Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #561
Cardstock Collector

My husband bought me a laptop so I can have it in my workspace with the cricut expression. I have already loaded the Design Studio before he bought it for me so now I need to load the Design Studio on my laptop, I have sent this question to cricut support but have not gotten an answer for over a week. Do any of you knw if I can do that?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #562
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry if this has already been asked - does the Expression come with the USB cable or is a separate thing?

Thanks!

~Nikki
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #563
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much Gale!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #564
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry for more questions - I'm just trying to figure this all out before I decide whether to get the Expression or save up for the Pazzles - but I'm thinking Expression.

If I bought the deep housing blade, will that cut through Gina K 120lb cardstock? How thick of material can I go with the deep housing blade? Will it cut felt, foam, balsa wood, etc? Or just thick cardstock?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #565
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsk34 View Post
Ok, I have searched but I have not found an answer. Can you do a "continuous" title? (meaning I don't want the letter individual, more like cursive)

Jeanne S this is what I found on the internet"
There are three models of the Cricut machine, popular personal die cutters made by the Provo Craft company. With three good options, it can be difficult to decide which one to buy. Should you start small and buy the original Personal Electronic Cutter? Or is the Expression model worth the extra investment? How does the Create, the hybrid model currently being exclusively sold by Michael's Craft Store, stand up against the other two machines?

In a number of ways, all three die cut machines are the same:

All three models are cartridge-based.
You can only produce cutouts based upon the cartridges you own. Each cartridge comes with a keyboard overlay, which is used in selecting specific cuts. The cartridges are not machine-specific - they can be used in any of the three models.

Basic operation of all three machines is the same.
If you own the Personal Electronic Cutter, you will have no problem operating the Cricut Expression or Create (and vice-versa). Why? Well, the basic operation of all three die cutters is the same.

Here's a quick rundown of the process. After plugging in the selected cartridge and corresponding keyboard overlay and turning on the machine, you are ready to start making die cuts. Materials, such as paper or cardstock, are placed on a special cutting mat, which is then loaded into the machine with the press of a button. With another press of the button, the selected design is chosen. All that's left is to select "Cut". The machine does the rest of the work.

All three Cricut machine models use the same accessories.
It was already mentioned that the cartridges are not machine-specific, but this is also the case with most of the other accessories. It does not matter which model you own - the replacement blades, inks, different tools, such as the Cricut spatula, and Design Studio software, can be used with any model. The one exception is the cutting mats. The machines accept different sizes of the mats, and you must get one that is compatible with your specific machine.

Now that you know how the Cricut machines are similar, you are probably wondering how they are different. They vary in several ways:

The size of die cuts produced by each machine are different.
The Personal Electronic Cutter has the capability of making cutouts ranging from 1 inch to 5-1/2 inches in size, in half inch increments. The Create can produce die cuts ranging from 1/4 inch to 11-1/2 inches in size, in quarter inch increments. The Expression gives users the most versatility, producing cutouts from 1/4 inch to 23-1/2 inches in size, in quarter inch increments.

They weight and size of the machines vary.
The Personal Electronic Cutter and Create are both small, portable machines. These models are good for crafters who like to take their projects on the road, and create scrapbook layouts and other projects in group settings. They are also suited for those who do not have a specific area in their home set aside for crafting, because these die cutters are easy to pack up and put away in between uses. The Expression, on the other hand, is much heavier and larger. If you have a crafting room or corner, and do not have the concerns of moving it frequently, it's a good choice.

The three Cricut machine models have different modes and functions.
There are several different modes and functions. For example, the fit to page mode will automatically adjust the size of the die cut based upon the size of the material loaded in the machine. The center point function allows you to align the cutting blade over the center of the material, so that the cut is made around it. The Expression machine has the most versatility as far as the availability of modes and functions. Next in line is the Create, and third place goes to the Personal Electronic Cutter. More information can be found regarding these modes and functions in the machine handbooks, which are available in PDF format on Cricut.com.

The price is different for each model.
The Personal Electronic Cutter is the most inexpensive Cricut cutter, with a suggested retail price of $299.99. The Create is $100.00 more, at $399.99, and the Expression is $499.99. Please note that all three machines can be purchased at significant savings. Many retailers run special sales or have a lower everyday price than the suggested retail price. It's a good idea to shop around when buying your first Cricut machine.

This article was written by Dawn Hall. Find out more about Cricut, including additional information regarding the Cricut machine models, on her website and blog.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This helps so much! I was really wondering what the exact difference was. Since I won't be taking mine anywhere and I can find a place for it (um...I mean, I can stack other stuff up in a corner somewhere, right? LOL) I think I really will go with the Expression.

Can anyone tell me the advantage of buying the Pazzles over the Expression, or if there is one? I was all set for Pazzles, because I want to be able to design my own stuff. But then I found out about SCAL, and how to convert jpg to svg and so now I know I can design AND buy cartridges, but the Pazzle doesn't do cartridges. I'm just trying to figure out if there is an advantage or not, but I keep thinking I will get the Expression (once I finish save up, that is. It will be a few months.)
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #566
Crimping Master

Hi Ladies- well i am going to finally open my expression up- i know i've had it since thanksgiving- bad me- and i might as well just jump in the deep end. I have to do 8 baseball pants, 2 coach shirts, 3 lil' sis' shirts, and 11 visors for my DD tball team- tonight and tommorow as there game is at 6 pm tommorow!

My main question- i need to write their names down their pant leg, what is the easiest way to get the machine to do this? Example:

K
a
y
l
e
i
g
h

don't know if any one is up that can help before i figure out how to turn it on but if so thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #567
Crimping Master

I got it turned on!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #568
Pearl-ExPert

3girls1guy....You are going to cut all that in fabric and iron it on by 6PM tomorrow night? That's a big job for someone who has just opened the box. I would suggest getting to know the machine for a while before venturing out on such a job.

Also you need to be certain the machine will cut the fabric you want to use.

Patti
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #569
Crimping Master

AHHHH- no confidence in a fellow scrapbooker?!

I'm not cutting it in fabric- basically doing stencils and painting with fabric paint--- took awhile to figure out- still not sure if it's 100% correct but my first 5 look cute!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #570
Pearl-ExPert

3girls1guy....It's not a lack of confidence in your abilities, but some people do get in over their heads.

Since you didn't mention the method you were using with your Expression, I assumed you were cutting letters out of fabric. Actually didn't think of the stencil idea for that kind of job.

I'm not a scrapbooker but do have much experience in using/teaching the Expression. I'm just not patient enough to have not opened the box in over 6 months. I want to open and begin to learn things right away!

Good Luck with your project.

Patti
Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #571
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to pokenhobs
Default Help

I am a new Cricut owner. I am attempting to cut out some letters and the matt keeps moving and tearing the paper... Please help me!

I have a gallery too...

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=21269

A cat goes where it pleases, and it pleases where it goes!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #572
Insane Embellisher

Default cricut

The mat is supposed to move as it cuts....do you have the plastic coating off so the paper sticks to the mat underneath? Check you blade pressure on the green blade housing. I use SU card stock and keep it set at 5...then check the speed and pressure dials (expression)...lastly some letters cant be cut real small, that may be the problem to. Let me know if this helps
Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #573
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to pokenhobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsrlb View Post
The mat is supposed to move as it cuts....do you have the plastic coating off so the paper sticks to the mat underneath? Check you blade pressure on the green blade housing. I use SU card stock and keep it set at 5...then check the speed and pressure dials (expression)...lastly some letters cant be cut real small, that may be the problem to. Let me know if this helps
Thanks, it was the pressure. I had it set high and was using scrap paper with print on it, not card stock.

I have a gallery too...

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=21269

A cat goes where it pleases, and it pleases where it goes!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #574
Die Cut Diva

The new DS update is on the Cricut site! There is also a font update for the computer. Can anyone explain this? Is this a set of compatible fonts that will work in word processing programs?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #575
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, ladies, I am thinking of taking the Cricut plunge. I have lost significant use of my dominant hand, so stamping and cutting letters for titles, etc. is nearly impossible for me. That's the main reason I am interested in a Cricut, plus all of the fabulous things it will do that I don't even know about yet. But I don't know where to start, and I don't want to upgrade later. Should I just invest in the Expressions or is the Personal Cutter good enough? What do all of you experts think?
My Author's Site
Old 06-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #576
Insane Embellisher

Default cricut

It all depends on what you want it for. If you do large titles or want to cut them out of the page like a stencil or make large things like boxes, envelopes etc. then I would say go for the expression if you can afford it. It does come with 4 carts. and acmoore online had a special with a free $70 accessory pack (I think it was online)..otherwise the smaller regular cricut will work just fine. I would buy the scal too online from someone trustworthy so you can cut any true type font you have. Either way they are alot of fun, and to me worth the money
Old 06-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #577
Rubber Obsessor

I have the regular cricut. I couldn't afford the expression, and I am a scapbooker and a cardmaker. I find that the regular cricut suits me just fine. Really, when am I going to need to cut something 24" tall? I also have Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL), and I can manipulate that to cut letters 11" tall instead of just 5.5". SCAL is so great- you can cut all kinds of fonts plus almost anything you can think of--there are lots of great free patterns and patterns you can buy. Also, if you are really good and computer brainy (which I am not!), you can make your own files--therefore eliminating the need for almost all carts. I got mine online for $60 from candacraft.com.
For me, the regular cricut is good enough. I can do what I need with it and it cuts plenty big enough. If you are looking to get a cricut but can't afford the expression, rest assured that the regular cricut will be wonderful!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #578
Cardstock Collector

I bought the expression even though I mostly use it for cards because if I want to do some wall art or help out my grandchildren with school projects I can do them bigger or smaller depending on what it is. If you can't afford that I would go for the Create Cricut because you can still do the small letters. You will sooo enjoy the cricut experience. My problem is my mind is always whirling on what can I cut out now.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #579
Gabfest Goddess

On the cricut expression is there a way to change the paper size - for example I use 81/2 x 11 a lot? I looked in the manuel but I can't seem to find the answer. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #580
Insane Embellisher

yes..line up the paper in the bottom corner where it tells you to...insert paper. Use the arrows on the right to move the blade to the tope right corner..it is in and down a bit. when you push the select paper size button, it will appear on the screen what size it thinks you are asking for. as long as it is pretty close then push select paper size again, and that is the size for what you need. am I clear as mud??
Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #581
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsrlb View Post
yes..line up the paper in the bottom corner where it tells you to...insert paper. Use the arrows on the right to move the blade to the tope right corner..it is in and down a bit. when you push the select paper size button, it will appear on the screen what size it thinks you are asking for. as long as it is pretty close then push select paper size again, and that is the size for what you need. am I clear as mud??
top right corner - as it corner closest to you once it's loaded right? on the actual right of me or would it be the left of me?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #582
Insane Embellisher

when you are facing the machine and you load the mat, the paper should be in the bottom left section of the mat. Now as you are looking at it move the blade to the upper right corner of the paper
Old 06-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #583
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to nhagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffysk8s View Post
Okay, ladies, I am thinking of taking the Cricut plunge. I have lost significant use of my dominant hand, so stamping and cutting letters for titles, etc. is nearly impossible for me. That's the main reason I am interested in a Cricut, plus all of the fabulous things it will do that I don't even know about yet. But I don't know where to start, and I don't want to upgrade later. Should I just invest in the Expressions or is the Personal Cutter good enough? What do all of you experts think?
I have the original Cricut and the new Expression. I really like the additional features of the bigger Expression. The display is better and shows you a pix of what you are going to cut out. You don't know how many times I changes cartridges but not he overlay etc. or forgot to push shift etc. You can set the quantity if you need multiple images cut. Great for swaps!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #584
Gabfest Goddess

I love my expression too, and all its neat features.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #585
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Create or Expression

Hi!
I understand about your hand issues. I had to use my Sizzix for a big project and I forgot how hard all the pushing gets after a time. I'm so used to having the Cricut cut everything for me, you will appreciate the Cricut.

I started with the O-Bug and I love it and still have it.

I did upgrade to the Expression this past November and I have no regrets.

Reasons:
1. The sizes it can cut, 12x12 and 12x24. This gives me the ability to make better use of Tags, Bags, Boxes and More, and Wild Card. The Expression will make much larger boxes and such. There are some adorable matching envelopes and cards on Wild Cards, that come out well cut to fit on a 12" mat.

2. The directional arrows for moving the cutting blade, 4 more choices on the Expression than the O-Bug

3. The size dial, down to 1/4" and up to 24-1/4" and 1/4" intervals all the way up the dial. So nice for making shadows when the cartridge doesn't offer a shadow feature. I think this is a feature on the Create, but I'm not sure.

4. The Advance Keys and Buttons - Quantity, Auto Fill, Fit to Length, Fit to Page, Portrait, and Mix 'n Match.

5. More keys - Multi Cut, Center point, Flip, Line Return

6. Not having to cut 12x12 sheets of paper down to fit the smaller mat, which means more reloading if you are cutting lots of the same cut.

7. You can lay lots of small pieces of colored cardstock, cut the layers to an image by moving the blade around instead of unloading and reloading the mat.

8. Who needs a 12"x24" mat, who'd ever cut something so big. You'd be surprised. Borders for bulletin boards, wall decorations, to wrap around a box as a continuous piece, making banners. Cut a lot of an image, seriously, need 24 of something, a large piece of paper makes it quick work. Also, to make boxes, seriously, cut to fit on a 12x24 is bigger than on a 12x12. When Stand and Salute ever arrives, I plan on making large flags for holiday decorations. For school I use construction paper, for home use I use colored poster board from Wal Mart.

Negatives:
1. Space for the larger machine

2. Expense of purchasing a larger machine

3. Having to buy new mats, since the 6x12 mats don't work in the Expression. Unless someone else knows how to make them work.

I do have the space for the bigger machine and when I had to choose between the Create for $129 and the Expression for $199 the tipping point for me was the bigger cutting features. I know the Create has some of the extra buttons/features of the Expression, but I don't know them.

The bigger mats - I took advantage of a big sale at Custom Crops back in December and got 2 pkgs of 12x12 mats, and 1 pkg of 12x24 mats, with shipping for $35. At the time Michael's and JoAnn's did usually have the mats in stock. Just a few days ago I was at JoAnn's and picked up another package of 12x12 mats and they were on sale for $8. That was a deal.

I do a lot of cutting, but probably not a lot compared to most. I am currently rotating between using 3 - 12x12 mats and 1 - 12x 24 mat. The other 4 - 12x12 mats are still in sealed in their packages. I even cut felt out on a 12x12 mat. I did have to tape the felt down with blue painters tape, and there was a lot of felt fuzz left on the mats. So I used baby wipes and cleaned the mats up good as new.

This is really a personal choice, and a financial choice, so I wish you luck with your decision.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #586
Pearl-ExPert

Cynthia that was a very helpful post, thank you very much! I have saved it. I am saving for the Expression - I don't have a Cricut yet, and I think I'd rather wait awhile longer and save for the Expression - I know Photoshop very well, so I think I could use SCAL and not really need the carts (well, except for the bags and boxes one. LOL). Anyway, your post helped a lot.

I am wondering - where do you all get 12x24 paper?!?

Thanks so much!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #587
Gabfest Goddess

FYI to everyone wanting an expression - I got mine for $102 on E-bay from websbestdeals - they seem to sell them pretty often. The shipping was 2 day UPS for $16.99 which is dirt cheap considering major sites are charging around $25-35. Check out that E-bay store - it can save you some bucks! Mine also came w/ 2 cartridges - so really I got the machine for free or the cartridges whatever way you look at it.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #588
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlescrapper View Post
FYI to everyone wanting an expression - I got mine for $102 on E-bay from websbestdeals - they seem to sell them pretty often. The shipping was 2 day UPS for $16.99 which is dirt cheap considering major sites are charging around $25-35. Check out that E-bay store - it can save you some bucks! Mine also came w/ 2 cartridges - so really I got the machine for free or the cartridges whatever way you look at it.
Was that a used one or a new one? It's a great price!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #589
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
Was that a used one or a new one? It's a great price!
it was used - couldn't tell though! it came in the original box w/ everything & 2 cartridges. I was doing the happy dance! LOL
Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #590
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
it was used - couldn't tell though! it came in the original box w/ everything & 2 cartridges. I was doing the happy dance! LOL
I bet, that is quite a good price!!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #591
Gabfest Goddess

way to go! that is a great deal. Have fun playing!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #592
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

What a great deal -- you rock!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #593
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post

I am wondering - where do you all get 12x24 paper?!?

Thanks so much!
I've seen it at Hobby Lobby. It's a pad by Cricut. I think you could cut the individual Martha Stewart paper at Michaels to fit, too, though.

One other thing I like about my Expression is that it cuts big scalloped squares, circles, etc. There are lots of papers out there right now in this shape that just about fit the 12x12 page. With the expression, I can cut my own. The little bug can't cut these.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #594
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by natlhol View Post
I've seen it at Hobby Lobby. It's a pad by Cricut. I think you could cut the individual Martha Stewart paper at Michaels to fit, too, though.

One other thing I like about my Expression is that it cuts big scalloped squares, circles, etc. There are lots of papers out there right now in this shape that just about fit the 12x12 page. With the expression, I can cut my own. The little bug can't cut these.

You can also order if from Cricut or from Custom Crops.

Photography Site

Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #595
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by natlhol View Post

What a great idea!!!!! I didn't think of that! Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #596
Cardstock Collector

So, I am REALLY new to all of this. Would you suggest Cricut over the Sizzix or are they totally different tools?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #597
Gabfest Goddess

Love my Cricut and highly recommend it!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #598
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscheffer View Post
So, I am REALLY new to all of this. Would you suggest Cricut over the Sizzix or are they totally different tools?
I would definitely get the Cricut over the Sizzix. With the Cricut you can cut varying sizes of the same image but with the Sizzix you can only cut the size it comes as. I would also go for the Cricut Expression over the smaller one if I were getting one now. They did not have the Expression when I got mine. I have not had much need for the larger size but there have been a few times I wanted to cut something bigger than the smaller one will do.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #599
Gabfest Goddess

And I agree Michele!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #600
Inking Addict

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Cricut Expression and am on a learning curve. I have been printing a lot of techniques and making my own personal manual. I am really having a lot of fun.

I need to know if the Expression can cut felt material. I would love to make some felt flowers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Pat