Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Color Markers

I just had a friend call me desperately wanting to borrow my cranberry crisp marker. Well, it is an in-color, so obviously I don't have it.

I read some tips on SCS about making your own in-color markers. I have searched in vain. Can somebody please help me out?

Thanks so much.
Member #2888
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

If your friend wants to color on the rubber before stamping, I have a non-marker idea. I use mini pompoms from the craft dept. and reinkers. I use an alligator clip to hold the pompom, put a drop of reinker onto the pompom, and color whatever areas of a stamp I need to. I throw out the pompom when I'm done because they are so inexpensive, I don't see the need to have to label and store them. Pompoms come in a ton of sizes, but I like the two smallest. I find this to be extremely cost effective, and I don't need storage for a ton of markers. I've never tried this on paper coloring, but I think I will try that later this month.

What other people do is use blender pens to soak up ink from a reinker to make markers. You could also take an old dried out marker and soak up ink into it. For soaking up ink, you can put ink into a small container and stand the blender pen/marker in it. I don't know how long this will take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Making your own with the blender pens is what SU! suggests. HOWEVER, that's a waste of time, because over time the blender fluid changes the color of the ink, and you just have to reink them anyway. PAIN! Plus, I always want the WRITING end of the In Color markers. I don't understand WHY SU! won't make them considering how much $$$ they would make off of them! It's not like they don't already manufacture pens and ink....so it's a NO DUH factor from my end! HELLO? SU? I'm telling you what I will spend $$$$ on!! I've already emailed you multiple times and it's been suggested by many demos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Can you dry out the blender pen till there is no more fluid left or use an old dried out one so the color doesn't lighten?
I've never bought an SU blender pen. What kind of tip do they have, is it soft like the markers or hard? I have the Dove blender pen and those tips are hard. I'd like something softer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the tips. I will pass these ideas on. I thought that I remember seeing where you could buy empty barrel pens, but I couldn't find them.
Member #2888
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I made mine with LrPlum blenders and they still work fine. Yes I have to re-ink them every now and then, but to have them in markers is worth it to me. YOu can also just use a blender to pick up the color and apply it. OR you can buy the Fantastix at michaels and make the marker from them. They work great also as they are a dry blender to start with.
ALL of the in-colors I now have made into markers for me and I use them all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #7  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I use fantastix too. I suppose you could use a cheap child's marker, say yellow. Just take it apart, wash all the color out, dry, fill with reinker and put back together. My Dd is always getting some cheap markers with a toy or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I LOVE fantastixs, it is so easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
OR you can buy the Fantastix at michaels and make the marker from them.
Are they uninked markers? I went to Fantastix web site and couldn't tell if they are already inked. Thanks.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fantastix is a foam-like stick that is wrapped in a thin plastic sleeve so your fingers won't get inky. They work great, but are a little floppy. I don't recommend them for classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I made two in color markers with the blender pens I had that were all dried out when I got them. Worked great, and 2 years later they are still going strong. I took the fat tip out of the end of the blender pen and then dropped reinker directly into the opening. Stored it on it's side for about 24 hours, and was good to go. I love them. I made cranberry crisp and cool caribbean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

i got some of these fantastix at joanns

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I've been wondering if anybody has tried to use the empty copic markers for this. It sounds like it should work but I'm not very familiar with them.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
I made mine with LrPlum blenders and they still work fine. Yes I have to re-ink them every now and then, but to have them in markers is worth it to me. YOu can also just use a blender to pick up the color and apply it. OR you can buy the Fantastix at michaels and make the marker from them. They work great also as they are a dry blender to start with.
ALL of the in-colors I now have made into markers for me and I use them all the time.
What are LrPlum blenders? Are these something you take the tip out of and put re-inker into? If it is a brand of blender pen does it change the color at all?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Can I do this with my tombow markers which have all dried up.

jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Okay, so i went and bought the Fantastix, my question is: does any thing leak out of the bottoms, or do you cover/cap the bottom with anything?????

Do you think the blender pen is a better way to go????

Thanks in advance--Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I used some old blender pins, some that were stained from so much use. I didn't open them and put the ink inside(I do need to do that). They work fine, the last time I used them one needed a little ink on the tip the other one was fine......I originally just added drops of ink to the tips until they were wet enough......Good Luck....Billye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Default how many people have to ask for them to make a change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDollView Post
Making your own with the blender pens is what SU! suggests. HOWEVER, that's a waste of time, because over time the blender fluid changes the color of the ink, and you just have to reink them anyway. PAIN! Plus, I always want the WRITING end of the In Color markers. I don't understand WHY SU! won't make them considering how much $$$ they would make off of them! It's not like they don't already manufacture pens and ink....so it's a NO DUH factor from my end! HELLO? SU? I'm telling you what I will spend $$$$ on!! I've already emailed you multiple times and it's been suggested by many demos!
Well I'm happy to send in the same request and I think lots of people would as this is obviously something we all want to buy - well either incolor markers or empty maker pens (like the empty roller inks they sell). Could I ask, though, who did you contact in SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

....... I don't understand WHY SU! won't make them considering how much $$$ they would make off of them! It's not like they don't already manufacture pens and ink....so it's a NO DUH factor from my end! HELLO? SU? I'm telling you what I will spend $$$$ on!! I've already emailed you multiple times and it's been suggested by many demos!
Nice idea in theory, lol, but SU doesn't make markers. They make rubber stamps. Their inks, papers and accessories are contracted out. Who knows why they don't have the markers...but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's SU making that final decision....could just be a manufacturing thing.

Still, even though I would buy In-Color markers in a flash, I can't say that I have any bad feelings about it, lol. I just use the blender pens. I let the nibs soak up a fair amount of the reinker, and then they last for a period of time until they go dry. It's not any trouble, really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

You made a very good point in that SU is being informed of what their customers want to spend their $ on so for them it's money in their pockets. I'm very surprised this message hasn't gotten across to them via demos who read these posts or however it needs to get there. You also made a very good point in that they are manufacturing markers anyway so what's the big deal. Only thing I can think of is that's it's a bigger process in making the classic ones already than what we consumers realize since these classic markers sell repeatedly all the time thus pay for this process and the in colors are in for such a short time so changing the inks and how many to make etc. might be hard to determine. It's anybody's guess why they aren't listening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

How would one do it with old Tombow blenders since the tips dont come out?

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes