Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cricut - any regrets?

Okay, I am definitely sold on a Cricut. I am leaning toward an Expression, because I am just like that. I would worry that I would buy an original, but not be happy later on and feel like I should have bought an expression.

The more I think about it though, is a 24" cut reasonable? How often are you using that feature? As a regular 12x12 scrapbooker, would I use the bigger machine enough to justify the double price of an Expression?

Is there anyone out there who bought either of the cricut machines and regretted not getting another model later?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple cartridges that really need the Expression (IMO).

Wild Cards and Tags, Bags, Boxes, and More cut the items from one sheet of paper. That piece is then folded, sometimes 3 or more times, to make the item. They end up very tiny if started on a 12x12 sheet of paper.

The envelopes for WC and just about all the bags & boxes on TBBM really, really need to be cut on an Expression.

I frequent the Cricut board and there are many ladies who say they wish they had bought the E. Now they have they Baby Bug or the Create and don't feel they can justify buying a second machine, so they're stuck. Or they end up buying the E and having a second machine. Some don't mind ,of course, but I've never read of anyone regretting buying the E vs one of the smaller machines.

There will undoubtedly be great Black Friday deals on Cricuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I bought the Baby Bug first (6x12) within 6 months I was so over it since I had discovered SCAL ( I have a Mac and can't use DS) I had to have the E and I'm not at all sorry since now I can make boxes, banners and BIG ornaments.

I have heard that some people are being very successful with cutting down the 12x24" mats and using the 6x24 result in the Baby Bug.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
The way you posed your question is interesting, and I think it's what's causing confusion, I've heard others ask the same question.

The mats feed into the Cricut similar to how paper feeds into a printer.

Here's how the machine sizes work.

The Create and the O-Bug have an input width of 6", so they are designed to work with the 6"x12" mat.

The Expression has an input with of 12" wide, only. When you buy the expression you get one 12"x12" mat. You are then free to purchase more mats. I never have trouble purchasing or finding 12"x12" mats. I have purchased the 12"x24" mat and would never consider cutting it smaller, because the 12"x12" mats can easily be purchased for less than $10 (you get two mats in a package). You can use a Joann's coupon on the mats.

The Expression has a button that allows you to pick the mat size. I rarely use the 12x24 mat, although I have from time to time.

The biggest issue honestly with the 12x24 inch mat is the space that has to be allowed for front and back for feeding in and out of the machine. I have to set my Expression out on the kitchen table when using the 12x24 mat. I can use the Expression and a 12x12 mat on the shelf I have it now.

I upgraded from the O-bug for two reasons.

1. Size, being able to cut 12x12 verses 6x12 gave me much larger cuts, and no more cutting paper down to 6x12 to fit the mat. The 12x12 size allows me to make multiple cuts easier too and I get a larger size image. I do a lot of bulletin boards and boxes.

2. The Expression has features that the O-bug doesn't. Fit to page, fit to length, flip, quantity, etc... I think these features are on the Create, just not the O-Bug.

I do agree that Wild Card, Tags, Bags, Boxes and More and the houses on Winter Woodland work amazingly well on the Expression and the 12x24 mat.

Good Luck with your decisions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have the expressions and in 20 months have never ever regretted it. I would have regretted buying the smaller one within minutes and if I'm honest never had any interest in my friends O bug.

The only time I've ever thought of getting the 12*24 mat was to make oblong tissue boxes then thought better of it as I couldnt justify the cost just for 1 project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

this maybe a stupid question but how do you get paper for the 12x24 mat? Do you just use the 2 12x12's or what? I'm thinking of getting the create cause i just cant come up with a reason for needing 12x12 or 12x24. It seems as though I would waste alot of paper with the expression
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought the Create and within a couple of weeks decided I 'needed' the Expression. I have the WC and Bag, Tags, etc. I agree with the OP - to fully use these cartridges, you need the 'E'.

The 12x24 mat seems to be useful when cutting layers. I have seen video tutorials where the person is using Design Studio/Gypsy and places different pieces of paper all over the mat. With one press of the cut button, the Cricut will cut all the various pieces of an image.

I have only had my Create a couple of months but have the Expression on my Christmas list.

You never know - I make mostly cards so thought the Create would be okay because it has many of the extras features of the Expression. Because of the smaller format, it cannot make very large boxes or cards/envelopes.

Good luck on your purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

The Expression has endless possibilities when using SCAL. I have it, a QK, and most recently a Sizzix. The Cricut E was about $228 with 2 cartridges on eBay. It's my most powerful and versatile cutter and definately the most cost-effective overall. I have such a HUGE library of SVG files (over 2000) and am looking forward to getting the latest version of SCAL to convert all my shape jpgs. I've never used the 24" but one idea might be to cut vinyl letters/shapes to slap on your wall -- have you seen them pre-cut in the craft stores? Even so, a 12x12 would probably do fine for the job also. I suggest making a spreadsheet and compare features you feel are important to you. Include replacement costs of blades, mats, cartriges, dies, etc.
Good Luck--it is mind boggling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I have had my O-bug for almost 3 years. Got it when they started throwing it on sale as tey got ready to introduce the Expression. I went in spells of using it but since I got the DS I use it all the time. And I have decided that I have gotten enough use out of it that I can get an Expression inthe next couple of months. I hope to get a good black friday deal.

I "frame" a lot of my scrapbook pages so this will become much easier. Plus I love the 12x12 diecut pages and witht he DS I can do them myself, not to mention some that I have downloaded from others. The O-bug was a great to start with but I had ony been scrapbooking a few months, If I had been more experienced I would have waited for the Expression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
2 weeks ago I used a 40% coupon at JoAnn's on a 12x24" mat (2 per package) and it cost $15.00 or so. These are back up mats, because my original 12x24's are getting a bit worn after a year. I just like to have extra mats, in case, LOL!!!

I haven't purchased any of the 12x24 paper, but Michael's does sell it. Can't use a coupon on the paper because it's a Cricut product.

I buy 22"x28" poster board at Wal Mart, trim it down to fit the mat and use it for boxes.

Honestly, boxes are pretty much all I use the 12x24 mats for.

However, I've done two large projects for church (which is why my mats are worn a bit). I cut a some suitcases from PPDU and welded words together for titles, using big sheets of construction paper. Construction paper makes a mess of the mats, little bit of stuff everywhere, but I cleaned the mats and they are still nice and sticky. A friend need a BIG train for her poster, so I taped two 12x12 pieces of black paper, and cut a train enginge fit to page. Worked great, the train was a background piece so the overlap wasn't visible. She was thrilled.

I want to make some houses from Winter Woodland so I'll be getting out the 12x24 mats and working on that project next week.

I was gifted with a Gypsy 3 weeks ago and it's sure made cutting fun. It's like a portable DS system, where you can design, and cut. Limitations are you can only cut with carts linked to your Gypsy. Unlike SCAL, which lets you use fonts and svg files.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
this maybe a stupid question but how do you get paper for the 12x24 mat? Do you just use the 2 12x12's or what? I'm thinking of getting the create cause i just cant come up with a reason for needing 12x12 or 12x24. It seems as though I would waste alot of paper with the expression
You don't have to fill the mat, just put card big enough for what you want to cut on it. There's been times where I've used 2" pieces and others when I've sort of patchworked the mat with different colours and cut loads of different things at the same time. Using scal, cds or the gypsy can really minimise the waste as you can cut small shapes in the gaps. Doing that really comes into it's own when you're using standard card as you're not cutting a 2" strip off.

One of the reasons for the expressions would be making shaped/aperature cards and boxes.

I would have to buy a2 or a3 card and trim down for the 12*24 mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the Original & in 3 months got the Expression!! Better I only make cards, but you can only make tiny envelopes on the O. I do occasionally make a box, but you can't make a very big one on the O. Go for the Expression!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I got the Baby bug first..it was only a matter of weeks before I wished I had gotten the E. I do still have both machines..My E is always out and I use it alot.
I WAS going to try to sell my baby but I am now taking classes and planning to join a Cricut club. I have the CUTE rolling tote and the Baby is so much lighter for on the go "Cricuting" But if I could only have one I would go with the E. Got mine last year
Black Friday for $199.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am one of the girls over at the Cricut board.

I bought the Cricut when it first came out. Then the Expressions came out and I was not going to get it. I ended up getting it so I can make bigger projects.

The biggest size I have ever made? Mainly 12x12 for envelopes. I have never once used the 24" feature.

If you are thinking of vinyl then yes, get the Expressions.

I have noticed that most of the time I cut under 6x6 so I use my Baby Cricut because she fits nice in my journaling box that is under my desk.

My Expressions is in the craft room for bigger projects.

I don't regret getting the Expressions. I always tell everybody to upgrade.

My setup right now I have a Gazelle hooked up to my computer. I use my Baby Cricut for journaling. I am glad that I have the Expressions and I would buy her again.

There are some other catridges that work better on the Expressions. All the licensed cartriges: Disney and Sanrio.

The Expressions is set up to cut smaller pieces at 1/4 inch. The Create also can do this. Even on the back of the cartridge boxes it does state the license carts will have better results with the Expressions.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had a Cricut and 36 cartridges as well as ALL the goodies and several extra mats blades, etc. I found after several months I was not using it because I had to drag it out and set it up. So last May I sold the whole lot. I have not missed it or regretted selling it. I am now looking at a slice or the new machine that is not out yet that doesnt require mats. Each person has to choose what is right for them. That being said...both my sisters have the Expression and use them a lot. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Even if you never intend to use the 12 x 24 mat with the Expression, you can do more with the Expression's 12 x 12 size than you can with the 6 x 12 original Cricut. For example, a shaped background or frame for a 12 x 12 scrapbook page can be done on the Expression but not the baby bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I'm another that bought the baby cricut and wound up buying the expression right afterward. I love it! I can't imagine trying to do projects with the smaller one now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I totally regret buying my Cricut 2 years ago -I never use it. It was a waste of money. I can never get it to work right, and get frustrated with it. However, I did buy a cuttlebug and love it. I use the CB embossing folders lots, and interchange the Sizzix dies. I find it so much easier to use and am happy putting more money toward that investment. I will be selling by original Cricut (which has been used about 15 times) and its 8 cartridges in the new year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a question about the wild card cartridge, when making envelopes, has anyone had trouble where you score, (there is a tiny slash for the score lines) . After you score and fold it there are little pieces that stick out. I really wish they had left the slash off. It makes the envelopes look cheap. Also i can't get mine to cut thin paper. I have tried every setting there is and it still eats my paper up.

smallcity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the expression and dont regret it at all. comes in handy so much. Dont' use it all the time, but when I do I use it alot.
especially for the tags, bags, and boxes cartridge, love it, that I can make big favors ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Expression also, and LOVE it!! I was skeptical at first too, but, am SO glad I got it!! I haven't had any problems, except when I habe tried to cut something TOO small and the paper is TOO thin. Otherwise. it is FABULOUS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Another one here that bought the baby bug about 3 years ago and I use it occasionally. I have about 6 carts for it and SCAL. I just don't really like electronic cutters. I prefer my dies and embossing folders in the Cuttlebug. It's nice every now and then to cut out any TTF or shape though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I guess it depends a lot on space and motivation, I haven't used my expression in nearly a year, it is a pain to have to pull it out and set it up, and a lot quicker to use my old sizzix. I am thinking of selling it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I have both the Cricut and Expression. I keep them out side by side on a table in my studio. I use them both every day.

The trick to using them is to keep them out and excessable, plugged in and ready to use. Putting them in a cabinet or shelf away from your work area is a waste, you won't use them very often. Same is true with the BIGkick, BigShot or Cuttlebug. If you don't keep them out and set up, you won't use them to their full potential.

I tell my students to find a dedicated space in their room where they can have the Expression or Cricut ready to turn on and use. Then you will want to use it. It's a shame to store in hidden away in a closet or on a shelf.

I don't regret having both machines.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had my Expression for about a month and I LOVE it! Purchased through E-bay for a good price although it took many tries to get one for the price we wanted to pay. I also bought the Sure Cuts a Lot software from the Craftedge website.

I'm using the Cricut for far more than I ever expected. Here is a card on my blog that is CASED from the Stampin' Up! catalog. http://lisae-design.blogspot.com/200...-tri-fold.html
I'd played with this design using my CM circles cutters a couple months ago. Love those circle cutters but they don't cut every size and I was having trouble getting everything to work out. With the Cricut, I got the sizes I needed, plus it cut out the quantities I needed very quickly.

In cases like this, even though I didn't need something larger than a 6x12 mat, I took full advantage of the 12x12 mat to do quantity cutting. I've used it for scrapbooking and plan to do much larger cuts for backgrounds and things.

So far I just love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

One other thing. I purchased the 12x24 mats from Walmart.com for just less than a dollar more than a pack of 12x12 mats would be. I'm using them for boxes. Use the Site to Store option with Walmart to save shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes