Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cricut is best?

It's been a looooong time....
I have the cute little original cricut that only cuts 12x6's, got it several years ago when it was brand spanking new and top of the line. My how things have changed. I'm (finally) ready to update my scrap-nology (oh my, that made me LOL!!) and I need your help.
I want to cut paper for my cards and scrapbook layouts, i want to cut felt for busy books, i want to cut fabric for quilts. I have a Gypsy loaded to the hills with cartridges, so whatever machine I get needs to be compatible with my Gypsy so I have access to all my cartridges.
Which machine should I get? Looking for ease of use and multi-funcitonality.
Thanks in advance!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

I LOVE my new EXPLORE! it's new technology since a techy-engineer - expert took over the company. It cuts, embosses and draws. You can load your cartridges, upload other SVGs, print 'n cut, has DIY's in Design Space already set to go, only need to adjust to your material --- and was easy for me to learn to use! and a whole bunch of abilities that I haven't yet explored. I had a Pazzles cutting machine and not so easy for me -- this one, I was cutting with quickly! it will soon work with your IPad if you have one.

Check out the Cricut site for details and see if it meets your needs....Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Explore is not compatible with the Gypsy. :( You have to be online to cut. All your carts from the Gypsy can be linked to Explore's Design software. It does cut felt, fabric, and other heavy materials. I don't have one but I have seen the test results done with these materials. That's important to me since I cut those materials too.

I have a Silhouette Cameo & the Aqua Expression (on her last legs). If I get another Cricut I will be looking into the E2. I have my Gypsy loaded to the hills with carts too. You made me smile writing that. I say loaded to the hills a lot. I want my next Cricut to be compatible with the Gypsy.

My favorite Cricut was the little 12x6 Bug. She was the best Cricut ever made.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I recommend getting the Explore.

I too have all my cartridges on my Gypsy. I did the Gypsy uplink and linked all my cartridges to my Cricut Account.

Now, all my cartridges are in Cricut Craft Room (which works with all the Cricut Machines except the Explore) and with Design Space which works with the Explore

I have an Explore and love it. The Explore sits on my table right along with my Expression.

The Gypsy will never work with the Explore, a technology thing.

Very soon this month, the iPad app for the Explore will be out of beta testing, it's free, and will put Design Space in a mobile state. As I understand it, phase one will only work when connected to a wifi. Phase 2 will work without wifi.

I'm excited that I will have the mobility of the Gypsy for my Explore

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had them all except the Explore. I do not want to be connected to a computer to craft. I would go back to my Expression if I had to do it all over again. Are you wanting a Cricut to take to crops? Then a Create (small one) would be your answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2View Post
Very soon this month, the iPad app for the Explore will be out of beta testing, it's free, and will put Design Space in a mobile state. As I understand it, phase one will only work when connected to a wifi. Phase 2 will work without wifi.
I saw the iPad app in beta after I posted on this thread. I really love it. It does look nice. That is what I desperately need in my art studio. I do not want a computer in my art studio. I had one in there and yanked it out. Just too much of a hassle for me. Love my iPad in my room though.

If I ever bought an Explore I am waiting for all the features I want to be finalized and in perfect working order. I have noticed ProvoCraft has gotten a lot better about that.

I have been a Cricut girl since the Cricut came out. I am a little leery of ProvoCraft when waiting for features. You know their track record, lol. I am saying this all cheeky sassy funny way but I am still waiting for the Extra buttons on the Expression, & my carts to be unlinked from the Gypsy. ;) My rule with PC don't buy until it's finally done.

I said I would not buy an Explore because I don't want to be online to cut. I still feel that way. Oh, I love the idea of an iPad app. That would be a lifesaver for me in my art room. I want a wifi cutter too.

I wish PC would make a smaller Cricut again. I was thinking about the Create when southgirl mentioned it. I love smaller die cut machines.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Just an FYI - the EXPLORE has a blue tooth antenna available so that you don't have to be tethered to a PC to have it work -- not yet available for Android yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 01:44 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
Just an FYI - the EXPLORE has a blue tooth antenna available so that you don't have to be tethered to a PC to have it work -- not yet available for Android yet.
My error - nothing to do with Android....(what was I thinking? ;) )

Here's a link to some info: Bluetooth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, for me the choice was very easy.
I don't want to be online to use my cricut as a requirement to use my cartridges.
I have no desire to 're-invent the wheel. Meaning, I don't design my own images. I will use whatever Easter bunny, flower, mustache, birthday cake, ghost, frame or heart that is on one of my cartridges.
The cricut Expression is my go-to machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

sewnmachine- I think you got it right about the Cricut. Least, my personal feelings. I keep going around and around in circles because of the iPad app. My big thing is my iPad will probably be outdated next iPad update. I seriously doubt I will buy another iPad. I will probably be a Droid girl on my next tablet. The last thing I want to do is buy a machine I can only be online with, possibly offline maybe who knows until we see it from ProvoCraft and then can't use it because I have outdated software on my tablet that I probably won't want to upgrade.

I love the idea of an iPad app with a cutter. I love the idea of bluetooth. Cutting online is a huge no for me. Having to upgrade my iPad to another iPad just to make a cutter work for me is another huge no. That limits my options for what I need in the new upgraded tablets.

Next cutter for me in the Cricut line will be the E2 or the Cricut Create.

I am glad this topic was started. DH & I are updating all our tech items in our home. My cutters are next on the list. I was waiting for CHA to be over before I made a final decision. Great timely thread.

Reply With Quote Likes