In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Rubber Obsessor
 
MamaAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 153
Send a message via AIM to MamaAce Send a message via Skype™ to MamaAce
Default Coloring on rhinestones

Greetings all.

I was told you color on the SU! Rhinestones to change the color, but how do you make the color not rub off?

Tia
__________________
Jamee aka MamaAce
Mom by day, Actress by night and Mad Stamper somewhere in between!!
My Gallery
MamaAce is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Default

I've used Sharpies with success.
tucsonmom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor
 
MamaAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 153
Send a message via AIM to MamaAce Send a message via Skype™ to MamaAce
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonmom View Post
I've used Sharpies with success.
Now why didn't I think of that? Thank you.
__________________
Jamee aka MamaAce
Mom by day, Actress by night and Mad Stamper somewhere in between!!
My Gallery
MamaAce is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,659
Default

Yes, I've used Sharpies, also Bics, and really any kind of alcohol based permanent marker, like Copics, etc.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,436
Default

The colour won't come off with normal wear, but it can be scratched off. If you think the rhinestone will be under some constant abuse, you could clear coat it with something like varnish or clear nailpolish.
cat_woman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva
 
uncbballfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Carolina Blue sky...
Posts: 3,374
Default

I have Copics, but I like to use Sharpies or Bics to color rhinestones; the Copics leave a gummy, sticky feel. But I like the idea of coating them. I use Diamond Glaze or Glossy Accents, and found the neatest idea on You Tube: I cleaned an old nail polish bottle very well, and poured Diamond Glaze into it. The best part? The brush is ready, and when you're finished, goes right back into the bottle. I ruined a couple of my good paint brushes when I forgot to clean the Diamond Glaze from them.

And not that this happened to me (lol)... but clean your nail polish bottle very well. I had some clear top coat, must not have gotten all of it out before I poured the Diamond Glaze into the bottle. When I tried to brush the DG onto paper beads, the glaze had thickened and wouldn't spread; some of the DG had congealed inside the bottle. Had to pour out the DG and start over. This time, I used nail polish remover to completely clean the bottle and the brush, rinsed with warm water; let it dry and started again. Works like a charm!
__________________
Linda - Proud Air Force Mom
uncbballfan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor
 
MamaAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 153
Send a message via AIM to MamaAce Send a message via Skype™ to MamaAce
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
The colour won't come off with normal wear, but it can be scratched off. If you think the rhinestone will be under some constant abuse, you could clear coat it with something like varnish or clear nailpolish.
I was just touching them lightly and the color was coming off. Clear nailpolish is a great idea too!
__________________
Jamee aka MamaAce
Mom by day, Actress by night and Mad Stamper somewhere in between!!
My Gallery
MamaAce is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,486
Default

For rhinestones and gems I use sharpies, copics and even alcohol inks (that is messy, so if I do that, I make a bunch..)
__________________
Winnie
http://www.winniesinkyfingers.com
winnieu is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2
Default

I use my permanent BIC markers to color Stampin' Up! rhinestones, pearls, and clear buttons. Color the rhinestones and pearls directly on the sheet they came on before removing to adhere to cards, pages, etc. Use a glue dot to hold button onto a piece of scrap paper so you can color it before removing to attach to your project.
Doris Fryman
Doris Ann Designs
DorisAnnDesigns is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Embossing Fanatic
 
TeresaLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 59
Default

Great idea on re-purposing the nail polish bottle for diamond glaze. I will definitely try that.
TeresaLynn is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Margscardcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Posts: 2,031
Default

I use my copic, I have never had any problems with it being sticky or gummy. I put one coat on let it dry a minute or two then give it another coat, I keep doing this until I get the colour I want.
I only buy clear or silver rhinestones or white or cream pearls now.
Here's a card I did this way it's also in my gallery Here
Attached Thumbnails
img_1438.jpg  
__________________

Marg down under

My Gallery - My Blog
.
To practice any art no matter how well or badly is to let the soul soar!
Margscardcrazy is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbballfan View Post
I have Copics, but I like to use Sharpies or Bics to color rhinestones; the Copics leave a gummy, sticky feel. But I like the idea of coating them. I use Diamond Glaze or Glossy Accents, and found the neatest idea on You Tube: I cleaned an old nail polish bottle very well, and poured Diamond Glaze into it. The best part? The brush is ready, and when you're finished, goes right back into the bottle. I ruined a couple of my good paint brushes when I forgot to clean the Diamond Glaze from them.

And not that this happened to me (lol)... but clean your nail polish bottle very well. I had some clear top coat, must not have gotten all of it out before I poured the Diamond Glaze into the bottle. When I tried to brush the DG onto paper beads, the glaze had thickened and wouldn't spread; some of the DG had congealed inside the bottle. Had to pour out the DG and start over. This time, I used nail polish remover to completely clean the bottle and the brush, rinsed with warm water; let it dry and started again. Works like a charm!
What a great idea!! Its going into my ideas file!!
Crafting_Marfa is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margscardcrazy View Post
I use my copic, I have never had any problems with it being sticky or gummy. I put one coat on let it dry a minute or two then give it another coat, I keep doing this until I get the colour I want.
I only buy clear or silver rhinestones or white or cream pearls now.
Here's a card I did this way it's also in my gallery Here
Beautiful card!
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off