Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot Pro

Does anyone have one of these already?

Here is my dilema. I have a cuttlebug, but I have ready som many good things about the big shot I think I might get one. (birthday coming up).

I will use it for Embossing folders and Nesties. I have a KNK for cutting everything else.

It seems silly yo buy such a big machine to cut nesties and emboss, but will I kick myself later when I did not spend the extra and the full size embossing folders come out?

What would you do?

TIA,
Katie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi! I don't know if you're still considering this or not but I have a Pro and I love it. I have a dedicated scrap space so I'm not at all concerned with having to put it away and get it back out and that makes a big difference since the machine is so large. I use it for my embossing folders and Nesties. Think about it though, you could cut and emboss with a Nestie in the background of your layout. You could use a Quickutz 12" embossing folder to create borders on your layout. You could create your own "embossing folders" with chipboard shapes and run them through the machine anywhere on your project. I totally think the machine is a great investment. And Sizzix has amazing customer service. I am hoping for some fun 12" texure plates for the Summer CHA releses! Hope this helps. I also have some videos I've done on the Pro. You can find them on my blog. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

The Big Shot Pro is the same machine as the Ellison Elite Pro, the only difference is that it comes with platforms so you can use it with a larger variety of dies.

Marsha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I purchased one a few months ago - I LOVE IT. I make cards so I was torn if I really needed the larger machine - but I too didn't want to regret it later. I have purchased some of the larger dies - they are great!! This isn't a machine you take in and out and move around a lot - BIG and very heavy. But I am so happy I purchased it! I can use any die/embossing folder now or in the future - :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

My stamp store offered a preorder deal on the Big Shot Pro machine + six dies of my choice at a price I couldn't pass up. Since we got six dies -there was no excuse not to use the machine. The machine is large and heavy so you really do need a dedicated space for it, unless you're really into working out. It's a tray system so it slides and is extremely easy on your hands. I was interested in this machine because I liked the size of the many boxes and bags, especially the pillow box and the shirt box. The gifts bags and take-out box are some of my other favorites and are quite large and you don't have a lot of pieces to put together unlike some of the Bigz dies where it's almost a puzzle to put together a box or bag.

You can use almost any dies or embossing plates/folders in this machine and you can cut a bunch of different quickcuts or nesties at the same time. That being said, I still do have my Big Shot (can't seem to let it go) and prefer to use that for my smaller dies and embossing folders since it's right on my craft table. My Pro machine is currently on another table which doesn't have any work space (gotta rethink that later)

So, if you have the space and you like the big dies - then it may be worth it. But if you're looking at just the embossing folders, nesties, regular dies or Bigz dies, then a Big Shot may be something you might consider and it certainly is easier on the pocketbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow! That's cool! I started with the machine and the A6 Scallop card and Envelope set then I bought the Pillow Box. I love it! I used it to teach a birthday party project for a teenage girl. They created a mini album and tucked it inside the decorated pillow box that was cut from clear plastic sheets I bought from Accucut. Here's the link to them in my gallery:

Big Shot Pro Pillow Box and Mini Album by roclesgirl at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by roclesgirl; 05-27-2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: my pics were'nt showing up so I added links instead
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my BPS! While it's marketed for the large 12x12 dies (I love them!), it also accepts every die/embossing folder/embossing plate made for the smaller machines. I do use the 12x12 dies, but I mostly use regular-size dies in my BSP. I love that I can send through 12x12 paper/cardstock and place the diecut anywhere on the page. I also use the QuicKutz 12" embossing borders and 12" die borders to edge 12x12 paper. They're for borders, so while they're 12" long, they're only 2-4" wide.

I buy the large Ellison education dies when they're on clearance to use with the BSP, too. I recently got about 20 Ellison dies for cards, envelopes, bags, and boxes. Most were $15-17. The most expensive was $23.

The BSP is a huge machine, but if it's in your budget, it would allow you to do everything in every size (up to 12" wide) with just that machine. It's huge, though, and unless you have a place to leave it accessible, it would probably be a hassle to get it out every time you wanted to use a die/embossing folder/embossing plate. I definitely kept my Big Kick (and Cuttlebug and Big Shot lol).

There's a new BSP that's being marketed for quilters called the BSP Westminster Edition. It's the exact same machine as the current (blue) BSP, but it's purple and comes with a longer tray, longer adapter pad, and longer cutting pad. There will be some 25" long dies available for the BSP (both colors) soon, and they will need the longer accessories.

Buying the extended tray, extended adapter pad, and extended cutting pad would cost $190, but the purple BSP that comes WITH those is only $50 more than the blue BSP (that comes with the standard 12x12 tray, adapter, and cutting pad). If I were buying now, I would buy the purple machine because 1) it's purple, 2) it comes with the extended stuff that can be used with long or regular dies, and 3) while there are not any long BSP dies I want right now, there may be some released in the future that I do want.

The extended tray & such are also needed for the Ellison EW dies, which are 11.75x19.5.

What I'm waiting for now is 12x12 embossing plates/folders!

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 05-27-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by roclesgirlView Post
Wow! That's cool! I started with the machine and the A6 Scallop card and Envelope set then I bought the Pillow Box. I love it! I used it to teach a birthday party project for a teenage girl. They created a mini album and tucked it inside the decorated pillow box that was cut from clear plastic sheets I bought from Accucut. Here's the link to them in my gallery:

I love your projects with the BSP Pillow Box Die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Roclesgirl, did you use the .007" thick clear sheets or the .02" thick clear sheets with the BSP Pillow Box die? I've used transparencies, but they're not as clear. Your project looks so much nicer!

http://www.accucutcraft.com/Clear_Pl...-path926.html?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
Roclesgirl, did you use the .007" thick clear sheets or the .02" thick clear sheets with the BSP Pillow Box die? I've used transparencies, but they're not as clear. Your project looks so much nicer!

Thanks!
Hi and thank you! I bought the .02 (item number CPS1225). They cut and crease nicely in the BSP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I love your projects with the BSP Pillow Box Die!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Thanks! I'm off to order some!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks!
Meg, I buy EIKO heavy duty office transparency sheets - if you can find them, they are awesome. They aren't staticy, and they are thick - .007. I got them in a box of 100 for $20 but they were on sale so I ended up doing a buy one box get one box half price - so I got 200 of them for $30. They crease nicely and make great boxes and bags and such. And they're cheaper than the clear plastic craft sheets - plus very clear.

Though I am very temped to get the .02 weight in the clear craft plastic for some bigger boxes!

Edit: Oh sorry. I didn't realize the Accu Cut ones were 12x12. The EIKO are only 8.5x11. Nevermind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Hi Nikki!

I'll look into those transparencies. I don't always need 12x12, but I do like crystal clear.

I found 12x12 clear sheets on Amazon for $20.99 for 25 sheets. Here's the product description:

"Grafix Craft Plastic Heavy Weight is a .020" thick, rigid plastic sheet. Simply peel away the blue liner to reveal a perfectly clear surface for creating Scrapbook Pages, Embellishments, Die Cuts and more. Craft Plastic is acid free!"

The store is joann.com on amazon.com. Orders over $35 have free shipping, so I bought 2 packs.

Oddly, I can't find the item now on the joann.com store on Amazon. Perhaps I bought the last 2 packs? Other sellers have the same item for a few dollars more and no free shipping. Still less expensive than the Accucut site, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-Craft-P...5079372&sr=8-1

For those who may want to Google the item, here's the info: Grafix Craft Plastic Sheets, 12-Inch by 12-Inch, 25/Pkg, Clear .020
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Okay, I did find a pack of 4 - 12x12 Grafix .02 sheets on joann.com @ amazon.com for $5.99. They qualify for the shipping deal -- $35 gets free shipping. There are various sizes and both thicknesses, so you could mix & match to get the shipping deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Plastic-...080332&sr=1-23

If anyone wants the packs of 25, I think if you wait a day or two, they may be back in stock.

I'll be really bummed if I get a notice from joann.com @ amazon.com that the item is out of stock. I have really bad luck with all things Jo-Ann, I swear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Meg! Awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my BSP. One of the best craft purchases that I have ever made (and that's saying something!). Of course, I'm going to have to check out the Westminster edition (at least the larger tray, et al). Just when you think you have it all . . .

Megan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I too love my Pro. Yep, I can't wait to see what they come out with for us non-quilters for the 25" tray! That is HUGE!

I'm so impressed with the Pro and all it can do! I've got my eye on a few of the new dies too. hehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I am buying one of these next year and simply can't wait! I'm already excited. I am going to get the one that comes with the extended tray because I know I will want it all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I am >this< close to getting one of these machines! I am wondering, did you get one? If so, how do you like it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapinalongView Post
I am >this< close to getting one of these machines! I am wondering, did you get one? If so, how do you like it?
Not to be a big enabler or anything but GET IT!!! Lol. No seriously, I really love mine! I am amazed at all the projects you can make with it. I love the big dies too. I can't wait to see what they release at the upcoming CHA for it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

LOL --Thanks for the enabling. ;) I think I am going to order this - just want to be sure it is worth it. KWIM? What have you used it for? Is it hard to crank? What about smaller projects - do you use it for just one emboss folder or die?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapinalongView Post
LOL --Thanks for the enabling. ;) I think I am going to order this - just want to be sure it is worth it. KWIM? What have you used it for? Is it hard to crank? What about smaller projects - do you use it for just one emboss folder or die?
The size of the machine works to it's own advantage. I crank the handle with one hand usually. I have it on top of a dresser in my bedroom for the time being. I do use it sometimes for my smaller projects but I also have a cuttlebug so it just depends on whether or not my bug is out. The Pro is just as easy to use for one die/embossing folder as it is for 4 or 5. I have done a few videos on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76j_hTYrmpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cFBCTHJVu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cCuNDB9YWU

I also completed a project yesterday and it's on my blog...

http://katiepiotrowski.blogspot.com/...lenge-022.html

I really do love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I am using my BSP for everything - the BSP dies, Bigz dies, embossing folders, texturz plates, etc. I have enough room to leave it out and use it instead of my Big Kick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been reading all your comments on the BSP, Didn't know if I would use it that much and needed to justify the cost... always great to hear what fellow crafters think! I loved all the possitive comments...
I just ordered one from Joanns.com it was 40% off...
now I need to know where to get the best price on the grand nestabilites. it seems I saw them someplace for $39 each, but when you go to so many places you can't remember where it...
can anyone help!
thanks bunches!

" If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spread it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.
~Brendan Frances~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydekayView Post
I have been reading all your comments on the BSP, Didn't know if I would use it that much and needed to justify the cost... always great to hear what fellow crafters think! I loved all the possitive comments...
I just ordered one from Joanns.com it was 40% off...
now I need to know where to get the best price on the grand nestabilites. it seems I saw them someplace for $39 each, but when you go to so many places you can't remember where it...
can anyone help!
thanks bunches!
LOL - I just did the same thing. 40% off and free shipping pushed me over the edge!

Now I need to find out what these grand nesties are that you're talking about! I should have known I would find more things I *need* from reading this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Have any of you used the grand nestabiblites in your BSP? I would love to get some. Will they work since they are so thin. would I need to purchase another plate or something?? Thanks for any info you amazing crafters may have!
Reply With Quote Likes