Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copic with colored pencils and paper types

With Kathy Rac's coloring challenge going on right now, I have been practicing my coloring with Copics. I just love how Kathy combines colored pencils with her Copics. I ordered a small set of Polychromos pencils to try and I don't like my results. I know I need more practice (and probably a bigger set of colors).

Does it matter what type of colored pencils to use with Copics, wax or oil?
Does it matter what type of paper you are using with colored pencils over Copics?

I'm using Spectrum Noir cardstock and I feel like maybe the paper is too smooth for the colored pencils. But, I really like how the paper reacts with the Copics.

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 542 Likes on 195 Posts

Neenah Solar White always works well with Copics and Prismacolor...others have recommended Strathmore Bristol - haven't tried it yet though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Mary, I love my Polychromos pencils as much as I do my Copics. As a true enabler should do, I would suggest that you need more colors!

I don't like Prismacolors because they're wax-based; I don't like the waxy bloom you get with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Linda, what card stock do you use?

I ended up getting a big set of Prismacolor for a great deal. We'll see how it goes with wax bloom. I'm not an artist by any means so I hope I won't be able to tell the difference in pencils.;)

I'm probably the only crafter who doesn't like Neenah cardstock. I find that Copics don't blend as well and Momento ink bleeds. I really like Spectum Noir cardstock but find it is just too smooth for pencils.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Mary, I love my Polychromos pencils as much as I do my Copics. As a true enabler should do, I would suggest that you need more colors!

I don't like Prismacolors because they're wax-based; I don't like the waxy bloom you get with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of Neenah. I've been searching for a bristol that I can use in my printer (for coloring pages and digi stamps). I ordered a Vellum Bristol but I'm afraid it will be too thin (maybe 67#) for what I like. I'll keep searching for a Bristol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGardenView Post
Neenah Solar White always works well with Copics and Prismacolor...others have recommended Strathmore Bristol - haven't tried it yet though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Mary, I use XPress-It Blending Card, Hammermill Color Copy Digital (in both 80# and 100#), Papertrey Ink Stampers Select White or Recollections 110# by Michaels (the older paper made in the USA, not the newer made in China.) I also have a pad of Strathmore Bristol Vellum that's 100# that you would probably love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
Linda, what card stock do you use?

I ended up getting a big set of Prismacolor for a great deal. We'll see how it goes with wax bloom. I'm not an artist by any means so I hope I won't be able to tell the difference in pencils.;)

I'm probably the only crafter who doesn't like Neenah cardstock. I find that Copics don't blend as well and Momento ink bleeds. I really like Spectum Noir cardstock but find it is just too smooth for pencils.
No, not the only one. I HATE Neenah for Copics. I only use X-Press It. I love Bristol smooth for pencil work but I don't know if Copics work on it. I haven't tried it.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I use X-Press It Blending card for everything except watercolour. I have every colour of the polychromos pencils because before I purchased my copic that is what I used. I also did parchment work for a long time and the pencils were the prefered tool for colouring.One of the tricks in using the pencils is to keep them very sharp.

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes