Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #4921
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Yahoo to Suzy_H

Also what is the first cartridge I should get? Need recs on your fave

I do not have kids and make cards mostly.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #4922
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_H View Post
Ladies can anyone help me with best paper settings? Or should I mess with the cutting blade depth settings itself? I think it is on one now...
for SU card Stock you need to set everything at the highest settings.pressure, blade, &speed.
Sometimes the bald that comes with the machine isnt always the sharpest blade...you might want to just get a new one to try it out.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #4923
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to stampmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostvig View Post
for SU card Stock you need to set everything at the highest settings.pressure, blade, &speed.
Sometimes the bald that comes with the machine isnt always the sharpest blade...you might want to just get a new one to try it out.
thanks for the tip
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #4924
Polyshrink Goddess

I had to re-arrange some things in my room, too--but found a place for my e-bug that's easy to use it there. Now I just need a 25' USB cable so I can run the cable behind furniture to get it from the computer to the bug! Now I need to quit reading on here and get to playing with my bug!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #4925
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Za View Post
I had to re-arrange some things in my room, too--but found a place for my e-bug that's easy to use it there. Now I just need a 25' USB cable so I can run the cable behind furniture to get it from the computer to the bug! Now I need to quit reading on here and get to playing with my bug!
Awesome! The cord that came with the software worked just great for me. I can still have my bug on my desk and my computer on the other desk. Perfect!!

My Gallery
Old 12-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #4926
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapgirl72 View Post
Just a little Merry Christmas from "Paper Dolls"!
Wow, Melissa! That is just adorable!! I haven't had time to play with my new Cricut. I got the older version for Christmas from my DH, and I have to work, workk, work. . . .uggh, wish these doctors would take a break so I can have some time off too. Don't they know I want to play with my new toys too?! LOL
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #4927
Total Quack

Quote:
Yeah I got mine too...and paperdolls

Woohoo!!!!!

Photography Site

Old 12-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #4928
Hardware Hotshot

I got a cricut for Christmas from my DH, who also got me a Scor-Pal! I'm so glad that I found this thread because now that I have it, I'm clueless! What are some must-have carts? I need to know.....
Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #4929
Stazon Splitcoast

anyone know if you buy 4 carts at the same time if you can get 2 of the free carts??
Old 12-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #4930
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Also what is the first cartridge I should get? Need recs on your fave

I do not have kids and make cards mostly.
You will get many opinions on that question. When I first started buying carts I bought ones that really fit what I liked to do, like gardening so "Walk in my Garden" was good for me. Plus with all the flowers and creatures they worked well on cards. I also bought "Doodlecharms" because it has a great variety of seasonal characters (great for cards) so you get more bang for the buck. I didn't think I needed a lot of different fonts, but have bought quite a few anyway. It is nice to have a variety when doing different projects.

Now I have several carts. I also got the software which is great because I can see what is in all of the carts by clicking on them in the computer instead of digging them out of the boxes to look for certain characters.

I say take your time and look at the cart books on the cricut.com website to see what you like.

If you hang around this site long enough you will have more carts than you thought you ever needed. We like to enable each other
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #4931
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp2stamp2 View Post
I need to get the designer software downloaded so I can play with that. It sounds so very cool.

And I'm having lots of fun working with the Cricut Expressions. I know there is a lot more there to learn about too!

Happy Stamping and Scrapping

rita
The software is cool. It takes some playing time because I don't think the instruction book is that great.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #4932
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynstamps View Post
Okay girls, less than 100 posts to go til we need to start a new thread. You know the rules.... the person who makes post 5000 gets to name and start the new thread. I hope it's me this time. I missed it by a few posts last time as so did a couple others!!
What happens to this thread? Does it just disappear
Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #4933
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftingpink View Post
What happens to this thread? Does it just disappear
No it stays around for referencing, not sure how long, they just dont let them get over 5000 becasue it takes longer to load who ever names it will post a link to the new thread here on this thread to make it easier to find

HTH
Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #4934
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftingpink View Post
You will get many opinions on that question. When I first started buying carts I bought ones that really fit what I liked to do, like gardening so "Walk in my Garden" was good for me. Plus with all the flowers and creatures they worked well on cards. I also bought "Doodlecharms" because it has a great variety of seasonal characters (great for cards) so you get more bang for the buck. I didn't think I needed a lot of different fonts, but have bought quite a few anyway. It is nice to have a variety when doing different projects.

Now I have several carts. I also got the software which is great because I can see what is in all of the carts by clicking on them in the computer instead of digging them out of the boxes to look for certain characters.

I say take your time and look at the cart books on the cricut.com website to see what you like.

If you hang around this site long enough you will have more carts than you thought you ever needed. We like to enable each other

SYI is a goodf one too it has differnet season things like Doodle charms , but a litle different style. I have SYI & DC I like them both.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #4935
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
LOL..I would need a fifty foot one MY Computer is upstair sand my Bug down,

I am seriously thinking of moving my Computer cabinet thing downstairs, But there isnt room downstairs for it right now...also I cant keep moving it and having the DSL cable moved so It should be fun.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #4936
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
Woohoo!!!!!
Thanks
I am more excited about your Ebug...How great is that you are going to have to tell me all about it...Maybe next fall I'll be prepared to get it for my B-day if I save....Or there are more great sales...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #4937
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys View Post
So, as many of you may remember, I asked DH for a Cricut for x-mas...and also purchased approximately 10 carts last month because of the sale at creative express (and I was pretty certain he would come through for me!)!! Well, yippee for DH! He got me a Cricut baby bug...and an Expressions!

I know, he is so funny. He actually read this thread and so many people had talked about having both, he thought the small one I could bring to crops and leave the ebug at home! What a silly guy. He gets an A+++++ for effort! He also ordered the software for me, but I do not have it yet. Can't wait to play with that!!

Yes, I will be sending the baby bug back. I think I will be fine with the eBug! And I think I will use my credit for some additional carts!!

BTW, DH was thrilled with his X-box!

Thanks to everyone for the enabling over the past month and I look forward to being inspired by your beautiful work!
Wow - what a great dh!!! He sure did his homework!!! Have fun playing with your new toy!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #4938
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampmouse View Post
anyone know if you buy 4 carts at the same time if you can get 2 of the free carts??
Good QUestion but I think the rebate says one free rebate/costumer/household
Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #4939
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1 View Post
My DH came through too. He bought me the baby bug last month for our anniversary. Then for Christmas I got 3 cartridges! I had seen on here last Wednesday about the software. I sent him a link to it at work on Thursday. He ordered it, they shipped it on Friday and I got it in the mail on Monday, Christmas Eve!!! Haven't had a chance to play with it all yet, But I will!! He just spoils me rotten!!!
Have fun playing with your new toys!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #4940
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonandlou View Post
first off thank you to danssister for explaining how to respond to something. I wanted to say what an awesome job from scrapgirl72 on the nativity scene. I just got the cricut ( the small one). and I love it. Even for those school projects we get stuck "helping" with or as the teachers call them parent projects ( don't you hate it when you don't get an A on a grade 5 project) Any ways i'm new to this whole blogging , thread, internet computer thing. But since I fou SCS I have to surf every day.. I have fome favorites and Robynstamps is one tof them. So thank you for your contribution.
You're welcome! There's so few things about computers that I understand, lol, I was glad that I was able to help.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #4941
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbas Person View Post
santa brought me a cricut for christmas (ok i peeked and knew i was getting it)!! i have to say, i'm quite in love with it... made some awesome ornaments yesterday. i love the versatility of sizes, etc... can't wait to get more cartridges & make more stuff!!
Welcome Terri! Enjoy your new toy!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #4942
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeys View Post
So, as many of you may remember, I asked DH for a Cricut for x-mas...and also purchased approximately 10 carts last month because of the sale at creative express (and I was pretty certain he would come through for me!)!! Well, yippee for DH! He got me a Cricut baby bug...and an Expressions!

I know, he is so funny. He actually read this thread and so many people had talked about having both, he thought the small one I could bring to crops and leave the ebug at home! What a silly guy. He gets an A+++++ for effort! He also ordered the software for me, but I do not have it yet. Can't wait to play with that!!

Yes, I will be sending the baby bug back. I think I will be fine with the eBug! And I think I will use my credit for some additional carts!!

BTW, DH was thrilled with his X-box!

Thanks to everyone for the enabling over the past month and I look forward to being inspired by your beautiful work!
A+++ that is great....
Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #4943
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishymom View Post
Santa brought me a new Cricut too! I am having so much fun learning about all the cool things this machine can do. I especially like being able to cut larger sizes for scrapbooking, bulletin boards and school projects. I also got the new software and it is really fun to work with. Hope everyone enjoys their new toys!
Enjoy your new toys! Sounds like you have a bunch of fun new stuff to play with!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #4944
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks for all the input ladies - I am using my Cricut like a fiend and I love it!

I have a question though - it is tearing my paper. It is thin paper but kind of has a sheen and is strong (it is Scarlet Lime paper and unusual consistency). What setting would you suggest? I had it at 2 for speed and 4 for depth - it tore a bit so I went to 2 and 5 and it seems to have torn more. Should I go lighter??
I don't know how many responses you already received, but try putting the speed at 1, and lowering the pressure to 2 or 3. You might also want to put the blade at 3 or 4, if it isn't already. HTH
Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #4945
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapgirl72 View Post
Would you believe those are only 2 3/4" figures? It took me about a day and half to cut everything and put it together. DH wanted to know what it was for, I told him I was just doing it because I wanted to. (I've been working on lots of projects for others lately) Now I have to figure out how to keep it from getting ruined before next Christmas.
How about taking it to be laminated?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #4946
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlz319 View Post
I got a Cricut yesterday too. Oh, now where, oh where do I start?
Congrats! Get it out of the box and start playing!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #4947
Stazon Splitcoast

I need to go, we have another family Christmas to go to today at 4, for dh's side of the family. It's over an hour away - one way. I'd much rather be home chirping, lol!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #4948
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssister View Post
I need to go, we have another family Christmas to go to today at 4, for dh's side of the family. It's over an hour away - one way. I'd much rather be home chirping, lol!

It will be fine. I won't be able to chirp this weekend because of a family wedding, like this past weekend wasn't crazy enough!
I just hope we don't have a snow storm because I'd be hard pressed to take the 3 hour drive both ways.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #4949
Kookie Creator

Quote:
My ds is home from college and complaining that I turned his bedroom into a craft/computer room. But, this is way it has to be if I want to use the bug software. Guess he will just have to get over it like I have to get over tripping over his clothes all over the floor lol
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #4950
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Good QUestion but I think the rebate says one free rebate/costumer/household
Actually the rebate says "....more than one rebate may be submitted with purchase of additional qualifying products." I called and they said I could put them in one envelope, but you had to have a separate copy of receipt, rebate form and $14.95 check for each... I'm going to put them in the same envelope, hoping that they won't send me the same 2 cartrdiges!

Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #4951
Embossing Fanatic

I don't know which is more addicting the stamping or card making or surfing all the blogs to see what everyone is doing. I admit I'm just starting to actually respond on these threads and it is a lot of fun. I think it is because i can talk or just sit in the bush and listen, also because i can do it in my pj's or track pants. I also don't have to do my hair and can I talk with my mouth full ha ha.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #4952
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunf1ower View Post
Actually the rebate says "....more than one rebate may be submitted with purchase of additional qualifying products." I called and they said I could put them in one envelope, but you had to have a separate copy of receipt, rebate form and $14.95 check for each... I'm going to put them in the same envelope, hoping that they won't send me the same 2 cartrdiges!

Good Luck!
cool thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #4953
Gabfest Goddess

My MIL bought me 2 new cart. for Christmas. Maybe I can get the receipt from her to get the free one.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #4954
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunf1ower View Post

Good Luck!
If I were you I'd use separate envelopes *just in case*. It's only an extra 41 cents.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #4955
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
If I were you I'd use separate envelopes *just in case*. It's only an extra 41 cents.
ok thats what I am doing just in case. thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #4956
Gabfest Goddess

I got markers today @ HL. They were marked $29.99 and I knew that just couldn't be right. I had them do a price check when I went to check out & they were $9.99...that's a good deal right??
Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #4957
Total Quack

Quote:
Thanks
I am more excited about your Ebug...How great is that you are going to have to tell me all about it...Maybe next fall I'll be prepared to get it for my B-day if I save....Or there are more great sales...
I think that I was as excited about it being the bundle as I was about getting the Expression. LOL!! My mom (who ordered it and gave it to me) saw the carts and said "All that didn't come with it, did it?!" LOL! Yep! Sure did! I ended up with 4 carts and 7 markers from that and another cart from dh and kids.

I can't wait to create with the ebug. I will post what I make when I get a spot set up for it in the Haven (totally rearranging that now .... ).

I will make sure I enable ..... I mean, tell you all about it when I get it up and going!!! LOL!!!!

Photography Site

Old 12-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #4958
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
What to order? Wow, that's a fun question to answer. I'm a card maker and do other craft stuff. I don't do much scrapbooking though.

I am a former SU Demo, so that means I have tons of stamping stuff, lots and lots of images (You'll find me in the "who has the most stamps" threads, I don't have the most but I'm in the upper percentiles, LOL!!!). And over 20 different types of Alphabets in various styles and sizes. Then I retired from selling, just played and then got addicted to the Original Sizzix.

What I like about the Original Sizzix is the ability to cut multiple images, consistent cuts (as opposed to cutting with scissors). And the various stuff it can cut like fabric, shrink plastic, etc. What I didn't like was the size limitation. So the items I purchsed for my Sizzix were "things" and I stayed away from getting into the Alphabets, I ended up with 2 alphabets, Shadow Box and Fruit Smoothing. While they are great alphabets I didn't like the size limitations, especially when large letters came into style.

When DH bought me the Cricut for Christmas (thanks to great sales during Thanksgiving) I knew I had finally found the tool to link stamping and die cutting together. I've gone from no bug stuff to a machine and 8 cartridges and I'm good until the next sale, LOL!!!

What I focused on buying were the 2 free cartridges that came with the machine. George and Basic Shapes and Keystone. George gives me a capitalized alphabet in a whimsical style and the Basic Shapes cover so much variety. Keystone is more like a solid capitalized alphabet, perfect for those large letters.

I picked up Beyond Basics because for my use it gives me a variety of word groupings and images. I used it to make a really nice baby congratulations card. This let me use the words larger than I had in stamps.

Cursive 101 and Alphalicious have a great collection of shapes besides upper and lower alphabets. Cursive 101 gives me school stuff I can use with my own kids or the kids I work with (I'm a special ed para) and a script style alphabet. Alphalicious has some great words and shapes.

I love Disney, it's my favorite and I found the stickers too expensive for 1 time use, and the stamps too small to be used for much more than an accent on the card. So on Christmas Day I unwrapped 2 - Mickey and Friends, DH and my parents both found one for me and Happily Ever After, my personal favorite. I took one of the Mickey's back and exchanged it for Dreams Come True, DD's personal favorite.

So that's my logic for purchasing the cartridges I did. I am going to send off for the cartridges being offered. Since I only have 1 of the ones being offered I'll be okay with what I get, unless it's Cursive 101. But I can't pass up a deal like this, LOL!!!

I'll offer the same advice I offered when I used to sell stamps. Buy what you like and will use, not what someone things you should have or use. Because you aren't likely to love it and use it. And above all - ENJOY!!!!!

p.s. I went to one Michael's to return the cartridge and the lady didn't want to give me cash (it was a cash purchase and I have the receipt), she said it was too much work and didn't I just want to exchange. Uh, no, you don't have the cartridge I want. So I drove to the next town over (I know waste of gas), looked for Dreams come true at that Michael's and it wasn't in stock either. But they very nicely gave me the cash. Then I went next door to Wal Mart and bought the Dreams come true cartridge there.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #4959
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I called and asked and she actually recommended sending them in the same envelope, just stapling them separately with their own copy of the receipt, rebate form and check. She said that was the only way to guarentee that you don't get the same cartridge!

Joella
Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #4960
Stazon Splitcoast

I also sent for two free cartridges. It said there was not a limit. But I mailed in seperate envelopes so they would not get confused at the center where they process the orders...