Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cancer Warning

I just received a 12" Tool Bag, The Original Pink Box, from Sears. I ordered it to carry my CB to workshops/classes and other stuff - has LOTS of pockets. It is like the he-man tool bags only bright pink and probably smaller. I was cutting off the cardboard label that was attached to this bag and noticed a little box with 'WARNING' in all caps & in dark pink print. The text read as follows: "This product and its packaging contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm." I read here on a thread about a 'Cancer Warning' for a Fiskars punch but was still a little shocked about this warning on a tool bag. I guess people with little children or animals that bite or chew on anything might need to heed this warning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about this, but I think California is a little overzealous (or not, how about we just call them "concerned") with their labeling laws...
When DH and I went to San Diego in November, our HOTEL had a sign on it that said "This building contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer..." Same label, but on a building. My guess is that some nylon thread in the carpet, and in your bag, happens to be "labeled" as a possible carcinogen when given to rats in 1000 x the quantity that would choke a horse. IOW, I wouldn't necessarily worry...
;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

well, according to the state of New York, it's fine to use LOL.... i always wondered why California put that warning.... wouldn't the same chemical cause cancer regardless of where you are?
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I guess as long as you are not in California while you are using this product, then you should be fine. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Reminds me of the time hubby and I were grocery shopping. We saw a soda that had Warning , drinking this can cause Cancer. Hubby says Yes please let me buy this and drink it.
You know why they have to put labels like that one something , cause of that 1 in a Billion chance of it happening so they don't get sued.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
I am not sure about this, but I think California is a little overzealous (or not, how about we just call them "concerned") with their labeling laws...
When DH and I went to San Diego in November, our HOTEL had a sign on it that said "This building contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer..." Same label, but on a building. My guess is that some nylon thread in the carpet, and in your bag, happens to be "labeled" as a possible carcinogen when given to rats in 1000 x the quantity that would choke a horse. IOW, I wouldn't necessarily worry...
;-)
I think you are right, California has implemented much lower "thresholds" on a lot of chemicals, hence the warnings just for their state.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetTeaView Post
I guess as long as you are not in California while you are using this product, then you should be fine. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: And I'm a native to Crazy California! I think it's because some people here try to sue companies over the stupidest things. It's kind of a "Cover Your A**" way of doing business in this state. Pretty sad....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

they also have that warning on the stuff you use to clean your silver
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Question Wonder if?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I just received a 12" Tool Bag, The Original Pink Box, from Sears. I ordered it to carry my CB to workshops/classes and other stuff - has LOTS of pockets. It is like the he-man tool bags only bright pink and probably smaller. I was cutting off the cardboard label that was attached to this bag and noticed a little box with 'WARNING' in all caps & in dark pink print. The text read as follows: "This product and its packaging contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm." I read here on a thread about a 'Cancer Warning' for a Fiskars punch but was still a little shocked about this warning on a tool bag. I guess people with little children or animals that bite or chew on anything might need to heed this warning.
maybe formaldehyde? its used everywhere, from stoping new shirts going moludy in their packets to wall insulation, often to prezerve fabrics including new carpets, it has a funny smell, is toxic and harmful and evaporates with time, easy rule = if it (any new product) has an odour, air it out of doors for a few hours.

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Smile

Quote:

Maybe this is why I moved from California over 40 years ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Sweet Tea, you are cracking me up!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

All China sold in CA has the cancer warning - bought my mother Lenox China and she didn't want to use it after reading the cancer warning. We moved into a new building at work and there are cancer warnings - but not on the school portion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Default Cancer warnings on buildings

Most of the cancer warnings on buildings refers to the asbestos in the textured ceilings inside of them. Asbestos is a known cancer-causer, but is only a problem if airborne. Therefore, it is safer to leave it be than to remove it.

And, yes. The cancer warnings are to keep from being held accountable if someone sues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
;-)
The State of California has found that if you are alive, you may die. :rolleyes:
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

This is funny since just today my teacher said we have to clean everything out of the class that "might be a chemical, including hand sanitizer, wipes of any kind, and even white board spray, we have to basically only use water for anything. Cal OSHA will be visiting and if they find ANYTHING that looks like chemical, the school will be hit with a fine.
Reply With Quote Likes