Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #801
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaibauer View Post
I've had my Expression for 2 weeks now and I cannot even begin to describe the amount of expensive paper I have wasted trying to get a clean cut from my Cricut. I need help. Is there a cheat sheet with cutting settings to use when cutting Bazzill or Papertrey Ink cardstock? Now matter what do my pieces are shredded or not cut completely through the page. I am also using Scal 2.0 so the multi cut option isn't an option.

I use mostly SU cs and keep my setting on 6 and high pressure - usually does well.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #802
Total Quack

Font update for Design Studio ...

http://www.cricu*****m/cds/Update.aspx

Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #803
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I've had my Expression for 2 weeks now and I cannot even begin to describe the amount of expensive paper I have wasted trying to get a clean cut from my Cricut. I need help. Is there a cheat sheet with cutting settings to use when cutting Bazzill or Papertrey Ink cardstock? Now matter what do my pieces are shredded or not cut completely through the page. I am also using Scal 2.0 so the multi cut option isn't an option.
What do you have the setting at? For SU and PTI I have mine at blade depth 6, speed high, and pressure max with NO problems. Also, make sure your blade is securely in place, making sure that the little screw is tight and that is doesn't move around. You should not need to use multi cut unless you are using chipboard. If you are still having problems call customer service. They are quick to please and fix problems.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #804
Gabfest Goddess

Catarina,
i would also suggest you stop using your good paper until you get the machine set the way you want. Use scraps or copy paper, or paper sack or anything but good paper. Check out some you tube videos, there is a wealth of info there, I have learned a lot just watching the videos.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #805
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
It sounds like you have a bad blade. Try using a new one. If it is a bad blade, I would let PC know, and they'll probably send you a replacement. HTH.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #806
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapjanny View Post
It sounds like you have a bad blade. Try using a new one. If it is a bad blade, I would let PC know, and they'll probably send you a replacement. HTH.
Agreed - the blade that came with my machine did the same thing, once I got a new blade, it worked like a charm.

BTW - I went through my slabs of paper and picked out all the sheets I'd never use and instead of giving them away I use them for practice/test sheets so I don't feel bad if the cut is not what I was expecting.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #807
Embossing Fanatic

you can multicut with scal...just don't take out your mat...leave it be and click cut again.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #808
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chika87 View Post
you can multicut with scal...just don't take out your mat...leave it be and click cut again.

There is a different problem is you need to use multicut with SU or PTI cardstock. Please check your settings.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #809
Rubber Obsessor

Default SCAL Firmware for Cricut Create

This may be off the current topic, but I'm hoping someone can help me. Iím a Mac user, and I REALLY want to start using SCAL on my brand-new Cricut Create! I downloaded the trial version to be sure it is what I want (it is!). I created a test project, and when I tried to cut, it told me I needed firmware 1.51. My Create had 1.50, so I tracked down a Windows computer, installed the trial version of Design Studio, and followed the instructions to update my firmware. But now I have 1.52, and SCAL wonít cut! Any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #810
Crimping Master

Quote:
i'm am really new to the cricut(just got it a week or so ago....) but have learned that if you dont have the right pressure setting, that might be some of the reason it's not cutting all the way through. i am not sure about the paper you're using(bazzill).......i was having a really hard time cutting thru chipboard because it was getting all bunched up where it was cutting. someone told me on here i had to use the multi function thingie. i watched the cricut video(the intro one) on cricu*****m and they said doing chipboard or anything thick, it's better to use the slow speed and with the deep cutting blade. so far so good. hope that helps or works for you
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #811
Insane Embellisher

Well I am still loving my CE, I spent this weekend in my craft room. I have made 9 cards and 6 boxes/bags, I had so much fun and I did come out for food and bathroom breaks, and I actually cleaned house Saturday morning before I went into to play, and I took a break and made chocolate chip cookies, I needed my fix!!!! Friday here at work I watched several youtube videos and learned all kinds of tricks, so I really had fun. Hope everyone else is enjoying and learning about thier Cricut.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #812
Forum Fanatic

Here's a site with a big info sheet on settings:
http://www.aboverubiesstudio.com/

click on the blurb where it mentions the cricut cutting guide. It has settings for just about every paper brand on it and I think for different materials too.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #813
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblesistersmom View Post
Just got my cricut today. I'm having a terrible time reading this post and pronouncing it correctly because my oh so grammatical self wants to say CRY cut instead of cricket!
welcome to the madness!!! lol...

i finally get to really play tomorrow, a girlfriend of mine is coming over and bringing her cartridges so we can play!!! gonna be so much fun.....
Old 10-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #814
Crimping Master

ok, got to play today finally and was doing good until my friend and i realized there wasnt certain cartridges on the software(design studio). i called cricut and they said i had to uninstall and then go to cricu*****m and reinstall the updated version of the design studio software. here's the problem. up to that point of reinstalling, i had to problems with cutting and such....now though, it will only do 2 or 3 cuts of whatever and then the program will "freeze" and i have to close the program and shut off the cricut machine itself. i've been trying to get someone from cricut on the phone, but not able to get through yet.......i will try again in the morning, but wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

thanks much!!

btw, my friend had winter woodland cart, omg...it's awesome!!!! it does a village and everything....
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #815
Glitter Guru

there is also an update for the cricut machine I think. under the help menu, select update cricut firmware.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #816
Crimping Master

Cricut Machine Freezing?
If you've encountered any "freezing" or "hanging" while trying to cut, please try the following: 1) A simple power cycle should recover you completely (press the power off, wait a few seconds and press it back on). 2) This may be associated with "hot swapping" of cartridges, or switching out cartridges without turning the machine off first. While "hot swapping" will not hurt your Cricut, you may try powering off first before removing/inserting a new cartridge, then powering back on. This just cleans out the memory and starts fresh. Try this awhile and see if it makes any difference if you are encountering any periodic freezes.

i found above paragraph on cricu*****m. it took me awhile to find it, not sure if it works though yet. will let you know.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #817
Glitter Guru

just a note for those that have design studio - if you create something using more than one cartridge, you have to "hot swap" the cartridges. I never turn my cricut off to swap cartridges and have rarely had a problem. I do know that it needs a break occasionally. I take mine to my scrapbook retreats and it is on almost the entire weekend. We have to shut it down for a little bit sometimes to give it a break. LOL
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #818
Crimping Master

ok having a bad day in cricut land...lol....it turns out that the chip that's inside the machine that allows the software to talk to the machine is bad.....this only happened when i did the update like the people from cricu*****m said to do....they're sending me a new machine. hopefully it will be ok....lol i was just getting all excited about the software and even had some projects ready to cut....then BAM! sighs.....they said it would take up to three business days, but considering it's thursday and prob wont be processed at all until tomorrow...dang it!!! lol
Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #819
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmtinsley View Post
just a note for those that have design studio - if you create something using more than one cartridge, you have to "hot swap" the cartridges. I never turn my cricut off to swap cartridges and have rarely had a problem. I do know that it needs a break occasionally. I take mine to my scrapbook retreats and it is on almost the entire weekend. We have to shut it down for a little bit sometimes to give it a break. LOL

BUT ... when using the Design Studio the *software* tells you when to swap those carts out. Don't just do it on a whim or when you think it should be done. Wait for the program to tell you!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #820
Crimping Master

new machine is almost here....they sent it via fedex!!! the tracking just isnt saying it's "out for delivery" yet.....lol.....i sure do hope this one works fine......
Old 10-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #821
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommarocks View Post
new machine is almost here....they sent it via fedex!!! the tracking just isnt saying it's "out for delivery" yet.....lol.....i sure do hope this one works fine......
yeah, have fun, fun, fun!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #822
Crimping Master

ok, this time it only took 50min, multiple trys at updating the firmware on the new machine(for some reason it kept on failing...)and uninstalling and re-installing the software and BAM!!! it works!!!! the thing that was different is that this new machine was saying(unlike the other one...) "usb active" when it was "communicating" software to machine. the other machine never said that and was saying "cartridge error" alot and "cartridge not found".....Dallas(that was the technician's name) said that sometimes when the machines are making the cricut's the soddering isnt done correctly and doesnt give it a good connection...me and machines, i dont understand that but ok, lol.......i'm the one that left her vcr blinking for a year because i couldnt figure out how to stop it!!(ok, stop laughing you all....lol, rofl)....i did a test cut just to make sure it worked.....hehehehehe, time to play...now the kiddies just need to go to bed!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #823
Crimping Master

oh yeah, i called them to make sure before i opened it, but they said i could keep the new mat and the two cartridges that came with the new machine ....i just started giggling like a kid on christmas morning....lol......two more cartridges and they were ones i didnt have either....
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #824
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
ok, this time it only took 50min, multiple trys at updating the firmware on the new machine(for some reason it kept on failing...)and uninstalling and re-installing the software and BAM!!! it works!!!! the thing that was different is that this new machine was saying(unlike the other one...) "usb active" when it was "communicating" software to machine. the other machine never said that and was saying "cartridge error" alot and "cartridge not found".....Dallas(that was the technician's name) said that sometimes when the machines are making the cricut's the soddering isnt done correctly and doesnt give it a good connection...me and machines, i dont understand that but ok, lol.......i'm the one that left her vcr blinking for a year because i couldnt figure out how to stop it!!(ok, stop laughing you all....lol, rofl)....i did a test cut just to make sure it worked.....hehehehehe, time to play...now the kiddies just need to go to bed!!!
LOL, you are cracking me up! I'm glad you were able to get this one to work. How fun! And my sister and mom don't set the VCR either because they couldn't figure out how. If I don't set it, it will blink for the rest of their life. What can I say? I love them! LOL!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #825
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
oh yeah, i called them to make sure before i opened it, but they said i could keep the new mat and the two cartridges that came with the new machine ....i just started giggling like a kid on christmas morning....lol......two more cartridges and they were ones i didnt have either....
YAY!!!!! So exciting!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #826
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
LOL, you are cracking me up! I'm glad you were able to get this one to work. How fun! And my sister and mom don't set the VCR either because they couldn't figure out how. If I don't set it, it will blink for the rest of their life. What can I say? I love them! LOL!!!
lol, i make you laugh? i fell asleep last night before i could even think of having some quite play time without kids....and today i've been running errands for dh, soooooo....i know exactly why people have so many wrecks in my area(houston area)....they drive like idiots. i had to drive on the freeway which i honestly really, really, really dont like doing(did i say i dont like driving on freeway??lol) i saw like three wrecks/stalled vehicles and it really wasnt a far drive....the one though was right smack in the middle of the six lane part.....ughhh, freeways.....lol.....

now time to eat lunch....lol

anyone done any projects????? i'm trying to come up with a fall like topper for treat bags for saturday...trying to stay away from bats and such...yes i know weird, but hey....
Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #827
Insane Embellisher

What about pumpkins for the toppers, I made with the Cricut, I cut out the ovals and layered them, really cute pumpkin, I just cut the stem freehand out of gree cs.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #828
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelsmom View Post
What about pumpkins for the toppers, I made with the Cricut, I cut out the ovals and layered them, really cute pumpkin, I just cut the stem freehand out of gree cs.
what ovals are you talking about? i dont have the george basics cart i know that has an oval, are there any other ones that have anything that resembles a pumpkin. i was playing with "speaking of fall" cart that i borrowed from a friend of mine and was thinking of doing the letter "h"for harvest but it didnt work or i didnt do it right, lol.....i am just trying or aiming for something my daughter can "help" me with cause she's just as excited as i am bout this machine( can you imagine that?? more excitement???? lol, rofl...)
Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #829
Insane Embellisher

I don't have the george cart either, it was either on the home accents or plantin srotybook cart, that is the 2 I use the most. I am at work or I could look and see which one it is actually on. I will look tonight.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #830
Crimping Master

got a question. does the smaller cutting mat not work with the cricut expression? i went and bought some like last week, tried using one of them twice(three times, one just now...) and it moves around on the machine when it's cutting. the larger mat works fantastic with it.

note to self: thank gosh for saving all that odd ball cardstock that you know you'd never use for things like this while getting used to the cricut..saving massive amounts of money!! lol

another question: i know you can do quantity if you are just using the machine itself...but how do you do quantity while using the software...i will still look, but just wondering if anyone else knew?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #831
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelsmom View Post
I don't have the george cart either, it was either on the home accents or plantin srotybook cart, that is the 2 I use the most. I am at work or I could look and see which one it is actually on. I will look tonight.
okies, i will look on those carts..i think i have both. the plantin was one of the freebies i was allowed to keep with the new replacement machine
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #832
Crimping Master

i found a pumpkin on "speaking of fall" cart. i havent cut one out yet to see what size i need, but there is a pumpkin with the stem.....
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #833
Insane Embellisher

I don't have that one, I have the feeling I will go bankrupt with all the different cartridges that I want. I recieved Picturesque with my CE and then I bought the other 3 from ebay, I got real good prices, the highest one was 37.00 and it had the spatula with it, so I thought that was good. the spatula was supposed to come with it but it didn't.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #834
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
got a question. does the smaller cutting mat not work with the cricut expression? i went and bought some like last week, tried using one of them twice(three times, one just now...) and it moves around on the machine when it's cutting. the larger mat works fantastic with it.

note to self: thank gosh for saving all that odd ball cardstock that you know you'd never use for things like this while getting used to the cricut..saving massive amounts of money!! lol

another question: i know you can do quantity if you are just using the machine itself...but how do you do quantity while using the software...i will still look, but just wondering if anyone else knew?
The expression can only use the 12 x 12 or the 12 x 24 mat. The rollers on either side of the cutting area have to make and keep contact with the mat in order for it to move and the 6 x 12 mats are too small for that.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #835
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
The expression can only use the 12 x 12 or the 12 x 24 mat. The rollers on either side of the cutting area have to make and keep contact with the mat in order for it to move and the 6 x 12 mats are too small for that.
I don't have an expression, just the baby bug but can you turn the mat with the long side going in the cricut? just a thought. I would be interested in know this because I am getting the expression sometime soon. just got to pay some other expenses first.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #836
Gabfest Goddess

Can someone direct me to a cart that has a scalloped edge feature (square, rectangle, any shape)?
thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #837
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmtinsley View Post
I don't have an expression, just the baby bug but can you turn the mat with the long side going in the cricut? just a thought. I would be interested in know this because I am getting the expression sometime soon. just got to pay some other expenses first.
I think people have but you have to cut the mat to fit. The way it is, it is too long for the width. Personally I wouldn't bother. I'd hate to ruin something because the blade ran off the mat accidentally.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #838
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesgram View Post
Can someone direct me to a cart that has a scalloped edge feature (square, rectangle, any shape)?
thanks.
I think storybook and/or mini monograms are your best bets.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #839
Crimping Master

i was just looking thru the carts......there's one called "bag, boxes, tags" or something like that, lol. when i was playing w/the plantin schoolbook cart, there's a few boxes on that one .....i was going to try and get a christmas one but have a girlfriend who just got the winter woodland one and we were playing with it on my first broke machine...that cart does a whole village!!! i need to borrow it again huh? lol......which reminds me, i need to take her "speaking of fall" cart back....rofl, lol....
Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #840
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I think storybook and/or mini monograms are your best bets.
storybook?? is that the whole name? is there one that does different shapes?? like squares, circles and such....?