Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #2201
Embossing Fanatic

Default Personal Cricut

Just looking into the cricut. For those of you who own the personal Cricut, do you like it? Would you recommend it?

Lori
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #2202
Forum Fanatic

I had the personal and the expression. The expression never cut right (wonky cuts all over the place) but I liked the size and features better. The personal cut fine-but only up to 5.5" wide. So I guess it's a trade-off. I sold my expression and bought a silhouette. My dd is keeping the personal along with about a dozen cartridges that we kept (sold all the rest). If I was recommending a cutting machine in general, I'd recommend the Silhouette but you have to use it with your computer.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #2203
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to momcswan@yahoo.com

GYPSE does anyone have it and what r your thoughts.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #2204
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I had the personal and the expression. The expression never cut right (wonky cuts all over the place) but I liked the size and features better. The personal cut fine-but only up to 5.5" wide. So I guess it's a trade-off. I sold my expression and bought a silhouette. My dd is keeping the personal along with about a dozen cartridges that we kept (sold all the rest). If I was recommending a cutting machine in general, I'd recommend the Silhouette but you have to use it with your computer.
Ok, you have my attention. Where can I get the best info, and who do you think has the best prices? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #2205
Mad Swapper

I bought an expression - from Walmart, in the color Aqua. $175

so I was playing with my Wild Card cartridge and tried to cut several envelopes in a 6.5 size and it kept telling me that it was to big for my 12x12 mat. Huh? this was on several of them. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions? I made sure it was set on 12x12 mat, paper size 12x12, tried clear all and reset all, turning off, removing cartridge, etc. Nothing worked.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #2206
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcswan@yahoo.com View Post
Came bundled with my create from Best Buy. The screen is so small I find it difficult to like it. I like the idea of creating things on the go and cutting later but that small screen gets me. For setting up titles/words to cut later it is nice because then the size doesn't bother me as much but for images that I'm unfamiliar with it is to difficult to use due to the size of the screen.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #2207
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon View Post
I bought an expression - from Walmart, in the color Aqua. $175

so I was playing with my Wild Card cartridge and tried to cut several envelopes in a 6.5 size and it kept telling me that it was to big for my 12x12 mat. Huh? this was on several of them. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions? I made sure it was set on 12x12 mat, paper size 12x12, tried clear all and reset all, turning off, removing cartridge, etc. Nothing worked.
These should help:
YouTube - Cricut Series #16 Episode 91 (Wild Card #3)

YouTube - robynstamps's Channel
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #2208
Embossing Fanatic

Default Gypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcswan@yahoo.com View Post
Yes, I want to know too, what about the Gypse??
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #2209
Hardware Hotshot

Default Dr. Seuss font and SCAL

I have a question, which I've tried finding answers for on this thread, but am confused.

I need to cut out some letters in a Dr. Seuss font. I can download the font for free from the internet, but I want to make sure I can cut letters with the font using SCAL. I don't have the SCAL software, but if I can cut the letters I want, I will purchase it.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #2210
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannoe View Post
Yes, I want to know too, what about the Gypse??
The Gypsy is basically design studio on a little handheld device that you can carry around with you. You can only cut from carts you own. The minor drawback of the gypsy is that you have to load your carts in it somehow (electronically) and once you do that, the cart cannot be loaded to another gypsy. So if you sell your gypsy you're supposed to include the physical carts that have been loaded on it and you aren't supposed to sell the carts by themselves.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #2211
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinHappyInCT View Post
I have a question, which I've tried finding answers for on this thread, but am confused.

I need to cut out some letters in a Dr. Seuss font. I can download the font for free from the internet, but I want to make sure I can cut letters with the font using SCAL. I don't have the SCAL software, but if I can cut the letters I want, I will purchase it.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
Anyone? I was hoping to do this task today.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #2212
Crimping Master

Default cricut

The scal site says that you can cut any true type font with their program. I'm sorry I have not tried it yet though. If you go on the site, there are message boards you can post to also.
One word of warning though, provo craft is suing them, and the program may not work soon.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #2213
Glitter Guru

yes, you should be able to. I can cut fonts I get online with Make the Cut. I don't have SCAL. If you are thinking about getting SCAL, I would DO IT NOW! Like craftsrlb said, it may not work soon with the Cricut. That is what happened with MTC. PC sued them and they had to change the code so it won't work with PC products. I already had MTC so mine still works. I just can't update it. These programs are so much better than PC's DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinHappyInCT View Post

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #2214
Hardware Hotshot

Purchased SCAL today and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to really play with it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #2215
Rubber Obsessor

StampinHappyInCT - I am so glad you got the SCAL. I have it and Love it. The font choices out there are amazing. You might want to look at dafont.com for free fonts and svgcuts.com has some amazing svg files for sale.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #2216
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzkreationz az View Post
StampinHappyInCT - I am so glad you got the SCAL. I have it and Love it. The font choices out there are amazing. You might want to look at dafont.com for free fonts and svgcuts.com has some amazing svg files for sale.
Where are you in AZ? I'm in Tucson
Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #2217
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Thanks I'd not seen this site, most of mine come from 1001 fonts
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #2218
Rubber Obsessor

HidinInMyCraftRoom - I am in Chandler Arizona and love it. Originally from Nebraska where it is COLD so I don't mind the heat!!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #2219
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
HidinInMyCraftRoom - I am in Chandler Arizona and love it. Originally from Nebraska where it is COLD so I don't mind the heat!!!!!
We moved here from hot sticky Panama City, Florida and don't miss the humidy and don't really mind the heat either. I do miss trees and grass but the mountains make up for that!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #2220
Cardstock Collector

I am hoping I am in the right place for this and that someone out here can help me. I need to make a 3D castle using Once Upon a princess, but, I am not sure of what the size ratios are for the different pieces. I can get the walls the same height- but then what of the corners and the towers...how do I adjust for that so it all fits together? I have a gypsy and an expression.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #2221
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemax View Post
I am hoping I am in the right place for this and that someone out here can help me. I need to make a 3D castle using Once Upon a princess, but, I am not sure of what the size ratios are for the different pieces. I can get the walls the same height- but then what of the corners and the towers...how do I adjust for that so it all fits together? I have a gypsy and an expression.
I would think as long as you DON'T have REAL SIZE selected, the pieces are all made to work together. So if you select the first piece of the castle - say a wall - to be 7" high, then import the other pieces in at 7" and they should work perfectly.

Try doing two test cuts on plain card stock -- a wall and a pennant or tower and you will see how it should work.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #2222
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemax View Post
I agree with Karen! Be sure that you are NOT using real dial size. However with the Gypsy it's a little different. Once you set the size make sure you don't accidently resize when you drag and place images on the screen.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #2223
Cardstock Collector

Default Help with Image details on cricut expression

Does anyone have any hints on cutting the details for images (e.g., Spongebob) when the feature you select has you cut items of a different color in the same cut?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #2224
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybugandi45 View Post
Hi
I'm betting that there is already an answer to this question buried in the 58 pages of this thread but Im hoping maybe something has changed. I have the Expression. Have had it for 5 years maybe but just recently started using it a lot. The issue I have is not really with the Cricut but with the paper. I use Stampin Up and the whisper white is terrible for cutting. It just shreds. Drives me crazy....is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have an idea why this happens? Should I give up and try another brand? If so, can you please recommend another brand?
I emailed SU! Looking for an answer and all I got was 'we will look into this but you wont hear back from us.....just understand that we are discussing this issue'....argh
Hi Laurie! I had that problem with SU paper as well. Try reducing your pressure and blade and use the multi-cut feature...worked for me!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #2225
Glitter Guru

Has anyone heard the official release date for cricut craft room...I am really anxious to try it out!!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #2226
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniedln View Post
Does anyone have any hints on cutting the details for images (e.g., Spongebob) when the feature you select has you cut items of a different color in the same cut?
If you have design studio you can cut them one at a time. Otherwise the only thing you can do is cut all of the shapes in all of the colors you need and throw away the unneeded ones.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #2227
Polyshrink Goddess

If you have a Gypsy, you can omit the parts you don't want to cut. Then make the cut, omit the other part and cut again. Works great and saves paper.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #2228
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybugandi45 View Post
Hi
I'm betting that there is already an answer to this question buried in the 58 pages of this thread but Im hoping maybe something has changed. I have the Expression. Have had it for 5 years maybe but just recently started using it a lot. The issue I have is not really with the Cricut but with the paper. I use Stampin Up and the whisper white is terrible for cutting. It just shreds. Drives me crazy....is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have an idea why this happens? Should I give up and try another brand? If so, can you please recommend another brand?
I emailed SU! Looking for an answer and all I got was 'we will look into this but you wont hear back from us.....just understand that we are discussing this issue'....argh
I have this trouble with some of the older SU paper, its very fiberous and does shred. Some colors cut beautifully...some do not! I have had excellent results with American crafts white paper { I do recieve AC cardstock as part of my DT position, but I love it so much I buy it as well} It really cuts like a dream!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #2229
Stampin' Fool

does anyone know why when you try to redeem your cricut points, the only mailing option is fedex express which they charge ten bucks for??? they dont give us the option to choose which way we would like it mailed....i dont like that
Old 04-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #2230
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by frou frou View Post
I have this trouble with some of the older SU paper, its very fiberous and does shred. Some colors cut beautifully...some do not! I have had excellent results with American crafts white paper { I do recieve AC cardstock as part of my DT position, but I love it so much I buy it as well} It really cuts like a dream!
have you tried using a cutting guide? there's a link somewhere on here, or if someone knows it off hand from aboverubiestudio that is excellent!!! i've used it even on very detailed cuttings and it works excellent!!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #2231
Crimping Master

love above Rubies! wonderful info for sure!!

The only problem I ever have is with older paper...yep some of my paper has been hanging around for many years! I just know to use that for cards and not to cut with! LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #2232
Swapper of the Month December 2011

I have a question for anyone. I have an expression but I don't know if this makes any difference to my question....does anyone have the Home Decor cartridge?? I'm specifically talking about the awesome cupcake on this cartridge.........is there a way to just cut the wrapper? I want my wrapper brown and the actual cake white. How can I just cut the wrapper in brown CS and not have to waste so much CS by having the cake print too? Help! Thanks too.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #2233
Glitter Queen

So, I have MTC because I was using it with my Cricut and now I can't! If I take the plunge, and purchase SCAL, and don't update it - will I be able to continue using it after ProvoCraft gets their way, and settles the lawsuit with them?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #2234
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by romomalley View Post
So, I have MTC because I was using it with my Cricut and now I can't! If I take the plunge, and purchase SCAL, and don't update it - will I be able to continue using it after ProvoCraft gets their way, and settles the lawsuit with them?
Did you update MTC after it was changed? I have MTC and can still use it with my Cricut. I just can't update MTC anymore.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #2235
Glitter Queen

Unfortunately, yes, so now I cannot use it anymore. I wish I would not have updated! I didn't realize what had happened between MTC and Cricut.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #2236
Forum Fanatic

Do you still have the older exe file from when you downloaded it before? If so you can just install it again from that one. I always save my exe file in case I can't get the program again.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #2237
Polyshrink Goddess

I have decorated my cricut using vinyl and cartridges...cindy loo and cricut sampler. what do you think... xx jo xx
Attached Thumbnails
100_1827.jpg  
Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglake View Post
I have decorated my cricut using vinyl and cartridges...cindy loo and cricut sampler. what do you think... xx jo xx
Hello UK you're far away! One of the best reasons for SCS....speaking to ladies around the world.

I love your Cricut artwork. Fantastic idea! I've had vinyl sitting around for a few years......I know what to do with it now. I hope its still workable?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #2239

I have a question for anyone. I have an expression but I don't know if this makes any difference to my question....does anyone have the Home Decor cartridge?? I'm specifically talking about the awesome cupcake on this cartridge.........is there a way to just cut the wrapper? I want my wrapper brown and the actual cake white. How can I just cut the wrapper in brown CS and not have to waste so much CS by having the cake print too? Help! Thanks too.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #2240
Glitter Queen

No, I do not have the original exe file. My husband re-imaged our computer, so it was not saved. Thanks for the idea though. Any other ideas?