Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #2161
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Paper Kissy

Aghhh, I want to buy more Copics SOOO bad. I added them all up, to get the rest of the colors I need, without adding all the grays...$703! That sorta, kinda seems like a reasonable amount lol. I put them all in my cart at carpediem, then didn't do anything, I was so tempted to go all in debt for them though!

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #2162
Die Cut Diva

My issue is the blender pen. No, I'm not using it to "blend" but you know how some people use it to blend out their image so the center is lighter. Well, It sure as heck does not work for me. Anytime I use that blender pen for anything except fixing a mistake....I ruin the image! Anyone have any hints or tips?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #2163
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
My issue is the blender pen. No, I'm not using it to "blend" but you know how some people use it to blend out their image so the center is lighter. Well, It sure as heck does not work for me. Anytime I use that blender pen for anything except fixing a mistake....I ruin the image! Anyone have any hints or tips?
When I use the blender pen, I just very lightly use it to add streaks or small light strokes - usually on flowers. I don't put a big spot anywhere or use it very hard. That is the only thing that works for me.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #2164
Insane Embellisher

I use my blender pen alot to make the clothes look a little worn. You kknow at the tips of shoes....knees of jeans...I put streaks in hair....I take color out on like benches......but i have just started learning wiht it.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #2165
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bo View Post
I have the same problem, it makes a mess if I try to make a highlight in the middle of an image...I'm going to try what someone else suggested, somewhere, and that is to lay down the blender pen FIRST, then go over it with your colors. You have to be careful not to bleed too much then, but she said it makes the colors lighter in the first place. Worth a try....I do find that if you QUICKLY swab, it doesn't make as much of an obvious "spot."
I do think the "gradual" IS the key, because I have found I push my dark color out too much if my lightest color is TOO light. I'm going to try not going over it at all with the lightest color, just the middle color.
I have not had much success with the tip to tip method, myself! I find it gives me spotty color instead of a blend, and it's too light. I know, it's user error, but just thought I'd mention that...I have a little more success using the darker color on a palette.

Gale, which GinaK paper are you using, aren't there 2 weights? Maybe on the video she is using the lighter weight, and you have the heavier? Just a thought. I use the GP from WalMart, although it does bleed/feather (whatever is the proper term!) easily because it is so soft. I have tried a couple other papers and they are TOO absorbent, which makes it very very hard to blend...I get harsh lines instead.
Finally, I have better luck with some shades compared to others, for some reason...I can't find a purple group to save my life, that gives me a nice gradual blend without harsh lines or without bleeding out! But I like how the B00/B02/B04/B06 turns out...it's just weird! So, maybe trying another color group will even turn out better for you?!
Do share, when you find out what works!!!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 04-03-2009 at 05:39 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #2166
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I'm using the 120 lb. I *think* that is what she mentioned on another video. Tonight I will try other papers/methods.
That's what I was thinking...some others have mentioned that is TOO absorbent. Maybe the 80 lb is easier to blend on...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #2167
Matboard Maniac

Hi
just wanted to say hello and I'm still here-just trying to learn how to use my new Copics. My internet's been down for a few days too. I got a few more colours and I'm starting to get a feel for the colours now. I still struggle when you try to get markers say two numbers apart but there's a big leap from a pastel colour to a bright. I seem to have mainly E colours too but I do do alot of animals so think I've got some good colours for them now.

I'm just trying to grasp the blending now! Now I've a few I started to think about storage and as I have bought in Ciao what I can and Sketch the others they don't do storage for mixed pens and to separate them would separate colours which isn't any good. Typical. Still need more colours-only one blue and two greens and no grey but keeping on top of the info on here and the blogs suggested-thank you all so much!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #2168
Matboard Maniac

Gale, I think your card looks great! What Copic colors did you use? I have some Gina K. paper on it's way right now. I ordered both weights, so I'll experiment with them.

I also have 22 Copics winging their way to me from Carpe Diem. Woo hoo!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #2169
Die Cut Diva

Gale I think your card looks really great! Don't be so hard on yourself, I really think you are doing a great job.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #2170
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Me again. I made this card tonight using PTI paper and you can see how it didn't really blend. I colored and colored for a LONG time too! And not only that but when I did the cheeks I went over the ice cream parts yet again! So I'm just going to have to keep trying I guess but in the meantime I'll have to be satisfied with this or else I'll go nuts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/gale2/40409b.jpg
i think that's adorable! are you doing one section at a time with the blending? sometimes when i do one layer on the whole image and then go back with second layer and try to blend, everything is dry and blending isn't as easy. i haven't been keeping up around here lately so maybe that's already been said. at any rate, i think your coloring looks great!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #2171
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Gale, you card is adorable and you did a very nice job!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #2172
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with everyone Gale that your card is great - I see what you are saying and I have this problem too, then I went and read some Manga and looked at the colouring and is very streaky in general you see the shade difference but what I also noticed is that instead of doing outline shading like with pencils I had to bring the darker colour in a bit more and let the lighter colour be a highlight normally in some sort of circular/oval shape and then blend the circular/oval border a bit.

I hope that makes sense.

Actually my little avatar is pretty good example of darks and lights within a color, though the color is grays. Sometimes you just have to have an edge and create the illusion for the eye.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #2173
Matboard Maniac

Gale firstly your card is gorgeous as is your colouring. What really impresses me though is your determination to succeed at this whole blending thing! I am new to this myself and it's so easy to become disheartened but I read your post and see your efforts and your determination becomes contagious! Thank you!

How about we quote this oft repeated phrase?

Can we blend with copics?

YES WE CAN!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #2174
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannejdean View Post
If you're interested in Copic Tutorials in video & pdf form please check out my blog and my sidebar for a list of them. I've made a bunch of tutorials using a variety of images and techniques including a Tip's video & worksheet. I made these in response to so many asking me to do them and I hope they're helpful!

hugz~
I wanted to say that I just finished watching ALL of Suzanne's tutorials and they are AMAZING!! She is very easy to follow and I am going to try some of the great tips she mentioned. I recommend to anyone to check out her blog and watch her tutorials!

Thanks so much Suzanne, your work is amazing!

Here is a link to Suzanne's blog: http://www.scrapbitz.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #2175
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I agree that I am hard on myself and very determined! lol. I will not give up!

Riverisis-I totally understand what you mean. I should have brought in the darker color more toward the center rather than just the outline.

I did do one section at a time and I also had my lids all off so I could just grab and color.
Have you checked out any of Suzanne's tutorials yet? She used her darkest colour first, her mid tone and then her lightest and the way she shows her shading was a real "light bulb" moment for me. I am going to try her method and see how it goes. Just an idea for you...

I love how we are all "learning" together and eager to share our tips, ideas, etc. Makes you feel not quite so alone or frusterated doesn't it?!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #2176
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Me again. I made this card tonight using PTI paper and you can see how it didn't really blend. I colored and colored for a LONG time too! And not only that but when I did the cheeks I went over the ice cream parts yet again! So I'm just going to have to keep trying I guess but in the meantime I'll have to be satisfied with this or else I'll go nuts.

Your card is adorable! You are doing a great job. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #2177
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Yes I did-that's why I originally posted. I watched the videos and couldn't get it to work the way she did.
Ohhhh, I see. Hmmmm...it's funny how some techniques work great for one person and not for another....same with the whole paper/ink combo. I haven't tried her method yet but am eager to give it a shot. I guess it's still back to the whole practice, practice, practice thing lol.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #2178
Polyshrink Goddess

Loving this thread, just found a store that sells copic near me....hope to get some soon. Can only afford 3 right now, thinking of getting a brown, pink and a colorless to begin with!! I have some cupcakes stamps I would like to color!!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #2179
Crimping Master

You know they are like Lays potato chips, don't you. You can't stop with just one (or 3). I bought 2, and now have 20 (still not sure how that happened ). They sure are addictive little guys. I just wish they were as cheap as potato chips. (get it, cheap as chips, ha ha. that's what too little sleep gets ya.)

Sorry!

Pamela
Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #2180
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

what a great card! I see a little bit of a line in the colors but it still looks great! I had the same trouble with PTI, btw--again, it is TOO thick and absorbent. You need to get to WalMart and try the GP white there, or Gina's 80 lb

Old 04-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #2181
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love pink View Post
Loving this thread, just found a store that sells copic near me....hope to get some soon. Can only afford 3 right now, thinking of getting a brown, pink and a colorless to begin with!! I have some cupcakes stamps I would like to color!!
Just keep in mind that you aren't getting any colors to blend with that way, so don't judge the Copics by these 3

Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #2182
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I agree with everyone Gale that your card is great - I see what you are saying and I have this problem too, then I went and read some Manga and looked at the colouring and is very streaky in general you see the shade difference but what I also noticed is that instead of doing outline shading like with pencils I had to bring the darker colour in a bit more and let the lighter colour be a highlight normally in some sort of circular/oval shape and then blend the circular/oval border a bit.

I hope that makes sense.

Actually my little avatar is pretty good example of darks and lights within a color, though the color is grays. Sometimes you just have to have an edge and create the illusion for the eye.
wow, you colored your avi? Do you have a bigger picture of it?? it looks great!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #2183
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah I know I won't be able to blend with 3 but I am not very good at blending anyway...still need to finish reading Mariannes blog, I have started from the beginning. My partner is an achitect and he has about 10 Kurecolor pens from when he was in school....he wanted to continue to collect those but they are bulky and not available here so I am getting him hooked on copics instead....maybe he can buy some too and we can share them lol!

So I will have about 12 markers to play with...even though I won't have the similar colors to blend with....its a start....I also don't own many stamps that require coloring but I will get there eventually!

Any tips on a favorite pink and brown? Hoping to go to art store today
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #2184
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
wow, you colored your avi? Do you have a bigger picture of it?? it looks great!
Sorry no its from Dr Who but it is a good representation of coloring in a graphic style and that sometimes shadowing and color changes to indicate shadows are harsh, you smooth the edge of the color blend but the tone change isn't gradual.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #2185
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Sorry no its from Dr Who but it is a good representation of coloring in a graphic style and that sometimes shadowing and color changes to indicate shadows are harsh, you smooth the edge of the color blend but the tone change isn't gradual.
ahh, makes sense!

I love your siggy quote, btw--did I tell you that already?!

Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #2186
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Yeah I know I won't be able to blend with 3 but I am not very good at blending anyway...still need to finish reading Mariannes blog, I have started from the beginning. My partner is an achitect and he has about 10 Kurecolor pens from when he was in school....he wanted to continue to collect those but they are bulky and not available here so I am getting him hooked on copics instead....maybe he can buy some too and we can share them lol!

So I will have about 12 markers to play with...even though I won't have the similar colors to blend with....its a start....I also don't own many stamps that require coloring but I will get there eventually!

I actually was going to suggest using other alcohol markers to start with, but I was afraid I'd be flogged since this is the Copic thread.
Personally, I love E25 for brown; pink depends on if you want soft pink or bright pink...for soft, I like R20

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #2187
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
I actually was going to suggest using other alcohol markers to start with, but I was afraid I'd be flogged since this is the Copic thread.
Personally, I love E25 for brown; pink depends on if you want soft pink or bright pink...for soft, I like R20

Only problem with the other markers is most of them boring manly colors! There is a purple and a nice blue but others are kind of boring for me haha! Plus so excited I found a store that sells them...I just need to get my hands on some...cannot stop thinking about them!
Thanks for the suggestions, I have written them down and will see what the store has
Old 04-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #2188
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I tried it out (just doodling) on pti and it seemed to blend better. I think. I need to try a real project AND I need to get my journal thing made (the one Marianne told us to make) so I can try out different papers/colors/methods.
Gale

I started the journal that Marianne told us too. I bought a small notebook and in the back I started writing color combos she uses and for what and in the beginning of the book I note all her tips that I think will apply to me. I've been working on the color combos that I actually come up with but that's still a work in progress to get organized.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #2189
Glitter Queen

Quote:

My favorite pink is RV14 begonia pink. And my favorite brown is E37 Sepia, but I only have 78 copics, and I just got them 2 days ago, so not too much experience, but I've already colored lots of images, and LOVE these two colors. You can see some things I've colored here http://jamie2887.blogspot.com/
Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #2190
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2887 View Post
My favorite pink is RV14 begonia pink. And my favorite brown is E37 Sepia, but I only have 78 copics, and I just got them 2 days ago, so not too much experience, but I've already colored lots of images, and LOVE these two colors. You can see some things I've colored here http://jamie2887.blogspot.com/
Wow your coloring is awesome! I went to the store a few hours ago and got E25 and R81 and a colorless blender...no idea what the colors look like as I was scared to open them to look incase I got told off!! I was completely lost and then forgot what the numbers stood for lol so ended up getting 2 colors that looked pretty lol! Maybe I will have better luck next time!!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #2191
Stampin' Fool

My favorite pinks are RV17 and RV25!

What are eveyone's favorite green? I would like to get some more greens as I don't think that I have enough.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #2192
Polyshrink Goddess

What does the V mean in RV17 please? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #2193
Glitter Queen

My favorite greens out of what I have are
YG95 (pale olive)
YG97 (spanish olive)
G24 (willow)
G28 (ocean green)
YG17 (grass green)
Old 04-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #2194
Glitter Queen

Quote:
What does the V mean in RV17 please? Thanks!
Violet
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #2195
Polyshrink Goddess

So if I started with R81 and E25 what colors should I get next so I can start to blend please? Still confused with the numbers lol!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #2196
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2887 View Post
My favorite greens out of what I have are
YG95 (pale olive)
YG97 (spanish olive)
G24 (willow)
G28 (ocean green)
YG17 (grass green)
Thanks Jamie!

To be able to blend colors it is good to skip one number in between the last digit. For example R81, R83 & R85. These would give you 3 different colors, but since they are close they would blend well together.

There is a great Copic color chart mostly completed with color samples that you can look at to give you an idea of what some of the colors look like. The link is posted somewhere on this thread. She also lists her top 20 (I think) choices for getting started with Copics.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #2197
Polyshrink Goddess

Cool! Thanks...will have to search through and see if I can find it! Copics are fun!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #2198
Stampin' Fool

The name of her blog is paper canoes. Try to google it and it should pull it right up, easier than sorting through all of these pages. Scroll down just a little and she also has some great samples of coloring with Copics.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #2199
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks so much...of to check it out :0)
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #2200
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinkyfingers View Post
Gale

I started the journal that Marianne told us too. I bought a small notebook and in the back I started writing color combos she uses and for what and in the beginning of the book I note all her tips that I think will apply to me. I've been working on the color combos that I actually come up with but that's still a work in progress to get organized.
I need some guidance in STARTING Marianne's blog -it is a little overwhelming! soo much great info----any suggestions?? TIA! ALSO- it is sooo very cool how Marianne jumps on the thread with help!!!