In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #201
Matboard Maniac
 
jeffnval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bedford TX
Posts: 269
Default

Hi Michelle...I was just watching a video tutorial and she said that is your marker is starting to skip and "stick" to the paper and leaving lines and slotchy...then the marker need to be refilled. I personally have not experienced this yet...but I was just trying to categorize this info in my brain so than when it does I'll know what to do...
You said you already tried to refill and did not get better results??? On the video she said that she pours in roughly 20 drops...I was not sure how to refill so I have filed "20 drops" in my brain...

Other than that...I'm sorry I can't help...If you do find out please let us newbies know.

Valerie

P.S. I just my order from OOZAK with the new 12 colors in today...So now I need to add them to my color chart...Is there a new color cart to reflect the new colors?

Also...does anyone have the florescent colors? Are they worth the investment??? Just not sure how and what to blend them with.
jeffnval is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #202
Quacker Stamper
 
mschoener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 131,037
Default

I really don't have any kind of expert advice, but I think I might change the nib on one of them and see if that clears up the problem since it doesn't seem to be a "dry" problem. I haven't had anything like that happen with any of mine.
__________________
Working interferes with my personal life!
DT Me
mber:
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
mschoener is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #203
Insane Embellisher
 
Blankiefinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 929
Default

It almost sounds to me like your nibs on those markers have become contaminated with something. If your nibs come into contact with any pencil crayons etc, they can pick up some of the wax from the pencil leads, and then it can get transferred to that marker's blending partners during the blending process. I have three nibs right now that I need to change for exactly this reason. I'm not sure how they got dirty, but now they go on splotchy and shiny, and won't blend properly.
__________________
Christine R
My blog
Paper Sundaes challenge blog
Blankiefinder is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #204
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 12,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
...
P.S. I just my order from OOZAK with the new 12 colors in today...So now I need to add them to my color chart...Is there a new color cart to reflect the new colors? ...
Yes, Sharon Harnist has a 2011 hand color chart with all 346 colors. It's linked from this page: PaperFections: Copic FAQ, Color Charts & Tutorials
__________________
-- Judi M.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #205
Quacker Stamper
 
mschoener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 131,037
Default

Thanks for that link Judi. I have 2 of those little pocket ones that I just added the new colors to, but this is great for my notebook.
__________________
Working interferes with my personal life!
DT Me
mber:
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
mschoener is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #206
Matboard Maniac
 
jeffnval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bedford TX
Posts: 269
Default

Thanks Judi!!! I printed out a couple of the new charts on the different papers that I use and I was up to 4:30 trying to color them in...Hopefully that will be good for a year till they come out with new colors again.
Valerie
jeffnval is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #207
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 12,684
Default

I can believe the 4:30 AM, Valerie. It's time consuming to fill in all those little boxes.
__________________
-- Judi M.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #208
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

I have a question about copics. I have just ordered my first copics but forgot to
order the blending pen. Can you blend the copics with say, a Dove blender pen
or only the Copic blender pen? I did try to find that info before asking but just
didn't see it. TIA!
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #209
Quacker Stamper
 
mschoener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 131,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
I have a question about copics. I have just ordered my first copics but forgot to
order the blending pen. Can you blend the copics with say, a Dove blender pen
or only the Copic blender pen? I did try to find that info before asking but just
didn't see it. TIA!
The Copics "blender" pen doesn't really "blend." It's very unique and you really need one to get special effects for your work. You really blend using your various shades of colors that you blend together. The "blender" pen actually moves the ink from wherever you touch it to the paper. It's used a lot for fixing mistakes when you go out of the lines, you can use it to push the color back within the lines. Check out Marianne's I Like Markers blog and look at her information on using the blender. But I'd say you definitely need to get one.
__________________
Working interferes with my personal life!
DT Me
mber:
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
mschoener is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #210
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
The Copics "blender" pen doesn't really "blend." It's very unique and you really need one to get special effects for your work. You really blend using your various shades of colors that you blend together. The "blender" pen actually moves the ink from wherever you touch it to the paper. It's used a lot for fixing mistakes when you go out of the lines, you can use it to push the color back within the lines. Check out Marianne's I Like Markers blog and look at her information on using the blender. But I'd say you definitely need to get one.
Thanks for that info. If it's used for mistakes then I'm definately getting
one! Like I said this is my first foray into the Copics so I had better
head to my LSS for the blender pen. I'm excited to start practicing with
them! I really appreciate all the help/info that you all provide here
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #211
Mad Swapper
 
Ozcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 4,547
Send a message via MSN to Ozcat
Default

I love colouring with my Copics (only have about 23 of them) but I am never happy with the results when I look at all the amazing colouring on cards on SCS. I am so excited because my LSS is having Copic colouring classes at the end of May. I just can't wait to play. The classes last 4 hours so I will be in colouring heaven.
__________________
Catherine (aka Cat).

I'm a Kota's Kid and Fan Club member.
Ozcat is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #212
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,323
Default

Hi there! It sounds like the pigment from the ink is drying up in the nib and causing the ink to come out blobby and thick. This sometimes happens with the very dark pigments like dark blue and dark red. You can try to take the nib out and soak it in a baggy or small jar with some blender solution to "clean" it. When much of the ink comes out, put it back into the marker and see if that fixes it. If not, you may just need to replace the nib completely. Check to make sure your caps are on tight and if it's happening with certain markers only, check them over carefully and make sure that the barrel isn't cracked.

Hope this helps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MishB View Post
Hi Ladies - I'm having a problem with the copics that I haven't found an answer for so I thought perhaps one of you might have an answer. Sometimes, a few of my copics seem "sticky" on their tips (generally the same ones over and over) and they don't blend well. They, well, sort of "stick" and I get a spotty color. I'm using Georgia Pacific CS - and I'm sure there are better papers, but the problem is, other copics work just fine and I don't ahve any problems. I thought perhaps the problem might be that the marker is getting dry, but it doesn't seem to matter if I refill it or not. Does any have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you

Michelle
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #213
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,323
Default

As other's have already said, the blender doesn't blend. LOL To blend colors together, you use the lighter colors. In essence, color with a light color, add shading with a dark color and then blend with the lighter color. Since Copics are alcohol ink markers, they are a solvent and will react with other solvents. (I think the Dove Blender is a water based product and not a solvent, so it won't react with Copic ink.)

If you are new to the markers, there is definitely a learning curve to them. If you can, visit your local scrapbooking or stamping store to take a class.

Hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
I have a question about copics. I have just ordered my first copics but forgot to
order the blending pen. Can you blend the copics with say, a Dove blender pen
or only the Copic blender pen? I did try to find that info before asking but just
didn't see it. TIA!
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #214
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Schaan View Post
As other's have already said, the blender doesn't blend. LOL To blend colors together, you use the lighter colors. In essence, color with a light color, add shading with a dark color and then blend with the lighter color. Since Copics are alcohol ink markers, they are a solvent and will react with other solvents. (I think the Dove Blender is a water based product and not a solvent, so it won't react with Copic ink.)

If you are new to the markers, there is definitely a learning curve to them. If you can, visit your local scrapbooking or stamping store to take a class.

Hugs!
Our local LSS does have monthly Copic classes and I thought it would be a good idea to enroll in one also. Since Copics are an investment I didn't
want to purchase them and then get discouraged because I wasn't using them correctly! I've read other posts where people have bought them and
then don't use them because the coloring doesn't turn out as they expected. So, I think a class is a good idea for me!! Thanks for you help!
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #215
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,323
Default

Awesome!!! Have fun coloring!
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #216
Kookie Creator
 
ilikemarkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 379
Default

It's not the paper, it's the marker.

Somehow the ink is drying out and clogging the brush tips. This is what is causing them to be of a different color and gummy, I found a marker in my stack like this just the other day. This can be caused by 3 things:

1. The inside of the cap has a residue built up and so the marker isn't sealing properly.
2. The inside of the cap is cracked and not sealing properly
3. When you color with the brush, you are only using the tiniest part of the tip, not the sides of the brush.

To solve the first two: Clean out the inside of the cap with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. Visually check for breaks or lumps of built-up ink. If the cap is broken then you would have to replace the marker, as we don't sell replacement caps.

If the marker tip has gummed up simply from years of repetitive use in the same manner, then here are some suggestions:

Carefully remove the tip with Copic tweezers or needle-nose pliers. Soak in a few drops of rubbing alcohol/blender solution, cleaning out the tip. Rinse and repeat until the tip turns almost white again. Let the nib dry out then replace into the marker.

To prevent this from happening in the future, color with the side of the brush. This keeps the ink flowing over the entire surface of the nib, preventing the gumminess from unused ink simply drying out as you are coloring with the tip of the brush. We had this happen at a make-n-take we had a few years ago. The people trying the markers were too timid, and only used the tip of the brush for so long that the whole nib gummed up from under-use.

If this still doesn't help, please let me know and we'll figure out how to fix the problem.
__________________
marianne my blog: www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com
my work: www.copicmarker.com i draw stamps for: Our Craft Lounge
donate to a good cause: Pens For Kids
ilikemarkers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #217
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,528
Default Copic Opaque White?

I saw a jar of "Copic Opaque White " . It looks like it may be similar to paint . What is that used for??

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Barbara Jay is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #218
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,472
Default

The opaque white is for adding highlights to images. It's like paint.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #219
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,528
Default

Thanks !!
Barbara Jay is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #220
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 12,684
Default

This is a post on Marianne's blog that shows how she uses opaque white: I Like Markers: Opaque White- adding snow. You can also search her blog for "opaque white" to see other examples.
__________________
-- Judi M.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #221
Quacker Stamper
 
mschoener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 131,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I saw a jar of "Copic Opaque White " . It looks like it may be similar to paint . What is that used for??

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Did you see it for sale in a store?
__________________
Working interferes with my personal life!
DT Me
mber:
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
mschoener is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #222
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Hi all. I just recieved my first order (notice I said first!) of copics. I went to my
local LSS to see about a beginner class. They told me they only have intermediate
and advanced classes. They said there wasn't enough interest in beginner's
classes. Don't know if I'm buying that but, now what? Would it be beneficial
to take an on-line class or just try to wing it? I have colored some with them but
clearly need guidance as well as practice!! Any thoughts/suggestions would
be welcome. Thank you!
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #223
Stampin' Fool
 
atsamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,274
Default

Something that helped me when I was first starting was I Like Markers. The lady actually teaches Copic certification classes. But, as a beginner, be sure to go to her very first blog post in 2008 and work your way forward. She covers all the basics!!
__________________
Kim in Colorado
My blog: Joyful Creations with Kim

God is the Ultimate Crafter!!
atsamom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #224
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsamom View Post
Something that helped me when I was first starting was I Like Markers. The lady actually teaches Copic certification classes. But, as a beginner, be sure to go to her very first blog post in 2008 and work your way forward. She covers all the basics!!
Thank you Kim! I will start there and see how I do
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #225
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
Hi all. I just recieved my first order (notice I said first!) of copics. I went to my
local LSS to see about a beginner class. They told me they only have intermediate
and advanced classes. They said there wasn't enough interest in beginner's
classes. Don't know if I'm buying that but, now what? Would it be beneficial
to take an on-line class or just try to wing it? I have colored some with them but
clearly need guidance as well as practice!! Any thoughts/suggestions would
be welcome. Thank you!
I learned so much from the online classes and tutorials. You will find them very helpful.

Bonnie
Stampnf1n is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #226
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnf1n View Post
I learned so much from the online classes and tutorials. You will find them very helpful.

Bonnie
I've already learned something! I guess I need to get some different
paper. I took her cardstock test and mine didn't pass her criteria.
I used some Gina K heavy base weight and the Copics didn't blend
well. Then went on to GK's layering weight and that was a no go.
Finally found some paper that I suspect came from HL and it reacted
like it was supposed to. Go figure! She recommends Neenah paper
so I guess I'll get some of that. I'm determined to learn how to use
these markers so I'll just have to get what I need and practice,
practice, practice! LOL!!
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #227
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,323
Default

Where are you located? If the store isn't willing to offer education for the product, (which is a shame in my mind!) maybe you can contact a certified instructor who lives near you and see if he/she would consider meeting with you and giving you a lesson or two. (Expect to pay per hour).

While there is a TON of info out there on Copics (and other brands of alcohol ink markers), it's not all correct or clear...so be ready to weed through a bunch of it to find the good stuff (which there is also a lot of!)
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #228
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Schaan View Post
Where are you located? If the store isn't willing to offer education for the product, (which is a shame in my mind!) maybe you can contact a certified instructor who lives near you and see if he/she would consider meeting with you and giving you a lesson or two. (Expect to pay per hour).

While there is a TON of info out there on Copics (and other brands of alcohol ink markers), it's not all correct or clear...so be ready to weed through a bunch of it to find the good stuff (which there is also a lot of!)
I live in NE Kansas, close to Topeka. If you know of any instructors that might like to give a few classes that would be great! Meanwhile I'll
keep going through Marianne's blogs for helpful tips/instruction. Thanks
for responding to my posts. I noticed on Marianne's blog that there are a couple of new books coming out so I'll be looking forward to getting
those. Thanks again!
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #229
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
I live in NE Kansas, close to Topeka. If you know of any instructors that might like to give a few classes that would be great! Meanwhile I'll
keep going through Marianne's blogs for helpful tips/instruction. Thanks
for responding to my posts. I noticed on Marianne's blog that there are a couple of new books coming out so I'll be looking forward to getting
those. Thanks again!
I have not found any classes in the Omaha Ne area either. Soooo I drive to Shawnee, KS to the Scrapbook Page. There is a gal there that has the most awesome classes. And the store is wonderful. The class price includes the supplies and the use of their Copic markers.

I dont know if its convenient for you to drive there or not but I thought I would mention it.

Bonnie
Stampnf1n is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #230
Stampin' Fool
 
LorraineBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,304
Default

sub
__________________

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
LorraineBK is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #231
Pearl-ExPert
 
scrapbook4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,943
Default

Great links. I just subscribed to them.
scrapbook4ever is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #232
Splitcoast Team Member
 
stamp_momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 11,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
I live in NE Kansas, close to Topeka. If you know of any instructors that might like to give a few classes that would be great!
I think that Stamper's Ink and The Scrapbook Page - both independent stores on Shawnee Mission Parkway offer several different skill levels of Copic classes on a fairly regular basis.
__________________
Lori Craig Splitcoast Advertising Manager
blogging and helping your favorite crafty companies succeed in business

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
stamp_momma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #233
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 288
Default

I can't believe it...this will be the third time writing this post...keep hitting the wrong button!

OK, Juble - you are not alone in struggling with using Copics and finding paper bleeding and not know what one to use and getting confused with all the suggestions about this paper and that paper. Consequently, I have quite an inventory of suggested papers!

I found this document and I followed the instructions the other day. My results are:

a) LSS in-house paper - everyone who hangs out there raves about it. For me, it bleeds. I am assuming this is because I am such a newbie and it will work for me when I know what I am doing.
b) Cathie Allen's 130-lb - also raved about at my LSS. It bleeds for me...I can find another use for this paper so, no big loss.
c) Neenah Classic Crest - this paper did not bleed for me...yipee!
d) Prism Simply Smooth - recommended by the Copic instructor at my LSS...did not bleed for me....another yipee!
e) Cryogen White - did not bleed for me...pretty paper..off-white and sparkly. If it is important that my image be on white paper...I have two others to choose from...another yipee!
f) Gina K 120-lb - it does not bleed however, it is a real PITA to blend and, my colors look faded. I have been using this paper in my homework to date and I have been really struggling - no more! I will not use this paper for Copicing but, I am really, really looking forward to using this paper with my Distress inks!!! Thumbs down for Copic but a big thumbs up for Distress inks.

I am taking the online Copic classes from Suzanne Dean (can"t say enough about this) and I used the Prism Simply Smooth for my homework last night...what a difference...no more struggling and feeling frustrated!

So basically, it comes down to simply what works for you. Follow the instructions in the document with the papers you have. I intend to keep adding to my swatch file as I accumulate more papers. Remember...each person colors differently and so will the papers. What works for someone else may not work for you and vice versa.

Cathy
__________________
I stand alone without beliefs...the only truth I know is you

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Catrick; 04-10-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Catrick is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #234
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,528
Default

I am on my own to learn to use Copics as there are no classes anywhere near me and I can't afford the on-line classes.
I love these markers!

A couple of tips that may help.
I checked sites where designers often use Copics and tell you the colors they use. It really helps to see them used on an image before you buy them
A couple of my favorite sites are
Beate
fresh & fun
Sharon Harnist
PaperFections

Both tell you the markers they used and Sharon has a lot of Copic information on her site.

You generally need 3 colors in the same color family to get them to blend and the colors need to be close to each other
If you try to blend B29 and B 21 or YG00 & YG09 or RV000 & RV19 you will "never" get them to blend. They are too far apart on the color wheel.

The color gets darker by about a 1/2 shade each time you go over the same color so you can make darker shades just by going over the coloring again.

Very light colors blended into very dark colors will push the dark color and leave an ugly line that is close to impossible to blend out.

The paper makes a huge difference. I use Neenah Classic Solar white super smooth, but I have been told the X-Press It paper is fabulous. I hope to try it one day, but it is a bit pricey.

I keep a notebook of images I have colored and I am pleased with the combinations I chose.

I never had any art training and I am a bit new to this, however here is a Goldfinch I colored with Copics . I still have a lot to learn , but you can teach yourself

Birthday card for Nancy-JRC_048 by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps a bit
__________________
"I have not failed . I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas A. Edison
Barbara Jay is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #235
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks much for the tips !
Tumbelweed Tess is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #236
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I can't believe it...this will be the third time writing this post...keep hitting the wrong button!

OK, Juble - you are not alone in struggling with using Copics and finding paper bleeding and not know what one to use and getting confused with all the suggestions about this paper and that paper. Consequently, I have quite an inventory of suggested papers!

I found this document and I followed the instructions the other day. My results are:

a) LSS in-house paper - everyone who hangs out there raves about it. For me, it bleeds. I am assuming this is because I am such a newbie and it will work for me when I know what I am doing.
b) Cathie Allen's 130-lb - also raved about at my LSS. It bleeds for me...I can find another use for this paper so, no big loss.
c) Neenah Classic Crest - this paper did not bleed for me...yipee!
d) Prism Simply Smooth - recommended by the Copic instructor at my LSS...did not bleed for me....another yipee!
e) Cryogen White - did not bleed for me...pretty paper..off-white and sparkly. If it is important that my image be on white paper...I have two others to choose from...another yipee!
f) Gina K 120-lb - it does not bleed however, it is a real PITA to blend and, my colors look faded. I have been using this paper in my homework to date and I have been really struggling - no more! I will not use this paper for Copicing but, I am really, really looking forward to using this paper with my Distress inks!!! Thumbs down for Copic but a big thumbs up for Distress inks.

I am taking the online Copic classes from Suzanne Dean (can"t say enough about this) and I used the Prism Simply Smooth for my homework last night...what a difference...no more struggling and feeling frustrated!

So basically, it comes down to simply what works for you. Follow the instructions in the document with the papers you have. I intend to keep adding to my swatch file as I accumulate more papers. Remember...each person colors differently and so will the papers. What works for someone else may not work for you and vice versa.

Cathy
Oh, Cathy! Thank you for the paper comparison!! I haven't checked this
thread in a while and hadn't seen your post! I've been practicing and my
LSS contacted me stating they would have a beginner Copic class this month.
I colored a GKD stamp of a frog and toadstool and it actually didn't look too
bad. I'm slightly encouraged! LOL!! I used the GKD 120# paper but may have
to try something different. Thanks again for the info!!
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #237
Mad Swapper
 
Juble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I am on my own to learn to use Copics as there are no classes anywhere near me and I can't afford the on-line classes.
I love these markers!

A couple of tips that may help.
I checked sites where designers often use Copics and tell you the colors they use. It really helps to see them used on an image before you buy them
A couple of my favorite sites are
Beate
fresh & fun
Sharon Harnist
PaperFections

Both tell you the markers they used and Sharon has a lot of Copic information on her site.

You generally need 3 colors in the same color family to get them to blend and the colors need to be close to each other
If you try to blend B29 and B 21 or YG00 & YG09 or RV000 & RV19 you will "never" get them to blend. They are too far apart on the color wheel.

The color gets darker by about a 1/2 shade each time you go over the same color so you can make darker shades just by going over the coloring again.

Very light colors blended into very dark colors will push the dark color and leave an ugly line that is close to impossible to blend out.

The paper makes a huge difference. I use Neenah Classic Solar white super smooth, but I have been told the X-Press It paper is fabulous. I hope to try it one day, but it is a bit pricey.

I keep a notebook of images I have colored and I am pleased with the combinations I chose.

I never had any art training and I am a bit new to this, however here is a Goldfinch I colored with Copics . I still have a lot to learn , but you can teach yourself

Birthday card for Nancy-JRC_048 by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps a bit
Barbara Jay your goldfinch looks lovely! I don't have any art training either
but it sure is fun playing with these markers!! I've been practicing but.......
long way to go.
Juble is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #238
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 7
Default

When do you use the "chisel" point on the Sketch marker?
What color "green" would you suggest using with
G40 and G82?
Thanks for your help.
Barbara
Tumbelweed Tess is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #239
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 12,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbelweed Tess View Post
... What color "green" would you suggest using with
G40 and G82? ...
Two darker colors that combine with G40 and G82 are G85 and G94. Those four colors together are what Flourishes calls "The Fields Collection."

There's a coloring guide in my gallery that shows leaves done with G40, G82, and G94: Copic Coloring Guide: Chipmunk & Vinca 2 by Crafts

__________________
-- Judi M.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #240
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 7
Default Copic green colors

Hi Judi,
Thanks so much for your help with the Copic green colors.
Barbara
Tumbelweed Tess is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off