Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #281
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Just a little info here that might help some people. If you have VersaFine ink, you can stamp the image and emboss with DETAIL CLEAR EP and use Copics. Do not use any metallic EP because the alcohol in the Copics "eats away at the EP.

Only the CLEAR EP will work.

VersaFine comes in several colors, but their black one is called Onyx Black. Most people seem to stamp in black, that's why I mention the name.

Hope this helps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #282
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Benko View Post
Darn I have read this forum over twice and I know somewhere was a chart comparing copics to SU. Can someone help me out.
Thanks
Kathy
It's here just scroll look at the 2nd post.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #283
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ4417 View Post
Yes, I am starting with a grass color, but I don't have many colors and I don't know what light colors I would use. Don't have a very "light" green.
What you can try if you do not have a light green or light YG to use as a base is swiping your green onto your colorless blender (or maybe some sort of light yellow?) and using that, and then adding green from your green marker and blending with your blender pen again as necessary. You can swipe the blender on scratch paper, and it will be fine. This is very helpful in terms of blending and making your colors go farther. You can also use the green you have, if it's not too dark, and then add shadows with the same marker. The second coat will give you the equivalent of the next marker in the family. You could also use a Copic-safe black pen to doodle your grass tufts and then go over them with your green and add a second coat as needed, to use a single color. The doodled base will give you nice definition. I'm sure others are far more sophisticated than I am for this, but those are my thoughts for what they're worth!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #284
Stazon Splitcoast

According to the booklet I receive from COPIC 'Stamping With Copic'
these are the inks they recommend as being compatable with thier markers

-Brilliance
-Memento
-Versafine
-Ranger Adirondack
-Ranger Nick bantock
-Memories

Solvent inks like Staz-On are NOT compatable. When I stamp wish raks that say COPIC ink I always use Verafine or Brilliance.
My opinion - Brilliance and RANGER inks are the BEST for copics. I have the no bleeding with them.
Versafine I have a little bit if the ink is really wet over the image.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #285
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp

Just thought I would let you who are starting out with copics know that I added to my blog...a post on which copics to start with (Thanks to another SCSer who actually asked for my non-professional advice...LOL)...if any of you are interested as well:

http://papercanoes.blogspot.com/2009...th-copics.html
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #286
Matboard Maniac

Cher - I've just visited your blog - and yes, you've got a great list of starter colors! I believe I have all of those except for the Neutral Grays. I don't know why I've avoided them. I'm sort of addicted to the Warm Grays and I have 3 of the Toner Grays. Do I really need the Neutrals?

I love coming to this thread - learning a lot!

Molly
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #287
Glitter Queen

I just found this thread and it must be fate! I was just in my craft room struggling over a card I'm making for my group meeting. I was trying to faintly airbrush the background of the main image and I'm failing horribly! I checked it out on the "I Like Markers" blog and she makes it look so easy! Mine is either coming out too dark or (most of the time) not getting any color at all. I thought my can or air was empty (it still shakes) so I tried a new one. Same thing? Am I air-brush challenged? Not meant to brush? Not fated to gracefully blend? Is there anyone else out there who's having this problem or am I the only one in the universe who can't seem to use the COPIC brushing system? Help?

On another note, I just polished off the Dick Blick gift certificate I received from my son for Christmas... and didn't know about the coupons. I did, however, get free shipping. I've also ordered from Carpe Diem and have had good customer service from both. I will, however, be looking at oozak for the next order... it's an addiction... not my fault... illness, you know. (My husband isn't buying it, either.)

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and ideas.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #288
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyStamps View Post
Cher - I've just visited your blog - and yes, you've got a great list of starter colors! I believe I have all of those except for the Neutral Grays. I don't know why I've avoided them. I'm sort of addicted to the Warm Grays and I have 3 of the Toner Grays. Do I really need the Neutrals?

I love coming to this thread - learning a lot!

Molly
I am glad to see that someone agrees on the colors I listed! And no...I don't think you need the Neutrals...those are just my choice for blacks and grays, however I have only one Toner gray which was an accident...so maybe they are somewhat interchageable?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #289
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvstampin View Post

-Brilliance
-Memento
-Versafine
-Ranger Adirondack
-Ranger Nick bantock
-Memories
THanks for this. Would love to see the booklet! So what did it suggest for paper? I know Papertrey is good, but went with Gina K. I just was playing around some more with my Making Memories smooth white cardstock and SU black ink and got bleeding EVERYWHERE... I've got Memento ink on the way....

Leigh
Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #290
Inking Addict

FOR all you Copice NEWBIES like me... there are some really good tutorials on you tube where you can really see what's happening.I just watched this one and it helped me a lot. Need to finish Marianne's blog and watch a few more of these. But it was sooo helpful to actually see this stuff (Marianne any chance you could do a few?? Altho just went over your blending tutorial - to fade to white and *think* I kind of get it now!)..

Here's link to You Tube I just watched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bd1yWPDMsY&NR=1

She shows a bit about outlining, shading etc.. and uses a fun MFT stamp while doing so (as well as some cute sheep stamps). I was surprised how quickly she went over colors and her stamp ink which really tells me I'm using a horrible combo!
Leigh
Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #291
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
THanks for this. Would love to see the booklet!

Leigh

On the Copic website, http://www.copicmarker.com/ , go to the library section and download the stamping with Copics booklet.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #292
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, I have read lots of stuff on here and have quite a few copics.. For people that are ordering and are fairly new, try this.. get the a low and high #s in the same color family... for example, for skin tones a great combo I use for skin sometimes is E00 and E13, then I may add shadows of E39 under chin if I want to be fancy, but I don't blend on the paper. I use an acrylic block as a pallette. I make a small dab of the darker color on my pallette and use the lighter color and pick up just some of it on my brush tip. I color in small circles and pick up ink until I have what I like... It's not exactly a science... Check out my blog for actual portraits I have done using these.. www.createwithnikki.blogspot.com
Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #293
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

-Brilliance
-Memento
-Versafine
-Ranger Adirondack
-Ranger Nick bantock
-Memories

Solvent inks like Staz-On are NOT compatable. When I stamp wish raks that say COPIC ink I always use Verafine or Brilliance.
My opinion - Brilliance and RANGER inks are the BEST for copics. I have the no bleeding with them.
Versafine I have a little bit if the ink is really wet over the image.
It's nice to know that versafine works because I have that too, but it is not an acceptable ink for copics for wish-rak. They allow Adirondack Pitch Black, Brilliance Graphite Black ((heat set)) and Memento Tuxedo Black only. That's why I went ahead and bought the Momento.

This thread has been so informative to me. I love all the info and tips from everyone! Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #294
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
Just thought I would let you who are starting out with copics know that I added to my blog...a post on which copics to start with (Thanks to another SCSer who actually asked for my non-professional advice...LOL)...if any of you are interested as well:

http://papercanoes.blogspot.com/2009...th-copics.html
Read your blog. Great info. Is glossy accents like crystal effects. I love the house you did. It's fabulous! I like the colors you chose. I actually have a few of them in my measly assortment.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #295
Watercolor Wizard

Ooh thanks for the green recommendations, I'll check them out!

And gosh Marianne, we ask for the moon, and Marianne lassos the moon!
I need to visit your blog more now that I have added to my Copic collection!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #296
Kookie Creator

OK, I just got back to this thread after a long weekend of coloring for Our Craft Lounge. Someone asked about coloring the elephant, Pea-Nut (I have always had a soft-spot for elephants and we won't even go into my elephant shaped baby blanket that was loved to death).

I start with a C1, add deeper shadows of a C3 to C5, and even tone in some BV31 or BV20 to add the purplish cast that compliments the pink ears/feet. However, the elephant looks great colored in ANY of the gray tones. Real elephants are more of a W,or T (toner is half-way between warm and Neutral). If I were coloring him in warmer tones then I would deepen the shadows with probably an E40 or E31 or something else pale brown to add a hint of brown. To fade it out to the white of the paper I colored back with the blender in the opposite direction to fade/push the grays back into the shadows and wrinkles. This makes it look even more naturally wrinkled. add the pale pink last over the grays.

HTH!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #297
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmartaa View Post
I just found this thread and it must be fate! I was just in my craft room struggling over a card I'm making for my group meeting. I was trying to faintly airbrush the background of the main image and I'm failing horribly! I checked it out on the "I Like Markers" blog and she makes it look so easy! Mine is either coming out too dark or (most of the time) not getting any color at all. I thought my can or air was empty (it still shakes) so I tried a new one. Same thing? Am I air-brush challenged? Not meant to brush? Not fated to gracefully blend? Is there anyone else out there who's having this problem or am I the only one in the universe who can't seem to use the COPIC brushing system? Help?
OK, you need to read over this troubleshooting post I made on airbrushing. It sounds like your marker nib is the culprit this time.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...art-5-faq.html
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #298
Kookie Creator

Or, just slow down in your spraying. that also might help.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #299
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
FOR all you Copic NEWBIES like me... there are some really good tutorials on you tube where you can really see what's happening.I just watched this one and it helped me a lot. Need to finish Marianne's blog and watch a few more of these. But it was sooo helpful to actually see this stuff (Marianne any chance you could do a few??
I need to sleep sometime, so no I probably won't do any video tutorials. If any of you have bought the Sketch DVD that's my hands doing most of it. It's really beginner though, and better dvds are on their way in 2009...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #300
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
Just a little info here that might help some people. If you have VersaFine ink, you can stamp the image and emboss with DETAIL CLEAR EP and use Copics. Do not use any metallic EP because the alcohol in the Copics "eats away at the EP.

VersaFine comes in several colors, but their black one is called Onyx Black. Most people seem to stamp in black, that's why I mention the name.

Hope this helps!
I heat set my versifine and it seems to do OK.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #301
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama View Post
I would use Memento Markers because it's the same ink as the Memento pads and they don't bleed with Copics.
I use copic multiliners...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #302
Pearl-ExPert

I've used the zig multi-liner and it doesn't bleed either.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #303
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It's nice to know that versafine works because I have that too, but it is not an acceptable ink for copics for wish-rak. They allow Adirondack Pitch Black, Brilliance Graphite Black ((heat set)) and Memento Tuxedo Black only. That's why I went ahead and bought the Momento.

This thread has been so informative to me. I love all the info and tips from everyone! Keep 'em coming!
I ask the person before stamping. If they say yes then I grant them. I also have Brilliance and some do chose the Versfine over any others.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #304
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Read your blog. Great info. Is glossy accents like crystal effects. I love the house you did. It's fabulous! I like the colors you chose. I actually have a few of them in my measly assortment.
Thanks!

And yep...Glossy Accents is the same as Crystal Effects...just easier to find...and cheaper...LOL
Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #305
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I ask the person before stamping. If they say yes then I grant them. I also have Brilliance and some do chose the Versfine over any others.
That's great. I have images that I've received in wishrak that I just asked for "black" and some of them are working for the copics, so that must be why. Nice to know!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #306
Die Cut Diva

Susan - are you available on January 23rd? Marianne is having a Copic Certification class in Anaheim.
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #307
Inking Addict

Hi,
Please can anyone tell me are Ciao nibs changeable as i would love to change the Chisel for a different type.Thanks Denise x
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #308
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post

Hope this helps!
This thread has helped me a ton. Thanks. I'm a newbie at much including embossing. So today I picked up some of the black onyx versafine and got home, read back of package, and it didnt say anything about embossing/but that it was super quick drying. So I immediately thought I'd once again bought the wrong thing (my clear versamark pad is "versamark" .. so again thought I'd messed up). SOOO I can emboss with the versafine black onyx pad and clear EP? Sorry siuch basic Q's.. thanks!

Leigh
Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #309
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsweeney View Post
Hi,
Please can anyone tell me are Ciao nibs changeable as i would love to change the Chisel for a different type.Thanks Denise x
Yes, the Ciao has at least three styles of nibs that you can use.

http://www.copicmarker.com/nibs_ciao.html

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #310
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsweeney View Post
Hi,
They are-you can use the larger round nib but not the fine point nib.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #311
Stampin' Fool

subscribing becuase I am totally hooked on copics!!! I am afraid to count them all but DH supports my habit.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #312
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiesmom View Post
Susan - are you available on January 23rd? Marianne is having a Copic Certification class in Anaheim.
Actually, Anaheim is about 4 hours away and I would love to go down, but that is the weekend we are having a family reunion in the Pismo Beach area. If something changes for some reason, I'll definately look into it. Otherwise, maybe another time. Are the certification classes basically teaching you how to use copics?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #313
Inking Addict

Hi,
Thanks so much for the replies , thats great news . denise x
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #314
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I know I'm not Susan, but I will assist to the certification class on the 23rd. That was the more convenient place and date for me, since I live in anaheim...

Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #315
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Actually, Anaheim is about 4 hours away and I would love to go down, but that is the weekend we are having a family reunion in the Pismo Beach area. If something changes for some reason, I'll definately look into it. Otherwise, maybe another time. Are the certification classes basically teaching you how to use copics?
Here is a link to Marianne's blog and her post about the certification classes. There is an outline of the day after the location information. http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...2008-2009.html

I'll be at the Anaheim class and am so excited! I attended a make and take with Marianne and Joy from Our Craft Lounge. Both ladies are so nice. I'll be bringing a few Our Craft Lounge images to practice on at the class as well as a few others. I would have loved to meet you there, but there is a class in Chino (still about 4 hours away from you) in April too.

Mary Jane
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #316
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallcomp View Post
I know I'm not Susan, but I will assist to the certification class on the 23rd. That was the more convenient place and date for me, since I live in anaheim...
You're assisting at Anaheim? I'll see you there!

Mary Jane
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #317
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Here is a link to Marianne's blog and her post about the certification classes. There is an outline of the day after the location information. http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...2008-2009.html

I'll be at the Anaheim class and am so excited! I attended a make and take with Marianne and Joy from Our Craft Lounge. Both ladies are so nice. I'll be bringing a few Our Craft Lounge images to practice on at the class as well as a few others. I would have loved to meet you there, but there is a class in Chino (still about 4 hours away from you) in April too.

Mary Jane
Chino is where my husband's job headquarters are. He's in banking and has to travel to Chino periodically. I will see if he happens to be going down there in April. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #318
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
You're assisting at Anaheim? I'll see you there!

Mary Jane
I won't be hard to miss. I think I'll be the only guy there ....

Old 01-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #319
Gallery Gazer

Does anyone have recommendations for hair colors? What do you use? I'd like to be able to have at least one highlight color in the hair.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #320
Rubber Obsessor

I use the darker E colors and blend with some yellows or YRs.... for browns...more yellows for blonds