Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #2081
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to sandyh124 Send a message via Yahoo to sandyh124
Smile Cardstock tearing and not cutting right

Quote:
Originally Posted by deipara View Post
I just got a Cricut Expression for Christmas. LOVE it, but I'm having an issue cutting through cardstock. It's tearing and ripping which is starting to drive me nuts.
It seems like everything I have cut this week has torn or not cut completely. It's enough to make you tear your hair out. I am using a different cardstock than usual, but it should have been fine. The paper weight was about the same. I like to cut the 3D flowers from SVG Cuts and I've run out of the paper that I used originally for them. Now I'm trying to find the right combination to use all this great colored cs that I have accumulated (Bazzill, Paper Co, etc.). Cleaned the blade housing, changed the blade, speed and pressure, even checked to make sure the blade isn't caddywhompus in the housing when loading it and used a new mat.

So, I took a break for a day and came back to it this afternoon. Time to play again when I'm not so frustrated with it. Of course, I did take out this really wicked looking letter opener that I have and had a serious discussion with my E to the tune of, "you too can become toaster chips if you don't behave!" I actually got a whole card done tonight and everything cut really well. My little pep talk might have worked. Next step - I'll reset it to factory defaults if I need to.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #2082
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmtinsley View Post
The expression has only been out 3 or 4 yrs I think. I got my baby bug in Dec. 2006 and the expression wasn't out then. I have an expression now but my baby bug still works fine. I think it would depend on how much it is used.
On the first page of this forum, someone mentions that they first came out in 6/07 if that helps. Also, I've had mine from the beginning and have had no problems with it, but I also went for a couple of years without using it, so a lot would probably depend on useage.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #2083
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Palm View Post
I have a question about how long people have had their Cricut Expressions? Someone on a list said that most of them only last 3 years and you are lucky if it lasts 4 years. Anyone have one that has lasted longer?
I have had mine since the summer of 2008. Mine is working just the same now as it did then.

I would imagine one factor of the machines not working as long is if it is moved a lot (this is just a guess, I don't know this for sure.) For example, is it brought to crops? Is it stored in a closet and removed for use? Even if a person is careful, it might disturb some of the components inside or something in the computer portion of it.

The biggest factor I would imagine is how much it is used. My cricut can go for weeks w/o any cuts at all and then I use it a lot.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #2084
Mad Swapper

Default Gypsy freebie - Smiley Cards - crashes!!

I'm very frustrated right now. I really wanted to use the free "cartridge" Smiley Cards that you get if you register your Gypsy but every time I try to access it the program crashes. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions? I can't use it without the Gypsy since it is one of those that is only on the Gypsy. I really wanted to make cute cupcake signs for the school bake sale! Help!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #2085
Stazon Splitcoast

Jenn and Karen, thank you so much for the suggestions! I went and bought new blades tonight and then tried it out with the speed on Low, pressure on Medium, and 3 Multicuts and it's working!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #2086
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Jenn and Karen, thank you so much for the suggestions! I went and bought new blades tonight and then tried it out with the speed on Low, pressure on Medium, and 3 Multicuts and it's working!!!!
Yea!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #2087
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
So happy to hear it! Have FUN!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #2088
Mad Swapper

Question Cricut Vinyl - repositionable?

Is the Cricut vinyl repositionable? Can I put it on a wall and then remove it and put it somewhere else. Or is it stuck to the wall permanently?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #2089
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyteaspoon View Post
Is the Cricut vinyl repositionable? Can I put it on a wall and then remove it and put it somewhere else. Or is it stuck to the wall permanently?
As far as I know it is not repositionable, but can easily be removed, if done within 2 years, from the wall in order to paint or put a new saying up.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #2090
Rubber Obsessor

Default Repositionable vinyl

Quote:
I have cut a good bit of vinyl with my Expression, especially for Christmas - snowflakes and a greeting for my patio window and gold snowflakes on my fireplace and wall. When taking down the vinyl it was nearly impossible to do so without stretching the piece out of shape, or sticking it to another part of itself. While you may be luckier than I was in removal I am not sure it is possible to get the vinyl back into the original shape to position correctly in a new spot. My DH worked for a sign shop two years ago, he says that the longer vinyl is in one place the more chance the adhesive can separate too. (This can be removed from surfaces with a gum eraser - did that succesfully!)Just my opinion though - if someone's come up with a good way to do this I would love to know about it.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #2091
Die Cut Diva

Default "tic" marks wont cut with Sure Cuts Alot

I am trying to cut a SVG file using Sure Cuts Alot on my Cricut. The "tic" marks for folding wont cut. Want am I doing wrong?

Bonnie
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #2092
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnf1n View Post
I am trying to cut a SVG file using Sure Cuts Alot on my Cricut. The "tic" marks for folding wont cut. Want am I doing wrong?

Bonnie
Is it possible that the "tics" are on a different layer? Check the toolbar for the layers folder and see if there are additional layers. I don't use the tic - marks, I delete them on my SCAL files and use a Scor-Buddy to make my folds. I don't know of any other reason they might not cut.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #2093
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh124 View Post
I have cut a good bit of vinyl with my Expression, especially for Christmas - snowflakes and a greeting for my patio window and gold snowflakes on my fireplace and wall. When taking down the vinyl it was nearly impossible to do so without stretching the piece out of shape, or sticking it to another part of itself. While you may be luckier than I was in removal I am not sure it is possible to get the vinyl back into the original shape to position correctly in a new spot. My DH worked for a sign shop two years ago, he says that the longer vinyl is in one place the more chance the adhesive can separate too. (This can be removed from surfaces with a gum eraser - did that succesfully!)Just my opinion though - if someone's come up with a good way to do this I would love to know about it.
thank you! I was hoping to be able to make some quotes and easily move them around -- like some of the vinyl words you can purchase in stores.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #2094
Inking Addict

subbing
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #2095
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh124 View Post
Is it possible that the "tics" are on a different layer? Check the toolbar for the layers folder and see if there are additional layers. I don't use the tic - marks, I delete them on my SCAL files and use a Scor-Buddy to make my folds. I don't know of any other reason they might not cut.
I will check this out. I hope layering is the problem

Bonnie
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #2096
Mad Swapper

I thought I could use all my cartridges with the Cricut Design Studio. I wanted to cut the teacup from my Wall Decor and More cartridge but that cartridge is not on the design studios list. What the heck?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #2097
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I thought I could use all my cartridges with the Cricut Design Studio. I wanted to cut the teacup from my Wall Decor and More cartridge but that cartridge is not on the design studios list. What the heck?
Have you updated your library?
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #2098
Gabfest Goddess

Wall Decor And More | My Cricut Scrapbooking

scroll down some and you will info about 5 Design Studio Font packs.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #2099
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesgram View Post
Wall Decor And More | My Cricut Scrapbooking

scroll down some and you will info about 5 Design Studio Font packs.
I'll have to try again. Everytime I try to update Design Studio freezes on me.

Added: Thank you! By downloading the update directly I now have the cartridge in Design Studio.

Last edited by craftyteaspoon; 02-21-2011 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #2100
Mad Swapper

Has anyone heard when the Cricut Expression 2 will be available? I want to upgrade from my baby Cricut to one capable of doing 12x12 but if a new one is available soon I will wait.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #2101
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I'll have to try again. Everytime I try to update Design Studio freezes on me.

Added: Thank you! By downloading the update directly I now have the cartridge in Design Studio.
Glad that worked for you! Your welcome.

Sorry, no I have heard nothing about Cricut 2. Will keep my ears open though.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #2102
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Has anyone heard when the Cricut Expression 2 will be available? I want to upgrade from my baby Cricut to one capable of doing 12x12 but if a new one is available soon I will wait.
Obsessed with Scrapbooking: Cricut Expression 2: Anniversary Edition Plus Cricut Craftroom and MORE!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #2103
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Cricut Expression 2 and CraftRoom Design Tool | Discount Cricut Cartridges & Machines
Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #2104
Gabfest Goddess

Cricut® news
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #2105
Mad Swapper

Thank you again "davesgram". That is pretty much the same news I've read about it but the articles do not mention when it will be available. I need to know! LOL
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #2106
Gabfest Goddess

Doesn't look like the released date has been announced.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #2107
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Doesn't look like the released date has been announced.
I wish they would! I read on someone's blog that HSN or QVC would have it 4/26 but I haven't seen that anywhere else nor can I find that blog again.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #2108
Embossing Fanatic

I also read that it would be on HSN or QVC exclusively and in March. I thought I read mid-march.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #2109
Embossing Fanatic

What is the difference between a Cricuit and Cricuit Expression?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 AM   #2110
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannoe View Post
What is the difference between a Cricuit and Cricuit Expression?
The Expression is the larger one and uses a 12x12 cutting mat. The regular Cricut and Cricut Create is smaller and uses a 6x12 cutting mat. Some people call the smaller Cricut the Baby Bug.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #2111
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm in a brain fog so help me please - I already have DS for my cricut and am happy with it and the carts I have can I run SCAL along with it or is it an either or situation? (warranties for my products are long over so I just want to know if I can have the best of both worlds if I so choose).
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #2112
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I'm in a brain fog so help me please - I already have DS for my cricut and am happy with it and the carts I have can I run SCAL along with it or is it an either or situation? (warranties for my products are long over so I just want to know if I can have the best of both worlds if I so choose).
SCAL does not work with the Cricut cartridges, but it does allow you to cut all sorts of images and fonts that you have downloaded onto your computer. I use it and really like it. I use my Gypsy to design with my Cricut cartridges. It would be neat if there was one program that could do it all.

Provo Craft just announced that they will be opening up a Cricut Craft Room, which will be an online design studio and we will be able to create and cut from their whole library of images. That would be great! If you would like to read the information here is the link: Cricut News
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #2113
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennunder View Post
SCAL does not work with the Cricut cartridges, but it does allow you to cut all sorts of images and fonts that you have downloaded onto your computer. I use it and really like it. I use my Gypsy to design with my Cricut cartridges. It would be neat if there was one program that could do it all.

Provo Craft just announced that they will be opening up a Cricut Craft Room, which will be an online design studio and we will be able to create and cut from their whole library of images. That would be great! If you would like to read the information here is the link: Cricut News
Thanks - I can do both which is what would work for me! I think I might be buying myself a birthday present!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #2114
Mad Swapper

Question How do I use SVG files?

If I have a SVG file how do I use it with my Cricut? Do I have to have SCAL or another similar program?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #2115
Gallery Gazer

To use an SVG file you need a third party software, SCAL or Make the Cut (MTC).
I can only go on the software I have MTC, that you can cut many types of files besides SVG. I don't know about SCAL.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #2116
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
If I have a SVG file how do I use it with my Cricut? Do I have to have SCAL or another similar program?
I have SCAL and love it! Check this out:
Craft Edge: Software to cut True Type fonts on your Cricut Machine
My Adventures with Cricut, SCAL and Inkscape
YouTube - SCAL V2.0 - Cut out ANYTHING with your Cricut!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #2117
Gabfest Goddess

This is my absolute favorite blog. Sign up and get a free svg file every week. And there are tons on the site! Enjoy~
SVGCuts.com*|*Free SVG Files for Sure Cuts A Lot
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #2118
Gabfest Goddess

I love this page of tutorials! The directions are so clear! You will learn so much. Just try a couple and get all your questions answered!

http://www.svgcuts.com/blog/category/tutorials/
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #2119
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I love this page of tutorials! The directions are so clear! You will learn so much. Just try a couple and get all your questions answered!

SVGCuts.com*|*Archive*|*SVG 101
just quoting so I can see the link. Why it's not showing up for me in your post is beyond me. Weirdness.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #2120
Polyshrink Goddess

"Provo Craft just announced that they will be opening up a Cricut Craft Room, which will be an online design studio and we will be able to create and cut from their whole library of images. That would be great! If you would like to read the information here is the link: Cricut News"

This is not quite accurate. According to the "Cricut News", you can create from the whole library of images, but will only be able to cut out images from cartridges that you own.