In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #321
Die Cut Diva
 
maddiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ4417 View Post
Actually, Anaheim is about 4 hours away and I would love to go down, but that is the weekend we are having a family reunion in the Pismo Beach area. If something changes for some reason, I'll definately look into it. Otherwise, maybe another time. Are the certification classes basically teaching you how to use copics?
Here is a link to Marianne's blog and her post about the certification classes. There is an outline of the day after the location information. http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...2008-2009.html

I'll be at the Anaheim class and am so excited! I attended a make and take with Marianne and Joy from Our Craft Lounge. Both ladies are so nice. I'll be bringing a few Our Craft Lounge images to practice on at the class as well as a few others. I would have loved to meet you there, but there is a class in Chino (still about 4 hours away from you) in April too.

Mary Jane
__________________
Mary Jane
Wish RAK Moderator
Wish RAK Updater
Wish RAK Mentor
maddiesmom is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #322
Die Cut Diva
 
maddiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallcomp View Post
I know I'm not Susan, but I will assist to the certification class on the 23rd. That was the more convenient place and date for me, since I live in anaheim...
You're assisting at Anaheim? I'll see you there!

Mary Jane
__________________
Mary Jane
Wish RAK Moderator
Wish RAK Updater
Wish RAK Mentor
maddiesmom is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #323
Pearl-ExPert
 
SusieQ4417's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom View Post
Here is a link to Marianne's blog and her post about the certification classes. There is an outline of the day after the location information. http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...2008-2009.html

I'll be at the Anaheim class and am so excited! I attended a make and take with Marianne and Joy from Our Craft Lounge. Both ladies are so nice. I'll be bringing a few Our Craft Lounge images to practice on at the class as well as a few others. I would have loved to meet you there, but there is a class in Chino (still about 4 hours away from you) in April too.

Mary Jane
Chino is where my husband's job headquarters are. He's in banking and has to travel to Chino periodically. I will see if he happens to be going down there in April. Thanks for the info.
__________________
~Susan
He will cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you will find refuge. (Psalm 91:4)
SusieQ4417 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #324
Rubber Obsessor
 
gallcomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom View Post
You're assisting at Anaheim? I'll see you there!

Mary Jane
I won't be hard to miss. I think I'll be the only guy there ....
__________________
Member since December, 30 2008

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
gallcomp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #325
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,239
Default

Does anyone have recommendations for hair colors? What do you use? I'd like to be able to have at least one highlight color in the hair.
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #326
Rubber Obsessor
 
embellished's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Macungie, PA
Posts: 117
Default

I use the darker E colors and blend with some yellows or YRs.... for browns...more yellows for blonds
__________________
my blog
Wish RAK member, Card Angel for ChemoAngels
Nikki's Sketch Challenge group
embellished is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #327
Stampin' Fool
 
Nancy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,290
Default

I'm doing the Copic Certification on the 24th in Anaheim.... anyone else??? Am nervous!!!!
__________________
Cheers!
Nancy
Calgary AB
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Nancy1970 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #328
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by embellished View Post
I use the darker E colors and blend with some yellows or YRs.... for browns...more yellows for blonds
Thank you!
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #329
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Stampin Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buried under paper and embellishments
Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to Stampin Ninja
Default

I hope I'm not asking a question that's already been asked 100 times (I swear I browsed though this thread but it's SO l-o-n-g!!!) - for those of you that have and use your Copics often, which style do you prefer? My Mom bought me my first set for Christmas, a really basic color set, and they're the square ones (what do you call these one anyway? Original Copic? Standard?) but I was at a stamp store here in Sacramento, CA today and bought a few more and they ended up being the "Copic Sketch". Is one better than the other?

What about the Ciaos?

Does anyone think it's a big deal if I have some of one style and some of the other??? (I'm a little OCD about my stamping stuff so I'd like them to all be the same but don't have the money to "fix" my mismatch problem... )
And what about this whole idea of changing the "nibs" - If I like the brush nib better than the "small pointed nib" that comes on the square Copics can I change those out?

I'm still working on building my collection so I would love any advise anyone wants to offer... Anybody have a favorite color/color combo that they can't live without???

Thanks everyone and kuddos again to the mastermind who decided to start this thread!
__________________
Ink Softly, Crop Swiftly, Shop Stealthy, and Stamp Happy!
Stampin' Ninja
Stampin Ninja is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #330
Gallery Gazer
 
craftycrunchymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Procrastinationville
Posts: 6,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Ninja View Post
I hope I'm not asking a question that's already been asked 100 times (I swear I browsed though this thread but it's SO l-o-n-g!!!) - for those of you that have and use your Copics often, which style do you prefer? My Mom bought me my first set for Christmas, a really basic color set, and they're the square ones (what do you call these one anyway? Original Copic? Standard?) but I was at a stamp store here in Sacramento, CA today and bought a few more and they ended up being the "Copic Sketch". Is one better than the other?

What about the Ciaos?

Does anyone think it's a big deal if I have some of one style and some of the other??? (I'm a little OCD about my stamping stuff so I'd like them to all be the same but don't have the money to "fix" my mismatch problem... )
And what about this whole idea of changing the "nibs" - If I like the brush nib better than the "small pointed nib" that comes on the square Copics can I change those out?

I'm still working on building my collection so I would love any advise anyone wants to offer... Anybody have a favorite color/color combo that they can't live without???

Thanks everyone and kuddos again to the mastermind who decided to start this thread!
Wow, nobody's ever called me a mastermind before. LOL! I just saw a "need" to chat about my newest obsession. So glad to have everyone chit chat about Copics.

The only Copics I have ever used are the Sketch. I love the oval shaped barrel and I especially love the brush tip . I feel like I have more control of the marker. I'm a bit OCD myself but if I found some Ciaos for a great price I'd get them and mix them into my stash. I'm not sure about the Originals (the set you have) but I know the Sketch holds more ink than the Ciaos.
craftycrunchymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #331
Total Quack
 
Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: too busy to care right now
Posts: 96,757
Default

I have a mix of Ciao and Sketch. I'm happy with both - regardless of how CDO (OCD in proper, alphabetical order ...) about my supplies I am.
__________________
~~*Shell*~~
Shell's Stuff

Photography Site


Shell is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #332
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Stampin Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buried under paper and embellishments
Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to Stampin Ninja
Default

LOL! CDO - you're killin' me Shell!

I just read a blog, please don't ask me which one since I've been reading them all night - LOL! - of one of those professional stampers and she said that she had a mix of the original Copics and Sketch (just like me!) and that it worked for her. Apparently you can change the nibs out of the classics so I think I'll just do that...
__________________
Ink Softly, Crop Swiftly, Shop Stealthy, and Stamp Happy!
Stampin' Ninja
Stampin Ninja is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #333
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

I've got a couple of ?'s....
Can you use both sketch and ciao markers on the same image?
Do ciao markers come in the same colours as the sketch? Or are they completely different.
Is the colorless blender a must-have?
Do they run out quick?
TIA
xx
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo

Last edited by Lollies; 01-17-2009 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: More ?'s
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #334
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
melmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollies View Post
I've got a couple of ?'s....
Can you use both sketch and ciao markers on the same image?
Do ciao markers come in the same colours as the sketch? Or are they completely different.
Is the colorless blender a must-have?
TIA
xx
Yes, you can, they are both alcohol markers.
yes, Ciso come in all the smae colors as skecth, but the skecth have way more , not available as ciaos
yes, on the blender! you can blend, move color, eliminate booboos, make spots,etc
I have lots of tutorials with coloring tips for these on my blog
__________________
Melanie
Illustrator and Senior Designer for Gina K Designs/StampTV
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my books "A Year of Flowers" https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...631&cat_id=390
and "Fabulous Stamped Frames" https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...816&cat_id=329
melmel is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #335
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollies View Post
I've got a couple of ?'s....
Can you use both sketch and ciao markers on the same image?
Do ciao markers come in the same colours as the sketch? Or are they completely different.
Is the colorless blender a must-have?
TIA
xx
You Can use both Caio and Sketch on the same image. I do it all the time.

The INK is the same in BOTH types. For ex. i think it is R29 that is Lipstick Red. If it is Lipstick Red in the Sketch then it is the exact same ink in the Caio. The differences between the Caio and the Sketch are shape to the barrel, the Sketch holds more ink, the Caio has the little holes in the cap because it was really made for kids in Japan and the holes are supposed to help prevent choking, and the prices are different because the Sketch is more expensive. And there are MORE colors available in the Sketch. I think that covers it. Maybe I left a few out but someone else will fill in my blanks.
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #336
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

Thank You both! I think I will purchase most ciao and only get the sketch in the colours that are not available in ciao.
And I will buy the colourless blender
Thank You xx
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #337
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,371
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollies View Post
Thank You both! I think I will purchase most ciao and only get the sketch in the colours that are not available in ciao.
And I will buy the colourless blender
Thank You xx
You are welcome. And I forgot 1 very important thing. www.oozak.com seems to have the best prices and FREE shipping with a $50 order. The only drawback with them is because their prices are soooo great, they are frequently out of stock. However, they do get many shipments in and they ship really FAST! I just got my order yesterday (Friday) and I ordered them on Tuesday!

Sorry, I just saw that you are in Australia so I don't think oozak will be much help!
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #338
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
You are welcome. And I forgot 1 very important thing. www.oozak.com seems to have the best prices and FREE shipping with a $50 order. The only drawback with them is because their prices are soooo great, they are frequently out of stock. However, they do get many shipments in and they ship really FAST! I just got my order yesterday (Friday) and I ordered them on Tuesday!

Sorry, I just saw that you are in Australia so I don't think oozak will be much help!
Yeh I looked at Oozak and the shipping was $45!!! lol xx
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #339
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Stampin Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buried under paper and embellishments
Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to Stampin Ninja
Default

O.k. - I am sad... I bought some more Copics today to add to my very basic beginner set and I was all excited to get them home and practice... But NOTHING went right! I thought I understood that Stazon brand ink was supposed to be what you should use so that the image doesn't smear or bleed... but it did both! My "skin color" has black streaks through it and the pink and black made this muddy color... SO not cute!

And, on top of that, I can't get the Stazon off my brand new "My Favorite Things - Bunny Slippers" stamp!!! It's the first time I've used it and now I think I've stained it for good! I could cry!

Is anyone still awake??? I need some reassurance here... Did I used the wrong ink? What should I use instead of Stazon since that's clearly not working? And how do I get the Stazon off my new, clear stamp???

All of your advice is welcomed and appreciated! Thank you in advance!
__________________
Ink Softly, Crop Swiftly, Shop Stealthy, and Stamp Happy!
Stampin' Ninja

Last edited by Stampin Ninja; 01-17-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Spacing was off
Stampin Ninja is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #340
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

OK now I don't own Stazon or Copics, but have been researching them for the last couple of days.
I am pretty sure you are not supposed to use Stazon with copics. Here is a link showing a range of inks with copics.
http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/Ellen...--which-I.HTML
I don't use Stazon as I am worried that I will stain my stamps. But I am pretty sure the only thing to get Stazon off is Stazon Cleaner.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am so sorry you are having trouble.
Lauren xx
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #341
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Stampin Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buried under paper and embellishments
Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to Stampin Ninja
Default

Oh no! I was afraid of this! There is no way that anyone is open at 11:00pm (I'm in California) that sells Stazon cleaner! I hope I won't completely ruin my stamp if I have to wait until tomorrow to get the ink off of it...

Thank you for your input Lauren... I really appreciate it! What time is it in Australia???

I really thought I had done enough research. It seemed like Stazon was the good choice...
__________________
Ink Softly, Crop Swiftly, Shop Stealthy, and Stamp Happy!
Stampin' Ninja
Stampin Ninja is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #342
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Ninja View Post
O.k. - I am sad... I bought some more Copics today to add to my very basic beginner set and I was all excited to get them home and practice... But NOTHING went right! I thought I understood that Stazon brand ink was supposed to be what you should use so that the image doesn't smear or bleed... but it did both! My "skin color" has black streaks through it and the pink and black made this muddy color... SO not cute!

And, on top of that, I can't get the Stazon off my brand new "My Favorite Things - Bunny Slippers" stamp!!! It's the first time I've used it and now I think I've stained it for good! I could cry!

Is anyone still awake??? I need some reassurance here... Did I used the wrong ink? What should I use instead of Stazon since that's clearly not working? And how do I get the Stazon off my new, clear stamp???

All of your advice is welcomed and appreciated! Thank you in advance!
I'm awake! Just read your S.O.S.! LOL! Calm down and relax! StazOn is not good for copics, as you just found out. I found out the same way. Use Memento, Adirondack Pitch Black, Brilliance or if you want to emboss, use VersaFine Onyx Black and emboss with DETAIL CLEAR. Never emboss with a embossing powder that is metallic, like gold because it reacts with the copic and gets "eaten away."

You might want to just heat set those other inks just to be sure. I use Memento Tuxedo Black and have never had to heat set it.

Now for the CLEAR stamp. It is safe to use Ultra Clean cleaner on clear and rubber stamps. I heard to NEVER use StazON cleaner on clear stamps though.

Try a baby wipe if you have it. If you don't have the wipe, try stamping off the ink as much as possible on a paper towel. Then try rinsing the stamp under warm water. PLEASE PLUG THE DRAIN!!! It is possible to loose the stamps forever. If you want to, you can wash the stamp with some gentle soap, like the liquid kind or face soap. Rinse the soap off and pat dry.

Do you have any stamp cleaner? If so, read to see if it is safe for clear stamps.

Clear stamps DO STAIN. You might just be left with a stain and not really INK. If you try stamping it (without putting on more ink, of course) and you do not see any marks on the paper, it is stained. Think of it as a sign of a well loved stamp.

Hope this helps. By the way, Ultra Clean is good for both rubber and clear stamps. It conditions as well as cleans.
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #343
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Stampin Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buried under paper and embellishments
Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to Stampin Ninja
Default

Thank you Kitty! These are all great ideas...

I didn't know that I picked the ONE ink that doesn't work with Copics - LOL that's so me to do something like that. I appreciate all of your insight on inks and the added info you gave about ink for embossing... I need to save your response somewhere for future reference.

So I used a baby wipe when it was first happening (about two hours ago) and nothing came off. I did run it under water and soap it up (I'm SO glad to hear that it's safe to do that - just as I placed the stamp under the running water I thought, "Oh god, I hope this doesn't make it worse!") but I think it really is stained... I tried stamping it on paper without adding more ink and nothing came off so I guess I'm safe in that sense...

Now I just have to get over the whole idea of all my stamps staying "clean" - it's the whole OCD issue again....

Where do you buy Ultra Clean? It sounds like the miracle cleaner...

Thank you again for your help - I think I'm going to try and get some sleep now (while being tortured by dreams of "stained stamps")
__________________
Ink Softly, Crop Swiftly, Shop Stealthy, and Stamp Happy!
Stampin' Ninja
Stampin Ninja is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #344
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Ninja View Post
What time is it in Australia???
Right now its 7:30pm and its Sunday.
xxx
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #345
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,739
Default

You can buy ultra clean from http://www.ginakdesigns.com
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #346
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Ninja View Post
O.k. - I am sad... I bought some more Copics today to add to my very basic beginner set and I was all excited to get them home and practice... But NOTHING went right! I thought I understood that Stazon brand ink was supposed to be what you should use so that the image doesn't smear or bleed... but it did both! My "skin color" has black streaks through it and the pink and black made this muddy color... SO not cute!

And, on top of that, I can't get the Stazon off my brand new "My Favorite Things - Bunny Slippers" stamp!!! It's the first time I've used it and now I think I've stained it for good! I could cry!

Is anyone still awake??? I need some reassurance here... Did I used the wrong ink? What should I use instead of Stazon since that's clearly not working? And how do I get the Stazon off my new, clear stamp???

All of your advice is welcomed and appreciated! Thank you in advance!
I got my Copics about 6 weeks ago (in stages) and have been enjoying. However, like you, my initial choices in inks/papers werent great and I got lots of streaking/ink bleed. If you havent found Marianne's "I like Markers" blog - it's awesome (http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/). She's posted some links to video tutorials. I watched a few on You Tube (posted one or two a couple pages back) and helped a lot for technique. On Marianne's blog - go back to her first /second month and she does an analysis of ink/papers to use with Copics. As others have said Brilliance and Memento are good choices along with a few others. Paper is important too, since alcohol markers soak into the paper. Papertrey has been one I've seen recommended along with the Walmart heavier wt paper. I recently got some Gina K (120 lb) and it's gorgeous paper, but think my technique (stamping wise) is off cause I either seem to get too much stamp ink laid down and get some residual splatters as I come up with it, or not enough and my image is uneven. Need to practice today. I suspect it's me and just not being used to the heavier paper.

Re: the MFT stamps. I have used with black SU ink before I got Copics and was not able to get the ink off. With Brown ink, for whatever reason - it came off great. I used baby wipes, stamp cleaner and soap and water immediately and nothing doing with the black. I'll have to try with the Memento/Brilliance ink to see if it comes off... I suspect with clear stamps tho.. some are going to stain. Some folks suggest using a pencil eraser to "condition" a new stamp for a cleaner image, altho I asked in the MFT thread and most said they didnt need to do that for a good image. But wonder if it might help prevent staining?Ahhhhh, so many things to learn! Have fun.. Oh where in Sacto are you getting your Copics? We dont have any stores around us, and may have dh pick some up when he goes thru there on business. Thanks!

Leigh
crazed is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #347
First To Quack
 
Beachbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: finally in Florida!
Posts: 50,204
Default

I have a question about E41.....is it really white and do I need it? Right now I use my prisma pencil to add a highlight white dot onto my Tildas cheeks. Would this marker do that?
__________________
.* .*)) -::-
((.*~Dody.*))
-::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...


Cards from the Cabana
Beachbound is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #348
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 337
Default

No, E41 is not really white. It is, however, one of the colors suggested for a stamped moon (thanks to Marianne!). So, no, I wouldn't use it for Tilda's cheek highlight dot...has a beige cast.

Molly
MollyStamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #349
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,371
Default

I would try a white gel pen. I have seen a lot of people use it one their blogs when they do Tilda's cheeks and other areas they want to highlight.
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #350
First To Quack
 
Beachbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: finally in Florida!
Posts: 50,204
Default

thanks, that makes perfect sense to me. I just couldn't see why such a high number could be white. I guess I figured a white would be a 000.
__________________
.* .*)) -::-
((.*~Dody.*))
-::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...


Cards from the Cabana
Beachbound is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #351
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Stampin Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buried under paper and embellishments
Posts: 715
Send a message via MSN to Stampin Ninja
Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
I got my Copics about 6 weeks ago (in stages) and have been enjoying. However, like you, my initial choices in inks/papers werent great and I got lots of streaking/ink bleed. If you havent found Marianne's "I like Markers" blog - it's awesome (http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/). She's posted some links to video tutorials. I watched a few on You Tube (posted one or two a couple pages back) and helped a lot for technique. On Marianne's blog - go back to her first /second month and she does an analysis of ink/papers to use with Copics. As others have said Brilliance and Memento are good choices along with a few others. Paper is important too, since alcohol markers soak into the paper. Papertrey has been one I've seen recommended along with the Walmart heavier wt paper. I recently got some Gina K (120 lb) and it's gorgeous paper, but think my technique (stamping wise) is off cause I either seem to get too much stamp ink laid down and get some residual splatters as I come up with it, or not enough and my image is uneven. Need to practice today. I suspect it's me and just not being used to the heavier paper.

Re: the MFT stamps. I have used with black SU ink before I got Copics and was not able to get the ink off. With Brown ink, for whatever reason - it came off great. I used baby wipes, stamp cleaner and soap and water immediately and nothing doing with the black. I'll have to try with the Memento/Brilliance ink to see if it comes off... I suspect with clear stamps tho.. some are going to stain. Some folks suggest using a pencil eraser to "condition" a new stamp for a cleaner image, altho I asked in the MFT thread and most said they didnt need to do that for a good image. But wonder if it might help prevent staining?Ahhhhh, so many things to learn! Have fun.. Oh where in Sacto are you getting your Copics? We dont have any stores around us, and may have dh pick some up when he goes thru there on business. Thanks!

Leigh
Leigh,

Thank you so much for your detailed response - it has been a dream come true having Splitcoast forums as a reference. I can't get over how genuinely nice and concerned that everyone is! Wow - now if only the world could learn a little something from Splitcoast, huh?

I found my Copic Sketches at The Stamp Art Shoppe, Inc. which is located on 1000 Sunrise Ave, Suite 14A (it's a strip mall and the store in located in a corner, almost hidden) Roseville, CA 95661. Their phone number is 916-773-4378. Apparently they JUST started selling them and so they offer quite a few colors but nowhere near all of them. They sell their Copics for around $6.00 each so they aren't cheap but it's nice to know that if I need one RIGHT NOW that there's a store in town. It's a nice little store but again, they are far from a deal so I don't think I'll be visiting them often.

I plan on buying a new black stamp pad (probably either Memento or Brilliance based on the advise I've gotten from everyone) and I'm definitely going to be buying some Ultra Clean!

Thank you again!
__________________
Ink Softly, Crop Swiftly, Shop Stealthy, and Stamp Happy!
Stampin' Ninja
Stampin Ninja is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #352
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Default

What do you all use for white? I was just coloring in a penguin and ended up using the very lightest grey (dirty fur ) but dont like. Also would have liked to have something very light for highlights on a fairy's wings. Thoughts? Gonna order a few more pens later today hopefully!

Leigh
crazed is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #353
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 82
Default

Thanks for the info on the store! That's great to know! I wanted to share that I did just stamp some Inkadinko clear images with both Briliance and Memento and both wiped immediately clean. It maybe that certain types of inks just dont clean up as well? Or a combo of both ink/stamp? I wonder. I'll have to try another MFT stamp in near future and see if it cleans as long as I use that ink! AND a resounding yes.. everyone is so nice and active here. Only problem is I could sit here and chat/shop, rather than actually getting some stuff made !! Keep us posted on your success!

Leigh
crazed is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #354
Pearl-ExPert
 
SusieQ4417's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,243
Default

I only used versafine (before copics) and most of my clear stamps are stained but they still work so it doesn't bother me.
__________________
~Susan
He will cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you will find refuge. (Psalm 91:4)
SusieQ4417 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #355
Polyshrink Goddess
 
FRANCESKIDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: H20 town
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
I can't see that storing them vertical would hurt anything considering Copic sells the sets IN VERTICAL STORAGE. They have more and have had them longer than any of us, so I trust their advice which states that it doesn't matter which way you store them.
I will say that I had my copics stored in the same container with my SU markers which are stored horizontally and noticed that a few had started to dry out. I would recommend that anyone store them vertically. Not sure why they dry out when kept horizontally.
FRANCESKIDS is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #356
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

I'm confused .... do I store my Copics vertical or horizontal, when I get them?? I don't want mine drying out. xx
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #357
Stampin' Fool
 
kitty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,371
Default

They say it does not matter how we store them.
kitty14 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #358
Insane Embellisher
 
Lollies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Default

Thanks
__________________
My Gallery
Lauren xoxo
Lollies is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #359
Mad Swapper
 
craftyteaspoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bears country
Posts: 1,945
Wink check the I Like Markers blog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
What do you all use for white? I was just coloring in a penguin and ended up using the very lightest grey (dirty fur ) but dont like. Also would have liked to have something very light for highlights on a fairy's wings. Thoughts? Gonna order a few more pens later today hopefully!

Leigh
Check out Marianne Walkers blog http://www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com and you will find the answer. Look at Oct. 2008 for "coloring snowmen" which might help.

Anytime you wonder about how to do anything with Copics check her blogs first because 9 times out of 10 it is there and perfectly explained.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
craftyteaspoon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #360
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Phantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,606
Default

I've only just discovered this thread and started reading some of the entries. I'm a little curious if almost everyone uses only one technique with their Copics. You know, the very methodical shading and blending. It's fun and I love how it turns out, but I've also started to use mine in a looser style. Because of the vibrant yet transparent quality of the Copics, you can achieve more of a watercolor effect. Just thought I'd put that "out there" .

I've attached a couple of examples so you know what I mean. I'd love to see if others are doing this, too!!

[And sorry in advance if it's already been covered ~ like I said, I just found this thread and have to run so can't read the whole thing right now.]
__________________
Nancy
My SCS Gallery
Shady Tree Studio, LLC, featuring
artwork designed for
Inky Antics

Last edited by Phantom; 04-06-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Phantom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off