Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #561
Pearl-ExPert

Default Cutting Stampin' Up Cardstock with Expression

Hi.....I have a huge problem getting a clean cut using the Stampin' Up cardstock in the Expression or Cricut. I know it's not my machines since I am on my second Expression and also use my Cricut for cutting the same paper.

I use the settings of Blade 5, Pressure High, Speed High. Even going to Max for the Pressure and Speed gives me a terrible cut. The edges of my cut come out rough and with a slight curl up instead of slightly curling to the back as they should.

I can cut Bazzill (which is textured) and Worldwin (65lb) cardstocks with settings of Blade 5, Pressure 4 High, Speed Med. (These are the settings I use for any cardstock of at least 60lb. I get a clean, smooth cut everytime.

Why doesn't the Stampin' Up cardstock cut nicely in the Expression or Cricut??

What weight does Stampin' Up claim their cardstock is? All the Stampin' Up cardstock is useless to me if this is the case.

Anyone else have the same issues?

Patti
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #562
Forum Fanatic

Have you tried a new blade? I have no problems cutting SU cardstock in both of my cricuts (original and expression).

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #563
Total Quack

Yep ... try a new blade. I use max on everything when cutting SU, but I have NO issues with it at all.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #564
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks ladies for your reply. The Expression machine I used this morning is brand new out of the box includes new blade. It doesn't cut any different than the older machine (now defective) and my Cricut. So the blade is not the problem.

Since the Stampin' Up is a lighter weight cardstock, it should not require the Max settings on the machine. I cut much heavier weight cardstock and still don't use Max settings.

Oh well, I will stick with the Bazzill textured cardstock. I prefer that more anyway. I know I'm not the only one being unhappy with the Stampin' Up paper in the machines. Many of the people I teach have said the same thing.

I'll use the Stampin' Up as scrap paper till it's gone.

Thanks again for your responses.

Patti
Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #565
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
Thanks ladies for your reply. The Expression machine I used this morning is brand new out of the box includes new blade. It doesn't cut any different than the older machine (now defective) and my Cricut. So the blade is not the problem.

Since the Stampin' Up is a lighter weight cardstock, it should not require the Max settings on the machine. I cut much heavier weight cardstock and still don't use Max settings.

Oh well, I will stick with the Bazzill textured cardstock. I prefer that more anyway. I know I'm not the only one being unhappy with the Stampin' Up paper in the machines. Many of the people I teach have said the same thing.

I'll use the Stampin' Up as scrap paper till it's gone.

Thanks again for your responses.

Patti

Perhaps it *shouldn't* require those settings, but that's what I use, and I have perfect edges when I cut it - on *both* of my Cricut machines. SU is just about all that I use. If I couldn't cut it, my Cricuts wouldn't be worth it to me.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #566
Forum Fanatic

To me SU is heavy-it's much heavier than bazzill. Also I've read about some people who've gotten bad blades in a brand new machine so it still wouldn't hurt to try a new blade.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #567
Matboard Maniac

I'm with you Patti on the SAME problem...."I" thought since I was new to using my Cricut (original size) that is was ME selecting the wrong settings, etc...was getting really frustrated in fact!! Glad to know it's not just me now. It's like the edges are "fuzzy" ?? and not like a sharp, crisp edge as you mentioned.

I have also had the problem with the S-UP Cardstock and punches...both S-UP and other brands. I have a BRAND new circle punch and I have to sand the edges every time whenever I use it on the S-UP cardstock...

SO, you are NOT alone...I use the S-UP cardstock for strictly my card base and that's it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #568
Total Quack

I think that because SU paper is such good quality, it takes a sharp punch or blade to cut it cleanly.

Like I said, I don't have issues with my SU paper and my Cricut. SU is almost all I use.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #569
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Hi.....I have a huge problem getting a clean cut using the Stampin' Up cardstock in the Expression or Cricut. I know it's not my machines since I am on my second Expression and also use my Cricut for cutting the same paper.

I use the settings of Blade 5, Pressure High, Speed High. Even going to Max for the Pressure and Speed gives me a terrible cut. The edges of my cut come out rough and with a slight curl up instead of slightly curling to the back as they should.

I can cut Bazzill (which is textured) and Worldwin (65lb) cardstocks with settings of Blade 5, Pressure 4 High, Speed Med. (These are the settings I use for any cardstock of at least 60lb. I get a clean, smooth cut everytime.

Why doesn't the Stampin' Up cardstock cut nicely in the Expression or Cricut??

What weight does Stampin' Up claim their cardstock is? All the Stampin' Up cardstock is useless to me if this is the case.

Anyone else have the same issues?

Patti

Patti, I am new to the cricut world, but I have been using SU card stock w/no problem. This is just a suggestion, maybe you can try putting it on the slowest speed to cut to see if that makes a difference.

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/maryroth/

My Gallery
Old 05-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #570
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Pinky for your suggestion. As I've said, I and many other people do have problems with cutting the Stampin' Up cardstock with the Expressiion and Cricut. It is not the blade, speed or pressure as long as the User is familiar with choosing the proper settings and experimenting a bit. I have many people in my classes that I teach on the Cricut and Expression that have the same problem. I can also see in this thread that I am not alone in my findings.

Best of luck and I'm glad for those that are not having problems with cutting the Stampin' Up cardstock with their machines.

I can recommend using the Bazzill, WorldWin and American Crafts cardstock in both the Cricut and Expression machines without needing the Max settings.

Patti
Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #571
Total Quack

Quote:

I can recommend using the Bazzill, WorldWin and American Crafts cardstock in both the Cricut and Expression machines without needing the Max settings.

Patti

I'm just curious, but what's wrong with using the max settings??

Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #572
Forum Fanatic

I'm wondering too. I use the max even when I don't need to sometimes (I forget to change it).

Also I want to point out that both machines are cricuts.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #573
Pearl-ExPert

Using the Max settings is putting extra work on the machine and also on your mat.

The Max setting for the pressure is making the blade go further into the sticky mat thus putting deeper cuts into the mat with will shorten the life of the mat and cause it to eventually cut through the mat if you are cutting thinner paper.

Using a higher Speed is causing the blade to jump around a bit more than using a lower speed. You can even see that as the machine is cutting on a very high speed.

Why would you want to make the machine work harder when a lower setting can do the job just as well?

Yes when cutting thicker cardstock or other material, then a higher setting is necessary and using the Deep Cut Blade can also help.

Patti

Patti
Old 05-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #574
Total Quack

Quote:
Why would you want to make the machine work harder when a lower setting can do the job just as well?

Yes when cutting thicker cardstock or other material, then a higher setting is necessary and using the Deep Cut Blade can also help.

Patti

Patti

I see.

I want to use the max settings so that I can use quality (i.e. SU) paper in it and lower settings don't work. I know that my SU paper is substantial enough to make almost anything I want to make. I've had my little Cricut for almost 3 years and my big one for almost 2. I still use the original mats because I take care of the mats and I rotate them with other ones.

I think that if PC made the Cricut to run on the max settings, then running it on max settings should be just fine for it. I've never had an issue with either of mine, and I almost always use the max settings.

I guess I'm just saying that you do what you WANT to do. I LIKE using my SU paper in my Cricut, so I use the settings needed for that. If I can't use the paper that I want to use, then the bugs are of no use to me. Based on my experience, both bugs do *wonderfully* when cutting SU paper with the proper settings. I'm very happy with mine.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #575
Mad Swapper

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:
I can cut Bazzill (which is textured) and Worldwin (65lb) cardstocks with settings of Blade 5, Pressure 4 High, Speed Med. (These are the settings I use for any cardstock of at least 60lb. I get a clean, smooth cut every time.
Patti, What do you mean by "Blade 5"? Lately my Expression has been giving me lousy cuts (brand new blade, so that's not it) and I'm wondering, have I been totally oblivious to a major setting adjustment?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #576
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaside Rose View Post
Patti, What do you mean by "Blade 5"? Lately my Expression has been giving me lousy cuts (brand new blade, so that's not it) and I'm wondering, have I been totally oblivious to a major setting adjustment?

Thanks!

I'm not Patti, but I will answer this ...

When you put the blade in the blade assembly, look at the top of the assembly. There is a dial and numbers on the dial. That indicates the depth that the blade will cut at.

I - personally - keep mine on 6.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #577
Kookie Creator

This is great info - I don't have a machine, my daughter does and the more I learn here the better I'll feel about using hers when I'm housesitting. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #578
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for responding for me Shell.

Patti
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #579
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to pokenhobs

I am so excited. I am getting a machine! Not the expressions, but the smaller one. It's a start... Anyway, does it matter which cartridges you use, or is there specific cartridges for each machine...? I know someone has probably asked that question, but there are so many threads here...

I have a gallery too...

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=21269

A cat goes where it pleases, and it pleases where it goes!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #580
Mad Swapper

Question I need your help for a grad hat???

I have a dilemma....I need a grad hat for making cards for a friend of mine and I cannot find a grad hat stamp so I thought about using my cricut or cuttlebug. I could only find an embossing grad hat to use for my cuttlebug. Nobody in town had a stamp anymore. They are sold out. I only have 6 cartridges for my cricut and was hoping that it had a hat on one of them but no luck. Has anyone tried to cut a hat from a cartridge that didn't show one in the basics pics?

Need help fast...I have to make 45 cards in a matter of minutes once I find what I need.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
lfinlay@scicable.com

Last edited by crazy4stamps; 05-25-2009 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: added more info.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #581
Total Quack

Can you use a half circle and a square to make the hats, LeAne??

Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #582
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4stamps View Post
I have a dilemma....I need a grad hat for making cards for a friend of mine and I cannot find a grad hat stamp so I thought about using my cricut or cuttlebug. I could only find an embossing grad hat to use for my cuttlebug. Nobody in town had a stamp anymore. They are sold out. I only have 6 cartridges for my cricut and was hoping that it had a hat on one of them but no luck. Has anyone tried to cut a hat from a cartridge that didn't show one in the basics pics?

Need help fast...I have to make 45 cards in a matter of minutes once I find what I need.
I don't know if you have a craft store near you but Quickutz has a really cool graduation cap! The stock number is KS-0159. I have made several cards with mine. I just run it through the CB.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #583
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokenhobs View Post
I am so excited. I am getting a machine! Not the expressions, but the smaller one. It's a start... Anyway, does it matter which cartridges you use, or is there specific cartridges for each machine...? I know someone has probably asked that question, but there are so many threads here...

ENJOY!! I LOVE my CRICUT (original smaller one) and as far as "I" know...cartridges can be used in either machine. I'm happy with my little "bug"....does ALL I need it to.. You'll have a blast....have fun!!
Keep us posted on how you like it, etc...cya!!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #584
Cardstock Collector

Default Cricut

I just got a cricut and this has helped me a lot.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #585
Cardstock Collector

My husband bought me a laptop so I can have it in my workspace with the cricut expression. I have already loaded the Design Studio before he bought it for me so now I need to load the Design Studio on my laptop, I have sent this question to cricut support but have not gotten an answer for over a week. Do any of you knw if I can do that?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #586
Forum Fanatic

Your best bet would be to call Cricut rather than emailing. They'll help you to remove the DS from your computer and put it on your laptop and give you a new activation number.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #587
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry if this has already been asked - does the Expression come with the USB cable or is a separate thing?

Thanks!

~Nikki
Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #588
Forum Fanatic

The Expression does not come with a USB cable. If you buy Design Studio, that comes with one (as long as you buy a boxed copy) but you can also use any printer cable. It's usb on one end and squarish on the other end.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #589
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much Gale!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #590
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry for more questions - I'm just trying to figure this all out before I decide whether to get the Expression or save up for the Pazzles - but I'm thinking Expression.

If I bought the deep housing blade, will that cut through Gina K 120lb cardstock? How thick of material can I go with the deep housing blade? Will it cut felt, foam, balsa wood, etc? Or just thick cardstock?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #591
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsk34 View Post
Ok, I have searched but I have not found an answer. Can you do a "continuous" title? (meaning I don't want the letter individual, more like cursive)

Jeanne S this is what I found on the internet"
There are three models of the Cricut machine, popular personal die cutters made by the Provo Craft company. With three good options, it can be difficult to decide which one to buy. Should you start small and buy the original Personal Electronic Cutter? Or is the Expression model worth the extra investment? How does the Create, the hybrid model currently being exclusively sold by Michael's Craft Store, stand up against the other two machines?

In a number of ways, all three die cut machines are the same:

All three models are cartridge-based.
You can only produce cutouts based upon the cartridges you own. Each cartridge comes with a keyboard overlay, which is used in selecting specific cuts. The cartridges are not machine-specific - they can be used in any of the three models.

Basic operation of all three machines is the same.
If you own the Personal Electronic Cutter, you will have no problem operating the Cricut Expression or Create (and vice-versa). Why? Well, the basic operation of all three die cutters is the same.

Here's a quick rundown of the process. After plugging in the selected cartridge and corresponding keyboard overlay and turning on the machine, you are ready to start making die cuts. Materials, such as paper or cardstock, are placed on a special cutting mat, which is then loaded into the machine with the press of a button. With another press of the button, the selected design is chosen. All that's left is to select "Cut". The machine does the rest of the work.

All three Cricut machine models use the same accessories.
It was already mentioned that the cartridges are not machine-specific, but this is also the case with most of the other accessories. It does not matter which model you own - the replacement blades, inks, different tools, such as the Cricut spatula, and Design Studio software, can be used with any model. The one exception is the cutting mats. The machines accept different sizes of the mats, and you must get one that is compatible with your specific machine.

Now that you know how the Cricut machines are similar, you are probably wondering how they are different. They vary in several ways:

The size of die cuts produced by each machine are different.
The Personal Electronic Cutter has the capability of making cutouts ranging from 1 inch to 5-1/2 inches in size, in half inch increments. The Create can produce die cuts ranging from 1/4 inch to 11-1/2 inches in size, in quarter inch increments. The Expression gives users the most versatility, producing cutouts from 1/4 inch to 23-1/2 inches in size, in quarter inch increments.

They weight and size of the machines vary.
The Personal Electronic Cutter and Create are both small, portable machines. These models are good for crafters who like to take their projects on the road, and create scrapbook layouts and other projects in group settings. They are also suited for those who do not have a specific area in their home set aside for crafting, because these die cutters are easy to pack up and put away in between uses. The Expression, on the other hand, is much heavier and larger. If you have a crafting room or corner, and do not have the concerns of moving it frequently, it's a good choice.

The three Cricut machine models have different modes and functions.
There are several different modes and functions. For example, the fit to page mode will automatically adjust the size of the die cut based upon the size of the material loaded in the machine. The center point function allows you to align the cutting blade over the center of the material, so that the cut is made around it. The Expression machine has the most versatility as far as the availability of modes and functions. Next in line is the Create, and third place goes to the Personal Electronic Cutter. More information can be found regarding these modes and functions in the machine handbooks, which are available in PDF format on Cricut.com.

The price is different for each model.
The Personal Electronic Cutter is the most inexpensive Cricut cutter, with a suggested retail price of $299.99. The Create is $100.00 more, at $399.99, and the Expression is $499.99. Please note that all three machines can be purchased at significant savings. Many retailers run special sales or have a lower everyday price than the suggested retail price. It's a good idea to shop around when buying your first Cricut machine.

This article was written by Dawn Hall. Find out more about Cricut, including additional information regarding the Cricut machine models, on her website and blog.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This helps so much! I was really wondering what the exact difference was. Since I won't be taking mine anywhere and I can find a place for it (um...I mean, I can stack other stuff up in a corner somewhere, right? LOL) I think I really will go with the Expression.

Can anyone tell me the advantage of buying the Pazzles over the Expression, or if there is one? I was all set for Pazzles, because I want to be able to design my own stuff. But then I found out about SCAL, and how to convert jpg to svg and so now I know I can design AND buy cartridges, but the Pazzle doesn't do cartridges. I'm just trying to figure out if there is an advantage or not, but I keep thinking I will get the Expression (once I finish save up, that is. It will be a few months.)
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #592
Crimping Master

Hi Ladies- well i am going to finally open my expression up- i know i've had it since thanksgiving- bad me- and i might as well just jump in the deep end. I have to do 8 baseball pants, 2 coach shirts, 3 lil' sis' shirts, and 11 visors for my DD tball team- tonight and tommorow as there game is at 6 pm tommorow!

My main question- i need to write their names down their pant leg, what is the easiest way to get the machine to do this? Example:

K
a
y
l
e
i
g
h

don't know if any one is up that can help before i figure out how to turn it on but if so thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #593
Crimping Master

I got it turned on!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #594
Pearl-ExPert

3girls1guy....You are going to cut all that in fabric and iron it on by 6PM tomorrow night? That's a big job for someone who has just opened the box. I would suggest getting to know the machine for a while before venturing out on such a job.

Also you need to be certain the machine will cut the fabric you want to use.

Patti
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #595
Crimping Master

AHHHH- no confidence in a fellow scrapbooker?!

I'm not cutting it in fabric- basically doing stencils and painting with fabric paint--- took awhile to figure out- still not sure if it's 100% correct but my first 5 look cute!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #596
Pearl-ExPert

3girls1guy....It's not a lack of confidence in your abilities, but some people do get in over their heads.

Since you didn't mention the method you were using with your Expression, I assumed you were cutting letters out of fabric. Actually didn't think of the stencil idea for that kind of job.

I'm not a scrapbooker but do have much experience in using/teaching the Expression. I'm just not patient enough to have not opened the box in over 6 months. I want to open and begin to learn things right away!

Good Luck with your project.

Patti
Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #597
Matboard Maniac

Default Help

I am a new Cricut owner. I am attempting to cut out some letters and the matt keeps moving and tearing the paper... Please help me!

I have a gallery too...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #598
Crimping Master

Default cricut

The mat is supposed to move as it cuts....do you have the plastic coating off so the paper sticks to the mat underneath? Check you blade pressure on the green blade housing. I use SU card stock and keep it set at 5...then check the speed and pressure dials (expression)...lastly some letters cant be cut real small, that may be the problem to. Let me know if this helps
Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #599
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsrlb View Post
The mat is supposed to move as it cuts....do you have the plastic coating off so the paper sticks to the mat underneath? Check you blade pressure on the green blade housing. I use SU card stock and keep it set at 5...then check the speed and pressure dials (expression)...lastly some letters cant be cut real small, that may be the problem to. Let me know if this helps
Thanks, it was the pressure. I had it set high and was using scrap paper with print on it, not card stock.

I have a gallery too...

Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #600
Die Cut Diva

The new DS update is on the Cricut site! There is also a font update for the computer. Can anyone explain this? Is this a set of compatible fonts that will work in word processing programs?