Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By BathBelle
  • 2 Post By Hoboken Paper
  • 2 Post By YLM
  • 1 Post By snowmanqueen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Default Creases on back of die cuts

Does anyone know why I might be getting creases and wrinkles on the back of my die cuts right along the outer edges? I am using a Big Shotz and Nestabilities to cut out round tags. I want to put a design on the front and the "To and From" sentiment on the back but the back isn't professional looking. It happens on other die cuts too. My cutting mats are a little warped and there are many cut marks in them. I am using the thick Neenah Solar White #110 cardstock.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Matboard Maniac

If your cutting acrylic mats are scratched or marked up this will transfer to your paper. Try to keep at least one mat clean and clear of marks.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

I now try to keep one plate for the 'right' side of my dies so it has no marks on it so no marks on the front. But I still get marks from the cutting plate on the back, not sure how you can avoid it. As I always stick them down it doesn't matter. If it is just round shapes you are using could you just stick one on the back of the other, backsides together? Wouldn't work for every shape but rounds should be ok.
RiverIsis, gobarb26 and Denverkat276 like this post.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Embossing Fanatic

Both of my cutting plates are well loved on both sides and have lots of die cut marks. I refuse to use new plates until these crack and break. So here is what I do to avoid creases:

Take lightweight scrap paper, like copy paper (I've even used Stampin Up packing slips) and line the plates with two layers top and bottom. The creases will be on your scrap paper and not your die cuts. Then, just toss the cut scraps away. Just be sure to avoid inky papers like printed newspapers, which will transfer ink onto your die cuts.

If you are using Bigz or closed dies, you only need to line one side.
monsyd2 and gobarb26 like this post.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

Not sure this is your problem, but when I try to cut 2 of the same die cut at the same time, I get a wrinkled effect on the backsides of each one, the heavier the paper the worse it seems. I only do this with "simple" (not intricate) dies. Slippage? Marked mats as other say? Too much pressure on the paper? I just know this happens so I'm careful now with cutting more than 1 when I have heavier paper.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

I have some very well loved acrylic mats and when I need to use the front and back of a die cut I will put a piece of copy paper between the die/cardstock and the mat. That usually works as a cushion to keep the creases off the back of the die cut.

Clear as mud??

HTH
Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

To avoid the cut marks I place wax paper
That way my paper is un marked all the scratches are on it
QFTD127
debbiemom23cs and Patimac1980 like this post.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken Paper View Post
Both of my cutting plates are well loved on both sides and have lots of die cut marks. I refuse to use new plates until these crack and break. So here is what I do to avoid creases:

Take lightweight scrap paper, like copy paper (I've even used Stampin Up packing slips) and line the plates with two layers top and bottom. The creases will be on your scrap paper and not your die cuts. Then, just toss the cut scraps away. Just be sure to avoid inky papers like printed newspapers, which will transfer ink onto your die cuts.

If you are using Bigz or closed dies, you only need to line one side.
This is exactly what I do!
It became too costly to repeatedly replacing the plates.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Crimping Master

The text-weight paper works great. The little lines are from the cuts that naturally occur on your plates when you die cut. Replacing the plates will only solve the problem until you use the new plates a few times and then they will be cut as well and you will have the same problem. I've had my Bug for at least 8 years and am still using the same 2 B plates that came with it. I use it a lot, too, but just keep flipping plates and placing the die in all parts of the plates as I use them. I have very scratched surfaces, but scrap paper prevents them from showing up on my card stock.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for everyone's comments. I don't think the scratched plates are transferring creases onto my card stock because it is only crinkled around the outside edges. The inner areas are perfectly smooth. I actually did cut out extra circles and glue them to the back but some of the circles don't line up properly so I really wanted to find out what was causing the crinkles in the first place. A few days ago I used a thinner card stock for some die cuts and they came out perfect. I think the super thick card stock is what is causing the problem. I don't think the thin card stock looks as "quality" as the thick stuff does, but it certainly comes across as more professional since there are no crinkles.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a sander that's called a "Mouse", I use fine sand paper and sand the plates. It doesn't get all of them, but it helps a lot.
"Snowmen fall from heaven...unassembled." Author unknown
gobarb26 likes this post.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdmsulvt View Post
Thank you for everyone's comments. I don't think the scratched plates are transferring creases onto my card stock because it is only crinkled around the outside edges. The inner areas are perfectly smooth. I actually did cut out extra circles and glue them to the back but some of the circles don't line up properly so I really wanted to find out what was causing the crinkles in the first place. A few days ago I used a thinner card stock for some die cuts and they came out perfect. I think the super thick card stock is what is causing the problem. I don't think the thin card stock looks as "quality" as the thick stuff does, but it certainly comes across as more professional since there are no crinkles.
It stands to reason that where there is metal from the die, i.e. around the edges, is where the scratches will make an impression. If you are die cutting a circle, the inside does not get the pressure that the outside rim does (the reason you can also emboss with you dies) so will not pick up the scratch marks.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Polyshrink Goddess

The scratches sometimes disappear, along with the warping, when you bake the plates. There are lots of comments, pro and con, on baking the plates if you use the Search utility (upper right side) of this Forum. Worth reading, since there are no guarantees and "your mileage may vary."

From experience I learned not to bake any longer than 25 minutes at 325 degrees. Always that flattens the plates but getting the scratches and ink colors off varies, I'm guessing depending on the composition of the plates. I've bought many, from various sources.