In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,234
Default Copic Chatter

I am just beginning to use these markers and just love them! I haven't been obsessed about a product since, well, since I discovered stamping.

I know that there are tons of threads on here about Copic markers but I thought it would be fun to have a "Copic Chatter" like there is a "Cricut Chatter".

So let's talk about the Best place to buy, Best Inkpad, Best Cardstock your most used Colors, Storage ideas, your tried and true tips and share your creations!
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,234
Default

Okay, I'll start.

I have found that the Memento Ink works great with the PTI white cardstock that I use.

I would like to try Palette Noir ink next to see if the images are crisper.

I would also like to try Gina K's Luxury Cardstock. I heard it's wonderful for Copics.

Right now I only own about a dozen Sketch markers so they just sit on my table. I'd love to get the Making Memories lazy susan for them. But I'm afraid they would look so sparse and lonely that I would have to go out and buy a huge set. And my credit card can't handle that right now.
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Crimping Master
 
SusieN56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,041
Send a message via AIM to SusieN56 Send a message via Yahoo to SusieN56
Default

I just got a pack of the Gina K card stock, so I will make a mental note to try it for the copics.
I had only been able to purchase what my local Hobby Lobby had for markers, but over Xmas, I persuaded my DH to take me to a Dick Blick store in Chicago. It was my forst time seeing a full display, but now I know that they arre available there, I will be able to occasionally check out some of the colors in person. I now have 39.... and counting.
__________________
My Gallery
Susanne
SusieN56 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,370
Smile

I use Papertrey white card stock and Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

A great tip I got from someone here (sorry I can't remember who) was to use Versafine Onyx Black ink and detail CLEAR EP to help from going outside the lines when coloring. It works very well and it looks really pretty!

** For some reason (I do not know why), it is the metallic EP that causes problems but not the CLEAR!

I am storing mine HORIZONTALLY because I read here that someone is having a problem with one end drying out. I am not taking any chances. These "babies" are just too expensive to fool around with! LOL!

www.oozak.com has GOT to be the ABSOLUTE BEST source for purchasing Copics. They have the cheapest prices I have found, the shipping is so fast that is amazing! They so very nice to deal with. My computer would not allow me to check out on the site ( even the guy from oozak did not know why and he talked me throught the steps and it still didn't work!), so he took my order over the phone. He told me it would ship that same day and it got to my home in 1 day! They are in Michigan and I am in NJ!

*True, I know they sell out FAST with many colors but if you can get them, they are worth buying at Oozak.

*** PLUS, FREE shipping with a $50 order!!
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
I am storing mine HORIZONTALLY because I read here that someone is having a problem with one end drying out. I am not taking any chances. These "babies" are just too expensive to fool around with! LOL!
Well that's interesting. I used to store mine horizontally, but then switched to vertically, and since then I have had a problem with two of mine drying up. Guess I should go back to horizontal storage.
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Matboard Maniac
 
scrappyjack57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: mount juliet, tn
Posts: 245
Default

...slight hijack...just noticed on the oozak site that marker prices are going up the first of the year...????...don't know if other companies will do that or not...sale on ellen hutson today that brings her individual markers very close to the oozak price...i think it is 20% off everything...
scrappyjack57 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama View Post
Well that's interesting. I used to store mine horizontally, but then switched to vertically, and since then I have had a problem with two of mine drying up. Guess I should go back to horizontal storage.

I really do not understand why they would dry out because there seem to be tons of people that store them vertically. Whenever I see a picture of someone's craft room or pictures on a blog where they show what colors they used on the card, the COPICS are always shown vertically.

But, like I said, (lol!) I am not taking any chances. I want them to last as long as possible!
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,370
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyjack57 View Post
...slight hijack...just noticed on the oozak site that marker prices are going up the first of the year...????...don't know if other companies will do that or not...sale on ellen hutson today that brings her individual markers very close to the oozak price...i think it is 20% off everything...
Yes, I believe it is going up all over because it says that the US IMPORTER is raising the price. So I guess the stores have no choice but to pass the increase on to the customer. I "think" that's how it works, I am certainly not an economics person! LOL! But my hubby wishes I were!!Hehehe!
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 137
Default Dick Blick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieN56 View Post
I had only been able to purchase what my local Hobby Lobby had for markers, but over Xmas, I persuaded my DH to take me to a Dick Blick store in Chicago. It was my first time seeing a full display, but now I know that they are available there, I will be able to occasionally check out some of the colors in person.
Oooh, you are by me! In case you did not know this, if you go to "store locations" on the Dick Blick website, it will let you sign up for email, and they email % off coupons occassionally. They are usually 30% off, but I recently got a 40% off. You can print multiples and you and your hubby can each purchase with a coupon at the North Ave store, and you can run up while he illegally waits downstairs (parking is a loser) in the Loop store. Over the course of a weekend, one can amass quite a few 40% off markers. Hypothetically, of course. It is a great deal, even with our terrible tax, and depending on the direction you are coming from, there are suburban stores to add in as well.

If you are a teacher or student, you also get their membership free (normally $10/year). This also gets you coupons and 10% off full price purchases. I personally do not think it's worth the $10 (since I prefer waiting to use the 30% or 40% off coupons), but I teach so get it for free, and am happy to use the coupons when they send them! I started with the Dick Blick custom manga set of 24, which IMO is a nice set as sets go, esp if you can get it with a coupon.

Say hi if you make another trip down here. If there's a coupon, I will doubtless be there, Copic color chart in hand. LOVE Dick Blick!!
cuppymouse is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert
 
cjbapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,591
Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp
Default

Ohh...it would be fun if there was a *STICKY* Copic thread...I see tons of the same questions over and over...and I actually had a question myself today and couldn't find the answer on the ilikemarkers blog.

I also use Memento Ink and PTI paper...it's my favorite combo, though I have had good luck with Brilliance too, and even SU Basic Gray Ink works fine if I am careful and don't go over any lines. I have gotten a few images on swaps that were not PTI CS and they colored ok, but I notice that the colors are a bit muted on thin paper.

I have about 130 markers now, and a list of about a dozen more that I have been waiting to come in stock, and at this point I think I am about done. I have all the shades I love, and possibly may find that I need one or two down the road, but my collection seems to be just about perfect for what I do.

I tried a 2nd Making Memories Carousel (Susan...) and really hated it for my markers...they fell over in the larger spaces and it was too high to see the ends to choose colors when I was sitting at the table. I returned it and went with a Magpie cubby unit on the wall. I have a jar where I add what colors I am using and set that on the table...I am short on work space as it is, so this works better!

On a side note...Ellen Hutson's has copics for $4 with the 20% off code...COUNTLESS Still not the colors I am waiting for though. I usually buy from creativeplaystamps.com since they carry a lot of other items I use and free shipping over $50 with a freebie thrown in is GREAT!! I love Oozak, but they are always out of stock.

Now for my question...

Are Copic Original and Sketch nibs interchangeable?? I would love to swap out my broad tips for fine round tips.
__________________
Cher
No longer stamping...on to bigger things.
cjbapp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
Now for my question... Are Copic Original and Sketch nibs interchangeable?? I would love to swap out my broad tips for fine round tips.
No, apparently, the original nibs won't fit sketch markers. So the closest you can get is the medium round, but that is not what you wanted...

See http://www.copicmarker.com/nibs_sketch.html

And wow, what a collection! I'm in the mid-40s so again, wow! Would love to know what your desert island favorites are.
cuppymouse is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
Pearl-ExPert
 
cjbapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,591
Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppymouse View Post
No, apparently, the original nibs won't fit sketch markers. So the closest you can get is the medium round, but that is not what you wanted...

See http://www.copicmarker.com/nibs_sketch.html

And wow, what a collection! I'm in the mid-40s so again, wow! Would love to know what your desert island favorites are.
Do you think I could write with that end? It seems kind of Crayola Marker Big...LOL

And I tend to do softer more rustic colors...so if you have a style like mine you might like the same basics as me...these are the ones I almost always pull out:

Pink-red: R20-29 and R37

Blues: BG72 and B91-97 (Love the B40's also...but they don't get as much use)

Earth Skin Browns: E00, E30's, E41, E70's

Yellow: YR21 and Y35

Orange: YR65 and YR68

Pale Shadows (water etc): C-1, C-3, B000, BG000, B60

Lavendar: B20's

Green: G20's and YG63
__________________
Cher
No longer stamping...on to bigger things.
cjbapp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
Kookie Creator
 
pantala40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 500
Default

I'd like to join in and second the Oozak.com plug!! I just ordered my first set of Copics from them last week - my order is due to arrive tomorrow, I CANNOT WAIT!!

I wasn't ever going to splurge on these...I even put my year end bonus towards bills - but then I got a $500 AMEX Gift Card from work on top of the bonus, and I thought - WHAT THE HECK! Copics it is!

I will say though, that I did not order an official set. What I did was used the "gotta have them all" color set on Ellen Hutson, and used that as a baseline for what colors I will most likely need. I was able to get 75 of these (the rest were out of stock on Oozak.com) The reason I did it this way, is that it was way cheaper to use Oozak.com to pick the markers invidiually ($3.90 per marker) than it was to pay the $450+ that Ellen Hutson was pricing. (although you do get a free case from EH, so I suppose that might be attractive to some)

Anyhoo - I am really psyched to get my new Copics. I can't wait to try 'em out and let you know how they work!
__________________
*Kerry*
pantala40 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Kookie Creator
 
pantala40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 500
Default

OH! one more tip, I used this blog as a reference for "Favorite Copic Color Combos" - you will see them listed on the left hand column of her blog:

http://www.debbiedesigns.typepad.com/

HTH!
__________________
*Kerry*
pantala40 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
Mad Swapper
 
stigmom6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 2,036
Default

I also use momento black and PTI! In my experience Pallette should be heat set! I have purchased 90 % of my 200 copic sketch from carpediemstore.com They are always in stock and at $3.95 per marker the prive can not be beat. Shipping is a bit high but still well worth it they are also very fast. They are in califonia and I am arizona so I get them faster than others. I plan on ordering the remaining 128 colors I want and an air brush system.
__________________
Patti My Blog... Design U
I Design for In Style Stamps
stigmom6 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
First To Quack
 
Beachbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: finally in Florida!
Posts: 49,454
Default

Great idea to put a sticky on this thread! I keep going into a search for copics everytime have a question. I am ready to place another order today (these things are addictive!!!) but oozak is sold out of almost all of their colors.
__________________
¸.·´* .·´*¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´*~Dody.·´*¨¨))
-:¦:- ·· ((¸¸.·´* .·´*((¸¸.·.·´ *-:¦:- ...


Cards from the Cabana
Beachbound is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Pearl-ExPert
 
kestril00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: A few hours east of Forks
Posts: 2,352
Send a message via Yahoo to kestril00
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyjack57 View Post
...slight hijack...just noticed on the oozak site that marker prices are going up the first of the year...????...don't know if other companies will do that or not...sale on ellen hutson today that brings her individual markers very close to the oozak price...i think it is 20% off everything...
Thanks for the notice! I was going to wait for my birthday (2/1) to order, but will do it earlier now!
__________________
Search and Earn Gift Cards, etc. with SwagBucks!
kestril00 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #18
Pearl-ExPert
 
dstfrommi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Surrounded by corn fields.
Posts: 4,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Great idea to put a sticky on this thread! I keep going into a search for copics everytime have a question. I am ready to place another order today (these things are addictive!!!) but oozak is sold out of almost all of their colors.
I just ordered 25 from MerriArtist and they were all in stock. They are $4.46 per marker (sketch) and anything over $90 is free shipping. I've bought most of mine from there and they have top notch service and ship within a day.
__________________
Debbie

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
dstfrommi is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Kookie Creator
 
pantala40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Great idea to put a sticky on this thread! I keep going into a search for copics everytime have a question. I am ready to place another order today (these things are addictive!!!) but oozak is sold out of almost all of their colors.
if you pay close attention to when they are arriving with new shipments, you might be able to time it just right - that's what I did last week. They received an order on 12/23 around noon EST and I hopped on there & grabbed all the ones I needed! I even called Customer Service and they were great about letting me know when the order arrived.
__________________
*Kerry*
pantala40 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #20
Mad Swapper
 
stigmom6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Buckeye, AZ
Posts: 2,036
Default

I would suggest checking www.carpediemstore.com at $3.95 each they are the least expensive when it comes to the sketch. I have had nothing but great service! I have made several orders and they have always been in stock!
__________________
Patti My Blog... Design U
I Design for In Style Stamps
stigmom6 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #21
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,370
Question

How do we go about asking (begging? LOL!) to have it made into a "STICKY?"

I barely know what it means but I guess it is sort of like the first "turn to" source for information?









Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
Ohh...it would be fun if there was a *STICKY* Copic thread...I see tons of the same questions over and over...and I actually had a question myself today and couldn't find the answer on the ilikemarkers blog.

I also use Memento Ink and PTI paper...it's my favorite combo, though I have had good luck with Brilliance too, and even SU Basic Gray Ink works fine if I am careful and don't go over any lines. I have gotten a few images on swaps that were not PTI CS and they colored ok, but I notice that the colors are a bit muted on thin paper.

I have about 130 markers now, and a list of about a dozen more that I have been waiting to come in stock, and at this point I think I am about done. I have all the shades I love, and possibly may find that I need one or two down the road, but my collection seems to be just about perfect for what I do.

I tried a 2nd Making Memories Carousel (Susan...) and really hated it for my markers...they fell over in the larger spaces and it was too high to see the ends to choose colors when I was sitting at the table. I returned it and went with a Magpie cubby unit on the wall. I have a jar where I add what colors I am using and set that on the table...I am short on work space as it is, so this works better!

On a side note...Ellen Hutson's has copics for $4 with the 20% off code...COUNTLESS Still not the colors I am waiting for though. I usually buy from creativeplaystamps.com since they carry a lot of other items I use and free shipping over $50 with a freebie thrown in is GREAT!! I love Oozak, but they are always out of stock.

Now for my question...

Are Copic Original and Sketch nibs interchangeable?? I would love to swap out my broad tips for fine round tips.
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert
 
Shopping Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dreaming of the Outerbanks
Posts: 2,378
Default

I store mine vertical in a Making Memories lazy susan. I haven't had any problems.
Shopping Diva is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #23
Pearl-ExPert
 
cjbapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,591
Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp
Default

I can't see that storing them vertical would hurt anything considering Copic sells the sets IN VERTICAL STORAGE. They have more and have had them longer than any of us, so I trust their advice which states that it doesn't matter which way you store them.
__________________
Cher
No longer stamping...on to bigger things.
cjbapp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #24
Insane Embellisher
 
MissRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,141
Default

Well, reading this thread, I just went to oozark and placed my first order. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I kept reading about the Copics and have decided to take the plundge and ordered myself some. Now I'll just have to figure out how to use them LOL

Thanks for the site.....that is the best price I have seen.

Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantala40 View Post
if you pay close attention to when they are arriving with new shipments, you might be able to time it just right - that's what I did last week. They received an order on 12/23 around noon EST and I hopped on there & grabbed all the ones I needed! I even called Customer Service and they were great about letting me know when the order arrived.
__________________
Marcia - Miss Rain•:,¸¸,:•:*¨¨*:•:,¸¸,:• I love creating! •:*¨¨*:•:,¸¸,:•:*¨¨*:•
MissRain is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
Pearl-ExPert
 
cjbapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,591
Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp
Default

Ok...not sure if this will help anyone...since all computer screens are different. But here is the color-in chart that I use for my markers...I haven't updated it yet with my last order, but if it works...I can redo the photo with the rest of them.

The online swatches are HORRIBLY OFF on many colors...and I bought quite a few colors based on recommendations of others thinking they would just be WRONG when I saw the swatch in my shopping cart...but they got here and were perfect! So in person, these colors do look different!

Hopefully if you have a few of the same colors as I do, you can get a good idea of what you want next...and what you don't!

This chart was printed on PTI CS...on geogia pacific CS the colors looked a bit more grayed-out.

A nice thing to know is: You don't need all 322 Sketch colors EVER. Many are nearly identical to each other. Check out the library at copicmarker.com and click on color wheel to see which ones. (This chart is there too) I printed that wheel and checked off what I have, so that when I order more, I don't buy one right next to one I already have, as the one I have can be used instead.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
img_1468.jpg  
__________________
Cher
No longer stamping...on to bigger things.
cjbapp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
I can't see that storing them vertical would hurt anything considering Copic sells the sets IN VERTICAL STORAGE. They have more and have had them longer than any of us, so I trust their advice which states that it doesn't matter which way you store them.
I thought so too but what was odd for me is that I stored them with the brush tip down. When I went to use the broad end it was dry. Then while using the brush tip it started to dry up. I thought maybe I had bought a dud from HL, like someone had used it and returned it. But then another one of my Sketch markers is doing the same exact thing! The rest of mine (all 10 of them ) seem to be okay though....

Cher, I am super jealous of all those copics you have!!!
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #27
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,234
Default

Okay, so I have read Michelle's blog ilikemarkers.com but I am still having trouble apply some techniques. Like the shading technique. I just can't seem to like how it turns out. Does anyone have any tips that worked for them when they first began?
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
Pearl-ExPert
 
cjbapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,591
Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama View Post
Okay, so I have read Michelle's blog ilikemarkers.com but I am still having trouble apply some techniques. Like the shading technique. I just can't seem to like how it turns out. Does anyone have any tips that worked for them when they first began?
I say practice with ONE marker.

It really helped when I started shading with the same marker that I color it in with. For me it was like a *click* and I just got it after doing that for a while first.
__________________
Cher
No longer stamping...on to bigger things.
cjbapp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #29
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,234
Default

Thanks Cher. Do you ever shade using a gray color?
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
First To Quack
 
Beachbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: finally in Florida!
Posts: 49,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantala40 View Post
if you pay close attention to when they are arriving with new shipments, you might be able to time it just right - that's what I did last week. They received an order on 12/23 around noon EST and I hopped on there & grabbed all the ones I needed! I even called Customer Service and they were great about letting me know when the order arrived.
Wow! That was lucky! I just got on that site & they only have 6 that I want. I'll try again before the 5th when prices go up.
__________________
¸.·´* .·´*¨¨)) -:¦:-
((¸¸.·´*~Dody.·´*¨¨))
-:¦:- ·· ((¸¸.·´* .·´*((¸¸.·.·´ *-:¦:- ...


Cards from the Cabana
Beachbound is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Pearl-ExPert
 
Shopping Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dreaming of the Outerbanks
Posts: 2,378
Default

I'm starting to get really confused on which way to store them. They say it doesn't matter which way, but why are some people having the "drying up" problem then? How about everyone lists how they store theirs and we kind of poll it? I do it vertically...............
Shopping Diva is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #32
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,370
Smile

Horizontally just because I'm chicken. LOL! If it says "marker", it automatically goes horizontal at my house. LOL! But I do know that they say it is OK to store them vertically.

What can I say! Old habits die hard and besides, this way they can go in a box and then in a drawer-AWAY FROM THE CATS!!!!!!! LOL!
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #33
Polyshrink Goddess
 
scubascrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 639
Default

Horizontally, I use the 4 section cubes from Office Max. I have 4 cubes and can divide out all of my color families this way. I'm so used to storing my SU markers horizontally that this just makes sense to me to do the same.
__________________
Arlene

My new BLOG
scubascrapper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #34
Kookie Creator
 
pantala40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
Ok...not sure if this will help anyone...since all computer screens are different. But here is the color-in chart that I use for my markers...I haven't updated it yet with my last order, but if it works...I can redo the photo with the rest of them.

The online swatches are HORRIBLY OFF on many colors...and I bought quite a few colors based on recommendations of others thinking they would just be WRONG when I saw the swatch in my shopping cart...but they got here and were perfect! So in person, these colors do look different!

Hopefully if you have a few of the same colors as I do, you can get a good idea of what you want next...and what you don't!

This chart was printed on PTI CS...on geogia pacific CS the colors looked a bit more grayed-out.

A nice thing to know is: You don't need all 322 Sketch colors EVER. Many are nearly identical to each other. Check out the library at copicmarker.com and click on color wheel to see which ones. (This chart is there too) I printed that wheel and checked off what I have, so that when I order more, I don't buy one right next to one I already have, as the one I have can be used instead.

Hope this helps!
wow, this is GREAT!!! THANK YOU!!!
__________________
*Kerry*
pantala40 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
Kookie Creator
 
pantala40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Wow! That was lucky! I just got on that site & they only have 6 that I want. I'll try again before the 5th when prices go up.
yea, there are about 23 or so more that weren't in stock so I wasn't able to get those...I'm patiently waiting

but I was luckily able to time it just right on 12/23 when they recieved a BIG shipment, and got about 75 of the markers that I wanted. If you purchase over $50 you get free shipping...which to me is worth it. I will try & get each order from them over $50 in the future. I hate paying shipping!!
__________________
*Kerry*
pantala40 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #36
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: living in the basement studio
Posts: 908
Default

Arlene, I use the four-section cubes from Office Max, too. Look at it this way, they are not easily countable... kwim? Hee... But I am too chicken to store them vertically, too. Too much money to take chances...
MamaSchwich is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #37
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,477
Default

ooh nice idea for a thread! I'll read through it later tonight. I just added another $100+ worth of markers to my collection. eek.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #38
Kookie Creator
 
pantala40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
ooh nice idea for a thread! I'll read through it later tonight. I just added another $100+ worth of markers to my collection. eek.
LOL

it's dangerous!!

and I totally agree that we need to make this a "sticky" - that way people can read it instead of always starting new Copic threads. Who do we have to harass to get this request considered?
__________________
*Kerry*
pantala40 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #39
Gabfest Goddess
 
Cathy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 7,205
Default

I only have Ciaos and wonder if anyone has ever seen a color chart that just has the colors that Ciaos come in????????
__________________
Cathy H

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Cathy H is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #40
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy H View Post
I only have Ciaos and wonder if anyone has ever seen a color chart that just has the colors that Ciaos come in????????
I'm loving this thread! Here is the chart from Sharon Harnist's blog. There is a little "C" next to the Ciao colors. You could edit it to remove the other stuff-- I edited it to make it fit on a single page as that worked well for my needs.

http://paperfections.typepad.com/pap...color-cha.html

HTH!
cuppymouse is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off