Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all Tonic Guillotine Owners!!!

I've narrowed down my search for a new paper cutter to one of the Tonic ones. But, I have a few questions before deciding which one to buy. I'm primarily a cardmaker although I do scrapbook from time to time. My questions are:

(1). Which size do you recommend? I don't plan to take it anywhere and only use it at home, in my craft room.
(2). If you have the 12x12, what increment markings are on it?

I really want a cutter that has the usual A2 markings (4.25 & 5.5") easily visible. Any other pros or cons for this brand would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the 12X12 and it's easy to find the measurements you mentioned. There is also a metric ruler down the centre of the cutter (I'm Canadian - I use that one too). I do find it a bit tricky to cut smaller pieces of paper (less than 1.5 inches) due to the way the cutter works but I have other cutting methods for that.

I would honestly say that I find some smaller increments harder to gauge as I craft sitting down and with the 12" cutter the measurements are further away than my 40+ year old eyes can handle. Other than that, I love the cutter - it does a great job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have all three sizes of their guillotine-type cutters (hey, they were on sale!) - my 12x12 is the one with the full platform because I've had issues with extension-arm trimmers by other companies. It seems like the mark I need always falls at a joint on the arm

My first was the full 12x12 and aside from it being BIG, I love it. It has markings on the ruler down to 1/8", there's a second ruler halfway down and another at the bottom to help you make sure you're lined up straight; however, for most cards, the piece you're cutting won't reach that 2nd ruler. It has indents on the platform every 1/2".

The 8-1/2" and 6" trimmers are nice to have, but definitely not necessary. Matter of fact, neither of them can measure to 5-1/2" and the 6" one doesn't even measure to 4-1/4" (as a matter of fact, I think the widest measurement available is 4-3/4" on the bigger trimmer). I like them, though, for cutting accent pieces because the bed of the trimmer is marked every 1/4".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 12X12 Tonic! I've used my fine line Sharpies to mark the measurements that I use all the time. If I'm mass-producing a card with measurements that I don't usually use, I put tape on the platform to mark the places I need & just remove the tape when I'm done.

I really like having the larger platform. My cutter tucks under my craft table (on top of a box I made into a shelf unit) right at lap level, so when I need a quick cut, I can just pull it out, use it in my lap, and slide it back. For longer use, it sits on a table.

Good luck deciding!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 12x12 Tonic trimmer. Really like that I don't have to fiddle with a swing out arm. As the OP stated, many of the trimmers (Ask me how I know) with the swing out arm have the 5 1/2 measurement at the joint where the arm swings out which makes getting a accurate cute iffy. I keep the ones with the swing out arm for projects that need cuts within the bounds of the c/s (cut out windows, cuts for flaps on boxes, etc) or use them to cut the fancy edges with the various decorative blades but use my 12x12 for most everything else. You can get really thin cuts - hair width like shavings - with this cutter. I have a Fiskar 5x9 guillotine within easy reach also that I love. Use it on smaller pieces of c/s to cut mats or accent pieces. I think that, if you can leave the 12x12 out, this is the size to buy because there are not many papers that are larger. I know MS (18x18?) and the special 12x24 size for the Cricut 12x24 mat but not many more.

Have had my Tonic 12x12 for about 3 yrs and highly recommend this trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 12 x 6 trimmer. I primarily make cards and this works well with me. I can easily line up the cardstock for cutting cards, but like others have said, you could easily mark off with Sharpie too.

I had the mini guillotine trimmer (the 4 x6, can't remember dimensions) and would not recommend that. It worked great for a while, but the blade could not be sharpened or replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I just want to add my vote for the 12 x 12 base. That's the one I finally bought about a year ago. It stays out on a shelf I put across the top of my drawer units. I love the size!
After years of trying to get an accurate 5 1/2" cut with those swing arm trimmers I caved and bought the bigger base.

I am so glad I did. I do some scrapbooking too; so sometimes I have a 12 x 12 piece of paper that needs cut down and I LOVE having the full size trimmer. Go for it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I own the 12x12 trimmer and LOVE it. I am primarily a card maker and I've never found it too big. Actually, I'm really glad I got this size. Fortunately I have a good size working space so it sits out all of the time. I find the cuts extremely accurate as well. After 3 years of using it, I've never had a problem with it nor have I ever regretted buying it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the 6" base and hope to someday trade it in for the 12" base...someday! I had to stick a piece of tape marking where to cut for my A2 cards because I didn't find it to be that easy to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Just for the record, I have the one with the 12 x 12 inch base, and I am really *not* happy with it. It does fine on cuts that are up to about 8 or even 9 inches long, but if the paper is 11 or 12 inches long, the blade often does not cut cleanly through the end of the paper closest to me. It also doesn't do multiple sheets of cardstock well at all; the maximum number of sheets I can do in a single pass is 2, and even then, I need to be REALLY careful that neither sheet slips. I thought the blade on this thing was supposed to be self-sharpening, and I am pretty disappointed in it. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love mine - I have the 12x6 one and it fits nicely on my table...but in my future I see the 12x12 one coming :-)

I have made thousands and thousands of cuts with mine and it still cuts the same as the day I bought it - LOVE it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Meloleary-
When cutting the longer lengths, I push the blade slightly toward the base as the cut get closer to me and don't have a problem with getting a clean cut. I am working on scrapbooking pictures from a trip so have been trimiming the 12x12 pages so they flip easier in the book. I am getting nice clean cuts.

To sharpening your blade, I was told by customer service when I called about something else, move the blade up and down in a cutting motion while pushing the blade slightly toward the base. Make multiple passes quickly. I guess the metal parts rubbing against each other sharpens the blade. My blades cut cleanly because I 'sharpeni' them periodically. I have had my Tonic cutter for 3+ yrs,

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 06-30-2010 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I have the 12x12 and it is sitting in the closet collecting dust. The markings are off enough to make it quite noticable. I contacted Tonic and they were supposed to send me a new one. What I received was a USED, dirty one that does not make clean cuts. I am not impressed by the company (or trimmer) at all. I now have a 12 inch Fiskar's rotary trimmer that I love!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it, but I think I've tried all those things. Nothing to lose by trying again, I guess!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Meloleary-
When cutting the longer lengths, I push the blade slightly toward the base as the cut get closer to me and don't have a problem with getting a clean cut. I am working on scrapbooking pictures from a trip so have been trimiming the 12x12 pages so they flip easier in the book. I am getting nice clean cuts.

To sharpening your blade, I was told by customer service when I called about something else, move the blade up and down in a cutting motion while pushing the blade slightly toward the base. Make multiple passes quickly. I guess the metal parts rubbing against each other sharpens the blade. My blades cut cleanly because I 'sharpeni' them periodically. I have had my Tonic cutter for 3+ yrs,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Meloary (sp?)-

If all else fails, try to contacting customer service and let them your problem. After all, 'word of mouth' is one of the best ways of adverstising and happy customers tell family, friends and other people if they like something. (Haven't you started talking to someone in a store and told them, if they asked, why you liked a particular product and why you didin't like another one?) As I mentioned before, I did call them when the spring that holds the cutting arm up broke (this is what I was told when I described my problem) - the arm would not stay up. The spring in enclosed in the housing at the top of the base. They sent me a new cutter at no cost to me and didn't even ask for me to sent the old one back! I don't think they asked how long I had owned my cutter either.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 07-01-2010 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 8.5" trimmer and I love it for getting really clean cuts. However, I want to get the 12" one for one reason: my 8.5" doesn't have a 5.5" marking for cutting down 8.5x11 card stock. It isn't wide enough. I made a mark on the outside edge of the trimmer and it sorta works, but it's less than perfect. I "need" the 12" one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the 12x12 and only use it for production work when I want to cut more than one sheet at a time. The reason I don't use it is because it difficult to make small cuts - when you just want to shave off a wee bit of paper.

I have the 12x12 tonic trimmer that I love because it has a 1/4" grid on the base and I can use Fiskars blades (I can't buy the tonic blades locally). I bought another one as a back-up because I figure at some point in time they will change it and I'll probably hate the new one.

I had a problem with my 12x12 trimmer and Tonic sent me a brand new trimmer. I wonder what has happened to their customer service?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

My mines made up. 12x12 for me. I have been looking at these for a while and now that I have found the thread I think I have enough recommendations. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Kelly,

I am a fellow Canadian and I'm really interested in buying to Tonic Guillotine! I just wanted to ask you where you bought it? did you find a site online that will ship it to Canada?

Thanks
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuphrosyneView Post
Hi Kelly,

I am a fellow Canadian and I'm really interested in buying to Tonic Guillotine! I just wanted to ask you where you bought it? did you find a site online that will ship it to Canada?

Thanks
Sarah
How funny! I haven't been on SCS in ages and happened to pop on today and found this.

I ordered my cutter from 7kidscollegefund.com - I get most of my stuff from the US.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 6x12 cutter with the snap-in arm that makes it 12x12. LOVE it! I have limited space so having a 12x12 cutter out all the time is a hassle for me. I can still cut larger papers easily. And all the markings are on the top of the cutter by either 1/8 or 1/16 increments (I can't remember off the top of my head).

I will say this, I think the 6" mark is right near where the arm hooks on to the cutter, so if you use that a lot, you will want to mark it with a sharpie or tape. Otherwise, I have no issues whatsoever with my cutter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
To sharpening your blade, I was told by customer service when I called about something else, move the blade up and down in a cutting motion while pushing the blade slightly toward the base. Make multiple passes quickly. I guess the metal parts rubbing against each other sharpens the blade.,
I also do this right before using my cutter each and every time and it cuts like butter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybeeView Post
How funny! I haven't been on SCS in ages and happened to pop on today and found this.

I ordered my cutter from 7kidscollegefund.com - I get most of my stuff from the US.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot Kelly! Was the shipping expensive from them? It's funny how you decided to pop on here today - maybe my mental vibes I was sending out somehow reached you hahaha Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the 12x12, too, and I love it! It's been a great trimmer so far. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes