Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #161
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Haha!!! Yeah... I do not need that!

But it's "have had," not "have." Right now, all I have is the Silhouette Portrait and the Artisan X-p. And the Scan and Cut is quickly winning me over.

I started with a Cuttlebug .... would only grip on my wood floor and really tipsy.... didn't love it at all.

Moved on to Big Shot ... much more fun to use, but awkward to store...

and then I met ....

The Vagabond .... liked the look, easy-store shape, and loved not cranking... but why wasn't I using it more?? I have no idea. I often worried about breaking it. I ended up not doing much mass production either .... and then became an A Muse consultant so ....

Grand Calibur. Reliable, sturdy, basic - a good workhorse . . . but I left A Muse, and began some serious downsizing of my workspace.

In came the Artisan X-plorer. Tiny. SO easy to grab and get a quick emboss or diecut. Made me start thinking more about other materials and working with metal ... and thinking in a smaller scale. But ...

Wow, that Silhouette Portrait is such a deal! And look at all it can do - AND I can cut out hand-drawn and stamped images. And vinyl. And fonts.

Well, with the Silhouette, do I really need the Vagabond and Grand Calibur? I should say not.

I did make good use of every machine but have eliminated all but the two.

I can barely remember but I'm pretty sure I gave the Cuttlebug to my sister; sold or gave (and apparently my memory with it) the Big Shot to a friend; sold the Vagabond for barely under what I paid for it; and made my $ back on the G.C.

I'm really hoping that my story ends with one more addition, the Scan and Cut, and a great big happily ever after .
How do you cut stamped images with the Silhouette Portrait (Silhouette Portrait is such a deal! And look at all it can do - AND I can cut out hand-drawn and stamped images. And vinyl. And fonts.)? - if you can't scan them in. How does the machine get the stamped image to cut it out?

Last edited by graceforever12; 01-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: added more to my question
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #162
Stazon Splitcoast

I am interested in this question too. I want to be able to cut images that I stamp the old-fashioned way with rubber stamps, that would be my primary reason for getting an E-Cutter. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceforever12 View Post
How do you cut stamped images with the Silhouette Portrait (Silhouette Portrait is such a deal! And look at all it can do - AND I can cut out hand-drawn and stamped images. And vinyl. And fonts.)? - if you can't scan them in. How does the machine get the stamped image to cut it out?

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated January 4, 2017
Please join us in our 2017 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #163
Matboard Maniac

Mine arrives Wednesday. I'm so excited...
QueenOfInkland likes this post.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #164
Rubber Obsessor

Stamped a flower from the Stampin up Flower Shop stamp set...the one with the matching punch. I ran it through my SNC instead...came out perfectly.

Unread 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #165
Cardstock Collector

Can I please point out that it is against various copyright and angel policies to use this machine for most rubber/clear stamps and digi stamps
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #166
Stazon Splitcoast

I was told SU support check. as has said it was ok
BA and Groucho like this post.
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #167
Cardstock Collector

you would need to check each stamp companies TOU - Magnolia for one would say no
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #168
Stazon Splitcoast

Another reason I am glad I am mostly SUO! LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croms View Post
you would need to check each stamp companies TOU - Magnolia for one would say no

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated January 4, 2017
Please join us in our 2017 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #169
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Can I please point out that it is against various copyright and angel policies to use this machine for most rubber/clear stamps and digi stamps
Doubtful. The ScanNCut directly cuts an image you hand stamped from the paper...like electric scissors.

Now using a cameo where you have to scan an image save to your computer and print it out....that is against many policies.
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #170
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn11 View Post
Doubtful. The ScanNCut directly cuts an image you hand stamped from the paper...like electric scissors.

Now using a cameo where you have to scan an image save to your computer and print it out....that is against many policies.
From what I have read - to be able to do this the machine needs to scan the image to see it
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #171
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
From what I have read - to be able to do this the machine needs to scan the image to see it
It does, but the scan is not saved after cutting. So basically you have to stamp and rescan the image each time. With other cutters that do print and cuts the image is saved to your hard drive to be printed over and over like clipart. That is what stamp companies have a problem with.
Brenda71 likes this post.
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #172
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyn11 View Post
It does, but the scan is not saved after cutting. So basically you have to stamp and rescan the image each time. With other cutters that do print and cuts the image is saved to your hard drive to be printed over and over like clipart. That is what stamp companies have a problem with.
Thank you for clarifying that bit about not saving. I have it on good authority that those scans can be saved though but the resizing element that appears to be available would be against the TOU of many of the stamps I use

Last edited by Croms; 01-14-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #173
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying that but the resizing element that appears to be available would be against the TOU of many of the stamps I use
The resizing can be only on the cut files in the machine. Scanned images such as a stamp are not cut files. The machine will cut around the image such as you would with a pair of scissors or knife, but it cannot reproduce the image. The machine does not do print and cut. You cannot scan an image, resize it, and then print it out to re-scan into the machine for cutting. Even if the machine was capable of this, as long as you were only using it to cut out your stamp as you would with a pair of scissors, you are ok. Stamp companies don't care what tools you use to cut out the images. They just don't want their images mechanically copied or altered.
Hiding in My Craft Room and slyn11 like this post.
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #174
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
The resizing can be only on the cut files in the machine. Scanned images such as a stamp are not cut files. The machine will cut around the image such as you would with a pair of scissors or knife, but it cannot reproduce the image. The machine does not do print and cut. You cannot scan an image, resize it, and then print it out to re-scan into the machine for cutting. Even if the machine was capable of this, as long as you were only using it to cut out your stamp as you would with a pair of scissors, you are ok. Stamp companies don't care what tools you use to cut out the images. They just don't want their images mechanically copied or altered.
That's not as it was demonstrated to me
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #175
Polyshrink Goddess

Did somebody tell you this? Or did you actually see somebody stamp an image, scan it, and then produce a different sized copy of the image?
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #176
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Did somebody tell you this? Or did you actually see somebody stamp an image, scan it, and then produce a different sized copy of the image?
it was on national TV, a stamped image, resized and cut
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #177
Polyshrink Goddess

How did it reproduce the image? I can see how they could get a different sized outline, but not the image itself. The machine can't print. It can't be connected to a peripheral item such as a computer. The capability is irrelevant anyway. It's the way you use it that counts.
TheOtherMeg likes this post.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #178
Glitter Guru

Quote:
it was on national TV, a stamped image, resized and cut
It's very possible the stamped image was resized on a computer, in Photoshop or some other graphics program, then sent through the ScanNCut. In that case, the SNC isn't the machine/program that caused the (possible) infraction, as all it did was cut out an image.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #179
Pearl-ExPert

Don't know but it would SEEM Brother would have researched general stamp company angel policy regarding cutting an image. I stamp, color and handcut many images to use on paper projects and don't think the Angel Policy Police will come knocking on my door.

As others had said, the SNC does not reproduce the stamped images. It only cuts it out. Even if you saved the cut shape, you could not reproduce the stamped image. It only saves the outline of an image. You could save it on the machine/thumb drive and recall it and cut it again or add a border to use as a mat but the paper would be blank
Brenda71, slyn11, Cinnistew and 2 others like this post.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #180
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Note to self: do not buy Magnolia stamps, ever. Or any other stamp company's stamps that are like this.
LOL......I'm with you, sistah !!!!!
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #181
Stazon Splitcoast

The higher priced package comes with a pen holder. So images actually can be drawn and cut by the machine.

It is offered with the quilting machine but is priced as a peripheral that could be added.

Select a Brother ScanNCut | Compare Home and Hobby Cutting Machines

Last edited by RiverIsis; 01-14-2014 at 06:00 PM..
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #182
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
The higher priced package comes with a pen holder. So images actually can be drawn and cut by the machine.

It is offered with the quilting machine but is priced as a peripheral that could be added.

Select a Brother ScanNCut | Compare Home and Hobby Cutting Machines

Thank you
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #183
Stazon Splitcoast

I hasten to add I imagine that is a big reason why there is a paper machine and a separate quilt machine. Brother's attempt to separate the two. How a product is used after they instruct otherwise can not be controlled by Brother...

(Seriously wanted to do a "Big Brother" quip talking about control lol)
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #184
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I hasten to add I imagine that is a big reason why there is a paper machine and a separate quilt machine. Brother's attempt to separate the two. How a product is used after they instruct otherwise can not be controlled by Brother...

(Seriously wanted to do a "Big Brother" quip talking about control lol)
I may be misunderstanding you, but the SNC machine in the 100 bundle and the SNC machine in the 550 bundle are the same. The only difference in the bundles is what's included in the box (various accessories). I double checked with Brother before buying.

I went ahead and got the 550 because I wanted the accessories anyway, especially the pen holder & pens. I picked my SNC up yesterday and will be trying various pens in the holder in the next few days. I have some short gel pens and mini sharpies (and holders that someone's husband made) that I used to use with my Expression machine. They look like they might work.
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #185
Stazon Splitcoast

The cheaper machine without the pens is marketed to papercrafters, I imagine to avoid this mass production of a scanned image issue by Brother. The other is marketed for quilters. Same machine different accessories that let you draw a scanned image with the machine. Technically by branding them different (even in color) Brother is attempting to separate the two. It would be interesting to know if the papercrafting blogs that got the freebies were instructed to stay clear of this potential minefield.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #186
Embossing Fanatic

It has a scanner built in, you absolutely can scan a stamped image and save it to a usb stick. Then you can open the scanned image in a program like photoshop, resize it, print it out, and scan and cut it.

You can scan scrapbook paper and save and print it. You can scan pictures taken by a professional photographer and print them... just like you can with any other scanner. (I'm not suggesting you do this, just saying it is possible.)

Brother is not responsible for how one uses the machine, the end user is the one who is responsible. (I think the copyright police will only get involved if you use the manipulated image for something you are selling...)

Martha
Brenda71, sprtchick, Phantom and 2 others like this post.
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #187
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
The cheaper machine without the pens is marketed to papercrafters, I imagine to avoid this mass production of a scanned image issue by Brother. The other is marketed for quilters. Same machine different accessories that let you draw a scanned image with the machine. Technically by branding them different (even in color) Brother is attempting to separate the two. It would be interesting to know if the papercrafting blogs that got the freebies were instructed to stay clear of this potential minefield.
You can get the pen holder accessory for the other model. And drawing a scanned image would never give the same look as an actual stamp. All e-cutters have some sort of pen accessory. If this was going to blow up, it would definitely blow up from the Cameo and its users. They scan in stamps, resize them, print and cut them...and make youtube videos about how to do this. The SNC doesn't even have that capability unless you do it like Martha said, scan and save the image, edit it on your computer put it back in your machine...but what is the point of that?
RiverIsis likes this post.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #188
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Thank you
Still irrelevant.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #189
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Still irrelevant.
How. If the machine can do it, it can do it. Whether a purchaser wants to do it is up to the purchaser. None of this make the machine taboo.
cbet, Brenda71 and buggainok like this post.
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #190
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
How. If the machine can do it, it can do it. Whether a purchaser wants to do it is up to the purchaser. None of this make the machine taboo.
This was exactly my point. It is irrelevant whether the machine is able to reproduce images. What is relevant is how the machine is used. I posted this several times. Scanning, saving the scans and reproducing the images mechanically would be against many TOUs'. Cutting the image without saving the scans is not.
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #191
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Let's go back to FUN discussions like who else just got this machine and what have you tried with it and how did it go? LOL
MSBetsyZ, gale, Brenda71 and 7 others like this post.
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #192
Stazon Splitcoast

my ? Is how does one decide between of the machines/companies out there
once I decide I will check out the rules of use
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #193
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
my ? Is how does one decide between of the machines/companies out there
once I decide I will check out the rules of use
It really depends on what your primary reason for wanting a machine. Here are my suggestions.

1: Cameo - great for general die cuts and print and cut. Silhouette also makes stamp material for custom stamps, and has a variety of packages for other crafts such as rhinestone templates, fabric painting, etc... It's a very versatile machine. Silhouette has a blog and you tube videos for examples of what you can do.

2: If you would like to do the above with materials heavier than cardstock or very lightweight chipboard, you may want to go with a machine such as a Zing or Black Cat.

3. If your only interest is cutting out your stamps without having to fussy cut, then I would go with the Scan n Cut. Fussy cutting can be done with the other machines, but it is more complicated and involves quite a few more steps. The Scan in Cut is much simpler.

4. If you can afford it or are willing to save, you may want more than one machine. I already have a Cameo, and adore it. But, I am also saving up for a Scan n Cut exclusively for the ease of fussy cutting with it. I personally would not consider the Scan n Cut as my only machine because for now, IMO, it lacks the versatility of the other machines.
sprtchick and RiverIsis like this post.
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #194
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks so much
do I you know if the SnC will be upgraded in the near future?
I was waiting to hear from CHA
I really think I want the SnC due to ease. I have no computer skills
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #195
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
thanks so much
do I you know if the SnC will be upgraded in the near future?
I was waiting to hear from CHA
I really think I want the SnC due to ease. I have no computer skills
I heard rumor of upgrading on another thread here somewhere, but I don't recall details. I also heard of cloud based software for this so it must be able to connect to the internet even though it does not connect to a computer. I also believe you can save designs from your computer to a usb, and then connect the usb to the scan n cut to cut the designs. Here is a video from CHA2014 about the Scan n Cut.

CHA2014 - Anthony Ryan from Project Runway Shares the ScanNCut by Brother - YouTube
RiverIsis and TheOtherMeg like this post.
Unread 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #196
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks, again
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #197
Embossing Fanatic

I'm sure this question has been answered but with all the talk about what's legal and what's not I'm lost. All I would like to know is, if you stamp and image (from a rubber stamp) and scan it in and save it (either to the machine or usb) can you resize it like it's actually a digital stamp? thank you.
LMstamps likes this post.
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #198
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I'm not convinced this is better than any of the other machines already on the market. The one video that Arizona posted doesn't show how they actually get the image lined up to cut in the right spot unless its scanning the entire mat and basing the cutting on where the image is on the mat. I'd like to see more specs on the machines capabilities - particularly the cutting force. It seems to me its kind of a hybrid of a Cameo and a Cricut. It will be interesting to see how this one fairs against the other machines. I suppose there will be people who will like it and use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aezXDQs_APQthis video shows how to scan the background so you can tell it just where to cut
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #199
Glitter Guru

Not sure of the actual cutting force, but on one of the videos, it cut through a piece of leather like buttah.
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #200
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceforever12 View Post
I'm sure this question has been answered but with all the talk about what's legal and what's not I'm lost. All I would like to know is, if you stamp and image (from a rubber stamp) and scan it in and save it (either to the machine or usb) can you resize it like it's actually a digital stamp? thank you.
Yes, you can scan the image and save it to a usb stick, take that to your computer, and resize the stamped image then print it out. (There'd be no point in saving it to the machine if you want the stamped image in another size, as it does not print.)
LMstamps likes this post.