several different things that have been suggested but... do recall a very long time ago that there was a video on how to prepare the mat to keep the stickiness as soon as you purchase it. Does anyone remember such a video? Thanks