Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #2041
Mad Swapper

Aww.. Erin, I feel your pain. If you give them the okay, why can't they leave them? How frustrating! I am waiting for more Copics too, but I am anxious for a different reason. I had a coupon so I ordered a 12 pack from one vendor. Then I found out about the sale at KraftyKrafts, so I ordered some more. Trouble is I forgot what colors were in the first order. Ack! I sure hope there aren't doubles. I feel so stupid!

My Blog: Stamp Pretty
My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #2042
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kissy View Post
I just wanted to vent to people who would understand.

I ordered 51 sketch markers from carpediem last week. They were supposed to arrive today, I've been stalking the fedex tracking number all day. I work an hour a day, babysitting for some kids after school, fedex was here while I was at work. They didn't leave them, signature required.

I asked them to leave them tomorrow anyway, since they said they'd be by again at the same time most likely They said, no, signature required no exceptions So my only hope is that they try to deliver them a little earlier or a little later than they did today. I'm only gone an hour, gees, what are the chances. I want my markers, I am sad that they are on a truck with nobody loving them

Erin
That's strange. I've ordered a number of times (4 or 5) from them and have never had to have a signature to get them. They just leave the box on my front porch. Did you set it up that way?
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #2043
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Paper Kissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
That's strange. I've ordered a number of times (4 or 5) from them and have never had to have a signature to get them. They just leave the box on my front porch. Did you set it up that way?

This is my second order from carpediem, the last one contained 26 markers...and did NOT require a signature. My only guess is that it's determined by value. The order was a little over $200 for the one I was supposed to get today.

Thanks for the sympathies though

Erin
Old 03-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #2044
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I just wanted to vent to people who would understand.

I ordered 51 sketch markers from carpediem last week. They were supposed to arrive today, I've been stalking the fedex tracking number all day. I work an hour a day, babysitting for some kids after school, fedex was here while I was at work. They didn't leave them, signature required.

I asked them to leave them tomorrow anyway, since they said they'd be by again at the same time most likely They said, no, signature required no exceptions So my only hope is that they try to deliver them a little earlier or a little later than they did today. I'm only gone an hour, gees, what are the chances. I want my markers, I am sad that they are on a truck with nobody loving them

Erin
We've had this issue with UPS (not for Copic packages). Our UPS facility is relatively close, so we call customer service and tell them not to redeliver. We ask them to keep the package at the facility for us to pick up. That way we can pick it up at our convenience and not have to worry about missing the delivery again. I feel your pain. At least the markers have each other in the package.
Wish RAK Mentor
Old 03-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #2045
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
This is my second order from carpediem, the last one contained 26 markers...and did NOT require a signature. My only guess is that it's determined by value. The order was a little over $200 for the one I was supposed to get today.

Erin
This may not be very convenient, but you can go and pick them up at FedEx instead of waiting for them to redeliver (but you have to tell them that, so they don't put it on the truck the next morning). I'm surprised they wouldn't let you sign the release form and leave it on your door, I've done that before. Did you call 1-800-GOFEDEX? Maybe try speaking to someone else! Or, the local office instead?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #2046
Kookie Creator

I had worries about the same issue today. I was expecting a big Copic delivery today from DickBlick, coming FedEx. I work 2.5 hours a day at the elementary school and I was worried they would try to deliver it while I was gone and want a signature (it was a BIG order! Yeah!) but when I got home it was sitting on my porch. So now I am happily organizing and filling in my chart!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #2047
Cardstock Collector

Hello,

I am VERY new to stamping!! I see Copic markers everywhere in sites. I went to their website, but there are many different types. What types do you suggest for stamping?? Sorry if the answer is posted somewhere else - Newbie.
Thanks for any help!!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #2048
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Erin
That could be a reason, but usually if you sign some form that it's okay to leave the package, they'll go ahead and do that. Sorry, I hope you get your order tomorrow.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #2049
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcruella View Post
Hello,

I am VERY new to stamping!! I see Copic markers everywhere in sites. I went to their website, but there are many different types. What types do you suggest for stamping?? Sorry if the answer is posted somewhere else - Newbie.
Thanks for any help!!
There are 3 different kinds - Original, Ciao, and Sketch. Sketch has the most colors and is oval so it doesn't roll off your table; Ciao are similar to Sketch, but not as many colors and doesn't hold as much ink and is round. The Original's have different nibs. The Sketch and I think the Ciao have the brush nibs. I have 99% Sketch and a few originals that a friend of mine got me at a discount before I knew anything about Copics.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #2050
Glitter Queen

Default FedEx Home Delivery

Quote:

Erin
You're right that the value determines whether or not a signature is required. Anything over $200 has to have a signature.

The free shipping from Carpe Diem is via FedEx Home Delivery®, which is different than regular FedEx. I believe it's operated by independent owner/operators. When I was waiting for a package from Carepe Diem, I called FedEx to see if I could pick it up from the depot; they said Home Delivery doesn't operate out of the same facility and they couldn't transfer it to a "regular" FedEx place.

They're a pain in the patootie... it took three extra days to get my Copics. Fortunately, they deliver on Saturdays, so that's how I was finally able to connect with them.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #2051
Stampin' Fool

Worse case, I will get them Friday, I am not working that day, but I wanted to be happily organizing and filling in my chart today too lol. Oh well, perhaps Lost will distract me

Erin
Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #2052
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Worse case, I will get them Friday, I am not working that day, but I wanted to be happily organizing and filling in my chart today too lol. Oh well, perhaps Lost will distract me

Erin
Oh, LOST is AWESOME! Confusing, but awesome!
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #2053
Polyshrink Goddess

LOVE YOUR IMAGES.... Keep going and then I'll know what I need...

On the angel I was going to color her dress, etc a color and then make the wings, etc shine..do they in person with the clear spica?....I don't have that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
Here are a couple I tried last night...you can't tell in the photos but I used a clear Spica on the wings and some other details, and Sakura gelly roll pens on the umbrella, raincoat, etc. and on the flower words/black dots.
I tried a yellow shadow (I don't remember what color, it may have been Neopiko Pale Yellow, or YR00) to make her look like she was glowing, but I don't know if I like it...what do you think? Any suggestions for the white?
(btw I used BG10 on Changito and W2 on Belinda Bumbleboots for the shadowing, and C2 layered over BG10 on the angel wings)
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #2054
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Here are a couple I tried last night...you can't tell in the photos but I used a clear Spica on the wings and some other details, and Sakura gelly roll pens on the umbrella, raincoat, etc. and on the flower words/black dots.
I tried a yellow shadow (I don't remember what color, it may have been Neopiko Pale Yellow, or YR00) to make her look like she was glowing, but I don't know if I like it...what do you think? Any suggestions for the white?
(btw I used BG10 on Changito and W2 on Belinda Bumbleboots for the shadowing, and C2 layered over BG10 on the angel wings)
WOW.............those are all really great.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #2055
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp

Quote:
Great job! I love your coloring!!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #2056
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks you guys! practice practice practice LOL

The Spica seemed shiny when I first put it on, but the next day when I took the pictures I could not see it! Then, in different light, I could see it, but barely. So it is very subtle.
Yesterday I did another one and used an almost clear glitter glue (it is actually a fabric glue by Tulip!) and it was MUCH better...not overwhelming like Stickles or actual glitter would be, but more sparkly than the Spica. Spica is nice to use, but almost too subtle for my taste.
Unless someone else has some tips on using the Spica to make it show up more?!

Here's another one with the Spica, taken closer so you can see it a tad on the middle row of flowers (it's on the wings, necklace, etc too but you can't see it in this photo)...
And an angel with colored pants, just to see how it looks...I did the shadows on the wrong side I think so just ignore that!
Attached Thumbnails
cards-018.jpg   cards-009.jpg  

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 03-19-2009 at 07:23 AM..
Old 03-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #2057
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's the one with the Tulip shimmer. The light was a little bluish but you can see the shimmer at least. I tried to shade more on this one (RV10 and RV13, RV17 on the trims), still need work on that! There is RV000 on the wings IRL.

Any tips on making something glow?! I tried doing the "rays" and I don't like it. I used a yellow "shadow" on her face near the candles and gray on the rest (I think it was C2 but I'm not positive)
Attached Thumbnails
cards-032.jpg  

Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #2058
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Here's the one with the Tulip shimmer. The light was a little bluish but you can see the shimmer at least. I tried to shade more on this one (RV10 and RV13, RV17 on the trims), still need work on that! There is RV000 on the wings IRL.

Any tips on making something glow?! I tried doing the "rays" and I don't like it. I used a yellow "shadow" on her face near the candles and gray on the rest (I think it was C2 but I'm not positive)
I got a "how to" book on manga for some coloring tips and the glow they did is quite harsh. The thing is the rest of the background needs to be filled in darker to make the glow show up more and the parts the glow hits need to be lighter and of course there are the shadows cast by the glow etc. HTH

Personally for a card I would probably stick with the glow you did - if I were doing artwork I may do more of a manga style... I guess it could be a situation where an airbrush system would help to fade out the color... HMMM

By the way your coloring is really good but I think I already told you that!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #2059
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I got a "how to" book on manga for some coloring tips and the glow they did is quite harsh. The thing is the rest of the background needs to be filled in darker to make the glow show up more and the parts the glow hits need to be lighter and of course there are the shadows cast by the glow etc. HTH

Personally for a card I would probably stick with the glow you did - if I were doing artwork I may do more of a manga style... I guess it could be a situation where an airbrush system would help to fade out the color... HMMM

By the way your coloring is really good but I think I already told you that!
Thanks, I don't mind hearing it again
Thanks for the tips, too...makes sense, maybe I'll look up a manga book. You also reminded me, I could have used chalk instead (although I haven't perfected THAT, either, at least it's softer looking). I get so caught up in the markers that I forget other options!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #2060
Pearl-ExPert

Ohhh...is there such a thing as a GLOW pen? Like glow in the dark ink??
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #2061
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Very cute.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #2062
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
Ohhh...is there such a thing as a GLOW pen? Like glow in the dark ink??
Hmm, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I wonder if the fluorescent Copics would work like that a little?
I know there's PAINT that is glow in the dark...

Old 03-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #2063
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Yahoo to Suzy_H

Quote:

Barium Yellow! I used it for a light glow on this card:
http://blog.papermonkey.org/index/20...ly-trails.html

I think it shows up a bit in the close up photo (double click to enlarge then it shows a bit), but it is a very sheer light yellow. In person this looks like a lovely soft glow. The dang camera didnt pick it up well.

I fade that into darker yellows and then use a colorless blender pen, but for easy I just used barium here.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #2064
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_H View Post
Barium Yellow! I used it for a light glow on this card:
http://blog.papermonkey.org/index/20...ly-trails.html

I think it shows up a bit in the close up photo (double click to enlarge then it shows a bit), but it is a very sheer light yellow. In person this looks like a lovely soft glow. The dang camera didnt pick it up well.

I fade that into darker yellows and then use a colorless blender pen, but for easy I just used barium here.
Beautiful card! I think that's actually what I used (at least, I tried it, may have gone over it with something else)...I just wasn't sure if I should do "rays" or a half circle or what...

Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #2065
Embossing Fanatic

Default Ink pads that do; ink pads that don't

Hi All,

I'm new to Splitcoaststampers and new to copic markers but not new to stamping. For you Copic Subject Matter experts I have two questions:

1. Ink Pads: Will you share a list of ink pads that don't bleed or blur and also those that lose their sharp image and don't work so well?

2. Cardstock: Are you using total a heavily absorbant paper, or something with a little bit of coating to it? Anyone ever try plastic coated cardstock?

I look forward to experimenting once my copics arrive in the mail, but would love to hear from ya'll in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #2066
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabeth View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to Splitcoaststampers and new to copic markers but not new to stamping. For you Copic Subject Matter experts I have two questions:

1. Ink Pads: Will you share a list of ink pads that don't bleed or blur and also those that lose their sharp image and don't work so well?

2. Cardstock: Are you using total a heavily absorbant paper, or something with a little bit of coating to it? Anyone ever try plastic coated cardstock?

I look forward to experimenting once my copics arrive in the mail, but would love to hear from ya'll in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!!
Hi,

The inks that are most recommended are:

By far #1: Memento ink in Tuxedo Black
Closely followed by: Palette Noir ink, Ranger Distress ink in Black Soot.

The inks you should NOT use are: Staz-ON!!! Do not use ANY waterproof inks with alcohol-based markers like Copics.

I have heard the best cardstock to use is the Neenah Solar White. A lot of people like the white from Papertrey Inc as well, and some people recommend some of the Gina K. cardstock.

Good luck, HTH!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #2067
Inking Addict

Have I read somewhere in the 100's of pages of copic threads that there is a chart you can color in as you purchase markers? Maybe I'm dreaming - if so - can I get ideas of how to keep up with what I buy? Strange, I know.....
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #2068
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by croppingjuju View Post
Have I read somewhere in the 100's of pages of copic threads that there is a chart you can color in as you purchase markers? Maybe I'm dreaming - if so - can I get ideas of how to keep up with what I buy? Strange, I know.....
I think this is what you are looking for...

Copic Chart.pdf

I'm a Bella Babe!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #2069
Stampin' Fool

I finally got my markers, I had to go pick them up at the Fedex facility. Booo.

WHAT is it with these things that the second you get a shipment in your house and charted and put away you instantly start planning out which ones you need next lol?

Erin
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #2070
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2mckinl View Post
I think this is what you are looking for...

Attachment 139248

Great - thank you.....

Is there a list of markers to get as a beginner posted anywhere?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #2071
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

WHAT is it with these things that the second you get a shipment in your house and charted and put away you instantly start planning out which ones you need next lol?

Erin
Haha that is how i am..i think i have enough for now. I want the multiliner's now..happy coloring
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #2072
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Erin
LOL!

And that my dear is why I just went straight for the jugular and ordered ALL the Ciao's. I got a good deal and containers so I am happy.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #2073
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Great - thank you.....

It all just depends on what you color.

If you do people then you need skin/hair tones
Animals then you need fur tones
Landscapes greens and blues etc.

My advice if you are going to start collecting one or two at a time is try to get three in near colors as light as you can - I would stay in the 01's, 10's, 20's, 30's and the lower numbers in those.

Also my most used colors are my greys and I have those (every other number) right up to a dark nearly black.

and I love my colorless blender.

www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com has a wealthy of information too.

HTH
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #2074
Stampin' Fool

I just put some markers and other goodies on buy/sell board
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #2075
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Erin
It'll be that way til you have them all.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #2076
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabeth View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!!
Just wanted to say Jenabeth, have fun with your Copics. I'm loving mine. One suggestion is that you change the font for your posts so the letters are a little larger. It's kind of hard for my old eyes to read your post.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 AM   #2077
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Great - thank you.....

I have a suggestion list on my blog...if you click January (I think...possibly February) look for Starting With Copics.

It's just a basic list of my most used colors that work well together...and god forbid I have to give up all but 25, those would be the ones.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 01-06-2011 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: blog reference: Please share your personal list within the thread. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #2078
Quacker Stamper

Hi ladies. I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week. I thought I'd take some images to play with and some of my Copic markers. I have about 120 of them, so I really can't take them all. Just wondered what you thought would be a good mix.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #2079
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liann View Post
Haha that is how i am..i think i have enough for now. I want the multiliner's now..happy coloring
Ypu will love the multiliners too!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #2080
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpaper2 View Post
Ypu will love the multiliners too!
yeah, I have them in every color