Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #801
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelsmom View Post
What about pumpkins for the toppers, I made with the Cricut, I cut out the ovals and layered them, really cute pumpkin, I just cut the stem freehand out of gree cs.
what ovals are you talking about? i dont have the george basics cart i know that has an oval, are there any other ones that have anything that resembles a pumpkin. i was playing with "speaking of fall" cart that i borrowed from a friend of mine and was thinking of doing the letter "h"for harvest but it didnt work or i didnt do it right, lol.....i am just trying or aiming for something my daughter can "help" me with cause she's just as excited as i am bout this machine( can you imagine that?? more excitement???? lol, rofl...)
Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #802
Insane Embellisher

I don't have the george cart either, it was either on the home accents or plantin srotybook cart, that is the 2 I use the most. I am at work or I could look and see which one it is actually on. I will look tonight.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #803
Crimping Master

got a question. does the smaller cutting mat not work with the cricut expression? i went and bought some like last week, tried using one of them twice(three times, one just now...) and it moves around on the machine when it's cutting. the larger mat works fantastic with it.

note to self: thank gosh for saving all that odd ball cardstock that you know you'd never use for things like this while getting used to the cricut..saving massive amounts of money!! lol

another question: i know you can do quantity if you are just using the machine itself...but how do you do quantity while using the software...i will still look, but just wondering if anyone else knew?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #804
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelsmom View Post
I don't have the george cart either, it was either on the home accents or plantin srotybook cart, that is the 2 I use the most. I am at work or I could look and see which one it is actually on. I will look tonight.
okies, i will look on those carts..i think i have both. the plantin was one of the freebies i was allowed to keep with the new replacement machine
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #805
Crimping Master

i found a pumpkin on "speaking of fall" cart. i havent cut one out yet to see what size i need, but there is a pumpkin with the stem.....
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #806
Insane Embellisher

I don't have that one, I have the feeling I will go bankrupt with all the different cartridges that I want. I recieved Picturesque with my CE and then I bought the other 3 from ebay, I got real good prices, the highest one was 37.00 and it had the spatula with it, so I thought that was good. the spatula was supposed to come with it but it didn't.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #807
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
The expression can only use the 12 x 12 or the 12 x 24 mat. The rollers on either side of the cutting area have to make and keep contact with the mat in order for it to move and the 6 x 12 mats are too small for that.
I don't have an expression, just the baby bug but can you turn the mat with the long side going in the cricut? just a thought. I would be interested in know this because I am getting the expression sometime soon. just got to pay some other expenses first.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #808
Gabfest Goddess

Can someone direct me to a cart that has a scalloped edge feature (square, rectangle, any shape)?
thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #809
Crimping Master

i was just looking thru the carts......there's one called "bag, boxes, tags" or something like that, lol. when i was playing w/the plantin schoolbook cart, there's a few boxes on that one .....i was going to try and get a christmas one but have a girlfriend who just got the winter woodland one and we were playing with it on my first broke machine...that cart does a whole village!!! i need to borrow it again huh? lol......which reminds me, i need to take her "speaking of fall" cart back....rofl, lol....
Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #810
Crimping Master

Quote:
I think storybook and/or mini monograms are your best bets.
storybook?? is that the whole name? is there one that does different shapes?? like squares, circles and such....?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #811
Die Cut Diva

mini monograms has a scalloped circle and scalloped square, Celebrations also has a scalloped square and circle.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #812
Crimping Master

i keep cutting off the paper on the mat i'm using...i know there's a paper size button, but i dont see how i adjust it to use with 8 1/2 X 11 paper....i dont want to have to go get 12X12 cardstock......anyone?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #813
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommarocks View Post
i keep cutting off the paper on the mat i'm using...i know there's a paper size button, but i dont see how i adjust it to use with 8 1/2 X 11 paper....i dont want to have to go get 12X12 cardstock......anyone?
Adhere your paper to the bottom left corner of the mat. Move the blade to the top right corner of the paper after you have loaded the mat into the machine. Press the Set Paper Size button. It's near the Cut button. The screen will tell you how big your paper is and will cut everything according to that size paper. Your images will still be the sizes you set, but it will only cut them out where you have the paper adhered.

HTH, Helen
Old 10-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #814
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
storybook?? is that the whole name? is there one that does different shapes?? like squares, circles and such....?
Storybook Cartridge is awesome! HERE is a link to the handbook so you can check it out. It has a very pretty font, the top note that a lot of people are looking for, great intricate frames, flowers, vines, leaves, scalloped shapes and more! A must have, imo! I really like it in case you can't tell! LOL!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #815
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by natlhol View Post
Adhere your paper to the bottom left corner of the mat. Move the blade to the top right corner of the paper after you have loaded the mat into the machine. Press the Set Paper Size button. It's near the Cut button. The screen will tell you how big your paper is and will cut everything according to that size paper. Your images will still be the sizes you set, but it will only cut them out where you have the paper adhered.

HTH, Helen
thanks so much helen!!! worked fabulous!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #816
Kookie Creator

Quote:
thanks so much helen!!! worked fabulous!!!

You're welcome! I was thrilled when I figured it out! Saves a lot of paper from mistakes....
Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #817
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I think storybook and/or mini monograms are your best bets.
Thanks, those are two I had not checked yet. I am going down the list at cricut.com trying to find one.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #818
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmtinsley View Post
mini monograms has a scalloped circle and scalloped square, Celebrations also has a scalloped square and circle.
checked min monograms and yes it does, will check Celebrations.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #819
Crimping Master

now i just thought of something that i'm going to have to "have"...lol....the bigger xyron sticker maker.....it's like 50bucks so i'm going to wait till they're on sale to get one. the refills are like 40 but with alot of refill........ i found some adheasive sheets (thanks leslie!!) but they were being discontinued sooooo if they work i'm going to see if someone or somewhere else sells it.....
Old 10-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #820
Crimping Master

i forget and push the button wayyyy too soon. i was playing with the "speaking of fall" cart and was doing pilgrims....dumb question, lol dont laugh....pilgrims outfits are grey or brown??? i got the apron and the little head covering for the girl....i know the shoes and hats are black??? ughh....lol thanks....any more ideas using this cart? i'm just trying to spruce up a corkboard in the kitchen
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #821
Crimping Master

didnt have time to play with the pilgrim colors(i found the perfect shade of brown for the suits) cause of handing out candy and such.....now i'm too tired to play...yes i know, how bad of me right....lol...there's tomorrow .........
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #822
Crimping Master

ok, now hopefully i'll play while i do laundry....lol anywho.....i know there's a feature on some of the carts that do cards.....i'm trying to figure out the size and how to configure that.....will play today...and hopefully i'll play with my bulletin board.....

who else is playing?

any ideas on cards other wise?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #823
Cardstock Collector

My critut is used, so both the mat and blade have some mileage on them already. How do I know when they need to be replaced? Can I clean the mat and continue to use it? I think the fact that it's got some paper fluff stuck on it might be causing some of the problems I'mm having with getting clean cuts. Help!
alison
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #824
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alih View Post
My critut is used, so both the mat and blade have some mileage on them already. How do I know when they need to be replaced? Can I clean the mat and continue to use it? I think the fact that it's got some paper fluff stuck on it might be causing some of the problems I'mm having with getting clean cuts. Help!
alison

I have a lot of mileage on mine too and my blade is still going strong. Does your blade still make clean cuts? I suppose they are cheap enough if in doubt swith it out! LOL!! Like my little poem! For cleaning the mat, I like to use a very soft scrubber, warm water, and I have a suds saver and so I use a little foam soap. If it is still not sticky I used Aleene's Tack it over and over glue thinned out with water to make my mats sticky again. It works great and is fast and very inexpensive. I have a video tutorial HERE. HTH!!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #825
Glitter Queen

Smile Re-tackifying

Hi,
I've heard that Krylon makes a spray-on tacky spray that works great for getting the mats retacky. Anyone tried this, or know where to buy it? I've looked, but can't find it.
Or...are there any other great ideas? I'm sure some of you ladies have some!
Thanks!
Annette
Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #826
Gabfest Goddess

I ve tried this and it works. Lightly spray, then using both hands, repeatedly lay them atop, taking away some of the tackiness. paper sticks great.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #827
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaStamps View Post
Hi,
I've heard that Krylon makes a spray-on tacky spray that works great for getting the mats retacky. Anyone tried this, or know where to buy it? I've looked, but can't find it.
Or...are there any other great ideas? I'm sure some of you ladies have some!
Thanks!
Annette
I tried this and it did not work. I made a frame out of cardboard so I wouldn't get the spray where the rollers go and everything. At first it wasn't sticky so I thought I didn't spray enough then it was too sticky. I had to just throw two of mats away. Maybe I just wasn't doing something right! I did post previously what I have found to work for me. I have tried several of different methods. Good luck finding what works for you.

Last edited by Hiding in My Craft Room; 11-02-2009 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: misspelled word! oops!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #828
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Masking might be easier than making a cardboard frame. I've never tried spraying my mat with anything but I think most people use masking tape when they do.
Making the frame was super easy. I just layed down a piece of 12 X 12 CS, traced it, then cut it out with an exacto knife. Plus it is reusable!! It was the spray that didn't work for me.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #829
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
But wouldn't the spray seep under the edge of the frame??
I didn't have that problem, but like I said I really didn't like that method at all!!! I cut on the inside of my trace line so a little seepage wouldn't have mattered. I guess. But I really didn't notice any. A lot of finding what works has just been a lot of research and a lot of trail and error. What method do you like best?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #830
Stampin' Fool

Can you cut 'slits' with the cricut? I am trying to make a bunch of tiny little 'v's on some cs and can't figure out how or even IF it can be done. I want to make some 'v's and then fold the tip down. Does that make sense? TIA
Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #831
Die Cut Diva

I just tried the Aleen'es TIO&O diluted with water, and it was WAY too sticky. My paper is sticking so strongly to the mat that it's ripping, and I've never had that problem. And I dont' want to stick my hands all over my mat either. I think I'm going to either go back to the spray adhesive or try the Zig glue markers. (Maybe I can dilute the Aileen's with a little more water.)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #832
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
I just tried the Aleen'es TIO&O diluted with water, and it was WAY too sticky. My paper is sticking so strongly to the mat that it's ripping, and I've never had that problem. And I dont' want to stick my hands all over my mat either. I think I'm going to either go back to the spray adhesive or try the Zig glue markers. (Maybe I can dilute the Aileen's with a little more water.)

I make mine really thin and put a just a thin coat on the mat with a foam brush. Walking your hands over the mat is just to condition it. And NOTHING should come off on your hands. It might not be necessary; however the back of the bottle says something about when using it do that, but using it diluted it might not be needed. Also, make sure and let it dry before conditioning or using. I first discovered this method about 6 months ago. I have been using TIO&O for my SU unmounted stamps and it just dawned on me that it might work for my cricut mats b/c I had tried sooo much other methods that were messy or that I just didn't like. And had PLENTY of mats to play around with b/c I just kept buying them and saving them hoping I would find something that worked for me. I used it for months before sharing I wanted to make sure it works. If you can figure it out I think you will like it, but we are all different and what works for one might not be what someone else prefers. I just am really liking it! Obviously! LOL!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #833
Die Cut Diva

I just scrub the mat really good with soapy water and it miraculously comes back to life!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #834
Crimping Master

i'll have to try something when my mats arent so sticky.....nto to that point yet, lol.....

anyone get those "mini" cartridges...its those ones for 20bucks?? one of them has snowflakes, diff designs...the only reason why i ask is cuz hsn had them on a scrapbooking show they were doing yesterday......the detail on the snowflake one is awesome!!! i almost ordered it....lol
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #835
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJill View Post
Can you cut 'slits' with the cricut? I am trying to make a bunch of tiny little 'v's on some cs and can't figure out how or even IF it can be done. I want to make some 'v's and then fold the tip down. Does that make sense? TIA
Anyone know the answer to this? Please?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #836
Crimping Master

Quote:
i'll have to try something when my mats arent so sticky.....nto to that point yet, lol.....

anyone get those "mini" cartridges...its those ones for 20bucks?? one of them has snowflakes, diff designs...the only reason why i ask is cuz hsn had them on a scrapbooking show they were doing yesterday......the detail on the snowflake one is awesome!!! i almost ordered it....lol
I ordered all 3 of the new mini carts got a great deal and neeeded all 3 i suppose. Can't wait to try them out.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #837
Glitter Queen

Send a message via MSN to kadamczyk

Oh my, I'm well over 20 cartridges now, but I think I'm done -- I sure hope so

Karin Adamczyk
http://cricutcanada.blogspot.com
Old 11-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #838
Matboard Maniac

Default newbie has a few questions

I was given a used cricut last night, my kids looked at me like I was nuts as I was screaming with excitement I tried it out ( still need to look at directions more) after I cut something, the paper stuck to the mat so bad it ripped when coming up, any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #839
Rubber Obsessor

I saw a tutorial on Youtube on how to de-sticky your new cutting mat. Place your hands all over the mat a few time. The oils from your hands will de-sticky it just enough so that your paper will come off easily. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #840
Glitter Guru

For super-sticky mats, press a clean t-shirt down and lift it up (maybe twice if your paper is still tearing).

Congratulations on your Cricut!