Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2121
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=suzannejdean;13529162]If you're interested in Copic Tutorials in video & pdf form please check out my blog and my sidebar for a list of them. I've made a bunch of tutorials using a variety of images and techniques including a Tip's video & worksheet. I made these in response to so many asking me to do them and I hope they're helpful!

hugz~[/QUOTE

Thanks so much! Your tutorials are chocked full with helpful hints! Thanks for sharing!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #2122
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_T View Post
Here is a card that I made when I first started with copics. I was still having trouble with the blender pen and shading, but you can see the colors. I used E08 for the flowerpot.

Your card is wonderful!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #2123
Stazon Splitcoast

The tips on the Ciao are exactly the same as the Sketch, and you can always mix them up, too. I have some of each kind! May not work for your storage, but otherwise I'd get the Ciao if they have the colors you want, and the Sketch if not. Oh, the other thing is the name of the color isn't on the cap for the Ciaos, so if that is important to you, you may want the Sketch. For me, I'd rather have more of them!
As for blending, you want the last numbers to be 2 or 3 apart. This doesn't ALWAYS work, though, but USUALLY. You can't go by how they look on the screen, though...check out CJBapp's chart (somewhere in this thread and on her blog), where you can see how the actual swatches looked on her paper (to compare them to each other).
E11 is definitely not that dark...in fact, with E00 it's even hard to see a whole lot of difference (at least on my paper, which is GP).
I couldn't find a photo where I used R20 but I'll see if I have one on my computer I can upload...
HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank canvas View Post
Thank you for all the advice Lynn. You raised a good point. If i'm not going to use them tonnes maybe I should get the ciao. i'll never be able to afford to buys lots-say 100 or so, so maybe the limited colour in ciao wouldn't matter. the inks the same in each, just need to check if the ciao nibs are Ok.

I wonder if that's the way.I can get more then quicker and as I'll be forever an amateur maybe Ciao are for me?

I read on people's blogs that they use all three kinds so if i decide i really love them i can switch over to the Sketch anyway, but I can't see me ever using the spray and maybe the Ciao offer me better value and a better way of trying Copics per se?

Lynn you've made me think and I think I'll try the Ciao first at least. I can get a few and see, thanks for the colour comments too. I see that you need at least 3 to blend though still not certain how near they need to be in numbers say if you get A11, do you then get A12 and A13 or jump the 2/3 numbers I've read about? Sometimes say A11 is very pale and A14 seems alot different and you can't imagine blending them. The E11 scares me as it looks dark but i've read it used many times for skin so will reply on expert advice! If they do these in the Ciao of course-off to have a look.

THANK YOU!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #2124
Stazon Splitcoast

sorry, duplicate post!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #2125
Crimping Master

One quick question, if I might. I understand the difference in the warm and cool grays, that makes sense to me. But what, pray tell, are neutral and toner gray?

I was looking at the color wheel and trying to figure out what markers to get next (it's a sickness I tell ya) and noticed for the first time, all the grays. I don't have any of them and figured that maybe I should think about it. It is just so hard to think about getting 'GRAY' when all the colors are so pretty and gray is so... not.

I just bought 8 more at HL tonight, to give me a grand total of 20 (yeah!!!). This is probably my last purchase until next month, but it is never to soon to start planning.

Thanks

Pamela
Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #2126
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Chick View Post
One quick question, if I might. I understand the difference in the warm and cool grays, that makes sense to me. But what, pray tell, are neutral and toner gray?

I was looking at the color wheel and trying to figure out what markers to get next (it's a sickness I tell ya) and noticed for the first time, all the grays. I don't have any of them and figured that maybe I should think about it. It is just so hard to think about getting 'GRAY' when all the colors are so pretty and gray is so... not.
You do actually need some grays (And no, I am not being an enabler here! Well, I hope not; they will stretch what you have already). They are not as satisfying as colors, but you will use them a ton. Since you can shop at a HL, you can swipe them, which is an advantage. Marianne posted links to her "why do I need grays" blog posts earlier in this thread, and I cannot hope to say anything even remotely as good. Short answer, though, is that you will want a light gray--at the very least-- to do shadows around your images and to use to make a single color turn into that color and a shadow so you can shade. I have Ws, Cs and Ns. I do not feel I need any Ts (cross btwn N and W) but that is just me. If I was getting just 2, I personally vote for the N1 and N3, but that's my opinion. The theory is that you use the Ws to shade warm tones and the Cs for cool tones, and then you would use a range of greys for black objects, as opposed to using black. I find the Ns work with most anything, so they are a good bet, and I almost always use them around my images. I suggest you do lines of various colors that you already have on good coloring paper and bring them to the HL and run some samples across, and then do them by themselves so you can ponder what works best with what you have. I don't recall off the top of my head what grays are at the HL...

Also, for any Dick Blcik retail shoppers, here's a printable 30% off coupon good thru Friday!

Cynthia

http://www.dickblick.com/stores/prom...stcoupon_01432
Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #2127
Pearl-ExPert

i don't think i'm going to find a copic certification class anywhere near me anytime soon. but i would still love to go to a stamp store for a class. i'm in central illinois. anyone know of any in say....st. louis, peoria, champaign, or bloomington?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #2128
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
i don't think i'm going to find a copic certification class anywhere near me anytime soon. but i would still love to go to a stamp store for a class. i'm in central illinois. anyone know of any in say....st. louis, peoria, champaign, or bloomington?
Ditto here too. I'm in Houston and I've never heard of a class down this way. I'd love to go to one whether it's certification or not.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #2129
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so much for you help in assistaing me to start off with some Copics. I've ordered a few-mostly Ciao but some sketch where no Ciao or out of stock.

So far I've ordered
Blender
RV10 pale pink
RV11
RV13 tender pink
RV20 Blush
E00 Skin
E47 dark brown (for hair but not sure if this is right?)
YG06

I also think i'll order
E11
E21
E31
E43
RV02
Y00
Y11
Yg03

Should that keep me going for a while? I think I've got skin, blonde hair, animals, pink flowers and dresses covered and flower stalks and leaves. Still struggling with dark coloured hair-dark brown preferable to black. Will the dark brown suffice or should I get the bark or something else. Someone mentioned using greys for black hair-how can greys not be grey hair? I don't understand. I so appreciate your help-sorry to be a pain with all this!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #2130
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedPixie View Post
I'm kind of a newbie to Copics myself, this is just my opinion. I love RV21, RV23 AND RV25, but I think they are kind of bright and I'm not sure they'll be soft enough for you (since you said you wanted soft pinks). I used them in this Kimono (with a few other pinks)
Love your card.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #2131
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Here is a card that I made when I first started with copics. I was still having trouble with the blender pen and shading, but you can see the colors. I used E08 for the flowerpot.
Love your sunflowers. Your shading looks great!
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #2132
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane617 View Post
Thanks, she turns three in 2 months and she's my only grandchild so far!
She is adorable. I hope you get to have more. I have 4 and I think grandchildren are the reason we have children in the first place.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #2133
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels View Post
Me too...I've inquired about classes in Dallas and they've put it on the list but not sure when they will get to it.
That's good to know that at least they did that. I'd gladly come up to Dallas for a class.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #2134
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannejdean View Post
If you're interested in Copic Tutorials in video & pdf form please check out my blog and my sidebar for a list of them. I've made a bunch of tutorials using a variety of images and techniques including a Tip's video & worksheet. I made these in response to so many asking me to do them and I hope they're helpful!

hugz~
This is great. Thanks. I've added you to my favorites and will check them all out when I get home and can print out the hard copies. I need all the help i can get.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #2135
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thank you so much for you help in assistaing me to start off with some Copics. I've ordered a few-mostly Ciao but some sketch where no Ciao or out of stock.

So far I've ordered
Blender
RV10 pale pink
RV11
RV13 tender pink
RV20 Blush
E00 Skin
YG06

I also think i'll order
E11
E21
E31
E43
RV02
Y00
Y11
Yg03

Should that keep me going for a while? I think I've got skin, blonde hair, animals, pink flowers and dresses covered and flower stalks and leaves. Still struggling with dark coloured hair-dark brown preferable to black. Will the dark brown suffice or should I get the bark or something else. Someone mentioned using greys for black hair-how can greys not be grey hair? I don't understand. I so appreciate your help-sorry to be a pain with all this!
The grays help you to shade the color you've already laid down, it won't look gray if it's on top of another color, if that makes sense?
I don't see blonde hair in your list? Y00 is almost fluorescent, IMO; nice for a highlight but by itself will look unnatural.
Also, you may want E02 to blend with your skin and a darker YG for foliage (YG03 is quite bright).
You've got several browns that have different FIRST numbers--realize, that means that they are different shades. For blending, you want the SECOND number to be 2 or 3 apart.
The RV's are a little purplish...if you check out my post a few pages back, of Patricia Birthdaycake (fairy blowing out candles on a cake), that's the colors I used on her.
The only other thing I'd say is err on the side of lighter rather than darker. I wish I had MORE light colors!

anyone else have thoughts on this? I am just giving my inexperienced opinion!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #2136
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

So far I've ordered
Blender
RV10 pale pink
RV11
RV13 tender pink
RV20 Blush
E00 Skin
YG06

I also think i'll order
E11
E21
E31
E43
RV02
Y00
Y11
Yg03

I actually made a card where my angel has black hair, but it was made with a few of my Cool Gray Copics. It's mainly just an illusion of black, not actually using the colour black. Here is the link, or I have attached a photo of it: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=95536

imported_photos_00009_by_r2mckinl.jpg

Good luck!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #2137
Pearl-ExPert

anyone been to a copics class at the inkspot in kirkswood, mo? they just had a class this past tuesday but website says they will do extra classes if you contact them with a grou of at least 4 people! i have 5 people right here in town wanting a class so i think we could work this out. any info on this place?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #2138
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2mckinl View Post
I actually made a card where my angel has black hair, but it was made with a few of my Cool Gray Copics. It's mainly just an illusion of black, not actually using the colour black. Here is the link, or I have attached a photo of it: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=95536

Attachment 139901

Good luck!
Well done! and Exactly! Black is never Black there are tones in it. I have a mouse next to me that is black but there are actually very few areas on it that are a black color to color - it is all shades of dark and light grays.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #2139
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
The grays help you to shade the color you've already laid down, it won't look gray if it's on top of another color, if that makes sense?
I don't see blonde hair in your list? Y00 is almost fluorescent, IMO; nice for a highlight but by itself will look unnatural.
Also, you may want E02 to blend with your skin and a darker YG for foliage (YG03 is quite bright).
You've got several browns that have different FIRST numbers--realize, that means that they are different shades. For blending, you want the SECOND number to be 2 or 3 apart.
The RV's are a little purplish...if you check out my post a few pages back, of Patricia Birthdaycake (fairy blowing out candles on a cake), that's the colors I used on her.
The only other thing I'd say is err on the side of lighter rather than darker. I wish I had MORE light colors!

anyone else have thoughts on this? I am just giving my inexperienced opinion!
Thank you again! I've basically found some blogs and seen their work and copied the numbers. I found a blog with lots of Penny Black animal stamps and Tildas which is where my stamping interest lies and these numbers-the yellows and browns are what they stated are used for skin and various blonde hair. The problem is no blog I've found says I did Tildas hair in numbers blah blah blah and then her skin in xyz. I'm really struggling when I can't actually see the colours-on blogs they look really different to the swatches. What I think I'm understanding is that you can use a very light colour say beigey and by adding layers of it it will go alot darker-so not to buy a dark colour as they lighter ones will provide the darkness when layered? Is that right?

Maybe I'll stick with the first order and see when it arrives. to be honest I'm not sure I have any suitable ink and card. The inks suggested aren't easy to obtain in the UK. papertrey card ditto. Will versamark ink work and whisper white SU card?

Gosh, this is hard work, when will I get to the fun bit?! Thank you for bearing with me-I know I'm heavily reliant here but with no experience, no access to copics, no brain it feels, I'm trying to work through this and stay determined but it's hard when blogs state maybe 10 different E's were used!

Am i totally wrong with everything I've stated-will the first lot that I've ordered get me anywhere and what should I get for blonde hair and dark hair-what colour do i use grey over for it to create dark and not grey hair.

Sorry, sorry, sorry about this!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #2140
Insane Embellisher

Blank Canvas,
I am giving you the link to Marianne's blog. http://www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com On it she explains which inks to use, which papers will and won't work, how to blend, which markers to use for skin, hair, etc. She works for Copic and her blog has been a great help to me. I've been reading along since she started the blog and it would help you to start at the very first and skim through to find the articles that you want to read. She builds on what she has already taught, so you need to go back to the very beginning and start from there. There will be some articles that don't apply to what you're doing and you can skip those. It's a little overwhelming at first, but once you get the right paper and ink you'll have a great time! She lists several brands that will work, and so maybe you will have access to at least one of them. Here is another link that explains another blending technique that requires less markers. http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi/2...opics-101.html Good luck!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #2141
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thank you again! I've basically found some blogs and seen their work and copied the numbers. I found a blog with lots of Penny Black animal stamps and Tildas which is where my stamping interest lies and these numbers-the yellows and browns are what they stated are used for skin and various blonde hair. The problem is no blog I've found says I did Tildas hair in numbers blah blah blah and then her skin in xyz. I'm really struggling when I can't actually see the colours-on blogs they look really different to the swatches. What I think I'm understanding is that you can use a very light colour say beigey and by adding layers of it it will go alot darker-so not to buy a dark colour as they lighter ones will provide the darkness when layered? Is that right?

Maybe I'll stick with the first order and see when it arrives. to be honest I'm not sure I have any suitable ink and card. The inks suggested aren't easy to obtain in the UK. papertrey card ditto. Will versamark ink work and whisper white SU card?

Gosh, this is hard work, when will I get to the fun bit?! Thank you for bearing with me-I know I'm heavily reliant here but with no experience, no access to copics, no brain it feels, I'm trying to work through this and stay determined but it's hard when blogs state maybe 10 different E's were used!

Am i totally wrong with everything I've stated-will the first lot that I've ordered get me anywhere and what should I get for blonde hair and dark hair-what colour do i use grey over for it to create dark and not grey hair.

Sorry, sorry, sorry about this!
Ok I have a picture attached where I used R20 along with R27 and R29 on her shirt. Hope that helps!
I know I used E25 and E27 on the dog, but I also went over it with a yellow for highlights, and I think E33 for a lighter brown.
Some of these are Prismacolor markers (the greens in this one, for example). Where I wasn't particular about the shade I got some Prismacolors.

You do get some darker shade by going over it with the same marker, but it's not as noticeable as having a darker marker would be. You don't need 10 different shades, but 2 at least, maybe 3, really helps. On the blogs where they mention 10 different E's, they are probably coloring different things with them. Like in this photo, the fence is a different set of browns than the dog.
You can also use a light gray (last number 1 or 2) to shade a color darker. There is a tutorial on ilikemarkers that shows exactly how something would look. It changes the color a tad, and makes it look shaded. Actually, I did this on the fence--I don't know if you can see it, but it's slightly darker where she's sitting, where the crosspieces join, etc.--I used a warm gray there (I think in this case it was a 4 because the brown was dark already)

For hair, I read another thread and Julie made some suggestions, and that's what I bought: Y21 plus YR21 for blonde, E25 plus E27 for brown, with a red for highlights. If you look back at my previous posts in this thread, you'll see those colors used.

Finally, for the ink and paper you'll just have to try it. SU WW doesn't work that well though (hard to blend) but there are plenty of other papers that do work. I haven't tried Versamark, but do you mean Versafine Archival Onyx Black? If so, that does work as long as you heat set it or let it dry a long time first.
Attached Thumbnails
sugar-nellie-summer-ice-cream.jpg  

Last edited by nottoocreative; 03-26-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #2142
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Attachment 139901

Good luck!
This is gorgeous, thanks for sharing...how dark of a gray did you use?

Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #2143
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Well done! and Exactly! Black is never Black there are tones in it. I have a mouse next to me that is black but there are actually very few areas on it that are a black color to color - it is all shades of dark and light grays.
gorgeous card! don't make me want those stamps!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #2144
Pearl-ExPert

great card lynn! love the background!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #2145
Matboard Maniac

Thank you. I've been looking at that site today at the black and grey bits and cards and ink. I think my head is overwhelmed as alot of it is amazingly helpful and I get the grey bit now, but re: cards and ink I found I was still confused. (No hope for me).

Versamark seems to be Ok when embossed and some people think Whisper White is OK but being coated it may not work very well. The papertrey which i thought everyone recommended may be too thick-that's good really as shipping to the UK is SO expensive! Phew! Can I do Whisper White or would another white uncoated card be OK?

Do the little memento ink pads work-the ones like the colorbox chalks size? Is black tuxedo the one? I think i can get one of these you see.

I shall stick with the few i've already ordered-and see what they are like when they arrive. Can I be a pain and ask a couple more things?

Am i right in understanding that if I say get (just making numbers and letters up here) A56 and A57 and A59-they would blend? If I wanted to keep to the same colour range-ie pastels, I would need to get colours with the same numbers so say R56, 57 and 59 and Y56, 57 and 59? They would all look good together as similar shades so to speak?

Am i better off getting the 00, 02 and say 03 of each colour then to start? So in blue, red, yellow, grey etc? Would that be best for a beginner-start light, they'd blend as near to each other but not be too bold and hard to control?

I am sorry for being a bore here, I can't work this out myself and even with blogs I still am getting it wrong. Once I've got the basics I can probably see for myself what i need to fill the gaps but I really want to get the basics that will cover my needs so i don't lose hope and any remaining confidence i may have!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #2146
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
Ok I have a picture attached where I used R20 along with R27 and R29 on her shirt. Hope that helps!
I know I used E25 and E27 on the dog, but I also went over it with a yellow for highlights, and I think E33 for a lighter brown.
You can also use a light gray (last number 1 or 2) to shade a color darker. There is a tutorial on ilikemarkers that shows exactly how something would look. It changes the color a tad, and makes it look shaded. Actually, I did this on the fence--I don't know if you can see it, but it's slightly darker where she's sitting, where the crosspieces join, etc.--I used a warm gray there (I think in this case it was a 4 because the brown was dark already)

For hair, I read another thread and Julie made some suggestions, and that's what I bought: Y21 plus YR21 for blonde, E25 plus E27 for brown, with a red for highlights. If you look back at my previous posts in this thread, you'll see those colors used.

Finally, for the ink and paper you'll just have to try it. SU WW doesn't work that well though (hard to blend) but there are plenty of other papers that do work. I haven't tried Versamark, but do you mean Versafine Archival Onyx Black? If so, that does work as long as you heat set it or let it dry a long time first.

Ooops, sorry, i always calls versafine, Versamark-stupid me. I will give it a go-all i have at the moment that will be OK.

You are being so kind. Your card's amazing, so pretty. Your card and your colouring is everything I long to do with Copics, it's why I continue to struggle to understand and annoy you all! This is what i want to be able to do-you are helping me so much to get at least a chance to try and have a go. Thanks for all the help-the colours relating to the card really help and thanks for the hair info too. You have been a great help and endlessly patient. Thank you.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #2147
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to 20something

Just wanted to subscribe...I consider my coloring pretty good, but I haven't done any kind of certification or anything. It's always great to pick up new things here or there!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #2148
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thank you. I've been looking at that site today at the black and grey bits and cards and ink. I think my head is overwhelmed as alot of it is amazingly helpful and I get the grey bit now, but re: cards and ink I found I was still confused. (No hope for me).

Versamark seems to be Ok when embossed yes! even my daughter's washable black ink works, so there are several that will doand some people think Whisper White is OK but being coated it may not work very well It's usable, just harder to blend, so for a newbie you might want to try something else...can you get Neenah or Georgia Pacific there?. The papertrey which i thought everyone recommended may be too thick-that's good really as shipping to the UK is SO expensive! Phew! Can I do Whisper White or would another white uncoated card be OK?

Do the little memento ink pads work-the ones like the colorbox chalks size? Is black tuxedo the one? I think i can get one of these you see. oh yes, Memento ink is the same in the pad or the little cat's eye size

I shall stick with the few i've already ordered-and see what they are like when they arrive. Can I be a pain and ask a couple more things?

Am i right in understanding that if I say get (just making numbers and letters up here) A56 and A57 and A59-they would blend? yes If I wanted to keep to the same colour range-ie pastels, I would need to get colours with the same numbers so say R56, 57 and 59 and Y56, 57 and 59? They would all look good together as similar shades so to speak? I'm not sure about this...the first number refers to the shade but I'm not sure the two color families are going to necessarily be the same, KWIM? perhaps someone else knows this one

Am i better off getting the 00, 02 and say 03 of like & use the mostwell it's confusing but in SOME color families there is actually a lighter shade than the "00!" but in general, you could do this in the colors you'd use the most--except I'd say 04 not 03 So in blue, red, yellow, grey etc? Would that be best for a beginner-start light, they'd blend as near to each other but not be too bold and hard to control?

I am sorry for being a bore here, I can't work this out myself and even with blogs I still am getting it wrong. Once I've got the basics I can probably see for myself what i need to fill the gaps but I really want to get the basics that will cover my needs so i don't lose hope and any remaining confidence i may have!
I'm in red up above

Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #2149
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
wow, gorgeous card!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #2150
Kookie Creator

This will help explain it a little clearer. I'd keep a larger number difference on the last digit to get a range of colors that will blend. Colors that are only one number off won't show much difference, especially when blended.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...-families.html

HTH!

Quote:

Versamark seems to be Ok when embossed and some people think Whisper White is OK but being coated it may not work very well. The papertrey which i thought everyone recommended may be too thick-that's good really as shipping to the UK is SO expensive! Phew! Can I do Whisper White or would another white uncoated card be OK?

Do the little memento ink pads work-the ones like the colorbox chalks size? Is black tuxedo the one? I think i can get one of these you see.

Am i right in understanding that if I say get (just making numbers and letters up here) A56 and A57 and A59-they would blend? If I wanted to keep to the same colour range-ie pastels, I would need to get colours with the same numbers so say R56, 57 and 59 and Y56, 57 and 59? They would all look good together as similar shades so to speak?

Am i better off getting the 00, 02 and say 03 of each colour then to start? So in blue, red, yellow, grey etc? Would that be best for a beginner-start light, they'd blend as near to each other but not be too bold and hard to control?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #2151
Matboard Maniac

You are all so kind to me thank you. I must be wearing you out! I have a law degree and getting that was easier than understanding Copics!! The trouble is they're so rarely used here in the UK that no one knows much about them so it's hard to get any info. I will have a good read and I think I'm finally getting somewhere in my head! The excitement is coming back and I'm feeling a bit more ooo! inside!

Cardstock remains a problem though. I don't think I can get any of those mentioned, i heard the Copic paper is very thin so wouldn't it be OK to matt onto cards as it may be all I can use other than trying Whisper White. To get papertrey to deliver the minimum weight is something like $25 just for shipping. It's too expensive especially as card is costly so shipping several packs would be even more. Will run of the mill card-even cardblanks cut up not work-think I'll have to try as per the blogs i've seen.

Thank you as ever.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #2152
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
That is a STUNNING card! Great job on the flower pots!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #2153

Quote:
Thank you for all the advice Lynn. You raised a good point. If i'm not going to use them tonnes maybe I should get the ciao. i'll never be able to afford to buys lots-say 100 or so, so maybe the limited colour in ciao wouldn't matter. the inks the same in each, just need to check if the ciao nibs are Ok.

I wonder if that's the way.I can get more then quicker and as I'll be forever an amateur maybe Ciao are for me?

I read on people's blogs that they use all three kinds so if i decide i really love them i can switch over to the Sketch anyway, but I can't see me ever using the spray and maybe the Ciao offer me better value and a better way of trying Copics per se?

Lynn you've made me think and I think I'll try the Ciao first at least. I can get a few and see, thanks for the colour comments too. I see that you need at least 3 to blend though still not certain how near they need to be in numbers say if you get A11, do you then get A12 and A13 or jump the 2/3 numbers I've read about? Sometimes say A11 is very pale and A14 seems alot different and you can't imagine blending them. The E11 scares me as it looks dark but i've read it used many times for skin so will reply on expert advice! If they do these in the Ciao of course-off to have a look.

THANK YOU!
I went with Ciao too. I can't ever see needing over 300 colours and I figure if there is the odd Sketch that is just the right colour I can get one or two.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #2154
Pearl-ExPert

anyone interested in a copic class at this stamp store http://www.inkspotofnatalie.com/ in kirkwood, MO on sat, april 18th or sat, april 25th? cost is $25 and you just need to have your own supply of markers...about 20...with shading options. she will set up a class if we have at least 4 people. PM me!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #2155

Quote:

Attachment 139901

Good luck!
That is AWESOME "black" hair! Great job!
Old 03-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #2156
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You are all so kind to me thank you. I must be wearing you out! I have a law degree and getting that was easier than understanding Copics!! The trouble is they're so rarely used here in the UK that no one knows much about them so it's hard to get any info. I will have a good read and I think I'm finally getting somewhere in my head! The excitement is coming back and I'm feeling a bit more ooo! inside!

Cardstock remains a problem though. I don't think I can get any of those mentioned, i heard the Copic paper is very thin so wouldn't it be OK to matt onto cards as it may be all I can use other than trying Whisper White. To get papertrey to deliver the minimum weight is something like $25 just for shipping. It's too expensive especially as card is costly so shipping several packs would be even more. Will run of the mill card-even cardblanks cut up not work-think I'll have to try as per the blogs i've seen.

Thank you as ever.
You're very welcome! Your British accent comes through even on paper, so polite
I was where you are, once, too!
You can do with SU whisper white, just keep in mind if you don't like it that maybe you should try a different paper before you give up on Copics
Do share your creations!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #2157
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Attachment 139901

Good luck!
She's gorgeous. You did a great job on her hair and it really looks black.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #2158
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
I use Papertrey white card stock and Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

A great tip I got from someone here (sorry I can't remember who) was to use Versafine Onyx Black ink and detail CLEAR EP to help from going outside the lines when coloring. It works very well and it looks really pretty!

** For some reason (I do not know why), it is the metallic EP that causes problems but not the CLEAR!

I am storing mine HORIZONTALLY because I read here that someone is having a problem with one end drying out. I am not taking any chances. These "babies" are just too expensive to fool around with! LOL!

www.oozak.com has GOT to be the ABSOLUTE BEST source for purchasing Copics. They have the cheapest prices I have found, the shipping is so fast that is amazing! They so very nice to deal with. My computer would not allow me to check out on the site ( even the guy from oozak did not know why and he talked me throught the steps and it still didn't work!), so he took my order over the phone. He told me it would ship that same day and it got to my home in 1 day! They are in Michigan and I am in NJ!

*True, I know they sell out FAST with many colors but if you can get them, they are worth buying at Oozak.

*** PLUS, FREE shipping with a $50 order!!
I got my markers at OOZAK too, totally happy with the service and prices. Shipped to Canada within a week!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #2159
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the chart from COPICmarkerS.com that shows the colors in the different sets but is there a chart that shows the colors in the different *families*?...on this one I have to look at each *set* for the lets say RV12 and then RV 17 may be in the other set...hope it's not too confusing..

thanks...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #2160
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodebi View Post
I have the chart from COPICmarkerS.com that shows the colors in the different sets but is there a chart that shows the colors in the different *families*?...on this one I have to look at each *set* for the lets say RV12 and then RV 17 may be in the other set...hope it's not too confusing..

thanks...
Yes, there's one that has all of the Sketch marker colors, arranged by color families. But I'm not sure where I got that one...maybe I can attach it.
There's also the "wheel" in the "library" that shows how close they are to each other...
http://www.copicmarker.com/updated%2...%20VERSION.pdf

HTH~