Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree931Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #241
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
btw I never did cave and buy a cameo (still have my silhouette sd) so at least that makes the justification for this a little easier.
I broke down about 6 months ago and upgraded from an SD to a Cameo. Unfortunately I am locked into Silhouette machines since I have acquired over 9,000 Silhouette designs over the years. I am still going to buy a Scan n Cut simply for fussy cutting. Although, the more I read posts and watch videos about the Scan n Cut, the more possibilities I see with it. I just wish Silhouette wasn't so darn proprietary with their designs. I would love to have the option of using other machines with my library.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #242
Forum Fanatic

Thank you Phantom and TheOther Meg...Your comments really helped. The main thing I want to do with an e-cutter is stamp images and then be able to cut them out electronically as well as cut larger mats for them in the same shape. I can do this with the Scan and Cut, right? I do like the idea of not having to be connected to my computer to use this. What is the best place to buy this and what is the best model to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Well, LMStamps, this is me actually so I should be able to come up with an answer to your question .

I have the Portrait and it's amazing how little I use it. Initially, I did quite a bit with it. I cut out some large vinyls for a local organization which came out well. I did some print and cut with stamps and they came out just as I had hoped, too. And I cut some text. Then it was quite a few weeks before I wanted to use it again, and then I wanted to cut out a simple shape, and nothing felt intuitive about it.

For me the big difference is the built-in scanner. I have an EZ View Desk with my stamp pad organizers on one long side, up against the wall. So my free space on my desk from those to the edge where I sit measures 22 inches. The desk is about 53-1/2 inches long. My laptop with the Portrait set up together pretty much takes up the entire desk. My scanner is in the dining room, diagonally on the other side of the house. I guess when I want to use the Portrait, I could bring it and the laptop to the dining room table. But I'm not really into all of the setup. And if the laptop needs to be plugged in, it's a hassle for me to do that in there. If I worked differently and just planned on doing a bunch of cutting or something all at one time, I suppose it would work just fine. But I want to be able to be working on something, have an idea, pull out a machine and do it.

It just seems so much simpler to me to have something that is freestanding and independent of the computer and scanner. To top it off, sometimes my scanner can get a little bit flaky. Or the wireless isn't working. And every time I have to set up a direct connection to the printer/copier/scanner, I've had trouble getting it put to rights again afterward. So the SNC is also a backup scanner for me, which is a huge plus because I need it for work.

I plan to use it primarily to cut out drawings, stamps, text and stencils . . . and probably much more. I guess it all boils down to simplifying which is what I've done with everything else in my stamping/art area. Also, if I find that I use it a lot and have no need for the Silhouette, I am pretty sure I can get my $ out of the Portrait.

It's really personal preference, how you work, and what your physical setup is like, I think. I feel the Portrait is an incredible product and Silhouette does a great job. But for me, now that there's this alternative, I think I will get more use out of the SNC.
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #243
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
I broke down about 6 months ago and upgraded from an SD to a Cameo. Unfortunately I am locked into Silhouette machines since I have acquired over 9,000 Silhouette designs over the years. I am still going to buy a Scan n Cut simply for fussy cutting. Although, the more I read posts and watch videos about the Scan n Cut, the more possibilities I see with it. I just wish Silhouette wasn't so darn proprietary with their designs. I would love to have the option of using other machines with my library.
I thought I saw somewhere that there is .svg to Scan and cut program about...
Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #244
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
Thank you Phantom and TheOther Meg...Your comments really helped. The main thing I want to do with an e-cutter is stamp images and then be able to cut them out electronically as well as cut larger mats for them in the same shape. I can do this with the Scan and Cut, right? I do like the idea of not having to be connected to my computer to use this. What is the best place to buy this and what is the best model to buy.
Both models are the same the more expensive model has more shapes and accessories that are primarily used in sewing.

Of course I sew as well so I am doubly tempted
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #245
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life View Post
Queen of Inkland-

Thank you for the link to the 2 videos. A friend also recommended these YouTube videos. I like that she is thorough and calm.

I am going to re-watch these videos because they are so informative. I am sure I will get to know my SNC better. I am so glad I bought this machine because I am not very computer savy and the other machine that can 'fussy' cut have too many steps for me.
You're very welcome.

I really appreciated her tips on maintenance of the machine, too. She said that she'll be making more videos for the SNC; I'm looking forward to that.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #246
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I thought I saw somewhere that there is .svg to Scan and cut program about...
Silhouette store designs are not SVG files and their new software does not allow them to be converted. Their upgraded software which costs $50 will allow you to import SVG files to cut on their machine, but it locks you out of using their original designs on other cutting machines. This has been a huge source of frustration for me and the reason why I chose a Cameo over the Zing.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #247
Forum Fanatic

I think the only way to use silhouette files is to put them on your mat in studio, do a fill, screenshot, and then use the SNC software to convert the jpg to a cut file.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 01-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #248
Forum Fanatic

I was about to push the button for this at amazon but the tax pushes it way up. I might wait just a little longer while I shop at a different site....

Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #249
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I think the only way to use silhouette files is to put them on your mat in studio, do a fill, screenshot, and then use the SNC software to convert the jpg to a cut file.
That's something I'll have to keep in mind to try. Thanks!
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #250
Forum Fanatic

Question...Can this machine from the actual Cardstock that I stamp on, or must it be scanned and cut from other paper? Sorry for my ignorance. LM
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #251
Forum Fanatic

This is a very good point. When I made an Advent Calendar for my grandkids this last Christmas (in my Gallery if you are interested in seeing it), I had so many punches out, they were all over my craft room floor. It took a LOT of time to put them all away! AND I have filled three over the door shoe pocket holders with punches and have no room for any more holders or punches. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Seems like it and to be honest for me it would take less time than to get my punches out.

I do like my dies that emboss though...but there are ways to trick the eye...
Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #252
Matboard Maniac

With the Cameo and Studio files surely all you need do is print out the file from Studio on your printer then put it though the Scan and Cut.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #253
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
With the Cameo and Studio files surely all you need do is print out the file from Studio on your printer then put it though the Scan and Cut.
I think the only files that can be printed out are the ones designated as print and cut files. I have not used this feature yet so I'm not sure.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #254
Matboard Maniac

With Studio you can print out any jpg or png image, you just open it on your Studio screen and send it to the printer.

Ruth
Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 AM   #255
Insane Embellisher

Oh my. I am excited but also a little worried that I stumbled across this thread!
I have a Cricut that my hubby bought for me, but I find it difficult to use because I like to have the sizes in my hands. I can't visualize if I want a 1" or 1 1/4" shape very well.
Also, I don't know what image I want until I see it in front of me.

This machine seems much more to my liking. ugghh!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #256
Die Cut Diva

I went to a local fabric shop yesterday and saw a demo of the blue machine. They don't carry the red machine, though. I am tempted to buy the blue machine because it cuts the stamped image without a border at all. But that alone is not enough justification for me to spend $110 more.

Would someone please tell me this this - on the red machine, what is the size of the smallest border around an image that the machine can cut?

My Pinterest Page

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 AM   #257
Proud Fan Club Member

You can cut right to the shape with the red one, too, Robin.
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
TheOtherMeg likes this post.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #258
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMstamps View Post
Question...Can this machine from the actual Cardstock that I stamp on, or must it be scanned and cut from other paper? Sorry for my ignorance. LM
Yes it can. The steps are -Stamp. Scan. Edit area down to around stamp (this eliminates it reading marks on the mat as a potential cut). Cut.
Phantom and TheOtherMeg like this post.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #259
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP111 View Post
I went to a local fabric shop yesterday and saw a demo of the blue machine. They don't carry the red machine, though. I am tempted to buy the blue machine because it cuts the stamped image without a border at all. But that alone is not enough justification for me to spend $110 more.

Would someone please tell me this this - on the red machine, what is the size of the smallest border around an image that the machine can cut?
Both machines are identical in ability. The more expensive machine comes with more preloaded shapes/patterns to cut and more accessories.

The scanning and the cutting ability are identical.
Phantom and TheOtherMeg like this post.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #260
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
With Studio you can print out any jpg or png image, you just open it on your Studio screen and send it to the printer.

Ruth
But personally, if it's not a print-and-cut, I wouldn't want to print it and then cut it. I'd want to cut it only from colored card stock.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #261
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Silhouette store designs are not SVG files and their new software does not allow them to be converted. Their upgraded software which costs $50 will allow you to import SVG files to cut on their machine, but it locks you out of using their original designs on other cutting machines. This has been a huge source of frustration for me and the reason why I chose a Cameo over the Zing.
Too bad you didn't see my tutorial first: Cat Scrap Fever: How to "Export" Silhouette Studio Files to SVG files

Also, you really don't need to go that far. You just need to get a screen capture of the file in SS and then import the image into Make the cut and trace. You can then send it to the Zing. That is why I have a Zing an MTC.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #262
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
But personally, if it's not a print-and-cut, I wouldn't want to print it and then cut it. I'd want to cut it only from colored card stock.
You would scan and save the design, then put the colored card stock in the machine and cut the saved design.

Martha
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #263
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Talk of a new design, especially in just a year, bothers me a bit. Updates can be delivered via USB. So if they are already thinking of mechanical and physical changes, that makes me wonder a little.

It's one thing to start thinking redesign based on widespread use and experience. Didn't this just come out in the middle of last year? And already there is room for improvement in the actual machine (vs software)?

I thought about postponing purchase of this but I thought it may be hard to find pretty shortly because of the accolades and rave reviews. I'll be a little bummed if there's a "new and improved" version so soon but as long as it works as well as what I've seen, I'll be satisfied with getting it now.
It came out the beginning of October.

Users have suggested improvements - I've suggested a larger viewing screen on the machine.

Martha
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #264
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha J View Post
You would scan and save the design, then put the colored card stock in the machine and cut the saved design.

Martha
Still, it would be a waste of ink. I'd rather just do a screen shot and convert it to the right file type.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #265
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Still, it would be a waste of ink. I'd rather just do a screen shot and convert it to the right file type.
That's what I usually do!
gale likes this post.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #266
Matboard Maniac

I would be printing a digital stamp/image that I had manipulated/sized in Studio, printed then scanned and cut with the Scan and Cut as I can never get a satisfactory cut around the image with print and Cut on the Cameo.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #267
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
Too bad you didn't see my tutorial first: Cat Scrap Fever: How to "Export" Silhouette Studio Files to SVG files

Also, you really don't need to go that far. You just need to get a screen capture of the file in SS and then import the image into Make the cut and trace. You can then send it to the Zing. That is why I have a Zing an MTC.
Very nice tutorial! I wish I saw this before I bought my Cameo.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #268
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha J View Post
Users have suggested improvements - I've suggested a larger viewing screen on the machine.

Martha
That was one thing I noticed when the store owner was demo'ing the blue machine. The screen would be a lot easier to see if it were larger.

My Pinterest Page

TheOtherMeg likes this post.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #269
Gabfest Goddess

If I stamped ten images on card stock, could the SNC cut all ten out in one pass? Can you send small pieces of paper through the machine? I probably need to watch the videos but if one of you could answer I'd be grateful!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #270
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
If I stamped ten images on card stock, could the SNC cut all ten out in one pass? Can you send small pieces of paper through the machine? I probably need to watch the videos but if one of you could answer I'd be grateful!

Yes to both questions.

Martha
nancystamps, gale, TeeGeeDee and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #271
Glitter Queen

Send a message via MSN to Bar Narna

Someone said that people will use these to resize rubber stamped images. I didn't think this would draw all the detail of the actual stamp (not that I want to). The only drawing I've seen done with this is an outline which I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd need a giant outline of a rubber stamp.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #272
Proud Fan Club Member

I thought the drawing features were designed to accommodate quilters and seamstresses. I don't know what I'd use it for either.
artwork designed for
Inky Antics
RiverIsis and DianneB1030 like this post.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #273
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar Narna View Post
Someone said that people will use these to resize rubber stamped images. I didn't think this would draw all the detail of the actual stamp (not that I want to). The only drawing I've seen done with this is an outline which I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd need a giant outline of a rubber stamp.
I found this little reminder in Important Reminders
Quote:
If you are scanning in copyrighted materials (materials you donít own the copyright to) to manipulate and/or cut, keep in mind that these materials are protected by Copyright Laws. You may not duplicate them and/or distribute them (see Copyright Laws for more information). - See more at: ScanNCut Archives - PaperCrafter's Corner
ScanNCut Archives - PaperCrafter's Corner

To me this implies the ability is absolutely there but they are NOT going to encourage it. And I bet they are going to be searching the Internet watching for anyone encouraging such use.

Look at it this way, a kitchen knife can be used for some pretty awful things that do not include food prep. Manufacturers would in no way encourage illegal usage of a kitchen knife. However, if a person chooses to use a kitchen knife in an illegal manner there are consequences. The choice is up to the user. The majority of kitchen knife users are going to use it for its intended purpose.

What I will point out is that I don't think the drawing feature would be a cost effective way to use the machine. Bet those pens aren't cheap.
gale, Martha J, Phantom and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #274
Kookie Creator

I think if somebody really wanted to scan and replicate stamp images, there are other machines that would be better to use than this one.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #275
Insane Embellisher

I went ahead and ordered the machine. I watched the 2 PapercraftersCorner.com videos that someone suggested. These are long but well worth it.
Now, if someone would do a video for the online cutcanvas program!!

I have only used a cricut before with cartridges and never the online studio. I don't know a thing about svg files, how to use them or what they are even!
Phantom, Cinnistew and Arizona like this post.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #276
Die Cut Diva

I just pulled the trigger! Bought the red machine through Amazon & it should be here by Friday. Woohoo!

My Pinterest Page

Phantom, slyn11, Cinnistew and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #277
Kookie Creator

Watching the two paper crafters videos really opened my eyes to the capabilities of this machine. I think it will be an even better addition to my tool arsenal than I thought. I was planning on purchasing a Genesis trimmer first, but I think I am going to prioritize the SNC above it.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #278
Matboard Maniac

I should NOT have read this thread. I didn't think I was interested in this machine but I see a lot of possibilities for it now.
Paige, BA, Phantom and 3 others like this post.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #279
Die Cut Diva

I have read this entire thread and watched a number of videos and I am very interested in this machine but I have a question -

In the videos I watched, any area of a stamp that was a "closed" area (like the space between a bent arm and the torso) was not cut out. The machine only scanned the outline of the entire shape. Is this the only way it works? Or can you get it to cut out shapes inside of a larger shape?

Hope I explained that so that you know what I mean. If not I'll try again.

RachelRose Designs by Robin... GALLERY
ceramicat1 likes this post.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #280
Stazon Splitcoast

It will cut the outline of the stamp, which depending on the stamp may or may not work.

I wonder if it would take 2 scans and 2 cuts? The normal one and 1 focussed on the area?