Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #241
Pearl-ExPert

On the jelly roll pens, I have a few but can't get them to work. I can see the ink in the tube, but it's like it's all dried up. Any suggestions. Also, I need a good "white" pen to add highlights. What would I use?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #242
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikemarkers View Post
You guys are too kind As soon as she said "moon" I drew one here at my desk. I wasn't going to post it, but you sweet-talked me into it. Sorry if the colors are off
Wow!! Wish I had just a little drop of your artistic talent!! I'm in awe.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #243
Inking Addict

Quote:
You guys are too kind As soon as she said "moon" I drew one here at my desk. I wasn't going to post it, but you sweet-talked me into it. Sorry if the colors are off
Ohhhh how I'd love to be artistic (ok I've read your recent posts and know somewhere I've got something kind of artistic going but... )

You are awesome and love your website. Thanks for all the great info! Great moon!

Leigh
Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #244
Total Quack

Hi there! Beachbound just showed me the way to this thread, so here I am. I recognize a few names on here from a few other threads I'm on ... Gale, Sandy.......

I am addicted to Copics. There, I've said it. Admitting it is the first step to recovery, right?? Ok ... forget it. I don't WANT to recover ......

I have 70+ Copics - a mix of Ciao and Sketch. I'm quite happy with all of them. I've even gotten my 12 year old son addicted.

I'm on here to get info and tips. I can sure use them.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #245
Kookie Creator

Copic addiction is a serious problem they need to come with a warning label:

Caution: However many Copic markers you have are still not enough. They are highly addictive and will make you feel creatively better each time you use them. Do not color on an empty stomach (it jiggles too much and will be hard to color). Take with a glass of water (anything stronger will keep you awake and coloring longer).

Consult your LSS if you notice any of the following symptoms: Desire for more colors. Dryness of marker. Need for more stamps to color. Friends to tell about your addiction. Loss of appetite or sleep due to excessive coloring.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #246
Matboard Maniac

Interesting side note: Did you know that the price of the Copic Ciao markers (from oozak.com) work out to the same price per marker as the SU markers? Tis true. A set of 72 Ciao markers from oozak.com is $190 with free shipping. The SU set of 48 is $126, plus shipping and tax. Which actually makes them a bit more expensive per marker. Just a thought, for those of you trying to justify purchasing Copics. I'm not sure of the price-per-marker for the Copic Originals or Sketch markers--is probably a bit higher but still, to discover the prices were so close was a pleasant surprise. Now that people are starting to discover Copic colors that are close matches to the SU colors, it makes even more sense to switch. Hope I've enabled someone today!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #247
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Caution: However many Copic markers you have are still not enough. They are highly addictive and will make you feel creatively better each time you use them. Do not color on an empty stomach (it jiggles too much and will be hard to color). Take with a glass of water (anything stronger will keep you awake and coloring longer).

Consult your LSS if you notice any of the following symptoms: Desire for more colors. Dryness of marker. Need for more stamps to color. Friends to tell about your addiction. Loss of appetite or sleep due to excessive coloring.
BWhahahahahahahahahh!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 AM   #248
Forum Fanatic

My very first order (from carpedium ) came yesterday. I'll be messing around with them today after I get some errands and chores done. Can't wait!

(I'm on a slippery slope, aren't I? Gina K's is right in my backyard... LOL!)

Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #249
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ4417 View Post
On the jelly roll pens, I have a few but can't get them to work. I can see the ink in the tube, but it's like it's all dried up. Any suggestions. Also, I need a good "white" pen to add highlights. What would I use?
Haven't had any trouble with ink drying up and some I've had for years.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #250
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdislandgirl View Post
... it makes even more sense to switch.
Did you say SWITCH?? Does anyone on SCS ever actually SWITCH anything?? Haha...I have to have both! I only use my SU markers for coloring portions of stamps...but I need them all! LOL

What is the price on Ciao now? They were $2.63 each at Oozak...and Sketch were $3.90 (compared to SU with WI Tax and Shipping those were only 13 cents more for me).

I thought I would have all the Copics I needed when I was at about 75 - if I only ordered a half-dozen more.

Haha...that was a joke...LOL...I am now over 150, still finding *just a half-dozen more* I would like!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #251
First To Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
I feel like we have our own personal Copic consultant with Marianne on here...LOL

Marianne....I hope you know that you are very appreciated!
Personally I am thrilled to read all of Marianne's insights. I am trying to read her entire Blog because it is full of great information. I love that she is teaching ART as well as how to use the copics.

Thanks, Marianne!!!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #252
First To Quack

Quote:

ROTF!!!! You described me perfectly!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #253
Total Quack

Quote:

ROTFL!!!

Yeah ... problem here .... NO LSS in my neck of the woods.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #254
First To Quack

We'll need to meet half way at Dick Blick's in Roswell.....

Marianne; think Atlanta for one of your classes!!!! North side, by the Mall of Ga.! and don't listen to Shell when she says south side! LOL!!!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #255
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
We'll need to meet half way at Dick Blick's in Roswell.....

Marianne; think Atlanta for one of your classes!!!! North side, by the Mall of Ga.! and don't listen to Shell when she says south side! LOL!!!

Yes, that would be good.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! WEST side. Please!!! Those of us on this side of town need a LOT more help than those on the other side. My closest LSS is an hour away (but I'd go there for Marianne's class!!!!!!!).

Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #256
First To Quack

Bahahahaha!
I've been trying to get Shell up my way for 3 years now. Just crunch the numbers & pick where the most action is.....and if you need any help on site after you pick Gwinnett County, just let me know!

Shell, you can stay at my house if ya want.

Cards from the Cabana
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #257
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Bahahahaha!
I've been trying to get Shell up my way for 3 years now. Just crunch the numbers & pick where the most action is.....and if you need any help on site after you pick Gwinnett County, just let me know!

Shell, you can stay at my house if ya want.

LOL!!! Get Marianne over that way, and you have a deal!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #258
First To Quack

love ya, Shell!

and now back to your regularly scheduled chat!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 01-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #259
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
Yes, that would be good.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! WEST side. Please!!! Those of us on this side of town need a LOT more help than those on the other side. My closest LSS is an hour away (but I'd go there for Marianne's class!!!!!!!).
You guys are killing me! If she was in the next STATE, I'd go... certainly any of you can drive across town... and don't use the "it's a BIG city" argument, I live in Wisconsin (which is a bit of a hike to anywhere in Georgia).
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #260
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
For the stardust pens, you can heat the tip a bit with your heat gun (and moisten it a bit as well). That helped me when they had been in storage for a while...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #261
Inking Addict

Ok so been playing during little one's nap and I'm having same Q (above) re: shading/blending and have been reading Marianne's blog but not all way thru yet. I was playing with the cute elephant from Craft Lounge which in their pic is colored in grey/light purple ones. My main Q.. when something feathers out to almost whitish - is it truly? or just a lighter color underneath? I have about 100 markers but this was prob the wrong example to play with cause my selection of purples/greys is not great.

This is the set I'm referring to:

http://www.ourcraftlounge.net/Crafty...a-Nut_p_4.html

and many of the items/examples on their home page feature really great background blending. As it turned out, I used the wrong paper (ink too but was hoping it would work). and combo of both, caused bleeding when I used the colorless blender (sigh... cause I was still gonna use it even if I wasnt thrilled with results.. itching to make a card!). Any thoughts much appreciated. I will try using just one color as you suggested Cher. Thanks so much.. Lovin' this thread!

Leigh
Old 01-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #262
Inking Addict

And one more Q, now that I'd like to fill in some of those colors I'm missing. We dont really need to buy every color right? We could buy every few and then just go over a few times to get a darker effect right? And Cher, thanks so much for sharing the link to that chart. It helps a ton. As it is, I inadvertently ordered 5 that are dups and need to either sell or return. So this will be great when ordering in future.. Thanks again
Leigh
Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #263
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to gizmonl66
Default Need Advice...

Hi,
I'm not sure if this has been asked already. I am a Copic Virgin...I see that images are outlined outside the blackline which really looks nice...can anyone tell me which Copic this is? I really like the effect and would like to try it but I can't find it on any blogs...maybe it's one of those questions that everybody already knows...sorry I have no clue about these...love the effect but I want to start with this...

Thanks Gals

My SCS Gallery
Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #264
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmonl66 View Post
I see that images are outlined outside the blackline which really looks nice...can anyone tell me which Copic this is?
The one I use the most often for this is N0 (neutral gray, very light so no fussing about blending it out). But it depends what kind of effect you want and what you are coloring (e.g., BG000 was underneath the snowballs on my holiday cards, which had a penguin juggling snowballs). Look at the very light shades you have to see what might be good, but you definitely need a light gray if you don't already have one, and more grays are even better! Hahaha! Like we all didn't know that!!!! Seriously though, you do want some light grey options for shadows, and I personally think the neutral is the most versatile. Marianne's blog has great shadow info that for me is very much a work in progress but if you have a shadow pooling at the bottom of an image, I think it still makes the image look better even if it's not technically correct given how you shadowed the rest of your image.

To cut things out, I color first, then cut using very sharp detail scissors. Remember to think about whether you can turn your work, instead of the scissors, for curves, etc. You can stamp your image on your base and then again, and cut only a portion of the spare image to pop up, or do even more layers.

Cynthia
Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #265
Stazon Splitcoast

And shame on me.....I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and bought seven more Copics! My collection just keeps growing....
Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #266
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
Full of Q's the past few days.. Marianne, others, would anyone know if these markers are easily available, less costly in Japan/other Asian countries? I have a friend traveling to Korea in a few days and another stationed there and was just wondering? I'd love to go into one of those comic shops where they feature all the Manga artwork.. Also, sorry (little OT here )... is the Pokemon character/card game considered Manga (I was thinking it was)... even tho I dont really know what I'm doing , having so much fun with these markers !!

Leigh
Hi Leigh,
My dad got 2 sets of 36 Ciao markers in Japan... he refused to let me pay for the one I asked him to get me so I'm not sure of the exact pricing, but when I first asked him to get me a set, I think after exchange it worked out to around $80 CAN per box. He ordered from Amazon Japan, which I would assume is cheaper than buying in store somewhere. Maybe Amazon.jp can ship to Korea for fairly cheap? My dad's brother lives in Japan so my dad ordered here (in Canada) online, and had it shipped for free to his brother.

HTH,

nina
Old 01-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #267
Embossing Fanatic

Is there a rule of thumb as when to use a cool gray vs. a warm gray?

Janet
Old 01-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #268
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer3 View Post
Is there a rule of thumb as when to use a cool gray vs. a warm gray?

Janet
Depends on the tone you would like.

Warm gray is more like dirt with a brown tint...cool gray is a pure black/white mix.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #269
Forum Fanatic

Flesh tone advise needed: I have some wonderful colors now for coloring fair skinned old ladies and Scandanavian kids, but what colors might you recommend for olive toned, tanned, and/or darker skin tones? Goin' for a multi-cultural spectrum here. Any recommendations? TIA

Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #270
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
Flesh tone advise needed: I have some wonderful colors now for coloring fair skinned old ladies and Scandanavian kids, but what colors might you recommend for olive toned, tanned, and/or darker skin tones? Goin' for a multi-cultural spectrum here. Any recommendations? TIA
http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...rs-part-1.html

Again, this is from Marianne's Blog. A fairly good examples of Skin combinations.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Old 01-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #271
Insane Embellisher

love this thread - now you have me thinking which ones I need....
Thanks alot
Kathy
Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #272
Rubber Obsessor

For anyone who owns any toner grays... what do you think? I tested one today, and it seems to be a slightly warmed version of the neutral gray. I can see the difference side by side when I look closely, but it's not a big difference. Is it enough to warrant a purchase of a few? I have 48 markers, so there are still plenty of things on the wish list (of course, from this thread, I know you can have 148 & still have a wish list! ).

I was intrigued by the idea that I could use them over a color to add shadow, but now I wonder if I should just try with my Ns.

Just wanted to know how much these get used, and for what.

Cynthia
Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #273
Pearl-ExPert

I tried searching Marianne's blog but couldn't find an answer. It's probably a dumb question but here goes: I just got copics and am slowly learning. I really like using them. One of my problems, though, is when I want to put grass, etc., under an image. It was pretty easy with prisma pencils but with the copic sketch markers, it seems too heavy. Any advice would be wonderful.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #274
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
One of my problems, though, is when I want to put grass, etc., under an image. It was pretty easy with prisma pencils but with the copic sketch markers, it seems too heavy. Any advice would be wonderful.
Very reasonable question! What colors are you using?? My best advice would be to start with something light and then add something in the medium range towards the edges of your tufts to add dimension, and then blend with light or reapply your light or medium shade, or even add a third darker shade and blend. I find I do better with freehand stuff like grass by adding the deeper shades to something light. If you think about it, it's similar to using pencils where you build color as you scribble your grass. So short answer, is I bet you are starting with a grass color, and at least for me, I can't get it to come out how I want if I do that. For what it's worth, that is how I do it!

Speaking of which, Marianne, if you see this, I *love* your recommendation for G85 for foliage, I got it today and it's clearly going to get a lot of use! Thanks!!!

Cynthia
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #275
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallcomp View Post
http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...rs-part-1.html

Again, this is from Marianne's Blog. A fairly good examples of Skin combinations.
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you (now I need to go get about 36 more markers...LOL!)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #276
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppymouse View Post
Very reasonable question! What colors are you using?? My best advice would be to start with something light and then add something in the medium range towards the edges of your tufts to add dimension, and then blend with light or reapply your light or medium shade, or even add a third darker shade and blend. I find I do better with freehand stuff like grass by adding the deeper shades to something light. If you think about it, it's similar to using pencils where you build color as you scribble your grass. So short answer, is I bet you are starting with a grass color, and at least for me, I can't get it to come out how I want if I do that. For what it's worth, that is how I do it!

Speaking of which, Marianne, if you see this, I *love* your recommendation for G85 for foliage, I got it today and it's clearly going to get a lot of use! Thanks!!!

Cynthia
Yes, I am starting with a grass color, but I don't have many colors and I don't know what light colors I would use. Don't have a very "light" green.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #277
Pearl-ExPert

Another question by you copic pros: I've been coloring images that I've gotten from wishrak that are not using copic ink. I'm just being very careful and so far it's working. Am I going to be sorry later, like will it all bleed or something?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #278
Insane Embellisher

Darn I have read this forum over twice and I know somewhere was a chart comparing copics to SU. Can someone help me out.
Thanks
Kathy
Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #279
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Another question by you copic pros: I've been coloring images that I've gotten from wishrak that are not using copic ink. I'm just being very careful and so far it's working. Am I going to be sorry later, like will it all bleed or something?
Susan, we must be at the same place on the copic learning curve! I have been doing the same thing, and now started wishing for "copic" ink... I wonder if I'll have to make two wishes for everything, just to keep my prismas (pencils) happy, too (or do you think gamsol will behave with memento?)...

Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #280
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSchwich View Post
Susan, we must be at the same place on the copic learning curve! I have been doing the same thing, and now started wishing for "copic" ink... I wonder if I'll have to make two wishes for everything, just to keep my prismas (pencils) happy, too (or do you think gamsol will behave with memento?)...

I've no idea. I heard it would make the memento bleed so you'll just have to try it. I've been in wishrak alot longer than you have and I have TONS of images that will work with my pencils, but I'm really liking copic. It's quicker too than having to keep using the gamsol. At least for me, unless I'm doing something wrong. I just started wishing for everything copic now, but I'm still using some of the images I have. Most are okay unless I soak the paper to much with the copics.