Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #3681
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssister View Post
LOL!!!! Welcome to the club, lol!!! I'm still waiting on my CX order, and I already want to order more! (It's not happening, but I still want, lol!)
Me too! Like 6 new cartridges in a week and one preorder next week isn't enough for me! What is wrong with us?! (Don't answer that lol)

Pages completed for summer challenge: 32
Pages completed in 2009: 110 12x12 & 86 8x8
Pages completed in 2008: 242
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #3682
Stazon Splitcoast

I certainly agree with all of you about making the cards or scrapbooks for ONLY those who really appreciate them. I don't think some people really understand how much time and thought goes into making these "special" crafts. I usually make several cards at Christmas (I made 50 this year). Other holidays though I have cut way back. I only make a few (around 10) and give them only to those that are really close to me.

Funny thing is that sometimes you think about going back to the boxed card sets at Hallmark. However, when I get those thoughts I always get a couple of people telling me they can't wait for their handmade card from me. That makes it worth it!

As far as Cricut goes, I too am a new owner since Oct. I have purchased Alphalicious, Disney, Happily Ever After (I got the Disney ones since we are here in Florida & go to Disney every year). I also purchased Cursive and just got Christmas Cheer in the mail today! I have 3 more ordered from CX. I can't wait to get them. All this is like an addiction. Seems like once you get started you can't stop! Sometimes I feel like I have a disease for buying and wanting more of this stuff! I am forcing myself to stop for now.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #3683
Forum Fanatic

I went to walmart tonight and got a spatula and extra mats. I stared longingly at the Alphalicious cart for a while until my 10 yo told me it was time to move on. BRAT! lol. I'll have to wait and make do with the ones I've already ordered.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 11-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #3684
Rubber Obsessor

Gale that is so funny, I have a 10 year old also. Know what it is like.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #3685
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to all you sweet gals that welcomed me. I too have thought about going back to boxed cards as SMOKIESGAL has stated, but then you get the one 13 year old niece who says "What no home made card from You this year?", that makes it all worth while to me.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #3686
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssister View Post
That's great that you received your CX order! Until your ebug gets there, you have time to check out all of the books to your new carts, so you're ready to go when your bug gets there.
I love looking at the books and seeing all the different things it will do that I didn't realize before. Of course they are making me run to the door looking for my machine every time I hear a truck go by! LOL!! I have no idea what to do first!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #3687
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2heart View Post
Me too! Like 6 new cartridges in a week and one preorder next week isn't enough for me! What is wrong with us?! (Don't answer that lol)
I think this thread needs a disclaimer!!! I think I ordered almost all the ones I could from CX. I mean at that price!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #3688
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to stampmouse

is it true that some of the carts will be discontinued???? anyone know?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #3689
Kookie Creator

Smile

Well. I said I wouldn't do it but that Wal-Mart. Rats! Couldn't pass it up! I found out today my girlfriend couldn't pass it up either. Now tonight she forwards to me the Creative Express cartridge sale! Neither one of us has taken it out of the box. (Mine is still in hiding!) IF, we wanted to order some cartridges on the sale, what are the first set of must haves? We SO do not know what we are doing. With 93 pages of Cricut Chatter, I got lost and confused. Enable us, please.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #3690
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to Batavia-Soprano Send a message via Yahoo to Batavia-Soprano

Yes - enable me too - I have my ebug on a Fed Ex truck somewhere between Utah and Illinois, and there's a few carts from Creative Express coming too. I can't wait, but now I need to know what I just MUST have!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #3691
Rubber Obsessor

O.K. I seethat Mini Monograms has the scalloped circle and square!! Do any of you have this and use it for other things? Do you like the other fonts? or features?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #3692
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldwinterton View Post
I think this thread needs a disclaimer!!! I think I ordered almost all the ones I could from CX. I mean at that price!
Exactly! Can't find a price better than that!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #3693
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I love looking at the books and seeing all the different things it will do that I didn't realize before. Of course they are making me run to the door looking for my machine every time I hear a truck go by! LOL!! I have no idea what to do first!!!!
I know that feeling all too well!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #3694
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom48 View Post
Well. I said I wouldn't do it but that Wal-Mart. Rats! Couldn't pass it up! I found out today my girlfriend couldn't pass it up either. Now tonight she forwards to me the Creative Express cartridge sale! Neither one of us has taken it out of the box. (Mine is still in hiding!) IF, we wanted to order some cartridges on the sale, what are the first set of must haves? We SO do not know what we are doing. With 93 pages of Cricut Chatter, I got lost and confused. Enable us, please.
I know you are going to get a variety of answers on this one. One thing I would suggest doing is going to cricut.com to look at the cartridges. They have them listed there and then you click on the handbook link (it will be over to the right) to see what the cartridge will do. If you do this I suggest you look at the handbook as there are several cartridges that have "hidden" images in them. By that I mean, it will cut much more than what the back of the box shows you.

Zooballoo seems to be the favorite around here because you get an alphabet and animal images. It is a very versatile cartridge. Doodlecharms is another great one because it has images for every season.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #3695
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavia-Soprano View Post
Yes - enable me too - I have my ebug on a Fed Ex truck somewhere between Utah and Illinois, and there's a few carts from Creative Express coming too. I can't wait, but now I need to know what I just MUST have!
Welcome! I hope that your ebug doesn't take too long to find you. I love my ebug!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #3696
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampmouse View Post
is it true that some of the carts will be discontinued???? anyone know?
That is what we have heard, but that was months ago and they still seem to be around. The ones I remember are mini monograms, zooballoo, Christmas cheer and stamped.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #3697
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo2 View Post
O.K. I seethat Mini Monograms has the scalloped circle and square!! Do any of you have this and use it for other things? Do you like the other fonts? or features?
I do have it, but I don't like the font on it so I haven't used it as much as I should. Sorry that I can't help more.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #3698
Gallery Gazer

Hi girls! There have been quite a few posts since I was on last.

Welcome to all you new Cricut owners!! You are going to love it. I have many favorite carts. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Of course, you need Zooballoo, even if you don't have kids.

As for the discontinued carts. Provo came out and said that it was just a rumor that some were being discontinued and they had no plans to do such a thing. That was on the Cricut board over the summer.

My Gallery
Old 11-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #3699
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Robyn for clearing that up. That must have posted on the MB before I started going there. Molly and I were just talking about the fact that it was strange that they were supposedly retiring, but that months later they were all still around. That explains why.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM   #3700
Stampin' Fool

I am waiting on my Mini Monograms to get here. I did want the scallop circle and square, but I actually like the font also. They have a sort of whimsical/ransom look to them. I like all the font add ons also. It seems like you are getting more than one alphabet in one cart.
Be sure to check out the manuals. Animal Kingdom has some cute things. One of the functions gives you a cut of what the animal says. My kids love to make animal sounds, so this is great for us. Maybe it will help them with their reading in the future. The animals that don't make a sound (like the giraffe) have some sort of saying to cut out. We love to go to the zoo. Each time I take tons of the same pictures we got last time. Now I can make more pages with the different options on the cart.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #3701
Rubber Obsessor

Talk about bad timing! This morning I logged onto Custom Crops to order Doodlecharms for $38.99, I fill out all the info and I go to check out and I didn't feel comfortable giving my check card number online so I called the number and they said they weren't open till 9 am Central time, I'm on the east coast, so I go drop my DD off and go to a doctor's appointment and come home to call and order the cart. Don't you know since this morning it's back to $49.99!! So I call the number again to say I saw it this morning for the lower price and I am still getting the same recording as this morning. I guess I missed out.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #3702
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms1130 View Post
Talk about bad timing! This morning I logged onto Custom Crops to order Doodlecharms for $38.99, I fill out all the info and I go to check out and I didn't feel comfortable giving my check card number online so I called the number and they said they weren't open till 9 am Central time, I'm on the east coast, so I go drop my DD off and go to a doctor's appointment and come home to call and order the cart. Don't you know since this morning it's back to $49.99!! So I call the number again to say I saw it this morning for the lower price and I am still getting the same recording as this morning. I guess I missed out.
Do you have a Michael's near you? Cartridges are on sale for $44.99 this week. That's about the same price you would pay via Custom Crops once you figure in shipping. Or you could take the Michaels ad to Wal-Mart and they'd match the price. I would also try emailing Custom Crops to see if they'd give you the sale price.

Kimberly
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #3703
Inking Addict

OK Am i going to have to toss this mat? I've tried the scrapper and the spatula and it's like the paper has been permanently glued onto the mat? And for further thought is the pressure for the roller or is it for the blade? Thinking for next time if I don't have a lot of pressure maybe I'll be able to get the paper off the mat a little easier. It's a shame cause it cut great lines but as I've been peeling the paper from the mat my paper in the center is just completely being ripped. I'm mainly using the scraper to try to get the paper off just so I can reuse the mat but that doesn't seem to be it's purpose.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #3704
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpayne23il View Post
OK Am i going to have to toss this mat? I've tried the scrapper and the spatula and it's like the paper has been permanently glued onto the mat? And for further thought is the pressure for the roller or is it for the blade?
I think the pressure is for the blade, but I've been known to be wrong. Before you toss the mat, maybe try running water over the paper so it is easier to scrape off. Do you have one of those plastic scrapers for pots and pans? (Like the Pampered Chef scraper?) What kind of paper were you using? My new mat sure stuck something awful. In fact the paper I had been using was actually splitting when I was trying to remove it. I did finally get it all removed and was able to use everything, but I think I was just lucky. Now that I've used the mat a few times, it isn't quite as sticky.

Kimberly
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #3705
Gallery Gazer

Don't throw your mat away!!! Run it under warm water and scrape all the old paper that got stuck off. Then let it air dry. It should be sticky after that.

Good luck!

My Gallery
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #3706
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2heart View Post
That is what we have heard, but that was months ago and they still seem to be around. The ones I remember are mini monograms, zooballoo, Christmas cheer and stamped.
Animal kingdom, & one other
Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #3707
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have used it occassionally for Letters I like the stiched square look. I have used tehm for the first letter in a word to accent it. I am thinking of using it to make some stiched square blocks from old christmas cards to make ornaments or using pictures for gifts, but I use it all the time in card making for the scallops and it beats 22$ for a single punchwhen I can cut 1"-5" sizes, 10 different sizes on the baby bug, and lots more on the ebug, definately worth what they are selling it for just for the scallops.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #3708
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
OK Am i going to have to toss this mat? I've tried the scrapper and the spatula and it's like the paper has been permanently glued onto the mat? And for further thought is the pressure for the roller or is it for the blade? Thinking for next time if I don't have a lot of pressure maybe I'll be able to get the paper off the mat a little easier. It's a shame cause it cut great lines but as I've been peeling the paper from the mat my paper in the center is just completely being ripped. I'm mainly using the scraper to try to get the paper off just so I can reuse the mat but that doesn't seem to be it's purpose.
call PC about the mats also, i have heard they were trying to change the glue formula so the mats would last longer and some of the newer mats were too sticky. they are replacing them, but definately the warm water and I use a soft bristle toothbrush on my mats to help remove the lint I pick up especially the hair, too many girls here.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #3709
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynstamps View Post
Hi girls! There have been quite a few posts since I was on last.

Welcome to all you new Cricut owners!! You are going to love it. I have many favorite carts. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Of course, you need Zooballoo, even if you don't have kids.

As for the discontinued carts. Provo came out and said that it was just a rumor that some were being discontinued and they had no plans to do such a thing. That was on the Cricut board over the summer.
Rumor yes but if manufacturer dont order them because they are not selling then they will cut down onthe number available for sale. Kim for instance is discountinuing selling the old carts...And other stores are clearing them out also.. So even if they are not being discountinued theya re being phased out buy the retailers...HTH
Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #3710
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4stamps View Post
I have 2 sisters and 4 brothers, 2 BIL and 3 SILs and only 1 SIL likes that I make special cards or other items for her for presents for the families. My older sister told me one year that she could buy better quality and nicer gifts at halmark...so I told to go right ahead that she would never get another handmade gift from me again.
We no longer exchange gifts because of the huge families, but I still send out my holiday cards and most of my family still send cards, but only that 1 SIL will still ask me if I am going to make something pretty again this year for her.
Yikes! I dont' blame you for not making her anything anymore! Maybe she's just jealous. That's nice that you have a SIL that appreciates your stuff, she is definately worthy!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #3711
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to storybookmom

Quote:
Stalker here... Were you using card stock or patterned paper. I have the Baby Bug, Big One on the way, but I found that it is not a good idea to cut patterned paper on a brand new mat. I use the ones that have lost some stickiness for patterned paper and new ones for card stock. HTH.

Brand New Stampin Up! Demo
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #3712
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms1130 View Post
Hi Ladies,

I jumped on about a week ago awaiting my little bug. It has arrived and I love it but I find myself just looking at it. I'm waiting on my CX order to come with my 4 new carts but I don't know what I should work on, any suggestions? I do have the George cart and I have cut a few things out but now I'm stumped.

Thanks for any thoughts.
You could always use it to make cards with, cut out shapes and stamp images/words in them. Or scrapbooking, too.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #3713
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
I certainly agree with all of you about making the cards or scrapbooks for ONLY those who really appreciate them. I don't think some people really understand how much time and thought goes into making these "special" crafts. I usually make several cards at Christmas (I made 50 this year). Other holidays though I have cut way back. I only make a few (around 10) and give them only to those that are really close to me.

Funny thing is that sometimes you think about going back to the boxed card sets at Hallmark. However, when I get those thoughts I always get a couple of people telling me they can't wait for their handmade card from me. That makes it worth it!

As far as Cricut goes, I too am a new owner since Oct. I have purchased Alphalicious, Disney, Happily Ever After (I got the Disney ones since we are here in Florida & go to Disney every year). I also purchased Cursive and just got Christmas Cheer in the mail today! I have 3 more ordered from CX. I can't wait to get them. All this is like an addiction. Seems like once you get started you can't stop! Sometimes I feel like I have a disease for buying and wanting more of this stuff! I am forcing myself to stop for now.
Congrats and welcome! Sounds like you have some great carts! I'm waiting on my CX order still too, it's hard for impaitent people to wait, LOL!

I went through all of the Christmas cards that I've made over the years as samples for customers, etc, and those are the majority of the ones I'm sending out this year. I usually have to make 80-100 cards, and I think this year I'll only have to do about 30 in addition to those I've already made. Gives me time to work on other things.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #3714
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I went to walmart tonight and got a spatula and extra mats. I stared longingly at the Alphalicious cart for a while until my 10 yo told me it was time to move on. BRAT! lol. I'll have to wait and make do with the ones I've already ordered.
LOL!!! Same here, I need to get many other things besides carts, but it's fun to dream, isn't it?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #3715
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks to all you sweet gals that welcomed me. I too have thought about going back to boxed cards as SMOKIESGAL has stated, but then you get the one 13 year old niece who says "What no home made card from You this year?", that makes it all worth while to me.
What a sweetie!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #3716
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
All this is like an addiction. Seems like once you get started you can't stop! Sometimes I feel like I have a disease for buying and wanting more of this stuff! I am forcing myself to stop for now.
For me, it IS an addiction... LOL I did this with the Cuttlebug alphabets and the scalloped and plain punches. The good news is that when the haze cleared, there were others who bought them from me. Once I succumbed to the Cricut machine, at least I can justify buying a cartridge (on sale) when I realized the savings over buying all of the punches, etc., individually. Even the savings of a cartridge that cuts different sizes over the one-size alphabet of the Cuttlebug makes me feel better.

Kimberly
Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #3717
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I love looking at the books, too! Amy (hart2heart) laughs at me because I love reading about the designer, and all of that stuff. I've been doing the same thing every time I hear a truck!!! The garbage man faked me out today -- twice! (once on either side of the street, LOL)!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #3718
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
LOL!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #3719
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom48 View Post
Welcome! I took advantage of that sale, too! I love Base Camp, it's a great simple, versatile font, as is Learning Curve. Zooballoo has a font, but it also has animals for each letter that you can cut out seperatly! Love that one!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #3720
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavia-Soprano View Post
Welcome Vicki!