Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #561
Polyshrink Goddess

I took a class by a certified instructor. Try picking three that vary only by the last number.... like G21, G24, G28. Then another color in the 2's like B26. (or pick another "first number" to work within.) Then pick another couple in another number entirely R81, R85. Bring your colorless blender if you have one. oh, and my class wasn't long enough but you may get into shading so bring a warm and cool gray if you have those too. At a count of 200 you must! (I'm at approx 120 and I do!) We also played a bit with the spicas...

And then make sure you have an assortment of tips. Brush, chisel and round all have different effects and techniques so it will be fun to try them if they get into it!

And then since you are so well prepared Mark your Markers so that yours all come home with you! I think the pens will write on themselves.....and then come clean with colorless blender or hand sanitizer if you don't want it to be permanent. or just use a sticker on your pens for the class.

HTH
Old 01-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #562
Stampin' Fool

Question

But I thought the copics classes were only for teachers (I am assuming stamping or art teachers only), demonsrtratores and store owners.

Does any place offer copics classes for the average stamper?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #563
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, now I'm confused. I have several sketch and one caio. One end is chisel, what's the other one called. Is it a brush or round??
Old 01-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #564
Total Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ4417 View Post
Ok, now I'm confused. I have several sketch and one caio. One end is chisel, what's the other one called. Is it a brush or round??

Mine are all with the chisel on one end and the brush on the other.

Photography Site

Old 01-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #565
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
But I thought the copics classes were only for teachers (I am assuming stamping or art teachers only), demonsrtratores and store owners.

As I understand when class is open it's open for store owners, designers, design team members, teachers, instructors
after certain time if there are spots left they will open it to demos.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #566
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The 'actual' copic classes are intended for store owners and to certify them to teach their own classes! So i took one from a "certified instructor"...not someone who actually works for copic....

Is there someplace local that keeps copic in stock? They may have classes offered.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #567
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the info. I am not a demo so I still have no class available to me, I guess. No way would my local Michaels or A.C. Moore offer a class on copics! LOL! They don't even SELL them and probably never heard of them, either.

I just keep looking for ino here and on youtube. I'm doing the best I can but it would be nice if someone who really knows what they are doing was availbale to look at what I do and that way I can see if I'm on the right track. That's why I was looking for a class.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #568
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ4417 View Post

Sketch and ciao do have the same tips. One end is chisel and the other is actually the "super brush". It will bend and give a bit as if it was made up of bristles. (OT- I seem to be using a lot of quotes tonight)

A round end is something more like a fine tip. But some come much thicker than fine...hence the round. This is a solid tip like the chisel, but looks circular from the end.

There is a great graphic that shows all the nibs for all the pens on one page.

http://www.copicmarker.com/library.html
On the upper left of the screen is the 2008/2009 catalog for copic. Go to page 12

Take note that the super brush is not available for copic/original. There is a brush replacement but it is not as large and certainly not as flexible. You can remove your nibs and replace them with fresh ones as long as they are compatible with your marker according to the chart and I'm not sure if some of them only fit onto one end? Confirm before you buy. (But if you are ever going to use the airbrush system, that is a good reason to hold onto your chisel tips if you replace them!)
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #569
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am not a demo so I still have no class available to me, I guess. No way would my local Michaels or A.C. Moore offer a class on copics! LOL! They don't even SELL them and probably never heard of them, either.

I just keep looking for ino here and on youtube. I'm doing the best I can but it would be nice if someone who really knows what they are doing was availbale to look at what I do and that way I can see if I'm on the right track. That's why I was looking for a class.
I'm sure this has been hammered around through this thread, but have you looked at Marianne's blog? Honestly, after reading her earlier posts....I could hear her voice echoing through my local class. (She certified under her.)

You can self teach, I promise! Also check out http://www.copicmarker.com/library.html on the upper right there is a stampers guide to copics. Most of the tips in the class are listed right there!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #570
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Yahoo to christy1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyStamper View Post
I'm sure this has been hammered around through this thread, but have you looked at Marianne's blog? Honestly, after reading her earlier posts....I could hear her voice echoing through my local class. (She certified under her.)

You can self teach, I promise! Also check out http://www.copicmarker.com/library.html on the upper right there is a stampers guide to copics. Most of the tips in the class are listed right there!
Very helpful!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #571
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I took a class by a certified instructor. Try picking three that vary only by the last number.... like G21, G24, G28. Then another color in the 2's like B26. (or pick another "first number" to work within.) Then pick another couple in another number entirely R81, R85. Bring your colorless blender if you have one. oh, and my class wasn't long enough but you may get into shading so bring a warm and cool gray if you have those too. At a count of 200 you must! (I'm at approx 120 and I do!) We also played a bit with the spicas...

And then make sure you have an assortment of tips. Brush, chisel and round all have different effects and techniques so it will be fun to try them if they get into it!

And then since you are so well prepared Mark your Markers so that yours all come home with you! I think the pens will write on themselves.....and then come clean with colorless blender or hand sanitizer if you don't want it to be permanent. or just use a sticker on your pens for the class.

HTH

Thanks for the tips. This class is too is being taught by a "certified instructor". It sounds like it might be similiar to the one you took. What exactly were some of the things they covered?

Unfortunately the one in my area on March 1st that is being taught by Marianne herself is full. I tried to get into that one, but like you said it is for store owners, instructors, etc. and there was no room left for the "average Joe".

I'm sure I'll agree with you when it's done that it was too short. But I'm hoping if I come away with one or two things I'll be happy. I'm actually taking a personal day from work so I can attend. But even a "bad" day stamping beats a "good" day at work anytime.

As previously mentioned if you have a LSS check and see if they offer a copic class. I also keep meaning to call the Blick store by me and see if they offer a class as well. Does anyone know if Blick offers Copic classes?

My new BLOG
Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #572
Polyshrink Goddess

Youngest kiddo just woke up....so I'll come back to post some details of the class later or tomorrow. Maybe even type up a tip sheet. Could be fun and a good reminder!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #573
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Youngest kiddo just woke up....so I'll come back to post some details of the class later or tomorrow. Maybe even type up a tip sheet. Could be fun and a good reminder!
Thanks - I'll be looking forward to it.

My new BLOG
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #574
Pearl-ExPert

could you very helpful copic users tell me if your two olives, YG97 and G99, blend or clash???

thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #575
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Hi...Kaufeestamper sent me over......
I have 11 Copics currently and need to learn more. So I'll be 'stalking' ...LOL!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #576
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cjbapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
could you very helpful copic users tell me if your two olives, YG97 and G99, blend or clash???

thanks in advance!
I don't have G99, but G95 (lighter) is GREEN...not olive colored at all.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #577
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMarie View Post
Hi...Kaufeestamper sent me over......
I have 11 Copics currently and need to learn more. So I'll be 'stalking' ...LOL!
Hey Jen Marie!! Nice to see you here! Be careful, these copics are SO addicting!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #578
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama View Post
Hey Jen Marie!! Nice to see you here! Be careful, these copics are SO addicting!
Hey Susan! Haven't seen you since PIFing a while ago! Good to see ya!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #579
Stampin' Fool

I am feeling torn. I am really trying to save money, etc. So as I look at my crafting things in general and my Copics, I see duplicates. They may be subtle but they are nearly the same.
Do I really need B06 and B16? G05 and G14? They are so close.
I may have to go through and sell a few, I just don't know.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #580
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysnowflake View Post
I am feeling torn. I am really trying to save money, etc. So as I look at my crafting things in general and my Copics, I see duplicates. They may be subtle but they are nearly the same.
Do I really need B06 and B16? G05 and G14? They are so close.
I may have to go through and sell a few, I just don't know.
I have many that are very close in color, but I figure down the road when pens start to need re-inking I will be able to reduce the need for buying the refill containers, which cost about as much as the pens. Weak justification, perhaps, but it works for me!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #581
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamper View Post
I have many that are very close in color, but I figure down the road when pens start to need re-inking I will be able to reduce the need for buying the refill containers, which cost about as much as the pens. Weak justification, perhaps, but it works for me!
I like your reasoning! I would imagine there is more ink in a reinker for the same price but what the heck, now we have slightly different colors! lol
My husband is rolling his eyes.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #582
Pearl-ExPert

another question...there are so many greys! cool, warm, neutral....confused!

i have N2 for shadows

i have W10 that blends well with black

now i need a couple for blending together for metal objects...like espresso tins and buckets and whatnot. any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #583
Cardstock Collector

Default I need advice about copic markers before buying them

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama View Post
I am just beginning to use these markers and just love them! I haven't been obsessed about a product since, well, since I discovered stamping.

I know that there are tons of threads on here about Copic markers but I thought it would be fun to have a "Copic Chatter" like there is a "Cricut Chatter".

So let's talk about the Best place to buy, Best Inkpad, Best Cardstock your most used Colors, Storage ideas, your tried and true tips and share your creations!
I have heard so much about these markers, so can you tell me which ones to buy to get me started off on the right foot (or right hand). Martha
Old 01-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #584
Pearl-ExPert

Default billy!

my first copics card attached.

i'm limited in colors b/c i want to trade/sell off my brand new ciao's. i picked SU colors and love them...but i already had a few sketch and decided i would like to stick to one style. if anyone wants a handful of new ciao's......
Attached Thumbnails
billy-frog.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #585
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

i'm limited in colors b/c i want to trade/sell off my brand new ciao's. i picked SU colors and love them...but i already had a few sketch and decided i would like to stick to one style. if anyone wants a handful of new ciao's......
Very cute!! Love that stamp.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #586
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

OK, now I'm really inspired to get going. I've got a collection of Copics now and I've dabbled a bit, but I think I'm ready! Thanks for this darling card and the momentum to make a whole card! LOL!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #587
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
OK, now I'm really inspired to get going. I've got a collection of Copics now and I've dabbled a bit, but I think I'm ready! Thanks for this darling card and the momentum to make a whole card! LOL!
LOL...yes, i've stamped and colored this image about 20 times. it was TIME to actually make a card! good luck with yours and you must share the finished product with us!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #588
Matboard Maniac

Sent you a pm!

Quote:

Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #589
Matboard Maniac

Another question: Are the same colors available for the ciaos as with the sketch markers? Or is there a separate line of colors for each style?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #590
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I wouldn't be able to tell that it's your first Copic card. It really is so cute! Great job with the coloring.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #591
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBecause View Post
Another question: Are the same colors available for the ciaos as with the sketch markers? Or is there a separate line of colors for each style?
The Sketch markers definitely have more colors than the Ciao markers. Here are the charts from the Carpe Diem Store. The Sketch markers are two pages long.

Copic Ciaos: click here

Copic Sketch: click here
Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #592
Pearl-ExPert

thanks guys for the nice comments. you make me wanna keep colorin!

also, i did trade off my ciao's but thank you for all the interest.

lastly, diana...i was thrilled to know that the color codes are the same for ciao and sketch. ciao has the same colors that sketch does. but sketch just has a lot more that are NOT in ciao. at least i THINK that is the deal and i hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #593
First To Quack

Question: has anyone had their copics drop a blob of ink on the image while coloring? About midway thru coloring my lilacs my RV19 just let loose with a big drop of ink. It didn't hurt anything but I was surprised as this is the first time that happened.

Cards from the Cabana
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #594
Matboard Maniac

Thanks guys for letting me know about the color choices for Ciaos vs Sketch!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #595
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Question: has anyone had their copics drop a blob of ink on the image while coloring? About midway thru coloring my lilacs my RV19 just let loose with a big drop of ink. It didn't hurt anything but I was surprised as this is the first time that happened.
Yes, I had that happen. I forget which one it was but it surprised the heck out of me! I just saw $$$ signs as it happened! lol It was just that once last week, and only 1 markers so far. I let it rest and it didn't happen again so that was good.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #596
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
Yes, and it's a common problem. My first set of Copics were delivered directly from Japan. After being on the plane, there was the problem of "air pressure." So, Marianne recommended that I take off the caps (on both ends of the marker) and leave them off for a few minutes to make sure that the air pressure stabilizes. I took off all 144 caps and left them off for 20 minutes. I haven't had the problem since. HTH
Old 02-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #597
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
another question...there are so many greys! cool, warm, neutral....confused!

i have N2 for shadows

i have W10 that blends well with black

now i need a couple for blending together for metal objects...like espresso tins and buckets and whatnot. any suggestions?

The best way to think about them is what you will be highlighting and shadowing....cools are for things that may look metallic....warm for more organic things like wood and flowers.

Just a broad look at things...
Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #598
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't gotten to the tipsheet. Yesterday was DS b-day and today people are coming over for the big game. I haven't forgotten!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #599
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

I am so sorry guys if this has been asked, but I can't read through eleven pages of thread....Does anyone use a copic blender pen, where do I get it? I only have thirteen copics, but have joined a copic club from Sweet N Sassy Stamps. I want a blender pen, but I have looked everywhere and cannot find one.
The other question, does anyone have a sheet of what copics match the SU colors? thanks *~*
Mojo Monday and Verve
Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #600
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I haven't gotten to the tipsheet. Yesterday was DS b-day and today people are coming over for the big game. I haven't forgotten!
No problem - My class iisn't until the 11th and I just stopped here for a minute. We have friends coming over as well. Enjoy the game!

My new BLOG