Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #4441
Insane Embellisher

I've been playing with the trail version too. I made a cool bookplate using the cylinder, 2 circles and a rectangle from the george cart. I was Making some bigger things and it wouldn't let me cut, it said I needed to update the firmware which I did the first time I hooked it up and cut out my bookplate just fine. Do you need to update it each time you use it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #4442
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynstamps View Post
I finally successfully downloaded the trial version of the DSS. I have been trying for two days now!! I got it up and running on my laptop in The Pink Loft and it is soooo cool!! I don't know if I can wait to buy this. Who has it in stock? I will be able to do so many neat things with this. The welding feature alone is worth it! I'm so super excited!!!
I know kim said the 17th on her site but I got a shipping confirmation on Friday..It left SLC already so I should get it next week. on Tue or Wed.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #4443
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaymay View Post
I've been playing with the trail version too. I made a cool bookplate using the cylinder, 2 circles and a rectangle from the george cart. I was Making some bigger things and it wouldn't let me cut, it said I needed to update the firmware which I did the first time I hooked it up and cut out my bookplate just fine. Do you need to update it each time you use it?
No but if you end the hook up wrong it will tell you it needs to. Just save your work and close and reopen the software. It just needs to
refresh itself after the first cut I did this and havent had a problem since
Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #4444
Gabfest Goddess

How much is Kim charging for shipping??? I might be ordering it as an early birthday present. I really am enjoying the welding option. I don't quite get all of it yet. Are we going to be able to do more with the full version??

My Gallery
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #4445
Total Quack

Quote:
How much is Kim charging for shipping??? I might be ordering it as an early birthday present. I really am enjoying the welding option. I don't quite get all of it yet. Are we going to be able to do more with the full version??

I just used the rest of my birthday money to get the instant download and key code. I think that the full version is just the same - but you can cut with all carts that you have. At least, that's the way I understand it.

Photography Site

Old 12-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #4446
Gabfest Goddess

I don't get how to shadow it. The only options I have are to weld and turn 90 degrees.

My Gallery
Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #4447
Gabfest Goddess

It cuts kind of slow, too. Have you all noticed that??

My Gallery
Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #4448
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I don't get how to shadow it. The only options I have are to weld and turn 90 degrees.
Robyn you skew it stretch it with the arrows around an item to shadow you use the shift key or options key pads like you would onthe overlay to create a shadow and just retype what you did before. you can overlay the images to see if the shadow is large enought before you cut it
Old 12-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #4449
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I finally got it done. Last night I closed all my windows and tried again and it worked, but said it would be 2 hours (I think I posted that already??) and so I tried again today. I got the error message so I cancelled out the installation and tried again and it worked. I left it downloading the update while we went and got our tree. We got home, played with the dog for a while, came in, cleaned up, got the mail, got a bite to eat, and it was STILL finishing the installation! I opened it up but I am so dumb when it comes to programs like this so I quit. I tried again and quit again. I'll try again when I read up on it a little more.

We did make a paper doll today too and also a couple of christmas tags. The paper doll blackout didn't perfectly match the regular paperdoll shape. You could see the blackout a tiny bit behind the hands and feet. DD didn't care (it was a blueout-she wanted blue eyes on her paper doll).
Sounds like you had a fun family day today! I'm not very good at all with computers, that's why I havn't downloaded the trial version. I don't have a computer in my craft room, I'm thinking that would bother me too. (I sure have a lot of excuses, don't I?? lol)
Old 12-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #4450
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I combined it with paper dolls but it shipped together as one priority package. Does that help
Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #4451
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
This si the full version but with only access to cut the carts that came with your machine...If you click on help it opens a web site with more details on all the features it is very helpful since we dont have the handbook yet
Old 12-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #4452
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgirl5 View Post
Tell your husband and family thanks for serving our country! Is he going anywhere near the war or can you say?
Thank you! He is going overseas but I don't really like to say where over the internet. I have heard stories of information getting out from wives who have my space pages. Very scary! A man in prison over there told a gaurd that he heard his wife had a bad morning. She had written it in my space.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #4453
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostvig View Post
Laurie I missed this post last night, but Wow I hope everything goesokay for you DH you have a great support system on SCS if you need any thing just PM me I'll do what i can do...I hope you have a good support system there also.
Thank you. I do have some really close friends here even though we have only lived here for about 6 months. And I have some family about 4 hours away. This isn't my first deployment but we lived in Florida for three years prior to being here and dh didn't deploy while we were there.

He will be gone for about 3 1/2 months.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #4454
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
This si the full version but with only access to cut the carts that came with your machine...If you click on help it opens a web site with more details on all the features it is very helpful since we dont have the handbook yet
when I clicked on help it opened a window with an error message (address bar was file:///C:/Program) along with 3 other tabs. The other tabs are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_file
http://www.download.com/
and
http://www.design-studio.com/

I guess that last one is the one I need to look at so I'm waiting for it to open. Just kinda weird that it opened up all those windows like that.

ok that last one was no help at all. I don't think I'm going to buy this if I'm having this much trouble with the trial...

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥

Last edited by gale; 12-08-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #4455
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I finally got it done. Last night I closed all my windows and tried again and it worked, but said it would be 2 hours (I think I posted that already??) and so I tried again today. I got the error message so I cancelled out the installation and tried again and it worked. I left it downloading the update while we went and got our tree. We got home, played with the dog for a while, came in, cleaned up, got the mail, got a bite to eat, and it was STILL finishing the installation!
LOL!! That is so funny!!! Congrats on getting it downloaded!! I haven't cut anything but it is so addictive. We were out running errands today and I took my laptop to play with it. I am going to love being able to design pages of cuts on the go then cut them later. Plus, I read somewhere that with the ebug you could cut different sizes at the same time, but I haven't figured out how but with the software it is easy. Plus you can type out your fonts. Okay, I think I getting too excited!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #4456
Forum Fanatic

I found the help page by going into the program files. The help is really no help-it just explains the buttons. I'll read up at the cricut board I guess. Now I kinda do want to buy it. DARN YOU, CRICUT!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #4457
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldwinterton View Post
Thank you! He is going overseas but I don't really like to say where over the internet. I have heard stories of information getting out from wives who have my space pages. Very scary! A man in prison over there told a gaurd that he heard his wife had a bad morning. She had written it in my space.
I can understand. I am a military wife too. We will keep him and all of the military in our prayers to stay out of harms way.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #4458
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgirl5 View Post
I can understand. I am a military wife too. We will keep him and all of the military in our prayers to stay out of harms way.
I am a military wife as well! Good luck on the deployment, ldwinterton. We are here if you need us!

My DH deployed 3 months after we moved here...for 6 months...and "left" me here in a region where they get 125 inches of snow a year! I thought for sure there would be a huge bilzzard the week he left (Murphy's law!), but it was a mild winter! Nice surprise!

Hey, does the Cricut make a camo pattern?!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #4459
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I found the help page by going into the program files. The help is really no help-it just explains the buttons. I'll read up at the cricut board I guess. Now I kinda do want to buy it. DARN YOU, CRICUT!
I'm going to forewarn you that getting on the cricut MB has been a real challenge itself. Every time I tried yesterday it took forever to load a page. Then about 9:00 last night every time I tried to get on I got a white screen that said the server was too busy. I haven't been successful in getting on there this morning either. I know you have had enough frustration with computers this weekend already!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #4460
Insane Embellisher

thanks, I'll try it!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #4461
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I don't blame you for not wanting to give out info. Sorry that I put you on the spot and asked you how long he'd be gone - I should know better, I've had family deployed over there, my cousin and my brother.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #4462
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
LOL!! That is so funny!!! Congrats on getting it downloaded!! I haven't cut anything but it is so addictive. We were out running errands today and I took my laptop to play with it. I am going to love being able to design pages of cuts on the go then cut them later. Plus, I read somewhere that with the ebug you could cut different sizes at the same time, but I haven't figured out how but with the software it is easy. Plus you can type out your fonts. Okay, I think I getting too excited!
you can do differnt sizes at the same time on the reg bug also.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #4463
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
when I clicked on help it opened a window with an error message (address bar was file:///C:/Program) along with 3 other tabs. The other tabs are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_file
http://www.download.com/
and
http://www.design-studio.com/

I guess that last one is the one I need to look at so I'm waiting for it to open. Just kinda weird that it opened up all those windows like that.

ok that last one was no help at all. I don't think I'm going to buy this if I'm having this much trouble with the trial...
I'm sorry you're having trouble with the software. That's exactly why I havn't downloaded it myself, I don't want to waste my limited time with the trial version and spend the entire time lost. (because that's what I'd be with a computer program - lost! LOL)
Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #4464
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
LOL....
Old 12-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #4465
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbmusic View Post
I am just running the trial program right now. I used my printer USB cable to attach my laptop to my Cricut. In the Mini Monograms cartridge there is a scallop circle. There is a scallop oval on one of the other cartridges, but when you cut it out on the Cricut it makes a small hole in the top of the shape.
With the new Design Studio software you can stretch the characters. You can make them wider or taller than the standard input. So you can stretch the scallop circle to make it taller to look like an oval without the hole in the top.
I really like the stretching capability since the standard square is not always what you want either. Now you can make it a rectangle.
I wasn't able to cut out the oval, as I only have the trial version right now. You can only cut out with the cartridge that came with your Cricut.
I hope that answered your question.
Thanks for the info now I have to go buy a cable

*)
. .**) .**)
(*. (*.' Sharon*)
. .**) .**)
(*. (*.'

Old 12-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #4466
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims700 View Post
Thanks for the info now I have to go buy a cable
I just used my computer usb cord. It was very easy. I'm still surprised that it worked for me!! I need to look through the Loft tomorrow and see if I can sell anything to afford it. I looked at my account for the next week online yesterday and I just have enough for my families groceries. I need to be more frugal. I get paid on Friday, thank goodness!!

Our church got cancelled today because of freezing rain so I am stuck at home. I am going to work on my family history today, aka scrapbooking! I think school is going to be cancelled for the kids tomorrow & my DH is cancelling all his patients, too. Another fun day for us! I'm glad that I stocked up on food last night.

My Gallery
Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #4467
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
you can do differnt sizes at the same time on the reg bug also.
I think she meant that using the ebug without the software you can do that with the multi function option. You could hit the button for a snowman at 4 and then a snowflake at 2 and then push cut. I haven't figured out how to use mine yet either. It doesn't ever work for me. I need to pull out the manual, but haven't.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #4468
Stazon Splitcoast

My sis just called me & said she is getting married in April. Her hubby saw my stamped Christmas cards & asked me to make their wedding invitations. Ladies, I need some ideas!!! I have a bug but don't have the Wedding cart...is this something I need or does anyone have suggestions? I just got my bug and because of College Exams haven't had anytime to play yet. (I am taking a break from studying now). Anyway, being so new to the Cricut thing I was wondering if using the bug would be faster when making many cards....up for ideas! Please help! (why do I get myself committed to all these things?) Thank goodness I have vacation time I will be taking after Thursday of this week till Christmas. Got lots to work on..

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #4469
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
My sis just called me & said she is getting married in April. Her hubby saw my stamped Christmas cards & asked me to make their wedding invitations. Ladies, I need some ideas!!! I have a bug but don't have the Wedding cart...is this something I need or does anyone have suggestions? I just got my bug and because of College Exams haven't had anytime to play yet. (I am taking a break from studying now). Anyway, being so new to the Cricut thing I was wondering if using the bug would be faster when making many cards....up for ideas! Please help! (why do I get myself committed to all these things?) Thank goodness I have vacation time I will be taking after Thursday of this week till Christmas. Got lots to work on..
I, personally, would use stamps to make a nice wedding card. Mabye the swirls embossing folder from the cuttlebug would look nice as a background. I made a really nice wedding card for a friend, hope this helps.
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...701&perpage=96

My Gallery
Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #4470
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I, personally, would use stamps to make a nice wedding card. Mabye the swirls embossing folder from the cuttlebug would look nice as a background. I made a really nice wedding card for a friend, hope this helps.
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...701&perpage=96

I love that one Robynstamps! Beautiful! You have such great ideas!

Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #4471
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiesgal View Post
How nice that they like your work enough to ask you! My brother and SIL got married last Oct, and I made their invites and matching thank-you's, 100 of each. I stamped them all, since I didn't have a cricut yet. They picked out the colors and stamps, and I made 5 different cards for them to choose from. This is the one they picked:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...610&perpage=96

This spring I made them a 12x12 wedding scrapbook, and found that there really isn't anything that covers weddings very well cricut-wise, at least, not by then anyway. By the time I did the scrapbook, I had the cricut, and used it in their album. A lot of the pages are uploaded into my gallery. HTH
Old 12-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #4472
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssister View Post
How nice that they like your work enough to ask you! My brother and SIL got married last Oct, and I made their invites and matching thank-you's, 100 of each. I stamped them all, since I didn't have a cricut yet. They picked out the colors and stamps, and I made 5 different cards for them to choose from. This is the one they picked:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...610&perpage=96

This spring I made them a 12x12 wedding scrapbook, and found that there really isn't anything that covers weddings very well cricut-wise, at least, not by then anyway. By the time I did the scrapbook, I had the cricut, and used it in their album. A lot of the pages are uploaded into my gallery. HTH
Thanks Molly,
I checked out your gallery. All of your cards were super nice. I really like #5.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #4473
Forum Fanatic

My doodlecharms and zooballoo shipped from cherished scraps and cards. Those will be the last carts I've ordered. How depressing. lol. I thought about asking dh for alphalicious for christmas but he'd want to pick it up at walmart and I don't think I can stomach him paying that much for it (I think $60 there). He doesn't know how to use the internet for surfing, much less shopping.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #4474
Inking Addict

Default design studio? software?

can anyone tell me when the new software, i think it is called cricut design studio, will come out and how much the msrp will be?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #4475
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
My doodlecharms and zooballoo shipped from cherished scraps and cards. Those will be the last carts I've ordered. How depressing. lol. I thought about asking dh for alphalicious for christmas but he'd want to pick it up at walmart and I don't think I can stomach him paying that much for it (I think $60 there). He doesn't know how to use the internet for surfing, much less shopping.
I got notice that my doodlecharms shipped from them as well!! I can't wait to get it. Like you that is my last cart for a little while I'm still getting used to the baby bug and I seem to be printing off things for my almost 3 year old to walk around with. I really need to find something to work on.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #4476
Rubber Obsessor

I have been trying to use the software all weekend. We got ours in our store on Thursday and I have actually been getting very frustrated. The first time you cut you do have to update your cricut, and for some reason it really was not that easy. I think that I had to do it three times before I could actually cut. Then, I'm having a heck of a time welding words together. You have to slide the letters close together, and have the welding feature on and it's really hard to move from letter to letter to "nudge" them close enough to eachother to weld them. Anybody else having a problem changing between letters without it closing the box out? Then once it closes the box out, I have a heck of a time trying to get it to open the text box up again.... very frustrating. Once I finally get everything close enough together, it's hard to know if it really is close enough. It won't actually tell you if the letters are close enough together, it will cut them, but some won't be welded because they aren't close enough....so you have to start all over. I do have to say that once I finally got the letters welded and cut it is awesome, but it is not a quick process!

I have done quite a few cuts though and am having fun when I'm not overly frustrated!

I believe I read in the manual that any usb cord will work, the one with the software is just cuter! I also agree that the help menu with the software is no help at all! I came here looking for help.
We ordered our software for the store from Marla at memory miser...on ebay or at memorymiser.com She was really nice, not sure what she charges resale, or how much she charges for shipping though.

Anybody found any good tips and tricks yet?
Thanks hart2heart for directing me here!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #4477
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by svonderharr View Post
I have been trying to use the software all weekend. We got ours in our store on Thursday and I have actually been getting very frustrated. The first time you cut you do have to update your cricut, and for some reason it really was not that easy. I think that I had to do it three times before I could actually cut. Then, I'm having a heck of a time welding words together. You have to slide the letters close together, and have the welding feature on and it's really hard to move from letter to letter to "nudge" them close enough to eachother to weld them. Anybody else having a problem changing between letters without it closing the box out? Then once it closes the box out, I have a heck of a time trying to get it to open the text box up again.... very frustrating. Once I finally get everything close enough together, it's hard to know if it really is close enough. It won't actually tell you if the letters are close enough together, it will cut them, but some won't be welded because they aren't close enough....so you have to start all over. I do have to say that once I finally got the letters welded and cut it is awesome, but it is not a quick process!

I have done quite a few cuts though and am having fun when I'm not overly frustrated!

I believe I read in the manual that any usb cord will work, the one with the software is just cuter! I also agree that the help menu with the software is no help at all! I came here looking for help.
We ordered our software for the store from Marla at memory miser...on ebay or at memorymiser.com She was really nice, not sure what she charges resale, or how much she charges for shipping though.

You're welcome! I'm glad you found us. I am sure someone will be able to help you. I still haven't had a chance to download the trial.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #4478
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svonderharr View Post
I have been trying to use the software all weekend. .... Then, I'm having a heck of a time welding words together. You have to slide the letters close together, and have the welding feature on and it's really hard to move from letter to letter to "nudge" them close enough to eachother to weld them. Anybody else having a problem changing between letters without it closing the box out? .....I have done quite a few cuts though and am having fun when I'm not overly frustrated!

The easiest way to weld is to have the weld clicked in the right box when youtype the letter in then when you have the word spelled hit apply and it automatically welds them you do not have to nudge them. HTH

As far as the box, you have tomake sure that the Blue lineup line is not over your image when you click on it it is frustrating and I have been looking for away to make sure it opens everytime I click but have not discovered the secret yet. I thought originally clicking on the left corner did it but it isnt working every time. I was hoping my manual would have that in it when it comes
Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #4479
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I just used my computer usb cord. It was very easy. I'm still surprised that it worked for me!! I need to look through the Loft tomorrow and see if I can sell anything to afford it. I looked at my account for the next week online yesterday and I just have enough for my families groceries. I need to be more frugal. I get paid on Friday, thank goodness!!

Our church got cancelled today because of freezing rain so I am stuck at home. I am going to work on my family history today, aka scrapbooking! I think school is going to be cancelled for the kids tomorrow & my DH is cancelling all his patients, too. Another fun day for us! I'm glad that I stocked up on food last night.
Robyn I hope you had a fun day great being inspired to pick up stuff so you dont have to go out in the weather.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #4480
Mad Swapper

I am having a problem clicking to select the box I want to work in also. I have noticed that it works more often if I double click at the right end of the line of characters (I already entered) I want to use. There is a very faint line around the box of characters. Dbl click just inside that line.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website